Trying to hook up old RF consoles, need advice

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
2mg

Trying to hook up old RF consoles, need advice

Post by 2mg »

Although I grew up with old consoles, hooking them up these days seems problematic. After some digging I've decided to go down two routes:

1. Console > retrotink2x > digital video domain (LCD) <- for "future proofing" (with minimal lag)
2. Console > at least composite signal > analog video domain (PVM) <- for "original experience"

In both cases, I've the issue of plugging old tech with only RF out (Atari, SMS2...).
PVMs don't have tuners, scalers/doublers don't have tuners.
I really don't want to mod them (just prefer them vanilla).

Are these my only options:
Old VCRs - used tech, might break randomly. Same for DVD-Rs.
DVRs - I'm skeptical about, dunno if they do any digital conversions in them (lag).
CRT TVs - bulky, used, and I can get some PVMs instead
Pro RF demodulators - seem expensive on ebay, and I can't find cheap clones on Aliexpress.
External analog tuners/set top boxes - can't find analog only, it's all DVB/ATSC/digital in some way (would appreciate finding one tho).

Note: I'm dealing with PAL stuff here if it matters.
PS: how'd you connect any of the old consoles to a CRT monitor, since they're not 15khz/RGBHV?
2mg

Re: Trying to hook up old RF consoles, need advice

Post by 2mg »

Bump? :oops:
soulrazor

Post by soulrazor »

Since you are in a PAL territory and you don't want to mod you should buy any good consumer grade CRT like a Sony Trinitron with Scart inputs it will have the tuner you need and the image quality should be great using RGB video sources (not as good as a PVM or BVM but still great).

Most of the HDMI capable TV's from a few years ago should also be able to tune in to the RF consoles if you select the tune mode to analog (if it has that option). But with this option you will see a lot of noise on the video.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I was recently able to get a Contemporary Research 232-STA for $20 shipped. It's a rackmount demodulator with composite and stereo audio outputs, has composite and stereo audio inputs (for looping it in to other composite video equipment), and it will demodulate stereo audio (where available, but I don't think any RF consoles encode stereo).

I was able to test it using the RF output from my NES, then running the output of the demodulator into my Kramer FC-4044, which output YPbPr to my OSSC.

The downsides are that it still looks like garbage (It's RF, after all), and that this model only supports NTSC.

There are related models, the 232-STS and 232-STSi, which are mostly the same thing, except 1) the first only supports NTSC and the second only supports PAL and SECAM, 2) these also decode to S-Video, and 3) audio output is via a 5-position Phoenix connector. (There's currently one of the PAL versions on eBay, in Texas, but it looks like it would cost $18 plus ~$28 USD to ship to the UK.)

Crestron also makes demodulators, but I have yet to look into them, and, as was already said, they're not that cheap.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I don't have them anymore to check, but I believe the BVM's actually have a built in RF corrector of sorts, there's even a name for it but I don't remember. It makes RF and composite look decent, not that I ever really used them anyway, since almost all my consoles can output rgb.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'm still happy with the VCR option because even though the tape loading part fails, these things generally will still be working despite that. I have a Sony SVO deck and the RF signal through it is as good as the console's compsite, so it obviously demodulates really well.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:I'm still happy with the VCR option because even though the tape loading part fails, these things generally will still be working despite that. I have a Sony SVO deck and the RF signal through it is as good as the console's compsite, so it obviously demodulates really well.
I was going to make this exact point. When the tape deck breaks everything else will still work. I actually use a DVD recorder/VCR combo as a comb filter for LD when I watch away from my CRT (not often).
2mg

Post by 2mg »

nmalinoski wrote:I was recently able to get a Contemporary Research 232-STA for $20 shipped. It's a rackmount demodulator with composite and stereo audio outputs, has composite and stereo audio inputs (for looping it in to other composite video equipment), and it will demodulate stereo audio (where available, but I don't think any RF consoles encode stereo).

I was able to test it using the RF output from my NES, then running the output of the demodulator into my Kramer FC-4044, which output YPbPr to my OSSC.

The downsides are that it still looks like garbage (It's RF, after all), and that this model only supports NTSC.

There are related models, the 232-STS and 232-STSi, which are mostly the same thing, except 1) the first only supports NTSC and the second only supports PAL and SECAM, 2) these also decode to S-Video, and 3) audio output is via a 5-position Phoenix connector. (There's currently one of the PAL versions on eBay, in Texas, but it looks like it would cost $18 plus ~$28 USD to ship to the UK.)

