Shmups you enjoy

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Emuser

Shmups you enjoy

Post by Emuser »

So in light of recent events, I decided to start a new topic so we can talk about Shmups we enjoy. Just talk about one shmup per post, what you find fun about it and what would be the hook or reason for someone to play this game. No flaming, semantics, or game hating in this topic please as I've already been warned against violating the rules further. No attacking people for their choice of games either, I only want to see fresh posts per post on this topic. I'll start with:

I discovered how amazing Salamander 2 is just about 7 years ago. I had a few drinks along the way playing through this game I've never played before and the journey was amazing, I cannot freaking believe that this game gets absolutely no attention ever. Shame on you Shmups forum, this game is truly like no other hori I've ever played and definitely wins the award for biggest hidden gem if I ever saw one. Even the unused music is on an unreal level that I am played BWR+ to the tune of some of these tracks because it is illegal how good they are but not used anywhere. FIRE TRIPPER DO YOU BELIIIIIIIIEVEEEEE IN DAT SOUNDTRACK

It sickens me how racial yall can be to hori shooters, they want a chance to be played too you know, but naw yall just gon' hate on them cause they're hori. I mean Gradius I and II made people mad because they were too easy so they bitched x 10 about it, so Konami got really butthurt and decided to make Gradius III to get angry Konami fanboys to just stfu about their game being for babies. Yall pushed them so hard because they were a hori shooter company, and look what happened! They got so mad that they decided to make a game they weren't absolutely certain anyone could actually beat.

I used to hate hori too till I gave them a chance and realized that honestly there's nothing seriously wrong with them. You just have to work a little harder because its generally a given that there's going to be other things you have to worry about than just bullets. The bullets are not like cave where its like HERP DERP FILL THE SCREEN WITH PINK BULLETS, INSTAN SUCCESS LOL inb4 kid gets mad and doj being excellent rant.

For a very very long time I wondered whatever happened to Konami in their endeavors of making the most frustrating shmups ever known to mankind. I just assumed that they went to hell after Gradius II and Trigon, but for some reason it took me nearly 13 years of playing shmups to finally discover Salamander 2. I'd heard it was too hard and stupid so I ignored it since I first downloaded mame, but I decided to just give it a shot since I had cleared Gradius III 7 years ago and honestly I cannot imagine any video game being a worse experience to successfully 1cc than Gradius III(just 1 loop, you have to be fucking diseased to think of playing the 2nd loop in that game). But anyways Konami, I know now that they realized just what they achieved after releasing this game years after Gradius III, the team actually quit very shortly after because they knew their lives were now complete with Fire Tripper and the rest of DAT SOUNDTRACK. They knew everything afterwards would be futile as people would just be like "this isn't as good as Salamander 2" to everything Konami released afterwards. Before my first credit I asked someone what to expect, and they said more or less the same Konami bullshit that I'm familiar with already. Well I booted it up and the music in the intro and the intro itself gave me this impression that I was about to dive into something bigger than the same Konami bullshit. After playing my first credit and getting to stage 4, I talked to Ratikal about it and apparently DAT SOUNDTRACK he knew about the game for some time now. HE KNEW. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE FUCKING TELL ME ABOUT THIS GAME?? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I PLAYED GRADIUS III?? IF I KNEW HOW AWESOME SALAMANDER 2 WAS I WOULDN'T HAVE TOUCHED GRADIUS III OMFG. DAT SOUNDTRACK

Yall don't realize how happy I could have been whenever I mentioned Gradius III and an angel from heaven or a hero against all odds emerges from the shadows and is like "Yo dawg I herd U like Konami Bullshit, but instead of bullshit you about the bullshit, I'm gonna bullshit the bullshit and tell you to fucking play Salamander 2 right the fuck now!" Go play mars matrix? Moar like get off your fat ass and play Salamander 2 you stupid mother fucker, why would you listen to anyone but the TRUE authority on Konami bullshit, and I assure you there's absolutely a little bit present in this game DAT SOUNDTRACK.

