Shmup Tourney - La Calice Cup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DenT4F

Shmup Tourney - La Calice Cup

Post by DenT4F »

Hey everyone!

This is a team based tournament and there is a draft to create the teams. There is an effort to make the teams as balanced as we possibly can. The event is for players of ALL skill level, from true casuals to some of the very best players in the genre. That's very dear to me.. it's actually the main reason I've decided to organize it (with the great help of my buddy snowcrash, the webwizard).

We're playing 10 games that players will be voting on once the signup process is over.

Here is the website we use to submit our scores https://calice.snowcrash.fun/
You can see the results of the first two tourneys.

All Mame (no forced versions.. PCB are obviously allowed and so are accurate ports)
Signups will be open March 3rd til March 27.
Tourney starts on April 10 and will end on May 10 included.
The tourney relies on the honor system. Screenshot only unless you're submitting a top 3 score (what this means is, if you're going for a score that you believe to be on the top 3, you should be recording your runs). Accepted video format is Youtube (unlisted is fine) or a Twitch highlight. Players can submit with an INP but they'll be required to "convert" it to a video of YT within the first week of submission. Video proof isn't necessarily to prevent cheating. It's to give other players something to watch, learn and discuss to improve their own scores. They could search on Youtube but I find it so much more interesting and personal if videos made for the tourney are available for this. Helps creating bonds and such.. Also, there will be a stream of the best runs the tourney had to offer on my Twitch as a closing celebration.

List of potential games:
https://pastebin.com/4zU7rYyc

Ask for a Discord invite

You can find me on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/dent4f , other than being the channel I use to stream shmups modestly.. it's also where the poll results is announced first and where we watch the Closing Ceremony featuring one of the best runs for every game we played in the tournament.

Thanks!
Last edited by DenT4F on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:42 am, edited 31 times in total.
your_move_creep

Re: Shmup Tourney - La Calice Cup Cup Winter 2019

Post by your_move_creep »

I'd like to participate!

I'm not down with discord servers though, can you link me? I'll try DMing as well.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I'm in!
The list of games look varied enough, I think I should find some fun stuff to try to get decent scores in, and maybe discover some cool ones I didn't know about beforehand.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
DraconicImpulse

Post by DraconicImpulse »

I'm in! Wish I'd joined in last time, it looked really fun.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Having participated in the first edition, I can confirm it was a lot of fun. Managed to burn out on Detana TwinBee though... :P

Not sure yet whether I'll want to participate this time around, but the possibilities of Battlantis, Gokujou Parodius, and Dragon Blaze are tempting...

Edit: Oh geez the list of candidates even has Dr. Toppel Tankentai, you've really thought of everything.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Shepardus wrote:Having participated in the first edition, I can confirm it was a lot of fun. Managed to burn out on Detana TwinBee though... :P

Not sure yet whether I'll want to participate this time around, but the possibilities of Battlantis, Gokujou Parodius, and Dragon Blaze are tempting...

Edit: Oh geez the list of candidates even has Dr. Toppel Tankentai, you've really thought of everything.
Haha, to be honest I've never played Dr. Toppel Tankentai but I was browsing through my games looking for meme games and when I saw the title, it jumped out of my monitor lol. Played it a bit, looks like a nice game.. not exactly memey but the title is, so it works for me :lol:

Also, the poll changed "a bit" since yesterday :wink:

Had to make some tweaks because I need an NMK game to win. So I made sure it would happen.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

DenT4F wrote:Haha, to be honest I've never played Dr. Toppel Tankentai but I was browsing through my games looking for meme games and when I saw the title, it jumped out of my monitor lol. Played it a bit, looks like a nice game.. not exactly memey but the title is, so it works for me :lol:
It stood out to me because I've hardly seen anyone mention the game at all, I only heard of the game thanks to a random YouTube recommendation. Seems like a decent enough game.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

it's the Cup Cup yall. Let's get in there and vote Fire Shark
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Quick update..

We're now 133 in the server, 93 of them joined in August. I'm estimating at least 70% of the people who joined the Discord will sign up for the tourney. It's a safe estimation, I'd be very surprised if the percentage doesn't exceed 70.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I'd be interested in an invite! I'm not absolutely sure I'll have the time to compete, but I'm interested.
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Very glad to hear you'll be back Mark and Myco!
Ako

Post by Ako »

im in there

in a non-homoerotic way tho
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Signups have been open officially for 8hres.

We just hit 50 participants.

Signups end on Sept 14th.
qhoang85

Post by qhoang85 »

Sounds fun. Hit me up with an invite, please.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Edit: Not joining due to IRL time constraints.
Last edited by PerishedFraud ឵឵ on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

81 players have officially signed up 8)

Signups are still open
FRO

Post by FRO »

For games that have relatively accurate arcade ports, such as Darius Gaiden (Saturn and Switch, for example), could we play those versions, or is it strictly arcade PCBs and/or ROMs only? I'm very tempted to jump in this time.
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Hey yoo Guru, that's decided once the games are selected as a group. We have an open discussion throughout the warmup season (October). In other words, everyone has a say on the validity of the ports and I make the final decision based on the intel and knowledge people provided.

For example, in the case of Darius Gaiden.. I'm fairly sure that if it gets in, there will be a restriction on the autofire rate. And the autofire cheat of the port wouldn't be allowed. So it's a case by case and everyone is involved when it comes to game specific rules.

It ain't SUPER strict, the port doesn't have to be absolutely identical as the rom but it does have to be close enough and it depends on the discrepancies. No simple answer to this one.. other than sometimes ports are allowed, sometimes they aren't for "reasons".

EDIT: You can reach me directly on Discord if interested. We're on same servers :wink:

EDIT 2: We're 90 players now.. which means we doubled the amount of players on the second event 8)
MixMasterLar

Post by MixMasterLar »

Saw djTatsujin respond to the tweet about this, looks like lot of fun. I haven't played even half the games listed but I do love some examples of the genre (Mushihimesama, Touhou, the NES Gun.Smoke [which is way better then the arcade in my humble opinion] and TwinBee) so I'm down to see how far I can get in this

Please sign me up!
"Face it Ryo, You're Not Fit To Sweep For Me!"

Lar's Gaming Channel on Youtube
(youtube.com/user/MixMasterLarB)
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Bumping this since there's a little less than 1 week left to signups.

103 participants so far.
MattTheSpratt

Post by MattTheSpratt »

Count me in!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

A list of actually good games? Would like to join!
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Been hesitating long enough. Sign me up.
Here's hoping I can get past the second level in at least some games. :wink:
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

12 spots remaining.

signups are going to close at 120 players
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

DenT4F wrote:12 spots remaining.

signups are going to close at 120 players
Hey DenT4F, sorry to contact you here, but every other place is blocked by my work.

Was the email verification thing sorted? I tried to sign up like a month ago but couldn't verify my email as there was no link attached. I just tried again, but I can't sign up until it verifies my email.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Hey, you need to get on Discord to actually sign up. We can deal with that issue but you gotta get on Discord first
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

Should probably post in the Discord from now on, but I'm concerned about bandwidth atm (I've less than 1/3 GB left for next few days).

Just wanted to assure people (particularly DenT4F) that I'm fully hyped for the tourney, as a way to get more involved in the community. I'll be more active on Discord once things ramp up.
Krushal

Post by Krushal »

First step in maybe going full shmup. :P
Found this lying around the house, although it started making a sizzling noise while I took this pic. Can't be good.

My plan is to run some of the less-demanding games using a Wii with lagless 240p and basic NES-style controls.
Been a few problems so far though (my Wii is temperamental), wish me luck. :D
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

116 participants

4 spots left 8)