BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
OmegaFlareX

Re: BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Xyga wrote:Lol, I don't know if you can call what followed a boom, more like a wreck. The golden age of retrogaming was definitely around 2000~2010 anyway.
A boom in popularity, and it sent prices through the roof. I could have made double or triple the amount of money that I did at the time (pretty sure it was a significant loss).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'm sure a lot of us have such regrets. I didn't sell too much before that but Ive never had a huge collection of hard games anyway, because I've taken my time procrastinating on acquiring many titles, then when the prices started becoming dumb by 2010 I've stopped buying old games completely. The rise of flash carts has been a blessing.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

The opposite has been true for me a couple times thus far. I had a collector friend give me so much grief for paying $50 for a complete copy of MUSHA around 2000. To be fair, at the time almost all Genesis stuff was dirt cheap, but I think I came out nicely in the end. :)
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You hit a painful memory. I sold a US MUSHA for ~70€ like a year or two before it began skyrocketing on ebay. :?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Has LRG said anything about when they will be shipping the LE? I thought when I ordered it I saw something about July but that was clearly for the Standard edition only. Still waiting for that vinyl soundtrack.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

CStarFlare wrote:Has LRG said anything about when they will be shipping the LE? I thought when I ordered it I saw something about July but that was clearly for the Standard edition only. Still waiting for that vinyl soundtrack.
Presently their update still suggests "Ships in August". I'm not expecting to see it before September.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

They really suck about communications. The LE originally said it would ship in June, then at the last day of June it became July, last day of July it became August. I've asked their twitter a couple times for any info on it and they just don't reply.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I got lost by the physical releases a few pages back. Is there an affordable way to pick this up with an actual disc, or are we purely in the realms of expensive collectors stuff now?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
zakk

Post by zakk »

If you're ok with non-english menus, the Korean physical release.
Marc wrote:I got lost by the physical releases a few pages back. Is there an affordable way to pick this up with an actual disc, or are we purely in the realms of expensive collectors stuff now?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

zakk wrote:If you're ok with non-english menus, the Korean physical release.
Marc wrote:I got lost by the physical releases a few pages back. Is there an affordable way to pick this up with an actual disc, or are we purely in the realms of expensive collectors stuff now?
+1 to this. Play-Asia has regularly been putting it into their weekly sale list for $25. The patch is not on the disc like the Limited Run version, but if you can live with that it's an affordable way to get a disc copy.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

Jonpachi wrote:
zakk wrote:If you're ok with non-english menus, the Korean physical release.
+1 to this. Play-Asia has regularly been putting it into their weekly sale list for $25. The patch is not on the disc like the Limited Run version, but if you can live with that it's an affordable way to get a disc copy.
They have? Damn. I'd better keep my eyes open. I have the Xbox One edition, but want a physical copy, and the PS4 is the only option, but it's been hard just justify $50-ish for something I already have.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I've been tempted to pick this up on eBay quite a few times as I do fancy giving it a try, it is a lot of money though. I'm currently downsizing my collection of rare games / games in general (mainly from the 8 and 16 bit era, thanks to flash carts, they are just sat there now and I may as well cash my chips in) So I'm hesitant to start buying more over priced games, but as its technically current gen, that might justify it, think I'll wait for the right deal though.
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Johnpv wrote:They really suck about communications. The LE originally said it would ship in June, then at the last day of June it became July, last day of July it became August. I've asked their twitter a couple times for any info on it and they just don't reply.
I got a email today saying mine shipped. Hope they pack it better than my Game Paradise LE which got dinged up in transit. Guess I’ll find out in a couple weeks.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Mine shipped today too, now for the lottery of custom taxes when coming in Europe :/
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Looking forward to unboxing this behemoth of the LRG release :D
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Mine shipped yesterday too, though tracking still just says the package is ready for pick up by UPS. Can't wait for this to come.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

My Collector's Edition box arrived today, US west coast (Seattle area).

Box is huge and sturdy, with a cardboard insert to house the standard blu-ray case PS4 game, the U.S. style Saturn/Sega CD case for the documentary DVD, and a lapel pin. Arcade marquee and poster, operator dip switch setting sheet, and the 2LP vinyl set are behind that. Also included is a CD soundtrack (in cardboard slipcase) and several glossy postcards.

An aside... the use of that Saturn case still strikes me as kinda dumb. As a Japan only release, Saturn Garegga was only ever released in a jewel case, not a longbox - so this is a weird attempt to glom onto nostalgia for a release that isn't a Saturn port anyway. Additionally, while I'm not the most militant environmental activist, this is one case where I just can't help but feel it's wasteful as hell to encourage manufacturing of such excessively bulky plastic that's gonna end up in an ocean some day. I understand I am being somewhat of a hypocrite here, since I *AM* buying physical video games and records that aren't exactly necessities for life... but man, the return of early 90s Sega US cases just feels over the top to me and we should know better. I don't see McDonald's moving back to styrofoam containers, nor do I don't think there is any good reason we should be trying to go back to the most excessively wasteful game packaging of all time.