Crestron also makes demodulators, but I have yet to look into them, and, as was already said, they're not that cheap.
I've found these from Ambery - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192480942287?ul_noapp=true

Worth it?
Steamflogger Boss wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:I'm still happy with the VCR option because even though the tape loading part fails, these things generally will still be working despite that. I have a Sony SVO deck and the RF signal through it is as good as the console's compsite, so it obviously demodulates really well.
I was going to make this exact point. When the tape deck breaks everything else will still work. I actually use a DVD recorder/VCR combo as a comb filter for LD when I watch away from my CRT (not often).
Yeah, though how soon till the whole machine breaks is my issue.
Taiyaki wrote:I don't have them anymore to check, but I believe the BVM's actually have a built in RF corrector of sorts, there's even a name for it but I don't remember. It makes RF and composite look decent, not that I ever really used them anyway, since almost all my consoles can output rgb.
I've access to these three: https://bit.ly/2GG6G2G https://bit.ly/31bzdop https://bit.ly/2KcaHxO - now all of them are PAL/NTSC with autosensing, but non actually HAVE the RF input, so I'm kinda stumped.
Steamflogger Boss

It's really doing next to nothing to run like that. I've never had a VCR that wouldn't just turn on. If the power or something eventually went bad it's very fixable though honestly very likely cheaper to acquire another for parts VCR that powers on.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

2mg wrote:I've found these from Ambery - https://www.ebay.com/itm/192480942287?ul_noapp=true

Worth it?
Not to me. I'd take a throwaway VCR over spending that much on a demodulator. I think the $20 I paid for my NTSC-only, rackmount unit is the max I'm willing to go, and I really only got it to see if it was a viable option.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

HD Retrovision's plans for their HDMIzer product are (or were, last they spoke of it) to support RF (and composite, and s-video, and component) as inputs, and to support HDMI and VGA and component as output. That said, I have no inside information about the current plans or timelines for the product. They're focused primarily on the Dreamcast right now.

The idea was that not everybody is going to mod their old RF/composite/s-video/etc consoles for RGB, so there should be an affordable way to get those things on a modern TV with the best possible quality. They also had some neat ideas regarding cleaning up the image quality from 2chip SNES (they also make component cables for the SNES).
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Guspaz wrote:HD Retrovision's plans for their HDMIzer product are (or were, last they spoke of it) to support RF (and composite, and s-video, and component) as inputs, and to support HDMI and VGA and component as output. That said, I have no inside information about the current plans or timelines for the product. They're focused primarily on the Dreamcast right now.

The idea was that not everybody is going to mod their old RF/composite/s-video/etc consoles for RGB, so there should be an affordable way to get those things on a modern TV with the best possible quality. They also had some neat ideas regarding cleaning up the image quality from 2chip SNES (they also make component cables for the SNES).
Yes, I'm torn between OSSC and RetroTink2x as it is for "general hooking stuff up", and that's not even accounting for RF... And VGP announced that Koryuu thingy and stated that RF gets no love.

I'm thinking about DVD-Rs with RF in, cuz they're newer tech, but since they are on the crossroads of digital and analog domains, I don't know if they introduce lag if/when digitizing/transcoding, I don't know if better quality outputs can be used for non-DVD playback at all (I know, quality will still be RF since it's the source), I don't know if they will force upscaling, etc...
Steamflogger Boss

I have a jvc dvdr that will play vhs tapes through any output all the way to hdmi. The same point as earlier applies that you can get a busted unit and it will work for this purpose. Lots of for parts units out there and given the cost of fully working units it's a pretty good option. Oh and yeah they upscale internally.

That processor mentioned sounds like it could be nice, something to keep an eye on.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Oh and yeah they upscale internally.
To 480i, right (if were talking about older models)?

I'm guessing they also do it digitally, so how fast are they in that regard? Some google searches say unplayable, some don't notice it?
Steamflogger Boss

Not sure. Outside of normal use I've only ever used it as an external comb filter/scaler for LD on my plasma. I was thinking I don't have anything to even do RF but I should have a PC engine and a Nintendo branded RF cable I could test with but I don't have anything to super accurately measure the lag with. I'd just have to see if I could win a game of baseball, an F1 race etc...
donluca

Post by donluca »

If you know how to solder just cut the cable and solder the composite video RCA and mono audio RCA and you're on board.

