gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ErebusMaligan

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by ErebusMaligan »

I'm all for being critical of the overall design of micro usb, and even the resulting switches if people genuinely have issues (i'm by no means a kiss-ass about these sorts of products regardless of how niche they are), but...

The connector on one of my switches is very accessible to me, so I thought I'd take a closer look at how well these were mounted. I have to say it's on there pretty securely. Securely enough that the connector on the cable starts to give against its plastic housing before the connector on the switch even flinches, if i start applying upward force. So I feel like one would have to really be quite rough with the port to tear it off like that, barring some individual unit defect.

If people are really worried about it, i'd say glue it down. If people really want a barrel jack it would also be pretty easy to glue one pretty much anywhere on the switch and run wires to the pads as well.
Last edited by ErebusMaligan on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

I hope I didnt seem critical, I just wanted to give a suggestion that I thought might help superg.
I'm sure its just an isolated case and kres24GT was just unlucky with their micro USB port.
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

Link83 wrote:I hope I didnt seem critical, I just wanted to give a suggestion that I thought might help superg.
I'm sure its just an isolated case and kres24GT was just unlucky with their micro USB port.
It was kind of my fault. While obviously I wish it were sturdier, I was trying to strong arm some SCART cables when it snapped off. My wife found a past client of hers who is pretty sure he can fix. So all is well. Even though it means some re-running a lot of cables I am pretty confident I can make it work once it's fixed. I have a very complicated set-up that extends beyond my retro game stuff and it leads to a lot of cables. I am sure others know the pain.
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

Separate question I hope someone her can answer as I've struggled finding a solution online. I recently converted most all of my retro consoles to RGB SCART or HDMI. The one console I was having trouble with was NES. I finally got a reasonably priced RGB modded NES on eBay. The listing said JP-21/SCART. I probably should have inquired prior to purchasing but it was only JP-21. Also the audio is separated out as part of the mod so it requires a cable like this:

https://retro-access.com/products/ninte ... ade-boards

This is the SCART version of the cable I currently have that is JP-21. Unfortunately, despite the in stock at Sunday 10AM message, it never is in stock. I did find one that didn't have the audio portion, but the mod I guess doesn't support that one as there was no audio. I also couldn't find a JP-21 to SCART converter and there was some question as to whether that would support audio (not sure why it wouldn't).

Any suggestions on what I can do as I am hoping to plug it into my gscartsw switch?

Not sure if this matters but: I have 6 SCART devices which will be going into the switch, that goes out to Framemeister, which in turn goes HDMI Out to an HDMI switcher which goes into my receiver. Receiver goes HDMI out to TV.

I am new to this so sorry if I am not explaining something correctly.
superg

Post by superg »

kres24GT wrote:Separate question I hope someone her can answer as I've struggled finding a solution online. I recently converted most all of my retro consoles to RGB SCART or HDMI. The one console I was having trouble with was NES. I finally got a reasonably priced RGB modded NES on eBay. The listing said JP-21/SCART. I probably should have inquired prior to purchasing but it was only JP-21. Also the audio is separated out as part of the mod so it requires a cable like this:

This is the SCART version of the cable I currently have that is JP-21. Unfortunately, despite the in stock at Sunday 10AM message, it never is in stock. I did find one that didn't have the audio portion, but the mod I guess doesn't support that one as there was no audio. I also couldn't find a JP-21 to SCART converter and there was some question as to whether that would support audio (not sure why it wouldn't).

Any suggestions on what I can do as I am hoping to plug it into my gscartsw switch?

Not sure if this matters but: I have 6 SCART devices which will be going into the switch, that goes out to Framemeister, which in turn goes HDMI Out to an HDMI switcher which goes into my receiver. Receiver goes HDMI out to TV.

