Darius Cozmic Collection getting a digital release in Japan.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Johnpv

Darius Cozmic Collection getting a digital release in Japan.

Post by Johnpv »

Darius Cozmic Collection is finally getting a digital release in Japan this September. There's also going to be an update for the physical release.

https://www.taito.co.jp/mob/news/3987

The regular version as a download is priced at 5,200 yen and the CE is 6,500 yen. (about 10,000 yen cheaper than the physical release was for the CE)
reckon luck

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection getting a digital release in Ja

Post by reckon luck »

Only a 10000 yen difference!

I am so glad I waited.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ha ha, yeah, some of us had to dip into our reserves :oops:

At the very least, that means to me that a western digital release is imminent... Plus probably an overpriced and overstuffed Limited Run Games/Strictly Limited release, with an exclusive vinyl cocksleeve shaped like Iron Fossil.

It's hard for me to make sense of what the machine translation said of the updates. Something about tweaking the replay function? At the very least, I am glad they backed away from the Collector Edition exclusive game crap, even if the GB Sagaia is still an Amazon Exclusive (yuck - and they're doing it with the Space Invader collection too!).
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

EmperorIng wrote:Plus probably an overpriced and overstuffed Limited Run Games/Strictly Limited release, with an exclusive vinyl cocksleeve shaped like Iron Fossil.
This might even be the only version that gets released in the West. *shudder*

Actually, if it does make it to the West, there's a 99% chance it'll get digital release anyway, which is preferred to the bullshit limited physical editions that get released for these kinds of games nowadays in the West.
and they're doing it with the Space Invader collection too!).
Jesus, I hadn't even heard about this game at all, but it looks like a joke. Grossly overpriced, only coming to Switch, exclusive content for certain retailers, AND it doesn't even have Space Invaders 95, Extreme 2, or Infinity Gene on it...fuck all that, definite pass for me.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Good info thanks for posting this. I bought the physical version and have absolutely no regrets, but I'm really glad the full LE collection is being made available to a wider audience.

The details of the update are quite vague, but the big thing seems to be unspecified improvements to Gaiden's port quality. The other arcade titles will also get minor fixes.

As a result of the changes the leaderboards will be reset (My Darius old version score! Noooooo!). Also it seems that the pre-update version replays won't be watchable anymore. Also in Gaiden's case pre-update save states will no longer be useable, which I hope speaks to the significance of the changes being made to Gaiden.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Amen, MachineAres. I wouldn't even consider it unless those three were on there (and definitely not for its shitty collector prices). I was just thinking about how that freeware game Pancake Octopus in Black Hole so thoroughly blows the fuck out of 99% of the space invader games... Taito (or rather, Square Enix) shouldn't have the balls to release a collection if it doesn't even include games that aren't 1970s-era dinosaurs!

at the very least for Darius, at least the console-exclusive games aren't tied to a collector's edition. Only took them what, a year? Like AC, I'm enough of a Darius fan to be happy with the collector's edition, but other franchises do not elicit the same type of love or willingness for me... You have to steal my heart to get into my wallet. :mrgreen:
ACSeraph wrote: The details of the uodate are quite vague, but the big thing seems to be unspecified improvements to Gaiden's port quality. The other arcade titles will also get minor fixes.

As a result of the changes the leaderboards will be reset (My Darius old version score! Noooooo!). Also it seems that the pre-update version replays won't be watchable anymore. Also in Gaiden's case pre-update save states will no longer be useable, which I hope speaks to the significance of the changes being made to Gaiden.
I'm trying to remember what was off about Darius Gaiden's porting... I wonder if they will 'fix' the rank bug that was present on the arcade board (allegedly) and fixed in the Saturn port. That'd actually be ideal because the game is hard enough, ha ha.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I think mathu is probably the only one with the expertise to give specific details about what is off about it, but I was just playing it on Sunday and it definitely feels vaguely wrong to me. I swear there is some input lag and the slowdown also feels off.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

In the "Darius Cozmic Collection for Switch" thread there was some findings related to the Gaiden problems, like button inputs being eaten/not working is some busy parts, extra slowdown in some places etc. I'm in full confidence that M2 has a patch which will fix all those issues, the biggest surprise was that such existed in the first place, it's not very common for them.
MachineAres 1CC

EmperorIng wrote:Amen, MachineAres. I wouldn't even consider it unless those three were on there (and definitely not for its shitty collector prices). I was just thinking about how that freeware game Pancake Octopus in Black Hole so thoroughly blows the fuck out of 99% of the space invader games... Taito (or rather, Square Enix) shouldn't have the balls to release a collection if it doesn't even include games that aren't 1970s-era dinosaurs!
I saw the thread for that game, but haven't got to check it out yet. Your post definitely is inspiring me to do so even more now..
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
and they're doing it with the Space Invader collection too!).
Jesus, I hadn't even heard about this game at all, but it looks like a joke. Grossly overpriced, only coming to Switch, exclusive content for certain retailers, AND it doesn't even have Space Invaders 95, Extreme 2, or Infinity Gene on it...fuck all that, definite pass for me.
Not only does the Space Invaders collection have retailer exclusive games, the Amazon.co.jp exclusive game (DLC code for Space Invaders '90 Mega Drive) was only available as a limited time "Prime Day" offer for Prime members only for pre-ordering 8+ months before the game's release. And Amazon Prime is region specific (US Prime doesn't work for Amazon Japan). Agreed on the game list too, so weak. To be fair, they did say that additional titles will be announced at a later time for both the base game and the special edition, so stuff like '95 and Extreme 2 could show up... but the current package is pretty awful at the insane prices they're asking.

