PS1 with component cable on OSSC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nullifer

PS1 with component cable on OSSC?

Post by nullifer »

Hello,

so i've seen many people talk about PS1 console not being comptabile with component cable, and others saying it's just the fact that their tv probably doesn't accept a component signal at 240p.
I'm going to be receiving an Scph-1001 in the coming days because my fat PS2 has some issues with a few games.

and I'm wondering if the ps1 console will straight up not work with the component cable? or with the OSSC it will be able to work correctly.
I'd like to avoid getting ANOTHER video cable for RGB if possible
nmalinoski

Re: PS1 with component cable on OSSC?

Post by nmalinoski »

nullifer wrote:Hello,

so i've seen many people talk about PS1 console not being comptabile with component cable, and others saying it's just the fact that their tv probably doesn't accept a component signal at 240p.
I'm going to be receiving an Scph-1001 in the coming days because my fat PS2 has some issues with a few games.

and I'm wondering if the ps1 console will straight up not work with the component cable? or with the OSSC it will be able to work correctly.
That's a conflation of two separate issues. The PS1 hardware simply does not output YPbPr component video; it only outputs composite, S-Video, and RGBS (using composite video as sync); so you need either a display that can handle 15kHz (240p/288p/480i/576i) RGB, or you need an RGB->YPbPr converter. If you plug in a component cable made for the PS2 and PS3, you'll get no image out of it.

240p support is a separate issue. 240p isn't a typical resolution when it comes to displays--it's a bastardization of 480i that causes the display to keep writing the odd fields (Or is it the even fields?) rather than alternate--so support is spotty; however, it does exist. My Samsung LN32B360 LCD from about 10 years ago will do 240p over YPbPr, but it won't do it over composite or HDMI.

I think the simplest option for getting YPbPr out of the PS1 is HD Retrovision's Genesis component cable with the PlayStation adapter. That takes RGBS from the console and outputs YPbPr. It doesn't do any scaling, so you'll get the original 15kHz video modes, which means you'll need something additional to get it to work on TVs that don't support 240p/288p over YPbPr (like an OSSC that can line-double to 480p).
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

nmalinoski wrote:
nullifer wrote:Hello,

That's a conflation of two separate issues. The PS1 hardware simply does not output YPbPr component video; it only outputs composite, S-Video, and RGBS (using composite video as sync); so you need either a display that can handle 15kHz (240p/288p/480i/576i) RGB, or you need an RGB->YPbPr converter. If you plug in a component cable made for the PS2 and PS3, you'll get no image out of it.

240p support is a separate issue. 240p isn't a typical resolution when it comes to displays--it's a bastardization of 480i that causes the display to keep writing the odd fields (Or is it the even fields?) rather than alternate--so support is spotty; however, it does exist. My Samsung LN32B360 LCD from about 10 years ago will do 240p over YPbPr, but it won't do it over composite or HDMI.

I think the simplest option for getting YPbPr out of the PS1 is HD Retrovision's Genesis component cable with the PlayStation adapter. That takes RGBS from the console and outputs YPbPr. It doesn't do any scaling, so you'll get the original 15kHz video modes, which means you'll need something additional to get it to work on TVs that don't support 240p/288p over YPbPr (like an OSSC that can line-double to 480p).

I already own an OSSC.

I'm newish to how the cables themselves work. So it would be impossible to get an RGB signal out of the component cable if I'm using an OSSC?

If i need to get the genesis adapter, I might as well get the Scart cable directly. I'm just trying to see if there is anyway to get around this without buying an aditional cable. Since i will have to spend about 50€ to get the packapunch cable including shipping. (Plus i have a really nice component cable, makes me sad that it would be useless for my ps1 :( )
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Disclaimer: I'm one of the two licensed HD Retrovision distributors. I'm biased. I sell these things for a profit.

The PS1 only outputs RGB, not component. If you connect a PS2/PS3 component cable to a PS1, it will physically fit, but it won't work because you'll get just the three video channels with no sync signal on any of those channels.

You can get component video out of a PS1 by using the PS1 adapter with the HD Retrovision Genesis component cables. This is useful in an all-component setup, but you should be aware that it is internally converting RGB to component (and integrating the separate sync). The HD Retrovision setup costs more, though it's very high quality, and uses coaxial cabling.

HD Retrovision also makes a PS2/PS3 component cable, and it's cheaper than the PS1/GEN solution because it has no active components in it. But it can't be used on a PS1 as previously mentioned.

If you already have a component video setup and you want to integrate a PS1, then the HD Retrovision cables are the best option. If you just have a mixed setup and you want a really high quality cabling solution without worrying about sync types or cable quality, the HD Retrovision cables are a great option. If you want to save a bit of money and are fine with RGB output, then the RetroAccess coax RGB cables are quality products. If you want the cheapest RGB option, you can get non-coax cables (just regular shielding) RGB cables from various places, though quality may vary depending on your setup and cable routing/environment and who makes them.

EDIT: Notably, packapunch cables are not coax, they're just regular shielding.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Guspaz wrote:Disclaimer: I'm one of the two licensed HD Retrovision distributors. I'm biased. I sell these things for a profit.