So now I must ask, is there some reason no one ever mentions this game? I've played many many shmups, and I have to say this is truly a god tier hori, no doubt about it that this is one of the best from its era and definitely a candidate for best hori Konami has ever made. From the words of someone I can't really remember right now: "If you do not like this game then you are a huge faggot" Maybe a little bit exaggerated but UTTERLY true. This game is so fucking amazing that the decision to go for the 2-ALL in it has never been easier.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Re: Shmups you enjoy

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I like Cambria Sword. Really nice metal music, 11 stages of content, like fifty weapons, tons of strategy.

This game has extreme replayability. People seem to not like it much because the first three stages are boring, but not only does it get better lategame but it's also clearly a boss game. So many damn bosses!

Another thing I like is the absolutely beautiful appearance of some of the bosses. You can really tell that Vagues (the dev) was passionate about paleontology.

The game's a big memorizer but also gives you plenty of tools to punch through things, encouraging you to get better and better with every run. It's so enjoyable to obliterate bosses that looked really hard once. Reminds me of contra in that regard.

It's a very imperfect game. I'd call it an almost direct opposite of a Cave game (extremely polished but not much replayability or variation in what you can do) which i absolutely love. If you don't mind this, I'd highly recommend CS.

Some cool stuff for any cambria sword players:
Spoiler
general:
-There's an update that makes rare weapons drop more. Also a few other changes.
-Rare weapons only drop from regular containers. The ones that spawn from you dying never have rares.
-bombing actually makes you invincible for an EXTREMELY short time. use it well. doesn't matter which bomb.

secrets:
-leaving the parts of the stage 2 boss alive cycles them several times. they get faster and attack harder, then detonate giving 4 extra powerups. Maybe a reference to timeron from gunstar heroes.
-while you encounter both anomalocarises (anomalocari?) in stage 3, hugging the right of the screen makes your score rise rapidly, if you can handle it.
-in the last segment of stage 3, damaging the right of the screen also gives score.
-destroying life/bomb hunters after they steal the life/bomb gives two powerups.
-in the groovy dimension stage, staying in the center of the spiral after you kill the boss gives you a whole bonus stage. you can also get there by getting behind the hand boss in stage 4.

weapons:
-the starter weapon has nothing special, this is important because...
regular weapon 1 makes a damaging orb around you if you hold up+left and tap for the charged shot. tapping and holding makes the orb fire forwards after a while for neat damage. the orb randomly grows to another stage which is absolutely devastating. at point-blank, you can hold the key briefly to detonate your regular charge shot, then press and hold it again to do the orb. that's alotta damage.
-weapon 7 fires one large bolt forwards if you stand still while using the charge shot
-weapon 9 does extreme damage if you space it properly (you want the bit where it turns back to go on the enemy weakpoint)
-weapon 10 does a fireball if you hold down+left while using the charge shot
-rare weapon 7 fires forwards if you hold up+right while using the charge shot
-rare weapon 8 does absolutely ridiculous damage at point blank while using the charge shot
-rare weapon 9 makes the projectiles split if you hold the fire key after using the charge shot. detonates if you only tapped.
-rare weapon 10 has a chance to do what is basically a critical hit with the charge shot. I've seen this instakill bosses.
-boxing glove blank weapon has a chance to use a bigger, more powerful version of the charge shot
-thunder force blank weapon has four different modes of fire for the regular attack, one for each kind of weapon and one where each craw fires each type. the charge shot also has a random? bigger version (not sure if random or has some weird requirement)
-ultimate invisible weapon does its absolutely broken charge shot if you hold down+right while using it. Otherwise its a wimpy laser.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

just gonna link my dumb tatsujin thread lol

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62622
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

Look at that, it seems that I actually had a positive impact on you. I'm opposed to contributing but I hope this was the spark of something good.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I don't want to know what happened in the other thread, but this thread seems benign enough...
PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:I like Cambria Sword. Really nice metal music, 11 stages of content, like fifty weapons, tons of strategy.

