Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

Post by xxx1993 »

All right. One other thing, do you have to restart the final stage if you continue in both games?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
Shelcoof wrote: Have you done an actual comparison? I'm reading that it is unique but nothing else though.

I'm actually really really curious on what the actual differences are
First, what does "actual comparison" mean, and also, comparison between what?

I've played the Vita, Xbox, Switch, and PC versions and felt how all of them feel, most of them just a few minutes between each other. The Vita version runs in lower resolution, on non-variable hardware (except maybe Vita TV) and seems to have less processing and filters than other versions since it is much more of a bare bones port without extra modes, increased resolution, etc.
I'm interesting in knowing how faithful and accurate the ports. Differences between the Vita version with the I guess version built on unity.

Comparing input lag
Game Speed
Graphics

Not sure what you mean when you say processing?
And when you say filters for the Vita do you mean it looks better?

I usually associate filters with less clarity as I usually turn any sort of filters off on games.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:All right. One other thing, do you have to restart the final stage if you continue in both games?
Yes.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Man, who thought it was a good idea to restart the final stage after continuing? It's bad enough Aero Fighters, Strikers 1945, and pretty much every game by Psikyo did something like that... I found myself struggling with both Tokugawa and Nobunaga thanks to that.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

xxx1993 wrote:Man, who thought it was a good idea to restart the final stage after continuing? It's bad enough Aero Fighters, Strikers 1945, and pretty much every game by Psikyo did something like that... I found myself struggling with both Tokugawa and Nobunaga thanks to that.
It's to discourage credit feeders from getting an easy pass. Git gud.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
mrcool37

Post by mrcool37 »

Hey everyone, first post here and first time playing this game.

I think timeless mode may be broken (PS4). I have made it to stage 19 on two occasions and the game just endlessly loads for the next level. Other than the revamped soundtrack which is fantastic, everything else about the new mode feels broken and stops getting any harder after stage 11, no new enemy patterns or extra/faster bullets or even increased boss health.

Revenge bullets are introduced in stage 8 and once you get to stage 12, it's basically the same 3 stages on repeat. Extra enemies means you can basically finish the whole stage with constant vasara attacks and can be basically invulnerable for the entire stage and during every boss fight (except 1 boss).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

No patch for remapping buttons yet?
FRO

Post by FRO »

Strictly Limited is finally shipping out the LE's for this release.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So what's the recap of these games:

-Timeless mode: almost useless addition (like, really pretty much all cases in history where a 9:16 vertical has been squeezed on 16:9 panels)

-Vasara 1: broken for scoring because at least one boss can be infinitely milked: hiscore points don't reset once you continue;

-Vasara 2: no known issues?

also, is it me or (at least on Vita) sometimes I put the initials on the hiscore table but they don't show up? Is this a bug?
X - P - B
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

FRO wrote:Strictly Limited is finally shipping out the LE's for this release.
Hoping it arrives here by Friday 8)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Got my PS4 LE from Strictly Limited yesterday (intended to just get the regular edition but they were out by the time I got to the website, figured I might as well splurge a bit), here are a few quick impressions:

- I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff but at a glance the overall quality of the items seems solid; one thing that struck me was that the outer sleeve seems to be a really tight fit on the box, it always takes me a bit of effort to get it off.

- The artbook contains only the "new" art, not any original materials (I think; a handful of sketches might be from Visco); weirdly, the Vasara 1 section has brief profiles of the characters and stage bosses but no art for the midbosses, while Vasara 2 nixes the profiles altogether but includes the midbosses. Odd. Also a brief but rather pointless "screenshots" section.

- The actual game manual is full-color, though it doesn't provide much actual instruction beyond the basics. It does include a couple of 4-koma comics, which seem to involve Magoichi from the second game being repeatedly attacked by his fellow cast members. I wonder if they've been previously translated anywhere, though I'm sure they're silly and nonsensical as all heck.

