The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tomrev

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by tomrev »

Hi, everyone. I'm a gamer and programmer. Last three posts isn't allow yet. I hope this reply can be post in shump. :P
Honky Tonk Player

Post by Honky Tonk Player »

Hello Fellow Gamers

I love SHMUPS... maybe not quite as much as some of you folks, but definitely more than the average gamer. After a few months/years of watching some members channels on Twitch and YouTube, I've decided to bite the glowing pink/blue bullet and join your club.

A very brief gaming bio: I've always believed that shooters (along with platformers, strategy, RPGs, fighters, and simulations including sports) are one of the fundamental pillars of gaming. Whenever I acquired a new system I liked to have one of each type before getting a 2nd. On Commodore it was Gradius, on Nintendo-Lifeforce, on SNES-Gradius 3, Genesis-Insector X (not my best pick :lol: ). Growing up my favorite "consoles" were the arcade (loved Street Fighter 2 and pinball far more than SHMUPS back then) and PC (DOS and Windows 95/98 for flight sims and strategy/war games). I took a long break from gaming and got back into it a few years ago, but I never completely quit.

What/How I Play: Now that I can enjoy all the arcade games I never had enough quarters to clear as a youth, SHMUPS have become my favorite type of game to play. I almost exclusively play using a Qanba Obsidian stick (of course modded :D ). I've been a fairly skilled gamer since my late teens, and as an adult I love the challenge of most SHMUPS.b I do not generally care for memorizers (with some exceptions) preferring games that are more about reflexes than preparation. Unlike many I love when there's a strong RNG element because I get a gambler's excitement knowing that any credit could be "the one" where all the random elements align and I clear/high score the game. My current favorites are the "Bat" trilogy (Garegga, Batrider, and Bakraid). While none of my scores are yet worth reporting, a 1 cc will happen if I keep playing regularly... I make no promises as to when. :)

Why I Joined: I've lurked your strategy board for a couple years now, and I can't wait to ask some questions of your membership. Not to be a kiss-ass, but I'm quite impressed with some of your accomplishments and would love to get some input on improving my play. I would eventually like to make some contributions of my own when I feel able to do so.

On Twitch I use the handle 1stworlddf.
NeonLightIllusion

Post by NeonLightIllusion »

Hi!

Another younger, but devoted shmup/shoot 'em up fan here. Just as much into learning and researching about the history of the genre as I am into playing the games. Hope to learn a lot more from all of you here on the forum!
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Hello! I'm Flobeamer1922. Some of you may know me as that Donkey Kong guy, but I've recently been introduced to the world of shmups through my friend Pearl. Now, while I'm not the biggest shmup person in the world, there are quite a number of games in the genre I enjoy; I like my early 80s shmups like Galaxian and Galaga and Donkey Kong 3, I really dig Toaplan games, and I do dabble in danmakus every now and again. I'm terrible at most of these games, but (at the time of writing this) I do have one clear to my name in the form of a Zero Wing 1-ALL, and I do have other shmup goals I hope to accomplish at some point.
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

Hi forum folks,

Been a shmup fan since early 90s but only started that delicious g r i n d about 2 years ago. Currently working on a hi-score run of DOJWL (PS2 copy). My gaming habits are trending toward spending more time with fewer shmups instead of playing tourist all the time.
kicksomeass.net

Post by kicksomeass.net »

Since i've been registered since 2014, reading and learning and really appreciating all the informations you guys let me know, i thinking
it's time now for me to saying a huge THANKS and introducing myself.

"Hi, i'm S. from South Central Bavaria and really enjoying STGs and arcade games in general. Owning a few cabs and PCBs, and also a small PCE setup.
Otherwise i'm a simple man, i like pretty things... :wink:"
lkermel

Post by lkermel »

Kollision wrote:
lkermel wrote:I'm also the webmaster of Video Game Den
Welcome!

Video Game Den is great, I'm always checking it out from time to time!
:)
Thank you! I'm so happy that you like the website :)
I can't believe that I've been working on Video Game Den for 15+ years! There are still soooo many games I would like to review and add to the site, but between my work and side projects, free time has been really scarce... blarf... but I do add information and goodies from time to time - for instance I just got a nice selection of Famicom flyers and other Shitajikis, I will scan them soon and add them to the website :)
cheem201

Post by cheem201 »

Hi,

I’m just starting to get into crt technology and playing retro games through rgb. Seems like a lot of people here are interested in the same thing!!

