The Amazing Spider Man 2 PS3 = abomination

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Classicgamer

The Amazing Spider Man 2 PS3 = abomination

Post by Classicgamer »

I just got The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for the PS3. It literally represents everything that is wrong with modern video games....

It is full of those terrible cut scenes to tell a story you don't care about. You can't turn them off. You can skip once they start but you still have to wait, and wait, and wait..... and wait.... While it loads each one. And then, when you fail one of the boring tasks, you have to wait, and wait, and wait...... and wait.... While it loads that same cut scene again.

The PS3 has a hard drive. Why the f**k did they do this to us? I haven't waited this long for a game to load since the early 80's where my Spectrum games came on cassette.

And, how did they manage to make swinging through Manhattan and fighting as Spider-Man so boring? The controls are terrible. Even when you are fighting, it feels like you are watching another boring cut scene. You literally have zero control of Spider-Man. You just tap the single attack button and watch as spicy pulls off a dozen different moves. You could literally play with your eyes closed.

And like almost every other modern big name franchise game, the missions involve you trying to navigate from one place to another through trial and error. Find this, tick. Now find that, tick. Good, now you've unlocked "a trophy". Like anyone cares. They can shove that trophy up their chocolate star-fish.

And don't get me started on the bit where they expect you to have a conversation with a digital Aunt May using just the PS3 joypad....

This game gets my vote for most disappointing game ever. I love Spider-Man but this abomination just fills my heart with thoughts of murder. I miss the arcade days where you popped in a coin and 10 seconds later you were in the action.

Sorry for the rant. Just had to get that off my chest.
Steamflogger Boss

Re: The Amazing Spider Man 2 PS3 = abomination

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's a movie game, did you have high expectations? Spiderman PS4 is okay.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Liking superheroes is suffering.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:It's a movie game, did you have high expectations? Spiderman PS4 is okay.
Hey, the console versions of Spider-Man 2 are well-regarded for a reason.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I heard mixed/negative things about the majority of the Beenox games, and I have especially low hopes for a game based on a movie that had a mixed reception. Spider-Man games have varied in quality, though I did like Web of Shadows DS quite a bit.

I recently tried out that odd JP Spider-Man Lethal Foes for SFC and I wasn't impressed. It suffers from similar control issues as some of the western developed games.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The Neversoft games for PSOne were cool back then. Don't look great nowadays, unfortunately.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:It's a movie game, did you have high expectations? Spiderman PS4 is okay.
Well when you say it like that, I do feel a little silly....

I was thinking of picking up a used PS4 for Spider-Man a while ago. I'm glad I didn't now. I do own original Spider-man and Superman arcade PCBs so I guess I do like superhero stuff and I guess I was hoping for something better.

In the old days super hero games were usually just beat me ups or one on one fighters in super hero costumes. They then, for some reason, became platform games for home releases. They weren't very original or imaginative but they were at least fun (in the arcades anyway).

Call me crazy but I was hoping that modern hardware would allow games that really captured the feeling of swinging like spidey or flying like Superman. When I saw VR, being able to fly like Ironman was the first thing that came to mind.

Sadly, that truly awesome super hero game still eludes us. I didn't even enjoy the ones that others liked like Batman Arkham asylum. It suffers from similar issues like all of the attacks being on one button with all skill removed. And being forced to wander through endless 3d worlds looking for stuff using a little on-screen map.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

KAI wrote:Liking superheroes is suffering.
Word
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Classicgamer wrote:
Well when you say it like that, I do feel a little silly....

I was thinking of picking up a used PS4 for Spider-Man a while ago. I'm glad I didn't now. I do own original Spider-man and Superman arcade PCBs so I guess I do like superhero stuff and I guess I was hoping for something better.

In the old days super hero games were usually just beat me ups or one on one fighters in super hero costumes. They then, for some reason, became platform games for home releases. They weren't very original or imaginative but they were at least fun (in the arcades anyway).

Call me crazy but I was hoping that modern hardware would allow games that really captured the feeling of swinging like spidey or flying like Superman. When I saw VR, being able to fly like Ironman was the first thing that came to mind.

Sadly, that truly awesome super hero game still eludes us. I didn't even enjoy the ones that others liked like Batman Arkham asylum. It suffers from similar issues like all of the attacks being on one button with all skill removed. And being forced to wander through endless 3d worlds looking for stuff using a little on-screen map.
The ps4 game really isn't bad. It generally fits the bill of what it sounds like you want. If you have a friend with a ps4 maybe sampling it first would be a good idea.

Re the load time comment on the op it really is embarrassing to see some ps3 load times. Uncharted 3 was insane...
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I was thinking of picking up a used PS4 for Spider-Man a while ago. I'm glad I didn't now.
So you're glad you picked up a PS3 and a shitty Spiderman game instead?

Are you the same person that posted that equally bizzaro Transformers Fall/War for Cybertron post?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Strider77 wrote:
I was thinking of picking up a used PS4 for Spider-Man a while ago. I'm glad I didn't now.

Are you the same person that posted that equally bizzaro Transformers Fall/War for Cybertron post?
Glad to not have picked up the PS4 and Spiderman which got rave reviews and is actually fun because they bought a PS3 and a known bad Spiderman game? How on Earth does that even make sense...

Yes, it's the same Transformers guy...

He'd save a lot of heartache if he put a bit of time into googling things before he bought them. Watch some gameplay, read a review. Know ahead of time that TMAS 2 for PS3 has a 57 on Metacritic and the PS4 Spiderman has an 87 and be able to make an educated decision as to which is the better buy.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Strider77 wrote:

Can't you read? I am clearly not happy with ps3 Spider-man purchase. I called it an abomination. It shouldn't take too much mental horsepower to understand that I am clearly not recommending the PS3 Spider-man over the PS4 game or anything else....

Some people take offense at the strangest things...