As for the record... this was the main reason I bought the LRG Collector's Edition, since I love this soundtrack. Although LRG never confirmed which version of the soundtrack was present... it's the Rev.2016 Perfect Edition, from the game release (slightly remastered version of the arcade OST, not the more significantly remixed "Remix 2016" version). Audio mixing sounds pretty good to me, though I'm no audio production pro.

The game is in English. Not surprisingly, it swaps the Japanese O to select/X to cancel convention and I've made several menu mistakes so far ;) More surprising to me is that the trophies are shared with the Japanese PSN release. You can also leave the Japanese PSN version installed and still use the US disc (separate installation) though, so they are unique installations (PS4 won't let you have both a disc and PSN version of the identical game without deleting one installation) - and you do need the US disc to play the US version.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

hamfighterx wrote:An aside... the use of that Saturn case still strikes me as kinda dumb.
They actually did the same thing for the Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix LE; the anime OAV that originally came with the Japanese LE is packaged in an oversized Saturn case, though the game was never released here previously. Off the cuff it hit my nostalgia buttons nicely, but yeah, I can see how it could rub someone the wrong way too.
VxD

Post by VxD »

hamfighterx wrote:Not surprisingly, it swaps the Japanese O to select/X to cancel convention
Oh no, that's dumb. Does the behavior change if you set your system's locale to Japanese? Guess I'll find out soon...
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

hamfighterx wrote:
An aside... the use of that Saturn case still strikes me as kinda dumb. As a Japan only release, Saturn Garegga was only ever released in a jewel case, not a longbox - so this is a weird attempt to glom onto nostalgia for a release that isn't a Saturn port anyway.
I agree completely. First, it isn't a Saturn port, and second, even if it was, it never came in those ridiculous long boxes.

I do still want a physical release, though. :)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BulletMagnet wrote:
hamfighterx wrote:An aside... the use of that Saturn case still strikes me as kinda dumb.
They actually did the same thing for the Game Tengoku Cruisin' Mix LE; the anime OAV that originally came with the Japanese LE is packaged in an oversized Saturn case, though the game was never released here previously. Off the cuff it hit my nostalgia buttons nicely, but yeah, I can see how it could rub someone the wrong way too.
I feel dumb. I have the LRG LE of Cruisin Mix and I didn't even know it came with the over sized Saturn box :shock:

With that said I'd look at the over sized box situation as a what if it released for Saturn scenario

Sort of like how the upcoming Yakuza Collection will come with Yakuza 5 PS3 case
guigui

Post by guigui »

I received the Limited Run Games Collector's edition today, glad.
Kudos to LRG for making a big package come from US to France for just $15, with no custom fees, and in less than 3 weeks.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

It’s a Blu-ray not a dvd right?
parodius

Post by parodius »

Yep
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

hamfighterx wrote:My Collector's Edition box arrived today, US west coast (Seattle area).

Box is huge and sturdy, with a cardboard insert to house the standard blu-ray case PS4 game, the U.S. style Saturn/Sega CD case for the documentary DVD, and a lapel pin. Arcade marquee and poster, operator dip switch setting sheet, and the 2LP vinyl set are behind that. Also included is a CD soundtrack (in cardboard slipcase) and several glossy postcards.

An aside... the use of that Saturn case still strikes me as kinda dumb. As a Japan only release, Saturn Garegga was only ever released in a jewel case, not a longbox - so this is a weird attempt to glom onto nostalgia for a release that isn't a Saturn port anyway. Additionally, while I'm not the most militant environmental activist, this is one case where I just can't help but feel it's wasteful as hell to encourage manufacturing of such excessively bulky plastic that's gonna end up in an ocean some day. I understand I am being somewhat of a hypocrite here, since I *AM* buying physical video games and records that aren't exactly necessities for life... but man, the return of early 90s Sega US cases just feels over the top to me and we should know better. I don't see McDonald's moving back to styrofoam containers, nor do I don't think there is any good reason we should be trying to go back to the most excessively wasteful game packaging of all time.

As for the record... this was the main reason I bought the LRG Collector's Edition, since I love this soundtrack. Although LRG never confirmed which version of the soundtrack was present... it's the Rev.2016 Perfect Edition, from the game release (slightly remastered version of the arcade OST, not the more significantly remixed "Remix 2016" version). Audio mixing sounds pretty good to me, though I'm no audio production pro.