That being said, glad to see Darius LE getting a more accessible version. I didn't pre-order the LE, but was in Tokyo like a month after it released and the saw that it was already super rare (only saw one copy in the wild) for stupid prices of ¥30,000+. I suppose I'll get the downloadable LE though, to go with my physical cart of the standard version. Despite still being irritated that G Darius wasn't included.
SnotShot

Post by SnotShot »

Despite still being irritated that G Darius wasn't included.
Yeah, this is the main reason I haven’t picked this collection up, G Darius is the pinnacle of the series for me and having both it and Darius Gaiden in one collection would have been fantastic, it just isn’t quite enticing enough of a buy without it.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Patch is up!

So those unspecified "changes" to the older games?

They added in Body Sonic as controller vibration!!! :shock:

I cannot properly express my love for M2 right now! Oh and Gaiden of course! No more lag, rank seems to be more in line with the versions I have played, no more dropped inputs, and crisper graphics. In other words it's perfect. I love you M2!!!!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

That is sweet. Gotta pop this in after work tonight. I assume the JPN game will patch automatically on a US console?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Can't say for sure; my Switch is Japanese. The patch downloaded automatically for me though.

I really have to vouch for the body Sonic emulation by the way. Having played these games so much on the original cabinets I can confirm the rhythm and timing of the vibrations is spot on to the arcade. It's such a clever way to bring home that one final piece of the true Darius experience.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

EmperorIng wrote:That is sweet. Gotta pop this in after work tonight. I assume the JPN game will patch automatically on a US console?
It should. My console is a bit finicky about updating (nothing to do with game region), so I manually updated by pressing start on the game and using the software update option (some games update automatically, but games update sooner when I do this).
iplaymyshmups

Post by iplaymyshmups »

If Limited Run Games or whom I call "Black Friday Games" ever decides to bring that to the west I am 120% sure not only they are gonna give us that sushi plate Japan got... we will also get a hibachi grill, a wok, a bottle of sake, chopsticks, plus a splatter colored vinyl to make those big city hipsters get a serious hard on.
Keeping your games sealed is like keeping your ass sealed when you have to take a number 2. Not natural.

My Instagram: galvatron86
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Graphics on Gaiden look more solid (before the patch they were a little pixelated), it seems quicker to advance back and forth through a replay with the L/R triggers now, various subtle changes to raster effects (the Darius logo had some tearing going on as it appeared on the splash screen, no more), the particles from boss explosions move quicker etc.

As was mentioned above, the game no longer eats inputs when using the black hole bomb when the screen is busy, which is handy.

Darius II arcade panel gadget has had an animation added, only checked briefly the game briefly so far though. And yeah, the bodysonic effects, which can be toggled of in the 'Other' menu (used to be labelled 'Sound', since there was only a volume control present at the time. There's six or seven entries there now).
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Johnpv wrote:The regular version as a download is priced at 5,200 yen and the CE is 6,500 yen. (about 10,000 yen cheaper than the physical release was for the CE)
I just noticed this last night while browsing the eShop but...

The Consumer Edition (CE) doesn't actually contain the main titles. It only contains the LE exclusive titles. So basically it's for people who bought the standard version and want to upgrade. It's over 7000 yen as well, even more than the standard version. There is no all in one LE available as a digital download, so be careful that you know exactly what it is you are buying.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

So if you want everything as a digital download, you buy have to buy both? for 5200 + 6500= 11700 yen?
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

iplaymyshmups wrote:If Limited Run Games or whom I call "Black Friday Games" ever decides to bring that to the west I am 120% sure not only they are gonna give us that sushi plate Japan got... we will also get a hibachi grill, a wok, a bottle of sake, chopsticks, plus a splatter colored vinyl to make those big city hipsters get a serious hard on.
Don’t forget the folded poster.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
MachineAres 1CC

iplaymyshmups wrote:If Limited Run Games or whom I call "Black Friday Games" ever decides to bring that to the west I am 120% sure not only they are gonna give us that sushi plate Japan got... we will also get a hibachi grill, a wok, a bottle of sake, chopsticks, plus a splatter colored vinyl to make those big city hipsters get a serious hard on.
God damn it, every word of this post is absolute perfection. Can we be friends?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ACSeraph wrote:
Johnpv wrote:The regular version as a download is priced at 5,200 yen and the CE is 6,500 yen. (about 10,000 yen cheaper than the physical release was for the CE)
I just noticed this last night while browsing the eShop but...

The Consumer Edition (CE) doesn't actually contain the main titles. It only contains the LE exclusive titles. So basically it's for people who bought the standard version and want to upgrade. It's over 7000 yen as well, even more than the standard version. There is no all in one LE available as a digital download, so be careful that you know exactly what it is you are buying.
I was under that impression when I saw the JP page. That's a hefty price for a somewhat mediocre selection of games and the Amazon JP exclusive, Sagaia GB, is not included.