Good to be here
bartleby

Post by bartleby »

Getting heavily back into shoot 'em ups, and really appreciate the small and dedicated community that exists for help with strategy. Located in the Mountain States of the US. Currently playing Ketsui, Battle Garegga, and Rolling Gunner, but haven't decided what to dedicate myself to.
N.Master

Post by N.Master »

Hi,
I am a casual arcade gamer, I own a "small" 29" CRT arcade cabinet (euro style) , and i love arcade hardware and it's history.
Also I am an electronic hobbyist, and i made some custom PCBs for superplayers.
my favourite games are mostly shmups, so this forum looks like the good place ;)
jaberwocky33

Post by jaberwocky33 »

Hi all,
Been lurking here for a long time to find out what shmups people are playing.
Planning on release my own game Zunius - psychedelic rogue-like bullet hell on steam soon
Currently playing Black Paradox
wxrmhxle

Post by wxrmhxle »

Hey, I'm really casual with games in general, mostly playing gacha, 4x or casual calm games for the most part, shumps aside.

Aside from games I'm into movies, series and comics of both western and eastern entertainment with my favorite genres being scifi and horror.
issa oof
crt

Post by crt »

Hi,

I signed up in 2014, I was convinced that he had introduced me but it seems not ... (how rude)

My bad English has always pushed me back at the time of posting, and it is not very practical to always be with the translator ... it is an issue that I have pending :|

I have always been fascinated by shmups although I am not very good with them nor do I have enough time to play. I have been collecting boards and console games for years, and I have learned a lot with contributions from Fudoh and other forum members. I hope to return this knowledge someday and help other members of the forum with less experience.

Regards from Barcelona, Spain
Keyvisuals

Post by Keyvisuals »

Hi All, I’m completely addicted to Shmups. Bullet hell CAVE shooters are my absolute favorite! I’ve not really been playing long enough to have developed any real skill at the games but I still love to play them.

I was just lucky enough to pickup an authentic DoDonPachi DaiOuJou pcb which I’m playing on my arcade Supergun. I eventually plan to add a candy cab to my collection and of course more CAVE pcbs.
eguevaralopez

Post by eguevaralopez »

Hi all!

I grew up playing Mega Drive (Genesis, as its known here) and somehow managed to miss all of its shmups, I just never played any when I was a kid. Now that I'm revisiting the system some 20 years later I find that its renowned for its shooters! I decided to try some and started looking for carts, the first one I found was Fire Shark and well, here I am: I suck at shooters, but I really like them! Hopefully I'll get better.

Regards from Costa Rica
your_move_creep

Post by your_move_creep »

Hi!

I love shmups. And arcade machines. I built one once, good times. Large CRT's are very heavy and leave terrible gouges in apartment floors when dropped...

Anyway, been lurking here stealing strats for years, but decided recently to get more involved. I like the shmup community. It's a lot nicer than the FGC, so far anyway.
iplaymyshmups

Post by iplaymyshmups »

Hello pilots. I never keep shmups sealed to later resell for future drug money. I actually play the hell out of them. Hopefully this ain't Neo Geo dot com. I want real down to earth peeps that I can actually discuss my fav shooters with. I'd be happy to be part of this community as long as there's no elitists.
Keeping your games sealed is like keeping your ass sealed when you have to take a number 2. Not natural.

My Instagram: galvatron86
blossom

Post by blossom »

I never did post in this thread. Might as well.

The first reason I got into this genre is the ridiculously OP weaponry of Soldier Blade and Thunder Force IV. Impressive weapons remain important to me and if a game doesn't feel like you're a powerful badass, there's probably no hope that I will learn how to clear or score.

Speaking of score, I'm not a fan of the strict philosophy seen in most Cave games where a player is punished for using bombs. I feel like I should be able to use all mechanics in a game or else they shouldn't be there. Also I like speed killing and bullet cancelling. Filling up a screen with a thousand bullets for the best possible cancel is one of those things that, so far, hasn't lost its thrill for me at all.

More than anything, I prefer the idea of seeking out smaller games and making an attempt to learn more about them, as opposed to established games like Battle Garegga or Ketsui where the metaphorical Rosetta Stone is already laid out for you and all you need to do is execute it with perfection.
rs1n

Post by rs1n »

Hello, everyone. I started playing shmups in the mid-80s, then eventually life took over. Now I try to squeeze in a game here or there and am particularly focusing on Japanes shmups on the PS2.
UltraNarwhal

Post by UltraNarwhal »

Hello, I'm from the UK and trying to be an indie developer. So far I've made games for the ZX Spectrum and PC and looking to also make games for Commodore Amiga, Amstrad CPC, NES and Xbox One.

Shmups that I enjoy the most are Parodius and Salamander.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Hey all :D

To make it short: long time lurker and recently decided to play shmups more determinedly and invest myself a bit more into the community.