- I haven't listened to it yet, but the soundtrack contains 8 minute-or-so-long tracks from "Timeless" mode (including a "Game Over Remix"), plus two "Classic Mix" tracks at 13 or 14 minutes apiece, one for Vasara 1 and the other for the sequel. Weird why they wouldn't give those songs individual tracks; maybe there's some technical reason for that?

- Aside from the poster and sticker sheet, two postcards are also included; one is a "standard" add-on, while the other is an "apology" item, featuring the SLG logo shedding a little pixelly tear, which got a chuckle out of me. The promised bonus art print, another "apology" item, is also here, and on some sort of clear plastic; honestly I find it most reminiscent of a drink coaster, but as a last-minute add-on one can't complain too much.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BulletMagnet wrote:- Aside from the poster and sticker sheet, two postcards are also included; one is a "standard" add-on, while the other is an "apology" item, featuring the SLG logo shedding a little pixelly tear, which got a chuckle out of me. The promised bonus art print, another "apology" item, is also here, and on some sort of clear plastic; honestly I find it most reminiscent of a drink coaster, but as a last-minute add-on one can't complain too much.
Yeah, they sent a similar item for the Ultracore LE preorders, when those finally shipped.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Vasara Collection is $0.99 cents on Switch.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/v ... on-switch/
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
velo

Post by velo »

Tokyo-J wrote:Vasara Collection is $0.99 cents on Switch.

It went on sale for 50% off twice within the past month. Not getting a lot of bites, I guess.
Wittischism

Post by Wittischism »

Tokyo-J wrote:Vasara Collection is $0.99 cents on Switch.

Wow thanks for the heads up. Snagged it. I mean for a dollar, and less using my shop coins lol
system11

Post by system11 »

Not sure what it is but I seem to struggle getting charged and releasing it in Vasara 2 before the bullets hit me. Like my timing is completely off vs playing the arcade version. Still a great game though, always liked it.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
sgshumpsmania

Post by sgshumpsmania »

Hi, I got my PS4 and NSW versions recently, yes I love the game that much. :)

Funny when I loaded the game, I did not get any alert for update/patch. Can anyone let me know if both the versions have been patched with the latest patches? How do I get the games patched?

Thanks!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

sgshumpsmania wrote:Hi, I got my PS4 and NSW versions recently, yes I love the game that much. :)

Funny when I loaded the game, I did not get any alert for update/patch. Can anyone let me know if both the versions have been patched with the latest patches? How do I get the games patched?

Thanks!
On the Switch main menu, highlight a game square and press the "+" button. This will bring up the software info screen. The version will be displayed near the top of the screen. The Vasara Collection is currently on version 1.0.2. If you're version doesn't match, select: Software Update > Via The Internet
If an update is available it'll download otherwise you'll receive a message saying you are running the most recent version.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Kiken wrote:The Vasara Collection is currently on version 1.0.2.
The physical PS4 copy I got from SLG a few weeks ago updated to version 1.04, not sure if there's a difference between the versions in this regard.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Without having to read through the entire thread, is there a consensus on which is the best version of this release? I read that the Steam version is the one to avoid?
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

system11 wrote:Not sure what it is but I seem to struggle getting charged and releasing it in Vasara 2 before the bullets hit me. Like my timing is completely off vs playing the arcade version. Still a great game though, always liked it.
What platform are you playing on? Input lag seems to vary between them, and that sounds like exactly what you're experiencing, but generally the Switch is the worst, and I also heard the PC version has some issues
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

bcass wrote:Without having to read through the entire thread, is there a consensus on which is the best version of this release? I read that the Steam version is the one to avoid?
I can't say anything about the other versions, but the 5-6 hours I spent with the Steam ports were fine. It's a bare-bones package (ignoring the additional widescreen game), but it seemed solid enough to me - no performance hiccups or noticeable lag*. It could be that there are some other gameplay differences/accuracy issues that were fixed in the console versions and not on PC, but I doubt it...

*using a Brook UFB, at least.