Sds3 with core coming soon.. what am I in for?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
eclypse

Sds3 with core coming soon.. what am I in for?

Post by eclypse »

So I recently bought up a Nec Core system with SD Super system 3 board and 2 controllers from a guy on ebay.

Thought it was a good idea as I currently dont have a nec system and was planning on buying a Turbo Duo again and mod it.. but then found a good rgb modded Turbo Duo r system and was going to buy that till I read about the super sd system 3 cart.

Anyways.. now with everything I'm reading.. wow I'm i in for a world of hurt.

I'm guessing it's a rev 2 board. Selling states he bought his in april 2018.. right when they caught the reversed chips but his was the first that wasnt reversed.

So anyways.. I have a ossc 1.6v and want to use that.. comes with some scary cable. Says it all works good.

Assuming I have options.. bypass the video on the cart, do the rgb mod in the system insted and cut the rgb/c sync on the super sd cart..

Audio.. that's gona be an pain cause i see there not making the audio board anymore.

Funny thing is he has not shipped it yet but I'm sure it i mention to cancel the order he will state its shipped.

I'm willing to make a project out of this if needed.

I also hear there making more super sd system 3 boards soon next month so that sucks but no idea if all these problems will be fixed anyways.

What's my best option?

Dump the core and grab a supergrafx system and rgb mod the system and leave the super sd alone? Get and install the fu-rgb bypass board for the ssds3 and do what for audio?

Help!
eclypse

Re: Sds3 with core coming soon.. what am I in for?

Post by eclypse »

Welp this drama has already come to a close as I originally posted this like a week ago or so and my first post was being approved all this time.

Anyways, its a Rev 2 board and i'm using an old 1985 Sony Trinitron with RGB input using a scart cable.. so I don't see any noise in the screen whatsoever. Its all good.

Been told I can still get it RBG and audio bypassed if wanted.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

eclypse wrote:Anyways, its a Rev 2 board and i'm using an old 1985 Sony Trinitron with RGB input using a scart cable.. so I don't see any noise in the screen whatsoever. Its all good.
Generally speaking, CRT's can be a LOT more forgiving than the same exact console upscaled on a flatscreen. I didn't see/notice half of the video problem areas (on several consoles) until I started upscaling them on a modern TV.
xterc

Post by xterc »

Although I've done the mods on mine they are by no means necessary to enjoy the system. There are some amazing games on the PC Engine and the SSDS3 is the best way to play them.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I am getting no cd music or audio from the games when I am using SSDS3.
Do I need to pull RGB outta the SSDS3 to get cd audio?
Cuz I'm using the Super GrafX to output graphics. I don't have a video cable for the SSDS3.
The normal audio is working, but the cd audio isn't.
I can select some kind of CD BLOCK thing. But it's at 100.
The guy who I bought it from said it was modded for both audio fix and graphics fix.
It's very buzzy sound altogether IMO bzzzzzz
Gara

Post by Gara »

You need to use the ssds3 for cd audio. You can pull video off the rgb modded system and then audio off the ssds3, but you'll need a custom cable to do it.

You might want to clarify your story if you need additional assistance. I'm not sure if you're using a modified coregrafx or a stock supergrafx. The same for your ssds3. Its an older version with the video fix mod but not the audio fix mod?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

yeah I plugged in the genesis component cable and now I'm getting cd audio.
so unlike the cdrom2 audio isn't routed back into the supergrafx. thanks :)