Ninja Warriors Once Again - PS4/Switch/Steam

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Ninja Warriors Once Again - PS4/Switch

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

A few days ago it was announced the North American release was delayed til October but the EU release was not affected.... then I got an Amazon pre-order notification this morning saying it was delayed 2 weeks. Should've just imported it FFS.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:A few days ago it was announced the North American release was delayed til October but the EU release was not affected.... then I got an Amazon pre-order notification this morning saying it was delayed 2 weeks. Should've just imported it FFS.
You and me both. Killer end is I actually live in Korea and could've easily bought it here.

Ah well...I won't make the same mistake with River City Girls.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Marc

Post by Marc »

Good review up over on Eurogamer. I do like that they're not as dismissive of older / arcade gaming as a lot of sites.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just imported it from Asia. Not sure what the hold up is, in the US.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good move Image Decided to revisit the SFC game before moving onto Yaksha, for compare/contrast™ action. Back on TNWOA this weekend, and ho ho hoooly fuck it's been rad. Still not got around to Raiden.
Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:This is actually one of the things I was most curious about. From the moment the game was announced I wondered how the increased screen space would end up impacting the original's elegant and finely-tuned balance, and I hadn't really seen any of the people who have played the game so far comment on that. The opinion so far seems to be that Once Again is a flatly better version, which I can definitely believe, but it's good to hear that it does have its own unique character as a result of the balance changes and doesn't necessarily obsolete the original.
In a perfect world, I'd have loved TNWOA to include an unlockable M2 port of the SFC game. The original remains so accomplished, I've no hesitation recommending newcomers play it after Once Again. (just not as Kamaitachi!) It's not only a wickedly intense brawler, it's also a model example of economical game design. I always come away wishing more SFC brawlers had dispensed with the beltscroll. Four enemies onscreen is all TNWA needs for HELL IN A CELL pressure. Sometimes less!

It's somewhat similar to the situation with Kyuukyoku Tiger AC versus Mega Drive, actually. Pretty sure MD Tiger is one of the universe's great flukes, compared to Natsume's expert design sense, but the effect is reminiscent. :mrgreen:
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I just imported it from Asia. Not sure what the hold up is, in the US.
Their excuse was some "logistics" issue for the US region, while even last week they released it fine in EU/PAL regions, so...yeah.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I just imported it from Asia. Not sure what the hold up is, in the US.
Their excuse was some "logistics" issue for the US region, while even last week they released it fine in EU/PAL regions, so...yeah.
From my experience this is not entirely true - while the EU digital version is already out, Amazon.de pushed back the release date of the physical release to 16th of September...
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Half true, still came out in EU/PAL, albeit digitally. But yeah, weird that there's a delay in EU/PAL regions for its physical release, unless the Strictly Limited physical release has or hasn't released theirs yet.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any reason for the odd name change, in countries other than Japan? I mean, I could see it being "less" confusing, by changing the subtitle (Once Again) to something else. But I'm not a fan of Ninja Warriors being turned into Ninja Saviors. Sounds kind of silly.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ye olde copyright issues, I'd guess. "Saviors" is a bit goofy, indeed, but the game's story has always tempered any notions of feelgood heroism, much as the arcade original did, so I can accept it. :wink:

Wish they'd called it "Return Of THE IMMORTAL MURDER MACHINES" :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I doubt it's copyright issues since Ninjawarriors didn't get a name change when the AC game was brought to PS4 and Switch. Odd thing is that the music is still listed as "Once Again" under audio options in the Asian version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good point, I wonder what it is then. Maybe something since the ACA release? Or maybe paranoia. Hmm.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, the reason for the name change overseas is but a simple one. The original title name itself. Also, considering that there's "American Ninja Warrior" (and probably by relation the English variant for "Sasuke" being "Ninja Warrior" back in its heyday.), so that's more/less the copyright issue.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BIL wrote:Ye olde copyright issues, I'd guess. "Saviors" is a bit goofy, indeed, but the game's story has always tempered any notions of feelgood heroism, much as the arcade original did, so I can accept it. :wink:

