My findings on the new 2.04 Framemeister firmware:

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shuco13

Re: My findings on the new 2.04 Framemeister firmware:

Post by Shuco13 »

Anybody else realized they pulled the update again? How are the odds they are working on an improved version?
...aka 12345
brachypelma44

Post by brachypelma44 »

So, I just ordered a Framemeister to hopefully improve the video from the PS2 that I have hooked up to my 65" 4K TV. I will be hooking up the PS2 to the FM via RGB SCART.

I'm not going to pretend that I understand all the technical terms being discussed in this thread. I just have a basic question: for my situation, am I better off staying with the old firmware (V2.03aE) or this new one (V2.04E?) I know a lot of people have this device for 240p gaming, but since the PS2 is almost all 480i, I wasn't sure which firmware is better for that.

Thanks in advance.
brachypelma44

Post by brachypelma44 »

So, just a quick update. The previous post was delayed from appearing by 3 days, because it was my first one. (I'm not sure if that means that it immediately went to the 3rd page or not.)

Anyhow, my Framemeister arrived yesterday. I haven't even unpacked it yet, since the RGB SCART cables are still on the way. Anyone have an opinion which firmware I should load on it if I'm just using it for PS2? Thanks.
copy

Post by copy »

Shuco13 wrote:Anybody else realized they pulled the update again? How are the odds they are working on an improved version?
Seems like it's still up:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini.html
brachypelma44 wrote:Anyone have an opinion which firmware I should load on it if I'm just using it for PS2? Thanks.
I can only say that 2.04 has been working fine for me, in the limited time I've tried. I don't believe 480i would be treated any differently by 2.03 versus 2.04.
brachypelma44

Post by brachypelma44 »

copy wrote:
Shuco13 wrote:
brachypelma44 wrote:Anyone have an opinion which firmware I should load on it if I'm just using it for PS2? Thanks.
I can only say that 2.04 has been working fine for me, in the limited time I've tried. I don't believe 480i would be treated any differently by 2.03 versus 2.04.
Thanks very much.

My RGB cables still haven't arrived, so I haven't been able to hook anything up yet. Looking forward to it, though.
brachypelma44

Post by brachypelma44 »

Update: So, the RGB SCART cable + Framemeister RGB adaptor came today, so I was finally able to hook this thing up.

It looked excellent right out of the box, and with a little tweaking, outstanding. It was an expensive solution, but on a large screen, every little flaw is magnified and easily spotted, so it was worth it to me to make it look as good as possible. I don't really know what they could add in a future firmware that would make it look any better than it already does.
Rubber131186

Post by Rubber131186 »

Koston wrote:Micomsoft introduced some remote control bugs in 2.04 firmware, too. Pressing the volume up/down buttons doesn't work, instead it brings up an unnamed slider that can't be adjusted. Same thing with Gamma button. Instead, the Brightness button does bring up volume controls!
I'm having the same problems as you, lots of buttons on the remote is mapped differently. Volume Up and Down brings up an unnamed slider same with the Gamma button, Sharpness brings up a black level slider. Size button brings up Japanese text.

page 4 of full stats shows :-

FIRM :VER 2.04
PCB :VER 1.3
PROD. :2016/02/19
HOURS : 00000032
BOOT : 00000064
PIC32 REV : 6
ADV74 REV : 4
88DE2 REV : 2
CAT16 REV :9

Gone back to 2.03a that's working for me.
kerframil

Post by kerframil »

FBX wrote:To start off with a TLDR: Don't update to this firmware of 2.04E if you prefer to retain 5x scale scanlines for 240p content. If you already have, I've thrown the previous firmware on my Google Drive
Both releases remain available at Micomsoft's site. The junkerhq wiki article now contains direct links to both, along with checksums (just in case).
FBX wrote:Oh an one last cherry on top: The FM uses RGB limited mode no matter what setting you try. My E1S wouldn't show colors correctly from the Framemeister unless I set it to 601 Limited or 701 Limited. Full gave washed out colors.
Just to be clear, this is a regression as compared to the 2.03a release, right? Also, I was wondering whether adjusting OUTPUT_RANGE has any effect where DeepColor is enabled. I assume that enabling DeepColor has the Mini use 12-bit RGB - as opposed to the xvYCC colour space that HDMI 1.3 is able to support - but I'm not sure whether the concept of a limited range even applies to anything other than 8-bit RGB.