This game has extreme replayability. People seem to not like it much because the first three stages are boring, but not only does it get better lategame but it's also clearly a boss game. So many damn bosses!
I think the game starts to pick up around stage 3, especially by Anomalocaris, which is very demanding if you don't straight up bomb through the whole thing. A bit unfortunate that the demo ends after stage 2 (it has its moments but is hardly representative of the full game). Fortunately in the full game after you've reached stage 3, you get the choice of starting from any of the first three stages, so players who get bored by the first two stages can simply skip them.
PerishedFraud wrote:Another thing I like is the absolutely beautiful appearance of some of the bosses. You can really tell that Vagues (the dev) was passionate about paleontology.
I've seen people call the game ugly, but I genuinely like the look of it. I'm guessing it's the color palette that people dislike. It sort of reminds me of the games I would play as a kid on our family's old Windows 95/98 machine. I think it's the sort of game that looks a lot better in motion, though - Vagues put a lot of effort into the animations, not just on the big multi-part bosses but also in the individual sprites.

The random weapon drops forces you to be adaptable. There are usually multiple weapons that perform well in a given situation, and also some weapons that do terribly. You won't always be able to get the perfect weapon, but anticipating your needs and making the most of what you're given is a big part of the game. Each playthrough ends up being different due to the different tools you're given, which can be a lot of fun.

I've been doing individual stage runs recently (via stage practice) since each stage is long enough that it could almost be seen as an entire game on its own. So far I have stage 1-4 (actually an older video of mine from before I decided to run individual stages), stage 5, and stage 6/6+, which I've uploaded to YouTube and assembled into a playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZOsGffIQxb

Stage 6 is a favorite of mine since it's a boss rush, and like everything else in the game it's massive, quite possibly the biggest boss rush I've seen in a shmup.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

@Emuser

Salamander 2 is fucking awesome, dat soundtrack, dat spritework, dat adventure. I love Hori shmups personally, as they feel more like cinematic adventures than most Tate games (I love me some Tate as well though).

RE: Cambria Sword

It's literally a crime I haven't played this, as I've studied paleontology almost my entire life. I'm obsessed with Paleozoic life (dinosaurs are overrated) and I've obsessively followed the research on the Burgess Shale, Chengjiang Biota, and most recently the Qingjiang Biota literally since I was an elementary schooler. Unfortunately my PC has been completely dead for over a year and I can't replace it, but I look forward to playing this some day.

RE: The Topic
I already have an entire topic dedicated to my Darius Love. So Let's talk about Tate.

Escatos. This is the pinnacle of Tate for me. This game has such a sense of motion and adventure. I still lean back in my chair every time the ship launches up vertically from that pyramid in stage 2. I enjoy every credit I play of this game, even when I screw up and game over early on. This game is everything wonderful about the genre distilled into pure extract.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Nice Cambria playlist. Imo darkside of the moon is the single hardest stage in the game. I especially hate the opening boss since its just a dick move to anyone who memorized it from stage 2. The last boss of the stage is laughably easy in comparison, perhaps as an apology. Was nice seeing you go through it.

Very small derail btw:
Spoiler
Sorry for the wall post in the cursed thread. Wish I'd have known it'd get locked anyway.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Salamander 2 OST can never get enough love Image EVEN THE TRACKNAMES OWN (I mean this is Konami standard operating procedure, but still!)

HOW I FEEL ABOUT EM (・`W´・)

I like my STGs like I like my SUPERHARD BOOZE. Keep on shelf and bust out occasionally when I need an asswhoopin. I am very fond of Gun.Smoke as it offers a particularly organic, fiendishly reactive sort of punishment. It's a tricky motherfucker! It'll break your fuckin balls if you're out of practice, st1 never fails to kick my ass in until I regain the killer strafing edge.

THE THEME OF GUN.SMOKE (READ MY ST FFS, IT'LL BE OK I SWEAR)
>>>LMAO AT THIS FUCKIN CHUMP<<<
(SO MAD HE MIXED UP THE NES CONTROLS WITH THE AC ONES, AND THE NES ONE IS FOOKIN EASY - COULD HE HAVE BEEN RAILING AT THAT INSTEAD?! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT :o)

Also I like my STGs like I like my ~SUPER SWEET DIABEETUS IN A CAN~ Keep in fridge and bust out when I want to bounce off the walls. I nominate Elemental Master for this because jebus it keeps frantic. Not a hard clear but an unfailingly sprint-paced one! A masterfully consolised give (massive guns, shoot both ways, big fat HP) and take (motherfuckers rushing from all sides, break out the FIRE SWASTIKA FFS)

Where's that guy who was getting all whiny about lifebars? I wasn't joking him. EM is lifebars done right! You get a little wriggle room but it'll slap the shit outta you if you try to coast! I dream of a one-hit + shields + checkpoints label. It'd be doable but pretty ball-crushing tbh.

