OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dochartaigh

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm still relatively new to the OSSC, but no matter what I do I can't get TG16/PCE dialed in. Tried a USA TG16 w/ jailbar fix, JP white/original PCE, both with the same SSDS3 with FU-RGB board professionally installed, tried 2x different Retro-Access cables, 4x different power supplies (stock x2, Triad, another fancy one I can't recall).

The checkerboard grids from other consoles look perfect (don't mind the moire pattern in all these pics, it's the camera):

TG16/PCE looks like this (no matter how I tune Sampling Phase, which multiplier I use, etc.):

Other systems text from the 240p test suite's menu look perfect as well - this is from SNES and Genesis/Megadrive (again, don't mind moire, looks perfect in person):

TG16/PCE looks like this - left sides of numbers are faded out and shadows are messed-up:

Yet somehow the test grid on the PCE/TG16 is nice and sharp everywhere:

In-Game looks nice and crispy too (any possibly ghosting here seems to be the hybrid scanlines I have turned on a little bit):

The only thing I can think of (besides the sub-par RGB output from the SSDS3) is the TG16/PCE's 240p test suite's initial menu's, and checkerboard pattern might be at a different resolution than the 256x240 test grid – and that's why I can NEVER get the checkerboard pattern right. Isn't the entire point of the checkerboard pattern to be able to tune the Sampling Phase correctly? So it boggles the mind that it would be shown at a different res...and even if it is for some weird reason, I've literally tried to tune the OSSC settings for ALL the different res's the PCE is capable of doing, and no matter what I STILL can't get that pattern to look right (nor the test suite's menu text).

Here's the full set of OSSC test pics I took if they help diagnose.

Here's the FULL set of tests for every console I have the 240p test suite for, to show a comparison of how I could tune all those properly, but the TG16/PCE is still the worst one out of all of these.
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

When you enter the checkerboard press left or right with the d-pad to select different resolutions. I think you are viewing the 352x240 checkerboard but you are optimising the OSSC settings for a 256x240 res image.

With my SSDS3 it looks super sharp in both resolutions using FBX's settings.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

hugo19941994 wrote:When you enter the checkerboard press left or right with the d-pad to select different resolutions. I think you are viewing the 352x240 checkerboard but you are optimising the OSSC settings for a 256x240 res image.

With my SSDS3 it looks super sharp in both resolutions using FBX's settings.
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way on the PCE 240p test suite:

Oh wait, sorry, that above image is thorugh the OSSC where you can't even read the text... ;) Here it is on a CRT so you can read it:

It seems to keep it at the same res no matter that. The toggle option is the rapid flashing of the checkerboard which sometimes makes it easier to tune the sample phase (saw that in a FBX video and it was a good tip). Maybe I'm using an older version of the test suite though? (thought it was the newest, and other versions on different consoles might work that way). I also for instance to try brand new sets of settings for 320x240 and 512x240 (maybe another too, forget, it's been a while), to try to compensate if the checkerboard was in one of those different non-256x240 resolutions and I could never get it to appear correctly.
hugo19941994

Post by hugo19941994 »

What version do you have? I'm using 240pSuite_1.05_HuCard.zip and it's explained in the instructions. I've just done it 10 minutes ago.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

hugo19941994 wrote:What version do you have? I'm using 240pSuite_1.05_HuCard.zip and it's explained in the instructions. I've just done it 10 minutes ago.
"240p Test Suite (PD) Artemio v1.04.pce", believe this was part of a Smokemonster pack I loaded onto mine.

Let me load up the newest v1.05 and I'll see if it clears up the grid. Don't think it matters if I use the CDROM or HuCard version, right? Says they're the same I think? (there's a SuperCD version too which loads into RAM it says...).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Dochartaigh wrote:
hugo19941994 wrote:What version do you have? I'm using 240pSuite_1.05_HuCard.zip and it's explained in the instructions. I've just done it 10 minutes ago.
YUP! That did it. Thanks! 256x240 mode checkerboard is PERFECT. Think the default on the older was 352? (kinda couldn't read the text when it's in that mode to tell for sure).

