NGPC Backlight kit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
it290

NGPC Backlight kit

Post by it290 »

So I just ordered one of these from Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000062022460.html

The seller assures me that it can fit in a standard NGPC with no case modification required and minimal soldering.
Has anyone installed one of these guys yet? I'm curious as to how involved the process is and what the final product looks like. I did a frontlight mod on another NGPC and wasn't super happy with it so I'm hoping this sucker can achieve a level of quality on par with the drop-in replacements that are available for GBC these days.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
opt2not

Re: NGPC Backlight kit

Post by opt2not »

The screen is a fair bit smaller than the original:

it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, I think all the kits that are currently available are kinda like that though. I'll probably need to devise some sort of matte, don't really like the exposed elements visible thru the lens thing. Hopefully someone will offer a custom replacement lens at some point...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

A Wonderswan Color replacement screen would be nice as well, considering how expensive WS Crystals are nowadays
Really hope a consolized or FPGA WS comes out someday as well, its games deserve to be played with an arcade stick or at least a proper d-pad
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Yeah the size is a deal breaker to me. I have no interest in making it smaller.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

McWill needs to get all over this, I would be prepared to donate him several consoles to make this happen.

Maybe I'll drop him an e-mail later today. Can't hurt to try.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Taiyaki wrote:Yeah the size is a deal breaker to me. I have no interest in making it smaller.
Yeah I am of the same opinion. That's just too much of a drop in size IMHO.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Is there any tearing or other issues with this solution?
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm not a huge fan of the smaller screen, obviously, but frankly I just don't find handhelds without some sort of lighting solution playable since my main time to play them is at night and often outdoors or in a dark room. I did a frontlight mod on my other NGPC again and it's serviceable but the quality sucks even next to something like the original GBA SP. Having a really sharp, saturated, bright image is a huge bonus for me, and since the mod is easily reversible I figure why not.

Not sure on tearing or other issues but I'll let you know once I've installed it. From what I've gathered, the screen is something like 4x resolution so the individual pixel boundaries are obviously not going to be as well defined, but it's supposed to be integer scaling so that should work out. I have heard that the same screen does have some tearing issues on the GBC, but the GBC operates at around 59.73hz and this is a 60hz screen so that's to be expected. The NGPC apparently works at 60, so crossing my fingers there will be no refresh issues.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Tentatively interested, but really, that reduction in real estate is a major mark against it for me. My eyes aren't getting any younger.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would much rather have the smaller screen than one that isn't integer scaled.
it290

Post by it290 »

Ended up doing the mod today. Pretty easy install, although I was disheartened to find that the matte I used left just a teensy smidgen of visible area on the bottom of the screen. Ah well, not too distracting. I'm super happy with the quality—there's no tearing and the colors are incredibly vivid, revealing details I never knew existed and really breathing new life into the NGPC for me. The smaller size is obviously a bit of a downgrade, but it's equivalent to a GBC so not really a major issue and a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. The other noticeable thing is that the pixel density is much higher, so you can't really see the pixel borders at all, but really that's hardly a gripe either. Definitely worth the scratch until a full size (and hopefully proper dot pitch) screen comes out and leaps and bounds beyond any of the frontlight mods out there.

Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Nice picture. I still think the loss in real estate is an instant killer to me. I too hope someone comes up with an optimal specially made option someday.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

jd213 wrote:A Wonderswan Color replacement screen would be nice as well, considering how expensive WS Crystals are nowadays
Really hope a consolized or FPGA WS comes out someday as well, its games deserve to be played with an arcade stick or at least a proper d-pad
Your wish is granted!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZWjwxzZuo
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593853017896
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

The taobao link errors out here. Both yours and the one in the YouTube video.

Would this work in a crystal? That's the only WS I have.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

DejahThoris wrote:The taobao link errors out here. Both yours and the one in the YouTube video.

Would this work in a crystal? That's the only WS I have.

The overworld music in Final fantasy II WS still gives me tingles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenY9tB ... 1n&index=8

I only have the Crystal as well.

He says in the video at 5:20 that many people have reported it works perfectly for crystal as well
Copyright 1987
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Thanks for that. I'll admit to not having watched it all the way through.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I got to use one of the NGPC kits the other day, and I'm fairly certain it's got some tearing going on. Since almost all NGPC game are 30fps (why??) it's a little harder to tell, and has a little less negative impact.

It is possible that the game I was looking at itself has image update problems, so I can't say for sure.
it290

Post by it290 »

What game were you looking at? I haven't been able to detect any visible tearing in fast-moving games like Sonic.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

BONKERS wrote:
jd213 wrote:A Wonderswan Color replacement screen would be nice as well, considering how expensive WS Crystals are nowadays
Your wish is granted!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZWjwxzZuo
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=593853017896
Nice, looks pretty good. Although the price, the shortened battery life, and needing to cut the internal casing are somewhat disappointing. Will probably get one of these eventually to replace my WS Color screen, though.

Not planning on replacing the screen in my WS Crystal, but I could've sworn its screen has a different ribbon cable (opened both a Color and a Crystal to see if the screens could be swapped a while ago), so I'm not sure if this kit can really be used in both as the video indicates.