I'd probably take these two to a desert island with Kamui as middle ground (feelgood console difficulty + rather balls-hard risky scoring). Pretty good triangulation of this genre's eternal appeal. No nonsense, even if nonsense.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Kamui? Nice chance to post this gem. Not OC. Someone else blew my mind with it earlier.

Kamui
Phantasy Star
BIL

Post by BIL »

Laughter is possibly the most STG boss music to not be from an STG. The way that dead-eyed bass riff hammers through the whole thing like a railway spike is utter technomassacre. Not that ZIO and LASHIEC were small potatoes, mind!

"I've waited a thousand years to slit your throats" Image Image Image

Verytex's type 1 boss BGM is a very poor relation but it does have some charm of its own, particularly the insanely good technique from Sakimoto & Iwata - can practically hear the strum on the Lemmy-esque bass.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Having never heard of Cambria Sword until Fraud's post, I'm really fascinated by it right now, I definitely wanna try it in the coming week. It isn't everyday I see a shmup I've never heard of, but I'm completely mystified at the length of this thing and am surprised it's never been a talking point I've ever seen in the past. It looks interesting enough to give it a solid try I say. As this is another new post obviously, I will mention another game that I enjoy:

Blazeon Arcade version

It took me many years after originally playing this game and several tries to sit long enough and figure out one day that a 100% destruction bonus across stages is a thing in this game. I never saw any concrete replays showcasing this 100% destruction bonus on all stages, so I was compelled to see how I could do with the game. It's mainly through this game that I met another player we know as Perikles. After some conversation, I landed a 100% all stages clear on the game, and then three days later Perikles beat my score with a better replay. We never did figure out where the rest of the missing points were for WR score, but after a few weeks it seems we both forgot.

The game is surprisingly fun if you're the kind of person that likes to route with several different handling ships and maybe improvise a few parts. You don't get any bombs and your default ship remains at a peashooter the whole game, but the game's hook is capturing enemies (bio-cyborgs) and using them against your opposition. Depending on which one you are using currently, they can take between 1-3 hits and they each have a couple unique traits that makes them all stand out. Blazeon isn't a bullet hell but thanks to the strategies possible with the various enemies you can take over with your ship, getting a perfect ALL is actually a pretty good challenge because of stuff like the stage 4 rush section. Maybe it isn't the most fluid game, but strategizing things out like "if I lose my bio-cyborg, I have a plan B or C" or "I need to purposely purge my bio-cyborg here and get a specific one up ahead" and improvising when needed and still surviving with no enemies missed was a really fun experience to pick the game apart and beat it with. Give it a spin if you like more thinking/improvising over bullet hell. Perikles' run for a glance for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYHZIYeNeQ
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Emuser wrote:Having never heard of Cambria Sword until Fraud's post, I'm really fascinated by it right now, I definitely wanna try it in the coming week. It isn't everyday I see a shmup I've never heard of, but I'm completely mystified at the length of this thing and am surprised it's never been a talking point I've ever seen in the past.
I did create a thread on it last year, but aside from that and a few other mentions it's mostly flown under the radar. I think I myself heard about it from kane, who mentioned it in one of the top 25 shmups discussion threads. I agree with PerishedFraud that the game is far from "perfect," but it doesn't need to be perfect to be great.

I also recently created a high scores thread even though scoring is hardly the main focus of the game. In case you want it, there I also linked to an edited score file that unlocks all the stuff you normally have to unlock through playing.