That's what I did back then with my Dreamcast RF-modulator.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

donluca wrote:If you know how to solder just cut the cable and solder the composite video RCA and mono audio RCA and you're on board.

That's what I did back then with my Dreamcast RF-modulator.
SMS2 already modulates RF inside the console, can't do that here. And I really don't wanna mod Composite out of the console too.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Not sure. Outside of normal use I've only ever used it as an external comb filter/scaler for LD on my plasma. I was thinking I don't have anything to even do RF but I should have a PC engine and a Nintendo branded RF cable I could test with but I don't have anything to super accurately measure the lag with. I'd just have to see if I could win a game of baseball, an F1 race etc...
Did you maybe test it?
How does the RF pan out?
Did you maybe test something like Composite or S-Video in, and output thru Component or RGBS or Scart?

I'm curious about DVDR (or any DVD/combo devices) - they are relatively newer, and they usually offer a plethora of different and better outputs (easier to connect this stuff to that stuff, disregarding picture quality).

There are old ones that have component/RGB Scart as best output. Then you have VGA and/or HDMI ones. Then you have HDMI 1080p ones...

I've nothing against analog signals getting digitized, but I fear unnecessary processing, decombing, BUFFERS, digital RF tuners, 240p mishandling, and so on, the modern analog>digital problems.

VCRs are simple, analog (RF, Comp, S-vid) in - analog out, some even clean up the image as a bonus.

And I've not the time or money to buy random DVDRs to test them.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

2mg wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Not sure. Outside of normal use I've only ever used it as an external comb filter/scaler for LD on my plasma. I was thinking I don't have anything to even do RF but I should have a PC engine and a Nintendo branded RF cable I could test with but I don't have anything to super accurately measure the lag with. I'd just have to see if I could win a game of baseball, an F1 race etc...
Did you maybe test it?
How does the RF pan out?
Did you maybe test something like Composite or S-Video in, and output thru Component or RGBS or Scart?

I'm curious about DVDR (or any DVD/combo devices) - they are relatively newer, and they usually offer a plethora of different and better outputs (easier to connect this stuff to that stuff, disregarding picture quality).

There are old ones that have component/RGB Scart as best output. Then you have VGA and/or HDMI ones. Then you have HDMI 1080p ones...

I've nothing against analog signals getting digitized, but I fear unnecessary processing, decombing, BUFFERS, digital RF tuners, 240p mishandling, and so on, the modern analog>digital problems.

VCRs are simple, analog (RF, Comp, S-vid) in - analog out, some even clean up the image as a bonus.

Virtually all of those VHS/DVD recorder combos only used component output for the DVD section and topped out at S-Video for the tuner and tape section. The video guys liked the DVD recorders for their built-in time base corrector (TBC) to fix tape timing errors and the comb filter for LaserDisc. Neither of these are all that useful for video game consoles.

While most tuners probably don't bother specifying analog support any longer, most of the chipsets used in these things where from the analog transition days and should have analog support (admittedly I haven't looked into the latest in European OTA broadcasting in a few years...). Just about any RF demodulator box should work as well as virtually all chipsets used in these things support both PAL and NTSC.

Honestly, I'd box up and store your RF-only consoles and replace them with different versions with SCART support or mod it in, but that's just me.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

energizerfellow‌ wrote: Virtually all of those VHS/DVD recorder combos only used component output for the DVD section and topped out at S-Video for the tuner and tape section. The video guys liked the DVD recorders for their built-in time base corrector (TBC) to fix tape timing errors and the comb filter for LaserDisc. Neither of these are all that useful for video game consoles.

While most tuners probably don't bother specifying analog support any longer, most of the chipsets used in these things where from the analog transition days and should have analog support (admittedly I haven't looked into the latest in European OTA broadcasting in a few years...). Just about any RF demodulator box should work as well as virtually all chipsets used in these things support both PAL and NTSC.

Honestly, I'd box up and store your RF-only consoles and replace them with different versions with SCART support or mod it in, but that's just me.
Eh, I can't mod just one, I'd have to mod them all, and cash money is too tight for such a project.

I'll definitely use a VCR for RF consoles, but I'm still considering a DVDR with RF as a backup, or as a cheap transcoder for OSSC if I ever buy one.
Steamflogger Boss

2mg wrote: Did you maybe test it?
How does the RF pan out?