If you got RGB modded NES, it's most likely nesrgb. You will just need a different cable (SCART and not JP21), that would be better than getting JP21->SCART adapter. Is your NES case modified for MiniDIN or SNES style output connector?
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

superg wrote:
kres24GT wrote:Separate question I hope someone her can answer as I've struggled finding a solution online. I recently converted most all of my retro consoles to RGB SCART or HDMI. The one console I was having trouble with was NES. I finally got a reasonably priced RGB modded NES on eBay. The listing said JP-21/SCART. I probably should have inquired prior to purchasing but it was only JP-21. Also the audio is separated out as part of the mod so it requires a cable like this:

If you got RGB modded NES, it's most likely nesrgb. You will just need a different cable (SCART and not JP21), that would be better than getting JP21->SCART adapter. Is your NES case modified for MiniDIN or SNES style output connector?
The problem is I can't find a SCART version. the link above shows what I would need, but cannot find one anywhere. Don't know if someone knows where I can get one or are there other options? It's 8 Pin Din with the audio separated.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

kres24GT wrote:a cable like this:

Unfortunately, despite the in stock at Sunday 10AM message, it never is in stock.
They don't always restock their website when they say they will. Keep trying. Also follow their Twitter account for (some) updates.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Micro USB is, at this point in time, universally available, and pretty much everybody has a ton of USB power supplies from being USB-powered phones/tablets/etc over the past 10-15 years. If the power adapter/cable that came with my gcompsw fails, I don't have to go online to search for some hard-to-get barrel connector power supply from China, I can just literally use any of the many USB power supplies/cables that I already have.

The only downside is that micro USB is being rapidly replaced by USB-C, so this "universally available" may not be true in five or ten years. On the other hand, if superg ever designs a new switch, USB-C connectors are now widely available and there are many through-hole versions available, where the entire chassis of the socket mounts through the board and also provides ground. So while there are no plans to revise it today, there are options for future products/designs.
cicciobombo

Post by cicciobombo »

Hello there!
Is there anyway I can contact superg personally for press/business enquiries regarding the gscartsw?

Thanks in advance!
alexmc

Post by alexmc »

Hi, is there any downside for having the gscartsw always powered on?
superg

Post by superg »

alexmc wrote:Hi, is there any downside for having the gscartsw always powered on?
It's designed to run 24/7, I never turn off mine.
vip77

Post by vip77 »

Hello, I just ordered the new gscartsw and I have a question about daisy-chaining it to my gscartsw_lite. I've read through the thread and haven't come across any suggestions so I figured I would ask. My understanding is the new switch converts sync-on-Green to RGBs so I will definitely put my PS2 on it, but, is there any difference on where I put it in the chain? For instance:

Would gscartsw --> gscartsw_lite --> xrgb /ossc--> tv be any different than gscartsw_lite --> gscartsw --> xrgb /ossc --> tv. I wouldn't think it would make any difference, but figured I'd consult the thread just in case, especially if it concerns any dip switch settings.

Thanks for any assistance.
superg

Post by superg »

I'm out of gscartsw's but I ordered more some time ago so the ETA is September. gcompsw's are still in stock.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Any chance we might ever see a ghdmisw? There is a surprising lack of good autoswitching HDMI switches with more than 8 ports, and even those that do exist with 8 ports reportedly don't always play nice with the OSSC.

I'd love to have a 12 to 16 port automatic HDMI switch that works like the gcompsw/gscartsw, so that I can just plug all my HDMI stuff in and not have to remember what input things are on. Or an 8-port automatic switch that is designed to be expanded by plugging one switch into another.
superg

Post by superg »

Guspaz wrote:Any chance we might ever see a ghdmisw? There is a surprising lack of good autoswitching HDMI switches with more than 8 ports, and even those that do exist with 8 ports reportedly don't always play nice with the OSSC.

I'd love to have a 12 to 16 port automatic HDMI switch that works like the gcompsw/gscartsw, so that I can just plug all my HDMI stuff in and not have to remember what input things are on. Or an 8-port automatic switch that is designed to be expanded by plugging one switch into another.
I don't think so, such a project requires a lot of time. I'm using my audio receiver for that purpose, which is not always automatic and has some issues but overall at least something :).
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Back from vacation, and finally got to bring the gscartsw home from the postoffice where it was waiting for over a week :lol: I have shuffled some around in the retro setup and hooked everything up, and looking forward to some testing this week! Today was a very busy day so little to no time for gaming.

