Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by maxtherabbit »

BNC is objectively a superior connector, as it is impedance controlled unlike RCA

dealwithit.jpg
Last edited by maxtherabbit on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:The people who prefer component over HDMI are probably going to be enthusiasts, who are more likely to want to connect to an extron crosspoint or PVM or some other device using BNC. At the same time, RCA bullet adapters can turn a BNC connector into an RCA connector easily enough.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe component output will provide a higher quality for GBI + OSSC setups, right? The 4:2:2 output lets GBI do some sort of interpolation trick?
GBIHF does a 2x nearest neighbor scale, repeating every pixel twice - when combined with a DAC that upsamples the chroma data using a zero order hold that results in a full 4:4:4 output

(because each luma sample is repeated, ensuring that for every unique luma sample there is a unique chroma sample pair)
strayan

Post by strayan »

I have a 480p plasma and PAL gcvideo GCN running Swiss and I want to know if there’s a way to force Swiss to stretch 448p games like F-Zero GX to use the full 480p resolution on the TV. At the moment I get a letterboxed (16 lines above and below) and pillar boxed (desired) image with incorrect AR instead of just a pillar boxed one. I have been using my Extron 301 HD to adjust the AR but it’s a pain in the ass to keep doing every time I switch between games. Is that possible to do with Swiss?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Are the Wii and GameCube 60Hz or 59.94Hz consoles?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

strayan wrote:Is that possible to do with Swiss?
It'd have to be a linear interpolation on the framebuffer to have any kind of reasonable compatibility. Are you sure you want that?
The aspect ratio should be correct regardless, unless it's presenting it as square pixels for some reason.
Lawfer wrote:Are the Wii and GameCube 60Hz or 59.94Hz consoles?
480i/p is 27000000/858/525, or 60/1.001.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:
The aspect ratio should be correct regardless, unless it's presenting it as square pixels for some reason.
This guy seems to be experiencing a similiar thing: https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1242

F-Zero looks exactly like it does in his screenshot here (slightly squished, most obvious when displaying circles I find): http://i.imgur.com/vcRJVUu.png

Here's mine (the first photo is Waverace, I just wanted to see what would happen with a 640x480 game (it's still slightly off but I'm getting perfect 1:1 mapping which is obvious from the GCvideo overlay [CRISP!]):

https://imgur.com/a/KEPvNbf

Chain is gcvideo -> extron 301 HD -> DVI input on TV.
Last edited by strayan on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

This is what it should look like on a standards-compliant display:
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:This is what it should look like on a standards-compliant display:
Yeah, I'm getting 10:7.

The Swiss GUI fills the total 480 lines as it should (if that's useful info).

GBA games launched with GBI are displayed at the correct 3:2 AR filling the total 480 lines at 3x zoom.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

More work is needed to get this working, but it would look like this:

strayan wrote:The Swiss GUI fills the total 480 lines as it should (if that's useful info).
The resolution is meaningless, but Swiss' GUI is designed with square pixels (not my decision).
strayan wrote:GBA games launched with GBI are displayed at the correct 3:2 AR filling the total 480 lines at 3x zoom.
You mean with GBI set for a 3:2 DAR (which means 1:1 SAR in 480p)?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Extrems wrote:
It'd have to be a linear interpolation on the framebuffer to have any kind of reasonable compatibility. Are you sure you want that?
So it's not 59.94Hz? Just wondering because the OSSC reports 59.87Hz, the 301 at one area reports 60Hz, while in another area it reports 59.93Hz.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:
Extrems wrote:
So it's not 59.94Hz? Just wondering because the OSSC reports 59.87Hz, the 301 at one area reports 60Hz, while in another area it reports 59.93Hz.
Hint: try dividing 60 by 1.001 and see what you get.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Lawfer wrote:Just wondering because the OSSC reports 59.87Hz, the 301 at one area reports 60Hz, while in another area it reports 59.93Hz.
Those reports are approximations.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:More work is needed to get this working, but it would look like this:

strayan wrote:The Swiss GUI fills the total 480 lines as it should (if that's useful info).
The resolution is meaningless, but Swiss' GUI is designed with square pixels (not my decision).
strayan wrote:GBA games launched with GBI are displayed at the correct 3:2 AR filling the total 480 lines at 3x zoom.
You mean with GBI set for a 3:2 DAR (which means 1:1 SAR in 480p)?
Yes GBI set at 3:2.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I’m using a crescendo RTC 2200 transcoder to convert YPbPr to the RGBHV needed for my NEC XV29+ CRT monitor. Even though the Crescendo is a good transcoder, I’m picky about getting the best signal and having the fewest instances that might degrade or unnecessarily filter the image as possible. I’m wondering if I might get a slightly better picture by installing the internal GCdual mod and taking RGBHV directly from that mod straight to the monitor, thereby eliminating the Crescendo and having a direct connection.

So I have 2 things to consider - is the RGBHV quality from the GCdual at least as good quality as the official component cables with the same characteristics - no crush or anything like that?

Secondly, will I get a noticeable bump in quality from omitting the Crescendo from the signal chain and going direct to the monitor from the GCdual’s RGBHV output?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

andykara2003 wrote:I’m using a crescendo RTC 2200 transcoder to convert YPbPr to the RGBHV needed for my NEC XV29+ CRT monitor. Even though the Crescendo is a good transcoder, I’m picky about getting the best signal and having the fewest instances that might degrade or unnecessarily filter the image as possible. I’m wondering if I might get a slightly better picture by installing the internal GCdual mod and taking RGBHV directly from that mod straight to the monitor, thereby eliminating the Crescendo and having a direct connection.

