Transformers games on the PS3

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Classicgamer

Transformers games on the PS3

Post by Classicgamer »

What are the best Transformers games on the PS3?

I bought Fall of Cybertron recently. It had the potential to be great but they screwed it up for me. First, they don't let you choose to play as Octimus or Bumblebee at the start of the game which annoyed both me and my four-year-old (who cried when he found out). I can't be arsed with all this unlocking characters nonsense.

Then, they force you to play (at least) the first two levels in total darkness. Is it just me or is realistic night time in a game a bad idea? There I am, forced to play as a transformer I have never heard of in total darkness with a mission to destroy a baddy who runs away every time I approach. Not being able to see properly was too frustrating so I turned it off.

Are there any decent Transformers games without these two problems?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Re: Transformers games on the PS3

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

The first mission of Fall of Cybertron forces you to be Bumblebee.

War, Fall and Devastation are all decent-ish games worthy of a single playthrough but nothing more. Devastation looks more like the cartoon and has all the well known characters to chose from. Armada on PS2 is the best Transformers game but you wont recognise anyone in it.

Shoutout to Jagex's Transformers:Universe that was cancelled mid-beta. Had a lot of fun with that one.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Classicgamer wrote:First, they don't let you choose to play as Optimus or Bumblebee at the start of the game which annoyed both me and my four-year-old (who cried when he found out).
That really is the only review you will ever need to read for this game.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Who the fuck is Octimus, no one cares if you kid cried and you PLAY as BUMBLEBEE in the the FIRST stage.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Guy's I don't mean to pee on anyone's camp fire but..,. The training "mission" in fall of cybertron does not count. When you start the actual game, Bumblebee is locked...

You only get to pick one character and it ain't bumblebee or Optimus which is an abomination. And... Unlike the daytime training mission, the actual game starts in total darkness which is only made worse when your energy is low as pitch black turns to pitch black with red smoke. And your energy gets low quick because you keep getting shot by badies you can't see.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:The first mission of Fall of Cybertron forces you to be Bumblebee.

War, Fall and Devastation are all decent-ish games worthy of a single playthrough but nothing more. Devastation looks more like the cartoon and has all the well known characters to chose from. Armada on PS2 is the best Transformers game but you wont recognise anyone in it.

Shoutout to Jagex's Transformers:Universe that was cancelled mid-beta. Had a lot of fun with that one.
Is Devastation a good game?

You can't have a Transformers game with no well-known robots. It would be like a He-Man game with no He-Man. It just wouldn't be a He-Man game even if they called it "He-Man".
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Classicgamer wrote:Is Devastation a good game?
It's made by Platinum, features many of the original voice actors from the cartoon, features the "Dodge At The Right Moment And Go Into Bullet Time" mechanic from Bayonetta... uh... it doesn't look like Michael Bay's Transformers?

It all boils down to how much of a fan of the original cartoon you are, IMHO.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Specineff wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:Is Devastation a good game?
It's made by Platinum, features many of the original voice actors from the cartoon, features the "Dodge At The Right Moment And Go Into Bullet Time" mechanic from Bayonetta... uh... it doesn't look like Michael Bay's Transformers?

It all boils down to how much of a fan of the original cartoon you are, IMHO.
I guess I'd lean more towards being a fan of the original cartoon look for nostalgia's sake. With that said, I don't really mind as long as I can recognize the characters.

I'll give it a shot. PS3 games are fairly cheap right now so it's no big deal if I don't like it.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's short but quite fun if you are a Transformers fan.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

You people are insane. Devastation is on a whole nother level than those Michael Bay tie-ins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7SYGNyRHY

And as you can see, yes, you CAN play Optimus Prime or Bumblebee.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Mischief Maker wrote:You people are insane. Devastation is on a whole nother level than those Michael Bay tie-ins:
I did say it's fun. I wouldn't even go near the games based on the Bay movies.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

No one in the thread posted anything about Bay tie-ins.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Marc

Post by Marc »

I enjoyed one of the Cybertron games, the second one I think- got a bit repetitive by the end, but good solid shooty fun while it lasted.
I should love Devastation, but I can't for the life of me get into the Platinum style of brawler. It seems solely based on dodging at entirely the correct moment, performing a pre-set combo, rinse & repeat. Shame, as aesthetically it's spot on.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Mischief Maker wrote:You people are insane. Devastation is on a whole nother level than those Michael Bay tie-ins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7SYGNyRHY

And as you can see, yes, you CAN play Optimus Prime or Bumblebee.

It does look more like what I was hoping for. And, it looks like you play with the lights on which is already better. I do like to be able to see what I'm playing.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Transformers Devastation is awesome!

You start off playing as Optimus and Bumblebee. All the artwork and animation is spot on. It looks just like the cartoon I remember. The game is played during the day, so you can actually see what is going on. And, you don't have to keep your finger on the button to stay as a truck when you transform. Magic!

Thanks for the recommendation.