Mega SD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ApolloBoy

Re: Mega SD

Post by ApolloBoy »

I got the tracking number for mine but nothing seems to come up...
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Yeah I got mine a month ago now and it still doesn't show up on DHL, I'm not to worried about that, from looking at the Terra Onion forum this is the case with a lot of people, then it just suddenly becomes active. If I don't see some movement this week though I'm going to be extremely pissed off, I pre ordered in the first week of July.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Once I got my tracking number it took around two weeks before any information showed up online (where the package was, ect) just to let you guys know. I received my package without issue so I wouldn't be too concerned yet if I was you.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Zero units have gone missing so far. TO is shipping them in the order of purchase, but they cannot tell the government the order to process them. To provide a real world example, I had order number 6 of the JagSD. Mine went missing for a week with no tracking updates or movements from the time it was supposed to leave the UK. In the meantime most other purchasers of the original 80 received theirs. All of a sudden the tracking updated and it was delivered the next day.

Was it Saints fault that it went missing for a week? Should he have told the postal services to deliver in the order of purchase? Lets be serious.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

MY LIFE IN GAMING put a video out about the MegaSD
https://youtu.be/5dagh9m8l1M

Don't own one, but pretty cool how you can Embed CD Music into a Cartridge with it.
Hoping someone does a new version of Sortie, Transparent Obstacle and Adventures of Iron from Gauntlet IV.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

I see some folks are having trouble with the tracking but eventually got their package.

I'm in the same boat my tracking number for DHL ain't working. I'll remain optimistic the pack is still on the way.
No Onions

Post by No Onions »

I got a tracking number on August 11th, it wasn't showing up on the DHL website until last Thursday September 5th and it was delivered yesterday.

I would say the customs clearance out of Andorra is slow like has been stated in this thread and once DHL has it you will get your package pretty quickly.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Mine just turned up without warning on Monday while I was at work, luckily my wife was in to take delivery. £56 customs fees which is ludicrous, but I'm past worrying about it now, I've got it and it looks good quality though I've not had a chance to test it yet, going to try and do that tonight.

Last time I import anything from abroad for a while though, it is pretty expensive, I'm purposely avoiding looking at the Analogue site to see what new delights are coming out lol
strygo

Post by strygo »

Mine is on track for delivery later today.

Is there a recommended SD card size / model that fits the library and minimizes any access noise? Ideally one that I can grab from Amazon Prime. :)
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I think my set was around 80 GB, the whole md/sms/32x library is less than 4g as well, so a 128 will cover everything and have some room. I mean I guess unless you have like each region of a game or something... then probably need bigger.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I played it safe and picked up a 256 gb Sandisk pro from Amazon, but to be honest that was overkill - I've put on all games from all regions of the Sega CD and Mega drive libraries, as well as everything for SMS on there, and there's still a bunch of room.

Still not got round to testing the Mega SD, I need to alter the way I've put some multi disk games on the card, as I realise now from YouTube I've made a few mistakes when setting it up. I didn't feel like doing it last night, hard day at work. 3 day weekend after today though, so hopefully should get at least 1 full day of Sega CD goodness in :D
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Question does the tracking number come only in the form of a link or are there also a set of numbers and letters?

Mine only came as a link, is that normal?
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Rock Man wrote:Question does the tracking number come only in the form of a link or are there also a set of numbers and letters?

Yeah I believe I got a number, with a link (which never worked) I wouldn't worry, the process is slow but everyone seems to get it through in the end.

I must say I'm loving the Mega SD, got a full day with it over the weekend, finished a few the of old favourites including Starwars: Rebel Assault (OMG the controls, if it wasn't Starwars themed, I'd have jacked that one in) Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2, Who Shot Johnny Rock (I must say I only had the PC version back in the day, and the game is extremely blurry on the Sega CD, to the point of unplayable - it'll need patience) And the Terminator game which is excellent. I need to get into Snatcher at some point, that's a totally new game to me.

The system isn't great for SHMUPS sadly, only about 4 on there and I can't stand 2 of them, I used to love Robo Aleste back in the day, but I've kind of got lukewarm to it over the years, it's okay but its no MUSHA. Keio Flying Squadron is pretty good, but got to be in the mood for that one, not the biggest cute em' up fan.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Flashman wrote:
Rock Man wrote:Question does the tracking number come only in the form of a link or are there also a set of numbers and letters?

Yeah I believe I got a number, with a link (which never worked) I wouldn't worry, the process is slow but everyone seems to get it through in the end.

I must say I'm loving the Mega SD, got a full day with it over the weekend, finished a few the of old favourites including Starwars: Rebel Assault (OMG the controls, if it wasn't Starwars themed, I'd have jacked that one in) Lethal Enforcers 1 & 2, Who Shot Johnny Rock (I must say I only had the PC version back in the day, and the game is extremely blurry on the Sega CD, to the point of unplayable - it'll need patience) And the Terminator game which is excellent. I need to get into Snatcher at some point, that's a totally new game to me.