So I have 2 things to consider - is the RGBHV quality from the GCdual at least as good quality as the official component cables with the same characteristics - no crush or anything like that?

Secondly, will I get a noticeable bump in quality from omitting the Crescendo from the signal chain and going direct to the monitor from the GCdual’s RGBHV output?
GCVideo is converting to RGB as well, so I doubt you'd see any quality improvements. Gamecube has 4:2:2 color compression as well, so that's another reason you're probably not going to gain much.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Do the grayish whites from the GCHD Mk-II/Carby/GCDual affect only the YPbPr output, or does it also affect the RGB output?
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

GeneraLight wrote:Do the grayish whites from the GCHD Mk-II/Carby/GCDual affect only the YPbPr output, or does it also affect the RGB output?
I’m keen to find out more on this too - would anyone be able to chime in on this one? I like my whites clean and pristine, but you can clearly see on the comparison of the 3 Warios in MLIG’s video on GCvideo that the GCvideo component whites are a little off compared to the official cable. I’m assuming this is the case with WiiDual as well. Is this just with component, or are RGB/RGBHV outputs affected as well?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GeneraLight wrote:Do the grayish whites from the GCHD Mk-II/Carby/GCDual affect only the YPbPr output, or does it also affect the RGB output?
I haven't checked schematics for any of these, but it is possible that they were designed to reach a maximum output level of 0.7V/1.0V(*) for an input value of 255. This would be correct for full-range RGB, but BT.601 seems to indicate that for Y this level should already be reached at value 239. This would result in a slightly reduced white level in YPbPr mode. The best way to compensate for it would be to change the reference value of the DAC so it reaches 0,747V for an input value of 255.

A much worse fix would be to internally re-scale the luma value(**) to reach a maximum of 255 instead of 239, but this will result in uneven luma steps because the output is still only 8 bits. You should be able to approximate this using the contrast adjustment in the picture settings menu - please note that it does not affect the OSD in 2.4d, so you can't use the OSD text as reference white.

GCVideo lite likely also suffers from this problem - but that is still only at version 0.9, which should have been a sufficient warning sign. ;)

(*) 1.0V for Y to allow for 0.3V sync below black
(**) The same effect applies to the chroma channels, but it only results in a slight desaturation there.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thank you for posting this here Unseen. So from this, I guess the only way to guarantee full range analogue is to output RGB.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Thank you.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Thank you.
So the update process worked for you?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I got confused by the X+Y prompt, but using the IR remote worked.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:I got confused by the X+Y prompt, but using the IR remote worked.
Ah, the perils of trying to cram everything into a single line... Noted, will be more verbose in the release version.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I still need to set aside an afternoon to upgrade my GCHD Mk-II to test analog output, but using a HDMI DAC, the output appear to be shifted right by 3-4 pixels, from the previous 1 pixel.

Now wasn't exactly a good time as I'm trying to focus on Swiss.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:I still need to set aside an afternoon to upgrade my GCHD Mk-II to test analog output, but using a HDMI DAC, the output appear to be shifted right by 3-4 pixels, from the previous 1 pixel.
Could be, 3.0 also modifies the position and length of the sync signals to make them CEA compliant which might result in a slight image position shift if you use a DAC that just passes everything through. The position should be the same as any other CEA-compliant HDMI source that uses the same mode though, so just adjust your set.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Well, this was with fix resolution/sync off, and a 3 * 2.75 shift was measured in 1080i (Cr first).

I checked again in a standard video mode and fix resolution/sync timing has no effect.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Cb/Cr first is irrelevant. So we're talking a 3 pixels shift.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Cb/Cr first is irrelevant. So we're talking a 3 pixels shift.
That's not much to go on... A few questions: Is the image just shifted or are pixels cut off? Which mode(s)? What is set in the advanced menu? Is this still with an HDMI DAC? If so, does it also happen with a pure-digital signal to the display?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Unseen wrote:Is the image just shifted or are pixels cut off?
Just shifted.
Unseen wrote:Which mode(s)?
All modes, standard or non-standard.
Unseen wrote:What is set in the advanced menu?
I tried all settings, including Enhanced DVI mode.
Unseen wrote:Is this still with an HDMI DAC?
Yes, and it agreed with the native analog output before.
Unseen wrote:If so, does it also happen with a pure-digital signal to the display?
Digital has been fine so far, beside some shortcomings with the automatic shutoff of the resolution fix. Adding my own border should fix those shortcomings, as I'll be needing to anyway.

Unreasonable request: Would it be possible to automatically shutoff Enhanced DVI mode if there isn't enough HBlank?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:
Unseen wrote:Is this still with an HDMI DAC?
Yes, and it agreed with the native analog output before.
Interesting - at least I have an idea now where I need to look.
Digital has been fine so far, beside some shortcomings with the automatic shutoff of the resolution fix.
It's not an exhaustive check, just a few upper limits for xres/yres/htotal/vtotal.
Unreasonable request: Would it be possible to automatically shutoff Enhanced DVI mode if there isn't enough HBlank?
Maybe, need to look at some details first.

(and I hope it fits within the ~200 bytes that are left on the software side...)