There is some added lag, how much I can't tell you but between that and the plasma it was pretty difficult for me. Especially since I normally play on a CRT straight up these days. I'd recommend a regular vcr for sure.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

2mg wrote: Eh, I can't mod just one, I'd have to mod them all, and cash money is too tight for such a project.
You can mod them yourself for not a lot of money, with the SMS II you can mod it for composite with some RCA jacks and some wire. Honestly considering how much trouble you're going through to get these systems to work with your setup, modding them shouldn't be ruled out IMO. You can even mod them in a a way that doesn't affect their appearance and without drilling or cutting.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

ApolloBoy wrote:
2mg wrote: Eh, I can't mod just one, I'd have to mod them all, and cash money is too tight for such a project.
You can mod them yourself for not a lot of money, with the SMS II you can mod it for composite with some RCA jacks and some wire. Honestly considering how much trouble you're going through to get these systems to work with your setup, modding them shouldn't be ruled out IMO. You can even mod them in a a way that doesn't affect their appearance and without drilling or cutting.
Without soldering? I mean I thought of a simple "tape some wires and let connectors just hang somewhere" so it's more of an addon than a mod... Any recommendations?
FRO

Post by FRO »

I'm curious about this as well. My old VCR doesn't appear to properly take the incoming RF/coax input and output it via Composite, so using that with a RetroTINK is out. If there are other good solutions, I'm open to something. I was hoping to stream Zaxxon via my ColecoVision next month, but I don't think that's going to happen, unless I can come up with something before then.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

FRO wrote:My old VCR doesn't appear to properly take the incoming RF/coax input and output it via Composite, so using that with a RetroTINK is out. If there are other good solutions, I'm open to something.
They make boxes for this specific use case called RF demodulators. Standalone TV tuner boxes are just a RF demodulator that also happens to have a TV tuner in it. There's still new ones out there and used HDTV tuner boxes are practically free on Ebay and Craigslist.
FRO

Post by FRO »

This is the first one on eBay I see that's under $80:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Coax-Cable- ... SwB9FcAk4W

Might be worth grabbing.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

nmalinoski wrote:There are related models, the 232-STS and 232-STSi, which are mostly the same thing, except 1) the first only supports NTSC and the second only supports PAL and SECAM, 2) these also decode to S-Video, and 3) audio output is via a 5-position Phoenix connector. (There's currently one of the PAL versions on eBay, in Texas, but it looks like it would cost $18 plus ~$28 USD to ship to the UK.)
Manual says "CATV and off-air frequencies" - does off-air imply antenna VHF/UHF frequencies?
FRO wrote:This is the first one on eBay I see that's under $80:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Coax-Cable- ... SwB9FcAk4W

Might be worth grabbing.
Be wary of these, I bought the https://ebay.to/2PckkkI and it doesn't do RF properly/at all (store said it's "digital", so either that or cable frequencies only), and even Composite seems to lose sync or has shitty colors...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

FRO wrote:I'm curious about this as well. My old VCR doesn't appear to properly take the incoming RF/coax input and output it via Composite, so using that with a RetroTINK is out. If there are other good solutions, I'm open to something. I was hoping to stream Zaxxon via my ColecoVision next month, but I don't think that's going to happen, unless I can come up with something before then.
Ah that sucks. I have personally never seen a "broken tape mech" vcr that didn't perform it's RF demodulating job. Did you makr sure you had all the options set correctly on the VCR? When I used mine for this purpose last year I had to tinker a bit to get it working because it had been so long since I used a VCR, that I had forgotten you need to activate a few options (it's not straight passthrough, you gotta activate an option or two)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For anybody that doesn't need PAL compatibility and doesn't want to house a huge VCR, the Sony TU-1041 units are still way to go. $20-40 on ebay.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

FinalBaton wrote:Ah that sucks. I have personally never seen a "broken tape mech" vcr that didn't perform it's RF demodulating job. Did you makr sure you had all the options set correctly on the VCR? When I used mine for this purpose last year I had to tinker a bit to get it working because it had been so long since I used a VCR, that I had forgotten you need to activate a few options (it's not straight passthrough, you gotta activate an option or two)
I recently got a VCR that obviously had problems with mechanism, and I believe it locked it's "thinking", couldn't get OSD on screen even though front panel LED indicators worked - every now and then it would start doing something with it's mechanism and then stop. Lost a tape (couldn't get it out) to it because I thought putting one in would actually make it behave normally.

Also, some video recommended that you actually play a tape for a bit on old VCRs to actually "jump-start" them into working again, it probably resets their software ("chipset") state.