Wish they'd called it "Return Of THE IMMORTAL MURDER MACHINES" :lol:
I prefer that title. :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems the SLG version will finally start shipping this Friday.
Dix

Post by Dix »

about some display options for the ns, is possible integer scale (square pixels) on undocked mode (720p) ?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Telling from Amazon, it looks like the game is getting a separate retail physical US release from ININ Games on the same day it releases to the US eShop (October 15th).
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

NeoStrayCat wrote:Yeah, the reason for the name change overseas is but a simple one. The original title name itself. Also, considering that there's "American Ninja Warrior" (and probably by relation the English variant for "Sasuke" being "Ninja Warrior" back in its heyday.), so that's more/less the copyright issue.
Sony CEA did continue to use the name Wipeout for their futuristic racing franchise, even when ABC had the game show Wipeout in 2008. And ACA Ninja Warriors didn't change its name. There's a big difference between "The NinjaWarriors" and "American Ninja Warrior". I don't think it'd be that easy to confuse the two. Oh well, still glad we have the game coming. That said, a title like Ninja Enforcers or Ninja Slayers would be a better one than Saviors.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Incredible soundtrack by the famous zonate
bless the Amazon page for this game
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BrianC wrote:Telling from Amazon, it looks like the game is getting a separate retail physical US release from ININ Games on the same day it releases to the US eShop (October 15th).
Regretting purchasing from Strictly Limited more and more...
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

This has finally shipped...looking forward to this one.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I check my order page on Amazon and it now says the game will ship on the 25th, but when I click on the product page it says SORRY PAGE DOESN'T EXIST. WTF Amazon...Me thinks I should cancel my pre order and go through Play Asia.

Ordered the EU version from Play Asia, it's in stock and will ship in the next 24.

Even splurged for express delivery. Never had a problem with PA before, hoping this isn't the first time.
My lord, I have come for you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah fuck you Amazon. My order shipped!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

WARNING! A HUGE "NOOB LOL" IS APPROACHING FAST!

Brief background: I don't play many beat-em-ups. I am terrible at them. I never played either the original Ninja Warriors or the SNES reinterpretation, though I do remember reading about the latter in a magazine or two way back when. Thanks in part to the praise on here, however, I decided to give this latest edition a try, and my physical copy finally arrived; played my first half-dozen runs, two per character, and here are my sorely embarrassing thoughts so far:

- One thing I like about this one versus other such games I've played is how many minor enemies can be done in with one hit; you've still got to control the crowd and save your bigger smackies for the bigger guys, but being able to clear them out so quickly keeps it from feeling like a chore, and also makes you feel like more of a wrecking machine.

- I'll need to track down and spend a bit of time with a full move list for the characters; a hunk of them are listed in the manual, but I've pulled off others without knowing how. Weird that they didn't bother including the whole enchilada with the game...figuring out all the invincibility frames and other stuff you guys know is a whole other story.

- My furthest run by far was a somewhat lucky Ninja outing where I made it a ways into stage 5; got killed by an enemy hanging out offscreen for so long I thought he was dead, but when I attempted to scroll the screen forward he was waiting. :evil: Overall "Normal" difficulty doesn't seem TOO bad, health refills are fairly generous and having a rechargeable screen-clearing move is a big help, though obviously I've still got plenty of work to do...

- Is it weird that at least in the early going I have more trouble with the first boss than the other ones I've seen? :oops: The second/third/fourth ones didn't give me nearly as much trouble during my Ninja run as he has, especially with Kamaitachi, who can't throw most of the grunts to help whittle him down.

- Since you can only use special moves when your battery meter is all the way filled things can get a bit momentum-fueled; if you can get on a streak and stay there you can sometimes whomp dudes at length without getting touched, but get knocked down at an inopportune time and not having access to your super moves for a bit can bite. It's not game-breaking since you still have a healthy moveset at your disposal normally, but it is a mood-killer when the streak ends.

