Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
47%

Total votes: 53

quash

Re: 2020 (D) Presidential Primary

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:
quash wrote:I'm giving you the tl;dr version of a journal published by Palgrave. You know, world renowned political science publisher. If I had more faith in you I'd have just linked the source material.
How many times have you or Rob skipped into the forum waving around some published paper like it's a magical talisman, only for me to read the paper then explain to you how your tl;dr curator is lying to you?

Why don't you just link the source material?
"Don't let them tell you what to think, let me do it!"

https://youtu.be/hbEhOXa8dTU
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:"Don't let them tell you what to think, let me do it!"

https://youtu.be/hbEhOXa8dTU
Well I am the guy you're talking to here, that naturally implies that you're interested in a free and open exchange of ideas.

So no link to the original article then? How exactly am I supposed to analyze that article and give my honest opinion when it's all chopped up like that? I mean we just discussed another one of these guys selectively omitting parts of a quote to draw unwarranted conclusions.

Geez, if I believed there was a theocratic Caliphate operating in the US, it'd be a source of stress. If someone offered to prove that it didn't really exist, I'd want to hear it. Finding out it's bullshit would be a huge burden off my shoulders.

But I guess there's a level of stress that comes with leaving conspiracyland. If we're not hopelessly under the thumbs of alien pedo lizard men, that means it's possible you could do something to make the world a better place, and that's a daunting prospect.

Also that meme sucked. They should have juxtaposed with Paul Reiser making insincere promises, not getting eaten. Is the xenomorph supposed to be Alex Jones?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

I couldn't find it on Scribd so I hope you have $70.

Interesting to see the glowing endorsements it gets from powerful individuals in such groups as Amnesty International and B'nai B'rith. Almost tells you everything you need to know without even reading it. Almost.
Rob

Post by Rob »

To go back a page, I thought Bernie's answer was weak because the question was weak - it was framed in a way that let him avoid the core concern (sustainability) and smash it out of the park by simply repeating a few crowd pleasing words back to her ("oh yes, female empowerment!"). Like, what if "female empowerment" still results in Nigerian women wanting and having 4 children each? These men and women don't seem to want less than 4. Will those convinced of climate apocalypse soothsaying, like hippie questioner, be satisfied with others not making the "right" choice? We are going to save the planet (!!) through voluntarism? We expect globally conscious thinking from people who can't satisfactorily manage their micro-regions?

https://twitter.com/MaryMargOlohan/stat ... 5722472449

Now the above Buttigieg clip is what I expect from cutting edge liberalism on the subject of unkilled babies. Reminiscent of this gem from Kathy Tran earlier in the year.
When a Republican lawmaker asked during the hearing whether the bill would allow for an abortion to occur when a woman is in labor and about to give birth, Tran said yes.

But on Thursday, Tran, a mother of four, corrected herself. “I should have said: ‘Clearly, no, because infanticide is not allowed in Virginia, and what would have happened in that moment would be a live birth.’ ”
She apparently misspoke, though, which I think means that she was a few minutes off.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If sustainability through population control is your focus, Rob, forget Nigerian mothers of four, have you heard of the Quiverfull Movement?

Jesus Christ what a horror show that woman's pussy must be by now.

Okay quash, you win, I started reading that twitter thread. The excerpt is a boring story about how this org back in the 70s changed emphasis from population control to female empowerment because their findings showed that women with access to birth control and better self-determination have less kids naturally. This also sparked a group of female employees writing to the president of the org that no women were in leadership positions.

The only interesting thing about that thread is how all my prejudices about someone who calls himself a "Yankee Caliphate historian" were proven true.

Because his enraged commentary about this staid and inoffensive tale of people doing charity work has no connection to the actual text itself. At one point he gets to the women handing over the report asking for more female leadership to the president who the caliphate historian has been painting as a narcissistic control freak and the commentary says, "Here you can see king Bundy being petitioned. You know what he does already." which I inferred as Bundy kicking the women out of his office and firing them all or something equally horrific, but in fact he takes it under advisement and implements almost all of their suggestions. Then later on the caliphate historian starts complaining about the movement against South African apartheid as if it were a bad thing.