The same dev also recently released a freeware fixed axis shooter called The Flying Pancake Octopus in Blackhole, which I find pretty fun: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64926

It's not nearly as long as Cambria Sword, but it's got a bunch of branching paths and is surprisingly content-rich. Be advised that the first playthrough forces you to Practice mode, which is a lot easier and slower-paced than the main game.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm a lazy bugger as always, so I'm still yet to try Cambria Sword beyond a few credits, but honestly - so glad you made that thread, because the intro is something I still watch now and then. It's so molar-crackingly intense, and plaintive, and cute. Reminds me of Darius meets The New Zealand Story. Image Makes me wonder which of those two was darker after all. Merciless, lovable Taito.

(also, someone being inspired by orphan MD gem Crying is wonderful in itself)

Get Fired Up Motherfuckers Image THIS GAME IS NOT PALEONTOLOGY GUIDE
PerishedFraud ឵឵

That's hilarious. It's such a BIL game if you know my drift if you catch what I mean. :lol:

How about Blaynix for a fairly obscure shmup that I really like? Made by the same guy as Kaikan and the more recent Vastynex. The music kicks ass HARD and the bosses after stage 2 are all really cool. I especially like the dogfight boss. This is also a rare shmup where I absolutely adore the scoring system. It's so simple yet so cool. You have a bomb that recharges if you hit enemies enough that's also a autobomb that also has another level that gives you a hyper that can extend itself if you kill enough stuff. Berserker mode almost. Tough description, I know...but it's so good! There's also a real benefit to point-blanking enemies, especially with the laser that does like triple damage or something if you do so. Improvised melee 8)

Go play Blaynix. If anything the TLB will make you smile no matter what.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

This actually reminds me, I do have a better replay hitting at least 100M since that Blaynix video I got a day or two after. I should record that and upload that after Labor Day since it has a more proper TLB fight that ends with the max multiplier iirc.
BIL

Post by BIL »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:Improvised melee 8)
Best kind of melee Image

1) THE EARTH DIED
2) OR WAS I JUST DREAMING
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

I was going to say Gun.Smoke but BIL covered it elegantly. I couldn't agree more.

I ain't even gonna try to impress anyone with an obscure choice.. In fact, I'm going with the exact opposite. I think I'll always enjoy Mushihimesama Futari. Love how the movement feels, the art direction, the scoring systems and last but not least the superb ost. After several hundreds of hours, I'm still not sick of it.. I still enjoy it very much. I'm not sure what to say. Everyone here played the game, right? I'm seeing people calling it overrated, heh, it's their opinion.. I couldn't care less. This game is perfect as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I'm not gifted enough to care about the slight discrepancies with the PCB on the 360 port. Being average has certain benefits :mrgreen: I've spent several hundreds of hours into this game and my enjoyment is the same as when I first started everytime I play it.

Sure, I don't play it as much as I used to since I kind of plateau'd. Ultra and God modes are quite simply out of reach but it doesn't stop me from playing a few credits on God every now and then. So yeah, despite that I've cleared the other modes and got satisfying scores on them.. any time I see someone play the game on Twitch, I get the itch to play it myself. Never fails.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

I'm really digging Espgaluda on PS2 lately. Clean TATE mode looks fantastic over an RGB upscaler and Very Hard is somehow actually playable for a completely talentless garbage-tier player like me. Great OST and awesome design. Added bonus: The laser attack for the default character sounds incredible, just saying.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

WTF happened to the other thread? Lame.

Also, I don't enjoy shmups, so I don't think I can really contribute here. :D
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

I love playing DOJ WL (PS2). That's the version I have access to and the one I've enjoyed the most. Figuring out routes to full-chain a stage has been a lot of fun for me. Over ~2 years of playing faithfully each week, I have a better understanding of the "rules" of the game (enemy fire patterns, how streams will intersect and trap you, how to manipulate screen position to your advantage, etc). So, dying feels less and less like a cheap death and more like my fault. I'm sure the more experienced players on this forum can attest to that.