The system isn't great for SHMUPS sadly, only about 4 on there and I can't stand 2 of them, I used to love Robo Aleste back in the day, but I've kind of got lukewarm to it over the years, it's okay but its no MUSHA. Keio Flying Squadron is pretty good, but got to be in the mood for that one, not the biggest cute em' up fan.
Lords of Thunder man come on
it290

Post by it290 »

My package got delivered last Tuesday while I was out of town. Unfortunately, a thief got to it (no doubt tempted by the 'video game accessory' text displayed prominently on the label) :(. Hoping I can file a claim with DHL but not holding my breath. The really infuriating thing is that the thief in all likelihood has no idea what to do with the thing, so it'll probably just end up in the garbage somewhere... grrr
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

it290 wrote:My package got delivered last Tuesday while I was out of town. Unfortunately, a thief got to it (no doubt tempted by the 'video game accessory' text displayed prominently on the label) :(. Hoping I can file a claim with DHL but not holding my breath. The really infuriating thing is that the thief in all likelihood has no idea what to do with the thing, so it'll probably just end up in the garbage somewhere... grrr
That's terrible. Hopefully the DHL claim will work eventually. In the meantime I'd save an eBay search for any listing of a MegaSD. I'd also try to get in touch with TO to see if they can connect the serial number to your order, which would make it easier to identify the stolen cart.
broken

Post by broken »

it290 wrote:My package got delivered last Tuesday while I was out of town. Unfortunately, a thief got to it (no doubt tempted by the 'video game accessory' text displayed prominently on the label) :(. Hoping I can file a claim with DHL but not holding my breath. The really infuriating thing is that the thief in all likelihood has no idea what to do with the thing, so it'll probably just end up in the garbage somewhere... grrr

Oh wow, that sucks.

Drop us an email with your order number and full details about what happened and what you have done and we can see what we can do about this from our end.

Support(at)terraonion.com
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is there going to be a v2 that addresses the beveling issue on the cart contacts?
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

maxtherabbit wrote: Lords of Thunder man come on
Never really liked it to be honest :) I did have a 10 minute try over the weekend, might put some more time into it.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Alert Terra Onion too - unlikely to happen, but if the thief decides to flip it, the person who buys will need to register your Mega SD's number to get firmware.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Flashman wrote:

You were right. I just received a text through my cell phone with the updated tracking information. For those who did not order yet and are considering it, upon your purchase if you've got a cellular phone capable of text. Make certain that you provide your phone number when you order because they text you at the same time Waybill locks on to your tracking info. Apparently mine is due very soon, at least I can keep an eye on it now that tracking data is visible to me.
it290

Post by it290 »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've sent an email to TO and have set up a saved eBay search (although I'm pessimistic about it turning up there—the thief could probably also turn it around on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc). Will contact DHL tomorrow and see if anything can be done on that end.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

I feel terrible after seeing this man. Want a free comic? Anything to cheer you up.

I make books, I could hook you up. PM me your address I'll cover the shipping and have the book sent out to you.
it290

Post by it290 »

Hey Rock Man,

I appreciate it, totally not necessary though. This stuff happens... I've been pretty lucky so far, I live in a high foot traffic area, so if anything it's a good lesson to have this kind of stuff shipped to my work address in the future. On the plus side I was in Hawaii hiking across Haleakala crater when this all went down, so that definitely helped me forget about my sour mood pretty much completely. :)
copy

Post by copy »

SavagePencil wrote:Is there going to be a v2 that addresses the beveling issue on the cart contacts?
I've heard that from a couple places now. Is there a review that details this? All I found so far is MLIG saying it's "subtly chamfered."
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

I saw Voultar posting about it on Twitter, but wasn’t sure if it was even a real concern.
copy

Post by copy »

Found it. Sounds like a genuine issue:

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1172302861104869377
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

Mine finally arrived this week and I’m impressed so far, a dream team up with my Mega Sg. One thing though, my cart wasn’t packed in a baggie and the back of my cart shell has a few scuffs and scratches on it. Not a big deal as it’s on the back but for for such an expensive product it’s a bit disappointing. Did anyone else one get one like this or are they in general mint and I got unlucky? I’m thinking to contact support and ask for a new shell.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Larrs888 wrote:Mine finally arrived this week and I’m impressed so far, a dream team up with my Mega Sg. One thing though, my cart wasn’t packed in a baggie and the back of my cart shell has a few scuffs and scratches on it. Not a big deal as it’s on the back but for for such an expensive product it’s a bit disappointing. Did anyone else one get one like this or are they in general mint and I got unlucky? I’m thinking to contact support and ask for a new shell.
I've also teamed mine up with the Mega SG, and it is indeed a great combo. Mine arrived pretty well packed and scratch free.

What is this Beveling issue in layman's teams? does it mean the product hasn't been made to the industry standard? I will be kind of pissed off if it dies in a year and a V2 solves the problem for people who purchased later, or indeed if there is a risk of it damaging my Mega SD.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Flashman wrote:What is this Beveling issue in layman's teams? does it mean the product hasn't been made to the industry standard? I will be kind of pissed off if it dies in a year and a V2 solves the problem for people who purchased later, or indeed if there is a risk of it damaging my Mega SD.
The very edge of the circuitboard portion of a game cartridge is supposed to have a rounded/angled touch to ease insertion into the receiving connector of the system. Cheap/bootleg varieties like you'd buy from AliExpress vendors don't bother with this as a cost saving measure. Without it, it could potentially catch a connector finger just right and bend it out of alignment or screw it up in some other way.

One could always bevel the edge themselves with sand paper or a handfile, but understandably, most people would not feel comfortable doing this and there could be concerns of electrostatic discharge damage from the friction. If you can brave the chances of plugging the cartridge in just once and leave it in there for the rest of time then the issue becomes somewhat moot.

Personally I leave my Everdrive cartridges inserted and don't generally remove them when I'm done playing as I feel the insertion/removal cycle commits more wear and tear on the connector than just leaving the thing in. I would also expect a $300+ luxury product to have the consideration of a beveled card edge, nonetheless.