Will be back begging for assistance once I've been at this long enough to hit a wall proper. :oops:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good to see more of the forum getting their hands on this. The one goddamn time I make an effort not to be late to the current-gen party, I end up like three months too soon! Watch for my riveting takes on Hard Corps Uprising, sometime in 2023! Image
BulletMagnet wrote:here are my sorely embarrassing thoughts so far:
I was expecting an utter Youtube-style "CHEEPZ LOL" horror story after this! You're doing ok! Image
- One thing I like about this one versus other such games I've played is how many minor enemies can be done in with one hit; you've still got to control the crowd and save your bigger smackies for the bigger guys, but being able to clear them out so quickly keeps it from feeling like a chore, and also makes you feel like more of a wrecking machine.
I know right! RUDEBOY crowd control up in here.

BOOF!
Spoiler

I still feel bad citing MD Golden Axe II (which is ok) over TNWA (which is GOAT) in the Game Mechanics Love/Hate thread, re "bowling pin" crowd knockdowns. Actually I'll go correct that now. I have other thoughts to contribute to that thread but this is important!
- I'll need to track down and spend a bit of time with a full move list for the characters; a hunk of them are listed in the manual, but I've pulled off others without knowing how. Weird that they didn't bother including the whole enchilada with the game...figuring out all the invincibility frames and other stuff you guys know is a whole other story.
I'll write up basic movesets for Ninja, Kunoichi, Kamaitachi and Yaksha tonight/Sunday. Still haven't tried Raiden beyond a few tentative credits, dunno WTF I'm doing there (saving him for a rainy day).

Been toying with flat-out writing some Strategy forum-style STs for non-shooters, actually. Got a bunch of freshly-acquired Saigo no Nindou knowledge rattling about.

For now, here's a Yaksha moves+tentacle primer, plus a bit on her combos. She's a killer finesse character with unique, shreddingly violent movement options. Not at all the slow poker her unhurried walk and Dhalsim arms might suggest - this is a pointblank buzzsaw with potentially unstoppable momentum. Also a bit of enthused (but accurate!) warbling on Ninja and Kunoichi.
- My furthest run by far was a somewhat lucky Ninja outing where I made it a ways into stage 5; got killed by an enemy hanging out offscreen for so long I thought he was dead, but when I attempted to scroll the screen forward he was waiting. :evil:
Enemies loitering offscreen are one of my few stern criticisms of TNWOA. They do it a little on SFC, but with TNWOA's larger playfield, the "sniper" types (Rifles and Oni Masks) can really go walkabout if not aggressively collared. Fortunately, with the excellent throw mechanics and high character mobility it's pretty easy to do just that.
- Is it weird that at least in the early going I have more trouble with the first boss than the other ones I've seen? :oops:
Neo-Giganto is very simple in theory, but his hyper armour lets him tank through attacks that'll floor the subsequent three, as well as interrupt your normal combos with impunity. Try to stay in "meaty" range (underneath him, basically), block the instant he starts his three-hit combo (advisable on most enemies, mandatory here - AFAIK there's no chance of you outpunching him), and back off when he's in wakeup (again, a boss truism given additional weight by his axekick's nasty range).

For Ninja specifically, tumbling into meaty range with a full meter, then burning the entire thing on three EX Nunchakus (up+attack) will take an enormous chunk out of him.
- Since you can only use special moves when your battery meter is all the way filled things can get a bit momentum-fueled
Absolutely, both the SFC and remake are hugely momentum-driven. Note that as long as the meter's full, you'll never lose it - it's only getting knocked down while it's charging that'll drop you to zero. On the subject of knockdowns, note that crouching causes the slightest impact to floor you, versus standing allowing you to tank three jabs before falling. Important for Ninja given his lower evasion capability. Note also that some attacks actually do need ducking, namely high knockdowns like the Pumas' (buzzcut+shades) and Snakes' (beret headswap) back roundhouse, while hard sweeps (used by these enemies plus Foxes, the "Secret Service" guys) will floor even standing players.
Will be back begging for assistance once I've been at this long enough to hit a wall proper. :oops:
I was gonna type a bit more about guarding, etc, when I realised this SFC primer I wrote actually covers most of it. Already linked it on page 1, but if you've not seen it, I'd recommend for now.