The PS1 only outputs RGB, not component. If you connect a PS2/PS3 component cable to a PS1, it will physically fit, but it won't work because you'll get just the three video channels with no sync signal on any of those channels.

You can get component video out of a PS1 by using the PS1 adapter with the HD Retrovision Genesis component cables. This is useful in an all-component setup, but you should be aware that it is internally converting RGB to component (and integrating the separate sync). The HD Retrovision setup costs more, though it's very high quality, and uses coaxial cabling.

HD Retrovision also makes a PS2/PS3 component cable, and it's cheaper than the PS1/GEN solution because it has no active components in it. But it can't be used on a PS1 as previously mentioned.

If you already have a component video setup and you want to integrate a PS1, then the HD Retrovision cables are the best option. If you just have a mixed setup and you want a really high quality cabling solution without worrying about sync types or cable quality, the HD Retrovision cables are a great option. If you want to save a bit of money and are fine with RGB output, then the RetroAccess coax RGB cables are quality products. If you want the cheapest RGB option, you can get non-coax cables (just regular shielding) RGB cables from various places, though quality may vary depending on your setup and cable routing/environment and who makes them.

EDIT: Notably, packapunch cables are not coax, they're just regular shielding.
Thanks alot for your explanation, but I've never seen HDretrovision PS1 Scart RGB csync cables in stock + I live in europe (using NTSC console however)
So retrogamingcables would probably be my choice if i need to get a scart cable
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

HD Retrovision doesn't make RGB SCART cables, they make component video cables. YPbPr. Both the cable and required adapter are in stock at both my store in Canada and Castlemania Games in the US right now. We both ship internationally.

Retro Gaming Cables has the shielded cable (packapunch). The lines are individually shielded, but they're not coax or impedence matched. They're maybe the middle grade of cabling. They're OK for short runs, probably.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Try the Playstation RGB cable from Ultimarc. It outputs RGBS (via a DB15 port) and is usually a little cheaper than equivalent cables I have seen elsewhere. Their site was down yesterday but Andy says it is being fixed. You can email him directly at Andy@ultimarc.com

If you need RGBS via scart, these ones aren't too bad if you don't mind paying a little more:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... sync-CSYNC
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Classicgamer wrote:Try the Playstation RGB cable from Ultimarc. It outputs RGBS (via a DB15 port) and is usually a little cheaper than equivalent cables I have seen elsewhere. Their site was down yesterday but Andy says it is being fixed. You can email him directly at Andy@ultimarc.com

If you need RGBS via scart, these ones aren't too bad if you don't mind paying a little more:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/son ... sync-CSYNC
Website Ultimarc website seeems to be back up but i don't see the cable
Gara

Post by Gara »

I'm newish to how the cables themselves work. So it would be impossible to get an RGB signal out of the component cable if I'm using an OSSC?

If i need to get the genesis adapter, I might as well get the Scart cable directly. I'm just trying to see if there is anyway to get around this without buying an aditional cable. Since i will have to spend about 50€ to get the packapunch cable including shipping. (Plus i have a really nice component cable, makes me sad that it would be useless for my ps1 :(
If you were hoping for a trick like being able to use third party component cables on the ps2 to output rgb then unfortunately that isn't possible with the psx.

You could use the component cables on a ps2 to play psx games. The ps2 even properly outputs psx in 240p. It has some drawbacks but it delivers a pretty good experience.

Get yourself the scart cable. Make sure you order the correct version. Ps2 and psx scart cables when properly made are slightly different. Psx cables have 220uf capacitors while the ps2 version has none. Retro gaming cables UK has both versions.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

nullifer wrote:I already own an OSSC.

If i need to get the genesis adapter, I might as well get the Scart cable directly. I'm just trying to see if there is anyway to get around this without buying an aditional cable. Since i will have to spend about 50€ to get the packapunch cable including shipping. (Plus i have a really nice component cable, makes me sad that it would be useless for my ps1 :( )
If you already own an OSSC, you can just get a SCART cable (sync-on-luma preferred, sync-on-composite will work fine; no need to spend extra on a CSync cable) and connect directly to AV1, or, if you have multiple SCART devices, you can get a SCART switcher.

You would only need the HD Retrovision component cable if you needed YPbPr for some reason, like you need to integrate what is considered an RGB-only console into a YPbPr-only setup, or if you wanted to use the console in isolation on a non-RGB display, like a USDM CRT that has YPbPr input but not RGB.

If you'd like a better understanding of the video signals and cables themselves, check out My Life in Gaming's RGB Master Class video series, specifically RGB 103. I think the only thing they really leave out is RF, which is effectively composite video with mono or stereo audio, which makes it look even worse than composite.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Thank you for your responses everyone.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I bought one about a year ago, never used unopened:

It's this one here, 1.8m long, no lightgun output.

It's yours for €35 (shipping with Posta1). If you want I could also bundle it with some random japanese PS1 game or memory cards.

PM me if interested
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Xer Xian wrote:I bought one about a year ago, never used unopened:

It's this one here, 1.8m long, no lightgun output.

It's yours for €35 (shipping with Posta1). If you want I could also bundle it with some random japanese PS1 game or memory cards.

PM me if interested
Hey man I might be interested, Either way I would have to wait till the begining of next month to be able to purchase it from you. I'll let you know.
thanks