Remote Weapon GunFencer [shmup with Caravan-style scoring]

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
M.Knight

Re: Remote Weapon GunFencer [shmup with Caravan-style scorin

Post by M.Knight »

One of the recurring aspects of Caravan shmups are secret bonuses, and I relaized that was missing from my own game. If some of you guys played Macross 2 for example, you know how exciting it can be.
So now there are some Special Bonuses that can be triggered on specific enemies to score even more. Here's an example that's directly inspired by Star Soldier's simultaneous destruction bonus :

https://streamable.com/19u1v

I always try to ensure those bonuses don't get in the way of the main scoring systems, so none of the Special Bonuses should have you delay enemy destructions, but who knows. I also plan to have Special Bonuses for some bosses.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I added a little sequence at the end of each stage as a recap for the enemies destroyed, items collected, etc.
Here the footage was in Stage Select mode so the stage ends afterwards, but the sequence can also be used in the Arcade mode to provide closure to the stage and prepare a transition to the next.

And for the record, the heroine's clothes can change depending on the settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_YylOf4QUo
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I was hoping maybe you could give the protagonist a voice.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

It would be nice to have I guess, but it's definitely out of my budget, scope, priorities, etc.
I am just a guy in his room making the game alone during his free time, so the only hypothetical option for such a feature I can think of would be the bleeps and bloops you can hear in some JRPGs when characters talk, but that mostly works for slower paced games where the dialogue isn't displayed all at once like it is here.

In any case, thanks for your interest!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Man, I think a voice would definitely suit Emily... Anyway, when is the game coming out?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

All I can say is the usual "when it's done".
While adding some game content to the game (enemies and waves) isn't too tricky for me, there still are a lot of things I haven't completely figured out yet nor implemented, the most important one being music.
I would still like to release a new demo with more polish and QoL than the previous one so there might something looking forward to despite the game not being completed yet.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Hope it doesn't take too long, I'm considering trying this baby.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

After a bit more than a year since the previous release, here is the newest demo : https://mknight.itch.io/remote-weapon-gunfencer
It mostly added some polish and ​features to the pre-existing 3 stages that were playable in the previous build. The exact list of changes is pretty big given the time gap bewteen the two releases so here's a summarized list of new things you can find in this build :

-Visibility improvements to the main game, with darker backgrounds and slower camera movements to help focus on the action and the foreground elements. Point counts when destroying enemies and picking up medals are also toggleable and off by default.
-Addition of a test room feature, which is an endless stage with harmless enemies. It can be used to test the controls and most mechanics in the game.
-Reorganization of the main and option menus, with their own submenus.
-New color schemes for the GunFencer
-Recap screen at the end of each stage
-Special Bonuses triggered by performing specific actions on some enemy types
-Bosses summon helper enemies in a dynamic way (the faster you destroy them, the more spawn)
-Some enemy waves and boss patterns adjustments
-Life cap at 3 (but all midbosses spawn a 1UP)
-New animated opening video
-Improved Sword slash effects
-Some enemies can fire destroyable bullets
-VSync ON and OFF options (when launching the game). The game logic should also be framerate-independant but I haven't tested it on a 144Hz monitor to confirm.
-Analog inputs for shot/sword/bomb
-One new outfit for Emily, the game's heroine
-Additional visuals in the VN-style tutorial segment to illustrate the topics discussed

[Note : The Mac version has not been tested on an actual machine, so there is no guarantee it will work as intended]​
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Here are some of the features and updates I've been working on since the last demo release :

-An accessibility option that allows the player to toggle an automatic use of the shot and sword instead of having to hold the buttons :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGas_NvZ_Gc

-Special boss patterns that only occur when timing them out :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4RE1qvUfC4

-A more granular stage select/practice mode where you can play stage portions or a boss fight. The video also shows the new audiovisual effect for smaller enemies you send back to the enemy that spawned them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAMG-y8BkQ

-Two new title screens with new artwork. Which one appears every time is random :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5PXaHomHw

-Another accessibility option that changes the background's brightness/darkness. It's even possible to completely hide said background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIaxjiRuc0o
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

The stage ending sequence I posted a bit earlier is now more dynamic, with new visuals and animation. Any inspiration from Sin&Punishment and Bari-Arm's stage clear sequences found in my own are not coincidences. :mrgreen:
Some sound effects and a little jingle are still missing, but so far so good.