It's wonderful that there are already so many shmups that can be pulled apart and enjoyed at such a high level of skill. Each one is like a complex puzzle, or like trying to figure out a guitar riff by ear, painstakingly rewinding the song, playing a few notes, and trying again. I find that aspect to be more fun than the simple hand-eye challenge.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

I like R-Type Leo
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I bought an 8BitDo arcade stick to play some shooters with and I jumped back into Crimzon Clover WI. I really...really...really love this game.
Everything is so satisfying about it especially in Unlimited mode. It's just so excessive about everything. So needlessly loud. I love it.
The bosses are all really nice and good. I'm really picky about bosses in games but these ones are top notch. Such unique, wild designs that supplement the telegraphing of their bullet patterns with powerful foreboding music for each fight. All the music's really great really and goes well with the nutty amount of Torgue tier explosions. But somehow, as eye melting as the game is, it makes about as much visual sense as any good shooter. I can't say I lose track of what's going on and I feel like I make steady progress when I practice. And the last level is...really something to behold. My lord.

I can't really complain about it at all outside of maybe technical aspects like it's strange window options. But as far as design goes, it's just a perfect game for me. It's everything I could ask for in a shooter and nothing I don't.
it290

Post by it290 »

Under Defeat for me. This game is just such a gem. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I bought it back when it was released for the Dreamcast and was blown away by the production quality and attention to detail—what a great swan song for the machine, and such a revelation coming from what was then a relatively unknown studio. I subsequently picked up the HD version, and every couple of years I'll bust it out and really sink my teeth in for a week or two.

There's something about the arc of the bullets in this game, the way they slowly curve upward and then accelerate towards the player, along with the rotational manipulation of your ship, that just makes dodging them so satisfying. It's the perfect homage to classic-style shmups with just a hint of manicness. The weapon and scoring system is really fantastic too, simplistic but strategic in a way that emphasizes precision but doesn't immediately tank your run if you screw up.

There are many other games that have pulled me in for an extended period of time, but I don't think I've ever encountered another shooter that has both resonated with me so immediately and remained consistently enjoyable for so long. I really wish there were more like it, because it really scratches an itch that isn't quite satisfied by either classic-style games or the majority of danmaku games out there.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

I just love to play me some Giga Wing. :D
It's fast becoming my fave shmup ever in terms of enjoying one.

Music and shout outs are fantastic, while the reflection system makes it so satisfying to play.
It's really effin underrated. part 2 is ok but not in the same league imho (never tried generations).
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
blossom

Post by blossom »

Soldier Blade is likely the game which influenced my tastes the most, and for that reason I think it's always going to have a place in my top 5 shooters. I love the crunchy sound effects that really make you feel you're a one man army. I love all three of the weapons, feeding back into the idea you are powerful. And perhaps most importantly, I love how the game showers you in pickups, allowing you to bomb through almost everything. I know most of this is the antithesis of why a lot of you play shmups, but damn the power trip is a rush, particularly the red bomb which allows you to keep firing your primary weapon.

There are so many other small details I love about the game, such as multiple skirmishes with the final boss throughout the game, the way stage 3 midboss is fought again immediately right before the boss, practically every song in the game is a JAM, and the game being 40 minutes yet feeling about half that length is straight up witchcraft.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

That game would be Battle Garegga for me. When I saw it years ago, I dismissed it as being drab and boring looking. Fast forward to 2018 on a trip to Chicago at the Ghost Arcade , is when everything changed for me. Then a couple months ago , I bought it on the PS4 and the rest is history. A lot of secrets, hidden depth, scoring, suiciding and so much more. Also, the look is beautiful. Love the steampunk style. Little touches like debris on exploding planes. I can play this game for the next 5 years and still probably discover new stuff.
FRO

Post by FRO »

davidwhangchoi wrote:I like R-Type Leo
*virtual high five*

Any chance I can get to gush about Lightening Force, aka Thunder Force IV, I'll take it. My favorite shooting game of all time. I love the weapon variety, the amazing graphics, the inhumanly good soundtrack, and I feel like it's the peak of the Thunder Force formula and design development. It can be a bit difficult for its own good, but I can't fault it too much. I have so much nostalgia for it.

Also, I haven't quite been smitten by them yet, but Mushihimesama Futari and Ketsui have begun to get their hooks in me.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I think you mean Thunder Force IV, aka Lightening Force. :?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Don't get me started on Thunder Force 4. I cant think of a game on the Genesis that looks better. I bought it off ebay a while ago, but I still haven't truly sunk my teeth into it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

My lord, I have come for you.