Why are you swimming in such cesspools, quash?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:The excerpt is a boring story about how this org back in the 70s changed emphasis from population control to female empowerment because their findings showed that women with access to birth control and better self-determination have less kids naturally.
Does this mean you do or don't understand that feminism is a method of population control? I'm guessing the latter, or at the very least, you're not understanding how it fits into the larger scheme of things.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Pat, a genius: "I'm going to fight corporations, automation and save the environment by making immigrants disappear! Yeah! That's gonna show those corporations!"

Me, a moron: "Isn't the impact you had on the Waltons at the highest, a fantasyland estimate of $2,262.86 each per year? To the absolute poorest of them, Nancy, that's 0.000000000397% of their savings? Couldn't you have had the same exact impact by breaking a few windows or trucks, and you know, not having to murder anyone? Really doesn't seem like you hate corporations at all, bro."
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

quash wrote:I couldn't find it on Scribd so I hope you have $70.

Interesting to see the glowing endorsements it gets from powerful individuals in such groups as Amnesty International and B'nai B'rith. Almost tells you everything you need to know without even reading it. Almost.
Might want to check again here (and anyone else who wants to take a look at the actual source for discussion): https://www.scribd.com/document/4251603 ... -Practices

(to get past the Amazon $18 used paywall)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mischief Maker wrote:If sustainability through population control is your focus, Rob, forget Nigerian mothers of four, have you heard of the Quiverfull Movement?
Quiverfull is a fringe movement that seems to exist exclusively for liberals, atheists, dog moms and dog dads to point and laugh at. There is nothing wrong with having a large family when no one else is doing it ("Among non-Hispanic white women, no states had a fertility rate above the replacement level"), when they have the ability and resources to raise their children, and a proper environment to raise them in. If they were unable to provide for them it would be another matter entirely ("Somebody needs to pay for all of my children!"). Nigeria's fertility rate is 5.5, many other African nations are above or around that mark and I don't think you need me to post pictures of the conditions many of those children are being born into.

That said, I didn't say I agreed with population control (in this sense) here or anywhere. I don't trust the government to brainstorm and enact ways to disrupt foreign cultures. The reproductive habits of Africans or Asians should not be in an American politician's campaign platform. The only way we should deal with this is by not offering our country as an outlet for their population overflow.

On the topic of population control, a possibly interesting oldie that I saw recently.

Here are proposals that Mr. Jaffe thought were worth tabulating (not endorsed, as the Guttmacher Institute wants to make very clear, but still tabulated). Do you trust people who propose things like "fertility control agents in water supply" or people who think proposals like that are worthy of tabulation, serious consideration, etc.?

Also interesting just to see the kinds of things that they believed would reduce fertility 50 years ago and then compare those things to the society we have today.
Working women contribute more than $7 trillion to America's economy. By 2030, 45% of working women aged 25 to 44 in the United States will be single. That will be the largest share in history, according to research by Morgan Stanley (MS), using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In 2018, single women made up 41% of working women in that age range.

Women have always tended to be the principal shoppers in American households, and single women outspend married women, the Morgan Stanley research says.
But these new worker units consume real good! The GOP celebrating population collapse with the best of 'em.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BryanM wrote:Pat, a genius: "I'm going to fight corporations, automation and save the environment by making immigrants disappear! Yeah! That's gonna show those corporations!"
Keep fighting for corporations, Bryan. You really should be getting paid at least a few cents for each of these posts, but you do it for free.
Me, a moron: "Isn't the impact you had on the Waltons at the highest, a fantasyland estimate of $2,262.86 each per year? To the absolute poorest of them, Nancy, that's 0.000000000397% of their savings? Couldn't you have had the same exact impact by breaking a few windows or trucks, and you know, not having to murder anyone? Really doesn't seem like you hate corporations at all, bro."
Honestly what are you even talking about?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out, Bolton!