The old Ninja 1CC referenced there sucks - very fraidy-cat! Instead, watch my more recent two, plus Kunoichi's. Kamaitachi is an unrepentant EZMODE character on SFC so I didn't bother rofl! Despite TNWOA's wealth of new moves and mechanics, the basics of attack, defense and aggressive i-frame usage are very much transferable between original and remake, so don't hesitate to watch for a quick snapshot of aggressive play.
TransatlanticFoe

Stage 1 boss - what triggers his throw? I can usually make light work of him (Ninja's up + attack repeated at close range ruins him) but occasionally he'll just get a couple of cheap unblockable throws in when you think you're about to guard a combo/kick, or think you're close enough to stunlock him at point blank range.

Those bloody invincible front robots do similar now I think about it, sometimes you'll go in for a throw and either they throw you immediately or retreat then instantly counter attack. Not often enough to ruin a run but certainly often enough to induce a little profanity. Having Ninja's dash bounce off them then they walk backwards to avoid a grapple has wrecked me on the stage 7 boss once, though.

Final boss help request too while I'm here - I can usually make it this far but haven't managed to beat him first time. Once he's down to half health, the lasers fire more rapidly... and as a result you get far fewer special throw opportunities, required to damage him, because the eejits just repeatedly walk into the lasers. Is it just a matter of picking a side of the boss and trying to stay between the laser zones? I'll usually get torn to shreds thanks to a special throw animation ending as the central lasers fire, and have occasionally been ruined at this stage of the fight by being bounced from one laser to another. Yet I've hit continue and breeezed through the encounter a few times. I don't know if I'm just rushing it, or not rushing it enough.
BIL

Post by BIL »

AFAIK, player at close front proximity = risk of being thrown by Gigantos and Golems. I don't think there's more to it than that (I have a sneaking suspicion that on SFC, Foxes are hardcoded to rush in and throw a retreating blocking player, but I've not been back to test it on TNWOA).

For the former two enemies, I usually try to front tumble in (fwd+jump while guarding) - this'll get you past their throw's trigger zone and let you launch an attack.
TransatlanticFoe wrote:I don't know if I'm just rushing it, or not rushing it enough.
I'll give recording a replay a shot, as with all the activity in fight it's hard to be too specific - but FWIW, I definitely noticed in my early 1CC attempts that once the full laser array is active, it's best to cane it and go for quantity of throws, not quality. In a way, it becomes what the SFC version (with its tighter playfield) is from the start - chasing down individual enemies and/or going for the surest throws can get you whittled down, better to stay on the move and land whatever hits you can.
TransatlanticFoe

Cheers, that's probably where I'm going wrong - once I've hit continue I'm in full "fuck it" mode and relaxed but prior to that it's probably nerves not wanting to take hits and going too cautious, then fucking up.

Will test out the tumble too, I incidentally found the move but didn't really think about what the point of it was - assuming it gives you some invincibility frames it could be a useful shortcut to close range. I was initially pleased to get a manual with my Switch version but the excitement died when it became clear it only partially documented the movesets.... and for some reason was written in PlayStation so (post-'94 mainly gaming with Nintendo/Dreamcast/xbox) fuck knows what buttons they're referring to I can't be arsed if it's only partial anyway.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yo:D

Not sure if this has been posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/10/19/a ... roduction/
BIL