Onto the next (and I think last) console with an issue: Sega Genesis High Definition Graphics V1 (with TMSS) - I have 2x of these I've tried. 3x different power supplies (2x originals, 1x Triad - even tried through an old line conditioner I have), Retro-Access uber upgraded shielded cable. I have three issues with Genesis (on both systems), which I think might be only solvable via a hardware mod but I thought I'd ask just in case.

See the light gray ghosting to the right of the white lines - can see it in faint red next to the red square too:

It shows up better when I jacked the cameras brightness up (ignore anything above the lines - that's the hybrid scanlines):

I can change the sampling phase and it'll get it better on one side of the grid vs. the other but this is as good as I can get it overall. Is this normal? Is this because of how FBX says in his Genesis OSSC-tuning video how in 320 mode, the H. Samplerate is technically supposed to be 427.5, but you can only choose 427 or 428, so he goes with 427, so it'll never be perfect?

BUT, doesn't the newest OSSC firmware lets you choose in-between two numbers (to tune in 427.5) with a secondary menu? I tried every possible combination of that (and adjusting sampling phase between every combination) and still couldn't get it as perfect as the other systems.

2nd problem I think is a hardware problem. This is what people mean by jailbars on Genesis, right? Take a look at the charcoal colored shirt and the alternating (little bit darker, lighter, darker, etc.) vertical lines shown there:

There's some moire in this photo but you can see the vertical stripes in the gray here as well:

I tried lifting the composite leg of a chip on the board (per an Assembler? post I found) which is supposed to help with this but I really didn't notice any difference. Only way to fix this is to do a RGB bypass, right? Don't think it bothers me too much for that as in-game it still looks pretty great:

Last, and this one does really bug me, and I think I posted about it before but don't have a solution yet: I can't get pure black to be pure black - there's always a little bit of dirt or lighter colored streaking in the black area. I can turn the brightness down on the TV itself and get pure black, but then the image is overall too dark. On the OSSC changing the pre-ADC Gain from 8 to 5 does the same thing - the blacks get perfectly black but then the overall image is too dark. Anything I can try?

This pic is the only one I could get it to show up on camera (this is the Everdrive menu), it shows up in-game as well:

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Which line x mode do you use for genesis? The sampling phase tweak setting is only really effective on line x4 or 5
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

maxtherabbit wrote:Which line x mode do you use for genesis? The sampling phase tweak setting is only really effective on line x4 or 5
5x 1600x1200. Tried 4x as well, and those with 1920 too.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

BUT, doesn't the newest OSSC firmware lets you choose in-between two numbers (to tune in 427.5) with a secondary menu? I tried every possible combination of that (and adjusting sampling phase between every combination) and still couldn't get it as perfect as the other systems.
I posted the decimal values for samplerate adjustment here if you wanna check them out. It should definitely make difference.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-27413
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Harrumph wrote:
I posted the decimal values for samplerate adjustment here if you wanna check them out. It should definitely make difference.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-27413
Thank you for the link and info but I don't think it will help unfortunately. I tried 427 as the base, then the 1-5 fine-tuning, and tried to adjust sampling phase for each combo and STILL couldn't get it 100% perfect (like I can get for the other consoles).

Combined with the other issues on this same console I'm thinking I'm missing something, or that's just how it is, or a RGB bypass might help, etc (or who knows, I'm still new to upscaling ;)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Konsolkongen wrote:I get very slight wobble when using Generic 4:3 with my Mega Drive (only console tested), in either 3x or 5x mode. If I change to 320x240 optimized the wobble goes away. Is there any way I can fix this? I prefer Generic 4:3 as it hides a good portion of the jailbars :)

TV is an LG C8.
Just an update on this. Been unable to recreate this wobble since posting. No idea why that happened, but it looks like it fixed itself :)
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Thank you for the link and info but I don't think it will help unfortunately. I tried 427 as the base, then the 1-5 fine-tuning, and tried to adjust sampling phase for each combo and STILL couldn't get it 100% perfect (like I can get for the other consoles).