As a child I came to play various shmups like Solar Striker and Burai Fighter on the good ol' Game Boy, and, above all, R-Types on the PS1 - which impressed me so much at the time that I even had dreams about the huge battleship in stage 3. :lol:

This all must have left an impression on me - I love shmups for many reasons... you can just pickup & play a good shmup and it'll manage to entrall you in minutes if not less. Yet you can sink egregious amounts of time into one game until you reach your goal if you're so inclined - it's this 'pure' and exhilarating gameplay experience they can offer. I also love many ones for their soundtracks. That would be the gist of it I guess.

For the longest time I was at home with the more classic, non-danmaku shmups (actually still am), but recently became interested in Cave shmups and the like as well.

Also an avid Smash player btw, although I play a bit less these days.

So, looking forward to contribute / talk shop :D
Aergan

Post by Aergan »

Hello, long time lurker here :)

Working more with arcade hardware as of late, so wanted to make more of a contribution.
kapo

Re: KAPOLAB AAO sequel

Post by kapo »

Hello, my name is Kapo and I have made a sequel to my Shmup game 'AAO'.

AAO Closer
http://kapolab.com/aaoc/
It is playable by a browser on PC, Tablet and other.

Please come and visit if you are interested, thank you...
KodoCoto

Post by KodoCoto »

At this point I have been a fan of shmups for 3 years now. I do not think any shmups fan are not aware of this forum, I only decide to join this forum now because I feel like it.
I got into it through Touhou(yes, I'm a Touhou fan). I 1cced a few games, though only 3 of them are my actual target 1cc. I tried out every games in my rom list in my MAME 2 months ago, there is that.
I have not done a single scoring run, although I am very interested in doing so. But beforehand there are plenty of shmups out there I want to 1cc.
I want to write shmups review, but I have only wrote 1 because I have not 1cced a single shmups since then.
https://hushedcountry.wordpress.com/201 ... ro-ranger/
Figuring out how to approach one is always my biggest challenge as a shmups fan. I want to learn how each shmups work, how each games in the series differ from each other. But unlike a traditional game, where you can go through the story campaign and you probably know how the game works. Shmups always require a 1 credit clear or scoring which are a huge entry barrier. I think there are other ways out there to play and learn about shmups other than 1cc and scoring, I just am not aware of it. Or I am a lazy person and should go practice DOJ right now.
ninjamaster

Post by ninjamaster »

Hello , I'm new here . My name is Guglielmo from Turin (Italy) and I am a big Dreamcast fan!

I have been a lifelong fan of Sega, particularly the Sonic,Golden Axe,Phantasy Star,Streets of Rage series.

My fav games for Dreamcast are: Crazy Taxi,Bio Hazard:Code Veronica,Soul Calibur,Sonic Adventure,Virtua Striker

I already seen a lot of impressive collection full of "hot items" anyway I decided to present myself to the community and show off my collection too.
Theognosis

Post by Theognosis »

Space Invaders was one of the first videogames I played but didn't consider shmups as my favorite genre until I bought a Switch 2 years ago. The last shmup that I really enjoyed was Soukyugurentai for the Sega Saturn, a game that has aged very well. Videogames to me are all about flash, skill and gameplay--never about stories, narratives and long loading times... and certainly no walking from point A to point B just to trick me into playing the game for hours. As such, I prefer the classic skill-based games from Sega like Daytona USA, Virtual On, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi, Outrun 2001, etc. And since the arcades are dead now, I get my shmup fix on Switch when I'm on the go and on MAME when I'm in front of my laptop. All in glorious 2D. When I want to take a break, I get the most frantic shoot 'em up and blast everything! It's good therapy I tell you (as long as I have credits available)!

Of my 30+ shmups on my Switch, my favorites are Rolling Gunner, Neko Navy, Osyaberi! Horijyo! Gekihori!, Lightening Force, Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Atomik: RunGunJumpGun (yes, it's a shmup). Ikaruga is just an OK game, kinda over-rated IMHO.

On MAME, of course there's CAVE.
MaarioS

Post by MaarioS »

Hey there, I'm new here and I'm mostly interested in NES/Famicom gaming and hardware in general. I'm located in Poland at this moment by the way. Waiting for approval, thanks in advance!
monkeygold

Post by monkeygold »

Hello!
I'm just some guy that has way more junk than he should..

I collect a bit of everything from games to arcade cabinets to vintage computers.

I've lurked here a lot getting information etc for things, so I figured I'd make an account.
hechelion

Post by hechelion »

Hi.
I like shmups since when I discovered "Aero Fighter."
I am not the best player, but I enjoy playing and in recent years I have programmed my own shmup
pressureworld

Post by pressureworld »

Just a quick hello to all. I'm a old school shmup player who grew up in the 80's. I'm glad to be hear and look forward to much discussion.