Analouge's DAC - Beta going out

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: Analouge's DAC - Beta going out

Post by Guspaz »

fernan1234 wrote:Well that's silly. I guess all those new collectors will want that cool OG SD2SNES! Anyway, how much more expensive is the pro than the original was? Can't be that different so just get the pro.
The SD2SNES was $150 USD, the SD2SNES Pro is $200 USD.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Guspaz wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Well that's silly. I guess all those new collectors will want that cool OG SD2SNES! Anyway, how much more expensive is the pro than the original was? Can't be that different so just get the pro.
The SD2SNES was $150 USD, the SD2SNES Pro is $200 USD.
That is definitely a new lowered price point for the non pro. When I ordered my SD2SNES board, which was just the PCB it was 190, and that was in 2015. Ones that come like the SD2SNES pro now comes with a shell, screws, label, etc were easily over 200. When MLiG did their Everdrive video at the end of 2016, they talk about the SD2SNES being 196.99 for the basic edition. Including showing the page from Stone Age Gamer.

https://youtu.be/fuHA3k-y6PE?t=1861
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

*shrug* in either case it's the same or more than the cost of the Super Nt, which already includes a lot of (but certianly not all of) the SD2SNES functionality, aside from being, you know, an entire game console.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Guspaz wrote:*shrug* in either case it's the same or more than the cost of the Super Nt, which already includes a lot of (but certianly not all of) the SD2SNES functionality, aside from being, you know, an entire game console.
I've got the SDS2SNES Pro and the Super Nt. For me, I can use the pro on real hardware to run the games library, while the Super Nt is my novelty device for portability. I can loan it out to family or friends and they don't need to have anything besides an HDTV to set it up.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Any reason to get an SD2SNES Pro if you already have an SD2SNES from 2018?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

It will be interesting to see how this DAC holds up against the original consoles.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Lawfer wrote:Any reason to get an SD2SNES Pro if you already have an SD2SNES from 2018?
Future potential I suppose. It can potentially support things like save states with sound or more polished enhanced chipsets. I'm not sure anyone is even developing features like that. They are hypothetical features as the pro has a more powerful fpga.
In addition the pro apparently has the least audio noise of any revision.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Gara wrote:In addition the pro apparently has the least audio noise of any revision.
Interesting, I never heard that, got any links?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

What is the "least audio noise" about? Never noticed any audio noise at all in the first place.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:What is the "least audio noise" about? Never noticed any audio noise at all in the first place.
DTS-HD Master Audio support confirmed.
Gara

Post by Gara »

fernan1234 wrote:What is the "least audio noise" about? Never noticed any audio noise at all in the first place.
The machine noise you hear on quiet parts or the general noise a learned ear can pick up. Described as buzzing or a static sound. Sd2snes has gone through a ton of revisions and all the later ones have greatly improved audio quality. If you don't notice it then I'd advise you not go looking.

I've heard it said that audio noise is a fact of life with many flash carts when compared to original carts. There are so many variables that can introduce audio noise that I am not sure how accurate that is. I play almost exclusively on flash carts these days and it has rarely been a big enough issue that I've obsessed about it. Terraonion's SSDS3 is probably the most notorious for having noise. Early SD2SNES revisions are also incredibly noisy.
Lawfer wrote:
Gara wrote:In addition the pro apparently has the least audio noise of any revision.
Interesting, I never heard that, got any links?
I'm going off memory. I think it was mostly on Discord that I saw the noise being discussed. Around the time the Sd2Snes Pro was announced there was quite a bit of discussion going on. Here is a couple quotes from Ikari that I was able to pull up.
ikari_0102/03/2019
you might notice it puts a bit less interference on the audio channels
it might be the least noisy sd2snes to date :wink:
Rahzadan02/08/2019
@ikari_01 Do you foresee any PCB revisions to SD2SNES Pro? I assume the same MSU1 audio fixes are applied to SD2SNES MKIII as with MKII Rev H/J?

ikari_0102/08/2019
Hard to foresee. :wink: Everything learned from Mk.II revisions has been integrated in Mk.III.
plus I slightly adjusted the audio output resistors, added back AC coupling to avoid continuous current flow into the SNES's Line-In's termination resistors, and added some ferrites. Noise level should have improved, at least according to my measurements
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Thanks!
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Looks like the DAC is going to have 32x support. Kevin said this last night on the MLIG live stream.
parodius

Post by parodius »

citrus3000psi wrote:Looks like the DAC is going to have 32x support. Kevin said this last night on the MLIG live stream.
As in, connect the output of the DAC to the input of the 32X ? Or something more complex like mixing both outputs ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

If I had to speculate (I did not watch the live stream) the 32x core will reside on the DAC board. This is where the video mixing will occur. So I would not expect digital 32x output, analog only
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Wouldn't Analogue DAC having 32x support just mean that it will now work with a Mega Sg? Since the Mega Sg only has an HDMI output you can't connect it with a 32x, but with the Analogue DAC you now can, connect the Mega Sg to a 32x and connect the 32x to your CRT?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Yeah this does make sense. I was stuck on not using original hardware at all for the 32x. But yeah, DAC to physical 32x to makes sense.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

In the recent MLiG stream which featured the Analogue DAC, we get to see the control menu for the DAC which is integrated in the Nt/Sg's menu system. There are RGB sync controls which directly control the FPGA sitting in the DAC and not the one inside the console itself.

In other words: there's a communication link between the Nt/Sg and the DAC somewhere. And the same link can of course provide a lock-out, so the whole 15khz output only gets enabled when a genuine Analogue DAC unit is detected.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Kinda reminds me of the Apple approach. Force--I mean, create a product ecosystem incentive for a better user experience!