On top of that, the player is given a rank depending on their stage score. This helps them know if their performance was good or not, and hopefully motivate them to push themselves more if it wasn't enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92_E2er8pg
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

A new demo has been released! You can get it here : https://mknight.itch.io/remote-weapon-gunfencer
This new build adds lots of QoL adjustments, level-design improvements, music, and the useful features I have previously posted about on this thread.

And if some of you guys are interested in the Calice Cup tourneys, the latest one is focused on PC games and will also feature said demo : https://calice.snowcrash.fun/tournaments/
I look forward to seeing what skilled players will come up with to get the top scores.

Ark

Post by Ark »

I like the Fence Character, reminds me of a robot version of silver chariot from JOJO Bizarre Adventures.
Are you using unity? Its nice to see a dynamic background, and the intensity does make the game entertaining.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Glad you like the mecha! I may have been subconsicously inspired by Silver Chariot as that's one hella cool Stand haha :mrgreen:

And yes, the game is indeed being made with Unity3D
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

The game is looking good so far, it kinda reminds me of Rayging Blue II during section S days as Freams. Also, the use of anime styled characters is well received.

However, there's one thing you should consider to fix and that's the character design. No offense, but Emily looks too fat and the proportions are a little bit off. With some practice you could make a better character design.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Pisces

Post by Pisces »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:However, there's one thing you should consider to fix and that's the character design. No offense, but Emily looks too fat and the proportions are a little bit off. With some practice you could make a better character design.
Yeah I totally agree with this. The anime style looks poorly drawn.
TheDogCatcher wrote: The game moves a bit too fast for me to really get a good feel for it, I'm old and my reactions are slow, I'm not sure how far I got into the level but I didn't last very long.
I agree with this. Everything was very big and chaotic, I couldn't tell if I was dodging half the time.
Sai'ke wrote:The only thing that was a little jarring to me was how sudden the changes in direction were in the background. Movement really seemed to be at right angles.
I agree with this and all the stages looked nearly the same. Not memorable at all.
Shepardus wrote:I don't think directional inputs and frequency of directional inputs is a good metric of how engaging a game is, because players don't really think of their actions in games in terms of raw inputs. If they are conceptualizing the game that way I would argue that the game is too input-intensive, forcing players into that mindset, or the higher-level actions those inputs represent (sweeping across the screen, clearing a barricade, cancelling destructible projectiles, misdirecting an attack, cycling a bell's color, etc.) aren't interesting and varied enough.
I completely agree here. I really didn't enjoy this game at all, guess its not for me.

And for some reason I don't have any sound in the intro video.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I also think Emily should have a voice.
Pisces

Post by Pisces »

xxx1993 wrote:I also think Emily should have a voice.
Yeah, I agree. Emily needs a voice to liven her up.

Emily really needs a soda pop in one hand and a hamburger in the other at all times. And give her a pot belly with a food stain on her shirt for that extra character.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Doesn't have to be a big name one. Just at least someone with enough talent.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks for the comments! I've never heard of Rayging Blue II before, I might have to check it out and see what it's about.

As for character-design, the heroine is supposed to be a bit chubby, it's intentional. A bit like Muchi Muchi Pork I imagine. She's kind of a nerdy young adult, so the design tries to reflect that a bit
The soda and stuff sounds pretty repulsive and not very in-character though, I definitely don't want to go that way lol

The comments on the fast camera turning were about an older version of the game; this issue of sudden camera turning has been fixed since and the camera speed has been toned down too. If you're having the same problem, have you actually played the latest version of the game (it should be Demo 10) or was it maybe an older one?