The game is in English. Not surprisingly, it swaps the Japanese O to select/X to cancel convention and I've made several menu mistakes so far ;) More surprising to me is that the trophies are shared with the Japanese PSN release. You can also leave the Japanese PSN version installed and still use the US disc (separate installation) though, so they are unique installations (PS4 won't let you have both a disc and PSN version of the identical game without deleting one installation) - and you do need the US disc to play the US version.
Even as someone that has plenty of Saturn and PS1 long boxes, I always hated them. I've laughed at Josh's quest to make those a reality and I am disappointed that they used one for this release. I also grabbed the regular disk and have digital so I probably will just hang onto this for a while and sell it on. The fact that it's massive enough to hold the vinyl also means it was just a dumb buy on my part. I'd have to check but the box might be larger than my Garegga arcade kit.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Im gonna chime in since you guys hit a nerve. I've amassed roughly around 350 games and around 16-18 systems. That is not a lot compared to others on youtube, but for the more "normal " person it is. Point is, I find myself hardly playing the vast majority of these games. They sit there literally collecting dust. Probably aroung 5 or 6 years ago , I went through some hardcore retro collecting. I kinda regret it, because these days I mainly play the Nintendo and old Sega stuff. Most of my PS2, PS3 and even my PS4 stuff gets ignored. Save for a few games like the Battle Garegga Limited Run Version I picked up today. Which BTW, Im going to be playing the shit out of. Maybe Im getting older, but I feel more minimalistic now a days . I only buy the games I TRULY and REALLY want to play. Maybe about 5 or so games all year. I skip most of the triple A stuff.Just had to throw my 2 cents.
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ sounds like being in your mid 30's, early 40's. Welcome.
VxD

Post by VxD »

The LE finally arrived here in Japan today. Hardcoded English-only in-game texts, swapped X/O buttons, oh well... When playing it does not matter, but I can see it going in the way during training, especially after swapping from Ketsui. Guess I will double-dip and buy the Japanese downloadable version to spare my sanity.
Still, I am glad I bought it for the vinyls, since this is my favorite game soundtrack.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Gamer707b wrote:Im gonna chime in since you guys hit a nerve. I've amassed roughly around 350 games and around 16-18 systems. That is not a lot compared to others on youtube, but for the more "normal " person it is. Point is, I find myself hardly playing the vast majority of these games. They sit there literally collecting dust. Probably aroung 5 or 6 years ago , I went through some hardcore retro collecting. I kinda regret it, because these days I mainly play the Nintendo and old Sega stuff. Most of my PS2, PS3 and even my PS4 stuff gets ignored. Save for a few games like the Battle Garegga Limited Run Version I picked up today. Which BTW, Im going to be playing the shit out of. Maybe Im getting older, but I feel more minimalistic now a days . I only buy the games I TRULY and REALLY want to play. Maybe about 5 or so games all year. I skip most of the triple A stuff.Just had to throw my 2 cents.
Yeah I must admit I'm the same, I've got loads of flash carts (gave up collecting original games for retro stuff a while ago, save for a couple of select systems) and 1000'S of new games to try across a bunch of systems. Yet I find myself just going back to old favourites I've beaten and mastered, over and over. I have found a few new favourites by booting them up and forcing myself to play, but 9 times out of 10 I decide I don't like it in 5 minutes and give up. Really need to preserver and try something new, 'cos I know I'm missing out on a bunch of great games.

Finally found a reasonably priced physical of Garegga on eBay, which didn't need importing so snapped it up, looking forward to that coming, it will get played a lot :D
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Flashman wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:Im gonna chime in since you guys hit a nerve. I've amassed roughly around 350 games and around 16-18 systems. That is not a lot compared to others on youtube, but for the more "normal " person it is. Point is, I find myself hardly playing the vast majority of these games. They sit there literally collecting dust. Probably aroung 5 or 6 years ago , I went through some hardcore retro collecting. I kinda regret it, because these days I mainly play the Nintendo and old Sega stuff. Most of my PS2, PS3 and even my PS4 stuff gets ignored. Save for a few games like the Battle Garegga Limited Run Version I picked up today. Which BTW, Im going to be playing the shit out of. Maybe Im getting older, but I feel more minimalistic now a days . I only buy the games I TRULY and REALLY want to play. Maybe about 5 or so games all year. I skip most of the triple A stuff.Just had to throw my 2 cents.
Yeah I must admit I'm the same, I've got loads of flash carts (gave up collecting original games for retro stuff a while ago, save for a couple of select systems) and 1000'S of new games to try across a bunch of systems. Yet I find myself just going back to old favourites I've beaten and mastered, over and over. I have found a few new favourites by booting them up and forcing myself to play, but 9 times out of 10 I decide I don't like it in 5 minutes and give up. Really need to preserver and try something new, 'cos I know I'm missing out on a bunch of great games.

Finally found a reasonably priced physical of Garegga on eBay, which didn't need importing so snapped it up, looking forward to that coming, it will get played a lot :D
Congrats on the purchace. Ive been wanting Garegga for ages but I was too frugal to pay for the Saturn version. Finally got me the PS4 version. Which one did you get?