Combined with the other issues on this same console I'm thinking I'm missing something, or that's just how it is, or a RGB bypass might help, etc (or who knows, I'm still new to upscaling ;)
Ok that's kinda weird. You can also try to set video LPF to max, I saw that FBX recommends having it off, but maybe that's not ideal on your particular console.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Hello, first post on shmups

Man I've been messing with the scanline options for the past 6 months since i got my OSSC and just can't make up my mind on what i like with my ps1 and snes lol.
You guys mind posting your favorite values and some images? maybe it will help me decide what I would like to go with

thanks
marqs

Post by marqs »

Firmware 0.84 released:

* Added 384x240 optimized mode
* Fixed audio infoframe content to comply with HDMI spec
* Improved 400p support
* Added default HDMI VIC compatibility option
* Remote hotkey and display improvements
** Enabled quick loading of profiles 10+
** Print profile quickload status
** Enabled sampling phase adjustment while in menus
* Added "Panasonic hack" for improving line count tolerance with line2x (certain Panasonic TVs only)
* HDMI AVI Infoframe VIC assigned for passthru modes (improved compatibility with Denon AVRs etc.)
* Added compatibility option for AV3 to use AV1 RGB and audio (enables Taito F3 AV1 connection with a small HW mod)
* Initconfig and profile versions made independent of fw version
* H. samplerate fine-tuning made more intuitive
MysticSynergy

Post by MysticSynergy »

marqs wrote:Firmware 0.84 released:

* Improved 400p support
* Added "Panasonic hack" for improving line count tolerance with line2x (certain Panasonic TVs only)
* HDMI AVI Infoframe VIC assigned for passthru modes (improved compatibility with Denon AVRs etc.)
* Added compatibility option for AV3 to use AV1 RGB and audio (enables Taito F3 AV1 connection with a small HW mod)
Wow! While most of this is way over my head, thank you SO much Marqs for your continued support and hard work on the OSSC. I become excited whenever I see a new firmware update :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Congrats! 8)

No luck for 1/2 the vertical scanlines in x5 ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

MysticSynergy wrote:
Wow! While most of this is way over my head, thank you SO much Marqs for your continued support and hard work on the OSSC. I become excited whenever I see a new firmware update :D
Haha, same!

Thanks for the continued refinement of such an incredible piece of hardware, Marqs.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

* Improved 400p support
The added CPS games resolution is greatly appreciated. :D
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

How do you adjust sampling phase? Is it mapped to the remote automatically or do I have to re-do all my remote settings?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Sampling phase was moved to advanced timing tweaker in last firmware.
xterc

Post by xterc »

Where can I find out more about the Taito F3 mod?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Could a simple way to switch between the optimized resolution be added? Like a dedicated button > Generic 4:3 > 320x240 > 254x240 > 384x240 >...
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Nice! What button on the remote lets you do this? I saw on the wiki there's now a "PROFILE_LOAD" button but the diagram doesn't show which one it is (unless I'm blind ;)

And do you hit that PROFILE_LOAD + a number and that's it? Have to hit enter/select after or anything? And it says "Press [PROFILE_LOAD] again to enable selection of profiles 10 and higher", so you hit that button twice + a number (where 1 would be 11, 2=12, 3=13, etc.) - then maybe enter afterwards?
marqs

Post by marqs »

xterc wrote:Where can I find out more about the Taito F3 mod?
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... V1_RGB_mod
Gara

Post by Gara »

It's very cool to see that Denon fix make it in to the official firmware. It fixes 480i pass thru when running your ossc through a Denon receiver like the 3400h. Thank you very much
marqs

Post by marqs »

Gara wrote:It's very cool to see that Denon fix make it in to the official firmware. It fixes 480i pass thru when running your ossc through a Denon receiver like the 3400h. Thank you very much
I'd also hope the information finds its way to Denon engineers so that they could fix their AVR HDMI mode detection logic (if possible with the relevant IC).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gara wrote:It's very cool to see that Denon fix make it in to the official firmware. It fixes 480i pass thru when running your ossc through a Denon receiver like the 3400h. Thank you very much
The test firmware with the VIC changes also fixed 480i passthrough with my Onkyo TX-NR555 AVR.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

576i pass through (e.g from Amiga) also works now too.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
xterc

Post by xterc »

marqs wrote:
xterc wrote:Where can I find out more about the Taito F3 mod?
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... V1_RGB_mod

Thank you!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Agreed