The intro does not have sound yet indeed. I will likely redo/redraw some parts of it so I'd rather wait until the visuals are final before adding sound to it.

Adding voice acting would be nice but it is pretty unrealistic I'm afraid. This is something that needs coordination, contract signing with a VA, budget, a script that's actually final and will be set in stone, and probably some other requirements that I can't really fulfill as a simple one-man hobby dev not working full-time on the game. Best I can do is looking into having little bleeps and bloops à la Ace Attorney for flavor but even that is a bit time-consuming.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still hope you can at least try with the voice acting...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I, for one, really like your character design. It's technically well done and quite unique. I'm currently developing a game starring a chubby mermaid, though, so I might be biased. :wink:
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Haha, nice!
Oh, is that game in development of yours a shmup? Pigarus was pretty fun so I wouldn't be surprised to like it if so! But IIRC you dabbled in multiple genres so it's perhaps something completely different?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

As different as it could possibly get. It's going to be a flip-screen action-adventure type of game this time. Pigarus pushed the hardware quite a bit and towards the end of development it got a little taxing with me meticulously counting CPU cycles to make sure everything ran without slowdown, so I wanted to the new game to be more relaxing both for the players and for me as the developer.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Ah, I see. It'll be a nice change of pace for you haha
Best of luck for this project!
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Added a special enemy that only shows up if you try to play pacifist and leave too many enemies alive : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3ogzh092I
It's also worth no points and presents zero opportunities, it's only a penalty so there's no incentive to trigger it
Since I don't have collision damage and enemy spawns are caravan-style dynamic, the pacifist playstyle had potential to cheese the game a bit which is why I have this countermeasure. Well maybe it's not gonna be perfect but it's still there.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Some stuff I worked on since last time :

A mission mode, with plenty of short stages to play like individual Caravan levels. They also have Trackmania-style ranks to incentivize players to go for high scores. Here's a little video made for a Shmup Slam event showcasing it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDIEBPAqfU (Full version of the music in that video is this : https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/dazzling-crystals )

Movement animations for the player mech, making it swing its legs and body more in general for a more fun feeling of controlling the character. Humanoid avatars have a big range of moves they can use so it would have been a shame not to take advantage of it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJ7VrL9T4M

An enemy database with point values, spawned item info, mentions of special bonuses if they have one. It's a cool extra to have and it's helpful having this kind of info directly in the game rather than by hoping fans make a wiki on some third party website with ugly UI that'll eventually die or be infested by ads or something lol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniCj5CWtNA

A bonus endless/tower defense-ish mode inspired by Radirgy DGJL, where the goal is to prevent as many enemies, items and cancelable bullets from leaving the screen since every object that does so reduces the overall HP of the background, and when it's empty (or you take too many hits), the run ends : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV46yjqw3CE (HP drastically reduced here for showcase purposes)

A new music track (slowly working my way through the soundtrack part of the game as it's where I have still lots of things to make), that I will likely use in test room mode and some missions : https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/app ... tisfaction
Pretty happy with how this one turned out!
M.Knight

Re: Remote Weapon GunFencer [shmup with Caravan-style scoring]

Post by M.Knight »

One more music track finished for the game : https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/purple-pencil
Likely going to be a stage theme or something like that
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Some new tracks that'll be in the game :

https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/the-nerdy-redhead
A menu/tutorial tune that doubles as the theme for Emily, the MC. I'll probably use it for some stages/missions too

https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/che ... ity-lights
Very likely a stage 5 theme. I always wanted to have at least one track with a saxophone and that's now done! It's quite chill compared to say, Bay Side City from Bari-Arm, but hopefully it fits the game
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

https://soundcloud.com/m_knight_jul/end ... d-galaxies
One more banger that will likely work for stages or some missions
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Using that aforementioned track among others in the endless mode, for music rotations :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32xa2eNxPmc
Radirgy DGJL (the main inspiration behind this mode) has HP-based music switches but here I just let them play one after the other, and the BG already tells more clearly where the HP stands.