Post by BIL »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Cheers, that's probably where I'm going wrong - once I've hit continue I'm in full "fuck it" mode and relaxed but prior to that it's probably nerves not wanting to take hits and going too cautious, then fucking up.
Got a warts n' all Stage 8 clear recorded, will be up in an hour or so given my glacial upload speed. Was gonna just clip Banglar, but then I remembered the stage has a bunch of relevant stuff, like turtling Golems and a Giganto fight. Thought to polish it a bit, but tbh, I think demos are as instructive if not moreso when they show a little fumbling. :mrgreen:

Here's Banglar for now (will get the rest up soon, my internet's been godawful this weekend)

EDIT: the rest, finally. WTF is my ISP doing. -_-

---

Stage notes: I'd completely forgotten the doldrums hazard presented by the hangar's red Golems and their infinitely-respawning Knife Armies. Fuckers hung back on me while I slogged through the onrushing horde. :evil: All good though, showcases a bit of Big Boi Tumbling.

Sure enough, a Fox rushes in and throws me while I'm otherwise engaged - pretty sure it's a set AI trigger, you get used to it after a while. Annoying fuckers, wish I could sock the shades right off 'em. Image

Banglar fight went as expected - once he's nearing defeat it becomes bedlam. Generally speaking, it's best to go really hard at him in the earlier phases, so you'll have a nice HP buffer once all hell breaks loose. As shown in the replay, the full-force laser+crowd attack whittles me down a fair bit, but I'm well-insulated and get my pick of shots to finish him off. Tragicomedy ensues as I forget that the precision blue lasers' beam is harmless - it's just the groundspark you've got to avoid. I trip over it, repeatedly! Image

(it's my headcanon that the machine isn't Banglar's purpose built ANTI-ANDROID MECHANISM, but merely some kinda heavy industrial equipment he's scarpered into. "No Mr Ninja, I expect you to die!")

Despite the high spawn rate, the crowd order is static, AFAIK. It definitely is on SFC... hmm, I should've really taken more careful note. Anyway, the early bomb was actually aiming for the red Rifle I chucked to the far right - he and his purple comrade immediately create a dangerous fullscreen pincer hazard. Unfortunately I bombed while he was laid out from the throw, so it missed. :lol: Bugger me, now I realise I've not even checked if the SFC's variable enemy wakeup+grab escape times were translated to the remake. On SFC, Rifles take significantly longer to wakeup than other enemies - important to know, in a game where your foes are both projectiles and sources of i-frame refuge.

Although TNWOA is overall more generous with HP restores than the original, it makes a surprisingly nasty alteration for the final stage - the very last restore is moved from Banglar's hallway to the preceding hangar. Meanwhile, said hallway's enemy numbers are hugely boosted. So you need to be extra-careful in that final skirmish, lest you go into the last boss missing a chunk of lifebar.
Will test out the tumble too, I incidentally found the move but didn't really think about what the point of it was - assuming it gives you some invincibility frames it could be a useful shortcut to close range.
100% invincible during the tumble, and goes straight into guard if you hold [attack] - it's very useful in specific situations, typically advancing on guarding enemies who'll punish you otherwise. But due to its short range and brief duration, it's a bit nervy getting used to it. A precision maneuver, despite its goofy looks! On SFC, Ninja can pretty much rely on Hover Dives (neutral jump, then down+attack) to engage Golems, but with TNWOA nerfing Dives' horizontal reach (while boosting its vertical), the tumble is where it's at.

I never used the back tumble much on SFC or remake, but it's useful when you need to "reset" a crowd encounter - typically, if overlapping enemies are attacking simultaneously, a wall of pain that'll flatten you quick. I get floored by a pair of Shinobus in the replay, but even lowly Knife Armies can create vicious resistance this way.
Stevens wrote:Yo:D

Not sure if this has been posted:

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/10/19/a ... roduction/
Nice. Image Here's hoping for SFC Kiki Kaikai Once Again. Lots of other intriguing possibilities, but I want that Natsume SFC Power Trio. (Yaksha's immensely visceral momentum mechanics instantly made me ponder a new Shatterhand)