Switch shmup games list

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Switch shmup games list

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

and Space Harrier and Puyo Puyo are both landing in North America and Europe on August 22
And only $8 for Space Harrier!
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

clippa wrote:
CRP wrote:Q-YO Blaster out 27/6

Looks fun anyone played it here ?
30fps.
It looks nice, but it's pretty crappy, to be honest. Very boring, you'll play through it once. Wait for a sale.
So, it's on sale now for $6.67 in the US Switch eshop (33% off)... I'm kinda tempted due to the nice looking graphics and some surprisingly consistent positive reviews on Steam. Seems like something very much in the vein of Harmful Park or Parodius, which I can get behind. But if it's as bad as clippa says, maybe not worth the time.

Anyone else played it and have quick impressions?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Sega Ages Switch port of the classic 1985 arcade shooter of Space Harrier is out on the USA region Switch eShop today, 8-22-19. It's a mere 86.1mb d/l with an additional 24.6mb of system memory required for game saves. I like the nice subtle vibration feedback during gameplay which gives the player some haptic feedback (especially when one is shot or hits a background sprite) + the optional 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio along with the classic 4:3 aspect ratio screen that was the basis for the original SH arcade game setup.

My first encounter with SH was at Marriott's Great America amusement park in Santa Clara, CA, where a sitdown SH cab with a bolted on yellow colored plastic seat (this particular SH cab configuration was a rarity in the USA as I haven't seen one like it since then) beckoned me to try it out for the first time back in the summer of 1986 (each quarter would give me five lives and if you inserted another credit before starting a gaming session of SH, for each ten lives would net you a big SH character icon instead as indicated on the lower left-hand portion of the screen -- I had three big SH character icons + some more smaller guys indicating how many lives I had in reserve during a serious session of SH). This particular feature of indicating how many life icons one has in reserve before the start of a SH session is absent from the Switch port of SH but it's a small quibble/minor omission nonetheless that's present in the original SH arcade cab setup indeed. So yes, SH is regarded as a quarter/pence/yen muncher with the overall aspect of credit-feeding it to the very end to see/play all the different stages that it had to offer -- which meant more $$$ for arcade owners/operators that had it on the arcade premises/game room floor back in the day.

The obligatory scanline option is included for that slick old-school reto arcade screen overall presentation indeed courtesy of M2 dev team.

Very nice Sega Ages port of SH worthy of your time during the golden age of the 1980s arcades era/lore.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Switch Space Harrier is the jam. I'm glad I figured out that the trigger was rapid fire, otherwise I would have pounded my joy-con into shards by the time I got to the end of my commute.

The 'barrier' mode is just an easy mode, as you plow through any destructible obstacle. I've yet to unlock 'freestyle' mode.

Looks, sounds, controls like the real thing. If you're a fan, you will be happy. If you're not a fan, what is your problem?

Unrelated, what's the word on the Grand Brix game posted above? It seems... busy...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

If I could only have one port of Space Harrier, I'd still go for the 3DS Sega Ages version, because it's one of the few games that truly takes advantage of the 3D feature in a way that actually enhances my enjoyment of the game (same goes for M2's work on the other Super Scaler titles released in the 3DS Ages series), and it has such awesome options to emulate the various sit-down cabinets and physical rotation.

However, since there is nothing limiting me to just one port, you better believe I grabbed the Switch version today! It's rad. Scanlines look great (naturally, M2 always nails this) and so does the widescreen mode, and there are some nice additions like the original mode having a convenient level select for levels you've already cleared (same as the 3DS port) and a new "KOMAINU Barrier Attack" mode (basically an easy mode where you can take some extra hits from environmental hazards). Tried the single joycon vertical mode motion control option once - kind of a neat gimmick, but nothing I would ever prefer to use for serious play. All in all, this port is probably the ideal way to play Space Harrier on a modern TV, and it also plays wonderfully in portable mode.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

hamfighterx wrote:So, it's on sale now for $6.67 in the US Switch eshop (33% off)... I'm kinda tempted due to the nice looking graphics and some surprisingly consistent positive reviews on Steam. Seems like something very much in the vein of Harmful Park or Parodius, which I can get behind. But if it's as bad as clippa says, maybe not worth the time.

Anyone else played it and have quick impressions?
30FPS is a bit of an eyesore and it's blurry in docked mode, but it's not completely awful. Lots of charcaters to choose from, and the bosses are pretty cool, though they often smack of Cuphead from a design standpoint.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
julencin2000

Post by julencin2000 »

Kiken wrote:Dispatch Games have opened up preorders for Game Tengoku Cruisin Mix on Switch.. Regular edition is $40, LE is $100.
I ordered both GTCM and Radirgy, they charged the money instantly but since that day, August 20th, no answers from them except an interaction from their Twitter. I wanted to change the default "expedited shipping" but it's impossible to get them to answer my emails.