I got a little surprised on how small it was to be honest, I always thought it was a bit bigger :P Looks splendid!
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Just ordered a gscartsw today. Repeat customer (I had the 3.4) but I am so stoked. I really just want a regular second scart output to use with my PVM or whatever. And sync regen + no lo-pass filter is probably a good thing.

I think I must have taken the last of superg's stock. If I have to wait for September I won't cry, but if I got a shipping notice I probably get it soon..?
Guspaz wrote:Any chance we might ever see a ghdmisw? There is a surprising lack of good autoswitching HDMI switches with more than 8 ports, and even those that do exist with 8 ports reportedly don't always play nice with the OSSC.

Since superg isn't making one, it would really be nice if we had a good HDMI auto-switching option that the community can settle on. There are sooo many out there and it's hard to know which one to take a chance on. Obviously OSSC compat is a must, and at this point might as well handle 4k/HDR just for future proofing. I don't think it needs to have tons and tons of inputs as long as it's able to be daisy chained with multiple units. But more than 3-4 inputs would be nice.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

PixelDharma wrote:Since superg isn't making one, it would really be nice if we had a good HDMI auto-switching option that the community can settle on. There are sooo many out there and it's hard to know which one to take a chance on. Obviously OSSC compat is a must, and at this point might as well handle 4k/HDR just for future proofing. I don't think it needs to have tons and tons of inputs as long as it's able to be daisy chained with multiple units. But more than 3-4 inputs would be nice.
It should also be open enough that a group like VGP or Stone Age Gamer can produce them freely and for as long as possible. The Vorke HD41pro is nice, but it's no longer easily obtainable.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

PixelDharma wrote:Just ordered a gscartsw today. Repeat customer (I had the 3.4) but I am so stoked. I really just want a regular second scart output to use with my PVM or whatever. And sync regen + no lo-pass filter is probably a good thing.

I think I must have taken the last of superg's stock. If I have to wait for September I won't cry, but if I got a shipping notice I probably get it soon..?

Since superg isn't making one, it would really be nice if we had a good HDMI auto-switching option that the community can settle on. There are sooo many out there and it's hard to know which one to take a chance on. Obviously OSSC compat is a must, and at this point might as well handle 4k/HDR just for future proofing. I don't think it needs to have tons and tons of inputs as long as it's able to be daisy chained with multiple units. But more than 3-4 inputs would be nice.
As @nmalinoski mentioned, the Vorke is super, but DirkSwizzler originally recommended the Prosumer in his thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585. It's 4 port, but still it's great and can be daisy chained. The Prosumer is available, but at a pretty hefty price...
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

ldeveraux wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:Just ordered a gscartsw today. Repeat customer (I had the 3.4) but I am so stoked. I really just want a regular second scart output to use with my PVM or whatever. And sync regen + no lo-pass filter is probably a good thing.

As @nmalinoski mentioned, the Vorke is super, but DirkSwizzler originally recommended the Prosumer in his thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63585. It's 4 port, but still it's great and can be daisy chained. The Prosumer is available, but at a pretty hefty price...
Nice. I might consider buying 1 or 2 of those. It is a bit expensive, but well... I'm already happily paying hundreds for scart switchers ;) I also remember the average HDMI switcher being $100 a decade back.
Itsumimario

Post by Itsumimario »

PixelDharma wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

Nice. I might consider buying 1 or 2 of those. It is a bit expensive, but well... I'm already happily paying hundreds for scart switchers ;) I also remember the average HDMI switcher being $100 a decade back.
There’s a 16 port automatic HDMI switcher now sold on aliexpress by a company called Tesla Smart (lol). No reviews, no one in the retro gaming community has bought one as far as I can tell. About $230 with shipping to the US.