Phew! What a relief to get that warmongering psycho away from Trump's ear. I mean Pompeo is still around, but take the little victories you can get. And despite what Biden says, Trump is not the cause of bad Republicanism, Bolton was a Bush jr. guy long before anyone thought a President Trump was possible.

quash

Post by quash »

The sentient mustache won't be sending us to die for Israel, after all.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Hey, a good day for humanity. Good job Trump.

srsly don't nuke Iran man.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you, BBC News. I don't think that was it, though.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I know the instant you saw that headline you saw red and didn't feel you needed to read any further, but at the bottom of that screenshot is more text putting that intentionally attention-grabbing headline in proper context.

Have you already forgotten the huge embarrassment during the Bush jr. years of all our counterterrorism "experts" being unable to tell the difference between Sunnis and Shiites? As in, "Is Iran Shia or Sunni?" As the author of the article said, that's about as bad as claiming to be an expert on the conflicts of Northern Ireland but not knowing the difference between a Catholic and a Protestant.

So yeah, maybe if we had a CIA that wasn't mostly made up of Harvard WASPs but instead included more people who had some connections and therefore knowledge of the culture and religion of the region, we might not have been caught flat-footed while our idiot president was reading "My Pet Goat."

Rob

Post by Rob »

Mischief Maker wrote:I know the instant you saw that headline you saw red and didn't feel you needed to read any further,
Yeah, I just post headlines and am not smart enough to think to actually read the articles beforehand.

The article followed clearly from the headline - too white to understand the symbolism of caves ("to a Muslim a cave is holy"), or Arabic poetry ("to white, middle class analysts, this seemed eccentric"), etc. The proof for these claims, that he wasn't taken seriously for lack of cultural knowledge, is non-existent and the claim itself is absurd.
As the author of the article said,
As for these points made in a completely separate article that I wasn't commenting on, would the problem be their race/ethnicity or their lack of relevant knowledge? I mean, are you really making an argument that it requires race/ethnicity x to understand culture x? Is that a road you really want to go down...?
we might not have been caught flat-footed while our idiot president was reading "My Pet Goat."
Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US was the title of the President's Daily Brief prepared by the Central Intelligence Agency and given to U.S. President George W. Bush on Monday, August 6, 2001. The brief warned, 36 days before the September 11 attacks, of terrorism threats from Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda, including "patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for a hijacking" of US aircraft.
Here is where the article's thesis gets flushed.

Is this being "caught flat-footed"? Did the alleged lack of knowledge about Arabic poetry or the holiness of caves prevent the "too white" CIA from being very clear about the threat, a month before it happened?
quash

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:I know the instant you saw that headline you saw red and didn't feel you needed to read any further, but at the bottom of that screenshot is more text putting that intentionally attention-grabbing headline in proper context.
This is really just embarrassing at this point. For you, I mean.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Bunch of random stuff in here without any overarching theme at the moment
Mischief Maker wrote:How many times have you or Rob skipped into the forum waving around some published paper like it's a magical talisman, only for me to read the paper then explain to you how your tl;dr curator is lying to you?
LOL (either way)
Thank you, BBC News. I don't think that was it, though.
Nah, we know the reason was simple apathy. Fast forward 15 years and the CIA and Al Qaeda were best buddies again without even trying to hide it.
Here are proposals that Mr. Jaffe thought were worth tabulating
This is interesting. So somebody had a plan drawn up. If we assume that it was put into action and is now accompanied by a proven track record, what happened to it? Who (aside from the Catholic church) opposed it?

It's funny to consider the possibility of there having been an underhanded plot to socially engineer lower birthrates, when related issues (climate change, resource conflicts, migration) are big on the current political scene. But the establishment doesn't have much to say about population. They still run the occasional "Malthus was wrong!" and "Japan is self destructing!" articles.