Beware Dispatch Games, they get you money and they'll Psyvariar it all again.
steveovig

Post by steveovig »

Does anyone have any updates on Strikers 99 in the US and EU?
PAULINK

Post by PAULINK »

steveovig wrote:Does anyone have any updates on Strikers 99 in the US and EU?
After seeing it pop up in the JP shop I was hoping it would come out on NA when the weekly shop reset... guess I was wrong. About to import a 1000 yen card and buy it on jp.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

PAULINK wrote:About to import a 1000 yen card and buy it on jp.
Or wait for the NISA release. I thought I'd like Strikers 99 but it fell pretty short on the fun factor side of things. I think I like 45 II best of them when all is said and done.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
mbd

Post by mbd »

I think it was pointed out earlier, but it looks like Velocity 2x is missing from the list on the original post.
Velocity 2X, Vertical, No, 6,97, Strictly Limited Games, FuturLab, Yes
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

I think pretty much all prior Zerodiv Psikyo release came to EU/NA eShop like 1-2 weeks after Japan.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Updated some stuff here and there
Working in the japanese language achievement
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

The random classic drops from Irem like X-Multiply and Image Fight make me hopeful to see ports of R-Type Leo and Armed Police Unit Gallop. Among other non Irem games.
The day I get a Cave/Toaplan collection or a proper Gradius Collection (be it just the PSP port or fresh new one), I'm stoked. Hell, Konami could give me Gradius Gaiden or V and I'd love them again.
I remember seeing Blazing Star just...on the shop. Like it was nothing. God, I remember it used to be SO hard to get a hold of these games for me. Now they're just falling into my lap. It's magical.
iplaymyshmups

Post by iplaymyshmups »

Not gonna lie. If back in 2016 someone told me that Nintendo Switch will become a shmup powerhouse I'd be laughing at that person considering how dry N64, GC, Wii was with that genre. This just might be the first Nintendo console I will buy since the SNES days.
Keeping your games sealed is like keeping your ass sealed when you have to take a number 2. Not natural.

My Instagram: galvatron86
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

iplaymyshmups wrote:Not gonna lie. If back in 2016 someone told me that Nintendo Switch will become a shmup powerhouse I'd be laughing at that person considering how dry N64, GC, Wii was with that genre. This just might be the first Nintendo console I will buy since the SNES days.
Yeah, even the DS and 3DS had pretty much nothing which you'd expect those to at least have some here and there. I can only name the NanoStray series and Metal Torrent for the DS. 3DS has basically none. I don't even think it had the obligatory Gradius NES port Nintendo usually put up front in it's usual NES round ups.
And now here's the Switch with relatively lesser known stuff they're putting up. Like EDF in the first 20 of the SNES online service (though I'd have preferred R-Type 3)
CRP

Post by CRP »

In the Hunt and Detana!! TwinBee on Arcade Archives is announced

https://nintendoeverything.com/new-wave ... -tgs-2019/
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Ghost Blade HD
On sale for $12 until Now 6
blossom

Post by blossom »

I refuse to support a developer who neglects to give proper credit to everyone who worked on their game.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Ghost Blade HD
On sale for $12 until Now 6
I've been getting into this somewhat with the Switch release. I bounced off it on PS4 because it felt a bit stiff and then I got a 360 and it became redundant. Nevertheless, a decent little game while on the road.

One question, though: Does anybody else think that the hitbox is really weird? Like, they went to the trouble of putting a very conspicuous Cave-style circular hitbox marker on the ship but not making that the hitbox. It could be my dulled senses but it seems to me that the HB is a fair bit larger than that, or perhaps more towards the nose of the ship.

Anyone got any insights at all, please?
blossom wrote:I refuse to support a developer who neglects to give proper credit to everyone who worked on their game.
Likewise, any more light anyone can share on this point?
clippa

Post by clippa »

I think I remember reading something about ser flash, that guy who does the bullet heaven videos on youtube, he's also a musician and he did a sort of arrange soundtrack for the HD release and didn't get

Oh, there we go - https://twitter.com/Serraxor/status/1172225061652238338
Long story short: I've been mistreated and verbally attacked for years by the devs, omitted completely from marketing and improperly/not credited in physical releases.
FRO

Post by FRO »

He was on my podcast for our Ghost Blade episode, to talk about his involvement with the HD re-release of the game, so we hoped to shed some light on this, but yeah, he pretty much got the short end of the stick on that deal.
OSUANDY

Post by OSUANDY »

Stanshall wrote: One question, though: Does anybody else think that the hitbox is really weird? Like, they went to the trouble of putting a very conspicuous Cave-style circular hitbox marker on the ship but not making that the hitbox. It could be my dulled senses but it seems to me that the HB is a fair bit larger than that, or perhaps more towards the nose of the ship.

Anyone got any insights at all, please?
I noticed this as well, and it always throws me off when I play this. They put that small black dot inside the hitbox circle, but I am pretty sure the entire circle is the hitbox.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

CRP wrote:In the Hunt and Detana!! TwinBee on Arcade Archives is announced
Oh shit yes! With all the Irem stuff coming out, I was hoping they'd get to In The Hunt.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

In The Hunt also marks their first go at M92 emulation - this could be fn' rad, R-Type Leo and Gun Hohki pls! Also GEOSTORM and YUSHICOPS Image
phlipzero

Post by phlipzero »

Sturmwind EX has been released for Switch (eShop)
CRP

Post by CRP »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Kaitei Daisensou / In The Hunt / SUBMARINE WAR is out now. Image I know this is a Switch Shump thread but I don't have one. I do have a PS4 though, and it is running swimmingly (bwaaa!) there. Control response is sharp, slowdown is apt, bass is thumping. ACA M92 maiden voyage (yeee) looking great so far.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Picked it up on PS4 as well. It's a good sign when the game has been out a few hours and someone already has 1.4 million in hi-score mode (that's pretty ridiculous), it means people who know what they are doing can pick it up and do just as well.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.