Is W. Shockley in fact William Shockley the transistor guy?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Care for more Lead in your water?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/clean-wate ... ion-today/

But hey, it's all okay as long as it supports more economic growth. Right?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Dan Lipinski's little meltdown is quite hilarious. A big rant of "electability!" concern trolling. In a district that's over 70% D.

Last year she was ~1% away from kicking him out of congress forever. With this tiny push, he knows it's over. 14 years, 36 if you count his father's time in the seat as part of his reign (you should).... probably not gonna get a ton of those $400,000 "speeches" out of it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

U.S. Orders 2 Universities to Recast Tone on Israel
In a rare instance of federal intervention in college course content, the department asserted that the universities’ Middle East program violated the standards of a federal program that awards funding to international studies and foreign language programs. The inquiry was part of a far-reaching investigation into the program by the department, which under Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, has become increasingly aggressive in going after perceived anti-Israel bias in higher education.

That focus appears to reflect the views of an agency leadership that includes a civil rights chief, Kenneth L. Marcus, who has made a career of pro-Israel advocacy and has waged a yearslong campaign to delegitimize and defund Middle East studies programs that he has criticized as rife with anti-Israel bias.
Amazing.
Later in 2011, Marcus founded the Louis D. Brandeis Center for Human Rights Under Law in order to "advance the civil and human rights of the Jewish people and promote justice for all." The following year, The Jewish Forward named him to the "Forward 50" list of American Jews who had the greatest impact on the news during the prior year, based on his innovative use of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to protect Jewish college and university students.
So, basically, Kenneth Marcus is in a position of power in our government that he plainly uses for ethnic activism.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Choose your fighter.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Conservatives do love their out-of-context quotes. Got a quote that proves Martin Luther King was an ancap?

Yeah, the problem with ecofascism is that global warming is a global problem.

Hiding behind a wall with the stated intention of keeping modern technology out of the hands of brown people to "reduce carbon footprints" kinda falls apart when Brazilian agribusiness under the fascist Bolsonaro government are using the primitive fertilization technique of burning the Amazon Rainforest down.

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Don't worry. if immigration causes them such ache and worry, here's the solution for those True American Patriots(TM):

ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Assange publishes DNC emails, revealing their corruption = can't we drone this guy?
Some anonymous deepstate douche leaks details about the President's phone call, revealing... that he wanted something less far-fetched than Russiagate to be investigated? = whistleblower!
Choose your fighter.
The girl character looks like her ultimate move gauge is already maxxed out.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I was wondering which gallant member of the (((shmupsfarm))) resistance force would finally crack the ice. :lol:
ED-057 wrote:that he wanted something less far-fetched than Russiagate to be investigated?
First, this.

Second, presumably the whole "using taxpayer dollars to pressure a foreign entity to increase one's election odds" part hasn't registered. And won't, because as long as it pisses off the libtards it's fair game, no matter what; I'm looking forward to the inevitable "he didn't say, verbatim, 'I'm using this aid to bribe you into taking action against my political opponent', so you're just freaking out about nothing again" argument. :lol:

Third, the whistleblower here went through official channels all the way up, despite assuredly knowing that Barr et al would do their damndest to stand in the way. But of course that particular brand of subterfuge, no matter how many times it happens, doesn't fall under the "deep state" umbrella. :roll:

Fourth, even when the information was leaked in "illegal" fashion, the DNC chairperson still resigned under pressure in its wake; Trump, of course, will face no such pressure whatsoever from the yeeahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeaaahhh party and its assorted "independent" flunkies.

But whatever - Daddy will flout the oath of office ad nauseam and dare anyone to do anything about it, because that's what his nihilist base wants; whenever anyone so much as criticizes him for it, let alone takes concrete action, that's proof of the conspiracy. :lol: Checkmate, foiled again, you cheeky little monkeys are just too darn clever! :lol:
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Using tax-payer dollars to influence foreign entities and politically motivated investigations are normal, for better or worse. Dems have zero self awareness. Zero.