I took the plunge and ordered it a few days ago. Hoping it actually works because there’s literally nothing else like it on the market. It’ll look nice next to my gscartsw and gcompsw:)
PureRetroCO

Post by PureRetroCO »

I just preordered one of these. any idea when in September they will be available?

my PVM output stopped working so I cannot stream thru it anymore which is a real bummer. This seems like the best solution.

Thanks!
Streaming Retro games Monday Night 10PM Eastern at https://www.twitch.tv/pure_retro_co
Daily retro posts on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/pure_retro_co/
superg

Post by superg »

PureRetroCO wrote:I just preordered one of these. any idea when in September they will be available?

my PVM output stopped working so I cannot stream thru it anymore which is a real bummer. This seems like the best solution.

Thanks!
I'd say a second part of September.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I have a component modded SNES (I didn't do it, not sure how) that I use a tssr cable to get video. when plugged into the gcompsw, I get a purple/green image but no moving video. Is this something in my cable, or more voodoo?
Pikkon

Post by Pikkon »

I sold the snes to ldeveraux,the mod I did was this.
https://i.imgur.com/9Gp64JJ.jpg

I tweak it a bit to try to match rgb as best I could,he told me the snes works fine on his ossc direct,I use a cheap philips automatic component switcher and the snes worked fine with it,would also like to know why it's not working with his gcompsw.
superg

Post by superg »

Pikkon wrote:I sold the snes to ldeveraux,the mod I did was this.

I tweak it a bit to try to match rgb as best I could,he told me the snes works fine on his ossc direct,I use a cheap philips automatic component switcher and the snes worked fine with it,would also like to know why it's not working with his gcompsw.
If gcompsw led doesn't blink when you turn on SNES, measure Y sync level.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:

It does blink, it just displays as described.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

Itsumimario wrote: There’s a 16 port automatic HDMI switcher now sold on aliexpress by a company called Tesla Smart (lol). No reviews, no one in the retro gaming community has bought one as far as I can tell. About $230 with shipping to the US.

I took the plunge and ordered it a few days ago. Hoping it actually works because there’s literally nothing else like it on the market. It’ll look nice next to my gscartsw and gcompsw:)
Nice. Do let us know how it works for you.
Itsumimario

Post by Itsumimario »

PixelDharma wrote:
Itsumimario wrote: There’s a 16 port automatic HDMI switcher now sold on aliexpress by a company called Tesla Smart (lol). No reviews, no one in the retro gaming community has bought one as far as I can tell. About $230 with shipping to the US.

Nice. Do let us know how it works for you.
Will do, fingers crossed that it’s not junk. I also plan on testing it with various 5-port HDMI switchers that I’ve purchased from Amazon (Kinivo, AVhack, awakelion, dragang) to see if any of these can be chained with it (either in a cascading fashion or a hub-and-spoke fashion—sorry if I’m misusing terminology I don’t really know what I’m talking about). What I’m hoping to achieve is a set up where a single 5 port HDMI switcher (that supports 4K at 60hz) has 4K devices going directly into it, and then plug the rest of my devices that don’t need full 4K at 60hz support into this 16 port HDMI switch (since it appears to support 4K only at 30hz). What I consider “passing” my test is that when I turn on any console (no matter whether it’s behind multiple layers down the chain vs. directly connected to the 5 port switcher), the 16 port switch and the 5 port switch do whatever communication is necessary to negotiate port switching such that the most recently switched on game console shows up on my TV screen. Not getting my hopes up, since none of my collection of 5 port switches are able to do that negotiation with each other, and I don’t expect this 16 port switch to be any different.

And of course I’ll also test whether it’ll play nice with Superg’s hardware. At the very least I’m hoping the following scenario will work:
(gscartsw + gcompsw) -> OSSC -> 16 port HDMI switch -> TV

What I’m hoping is that the OSSC will be smart enough to autoswitch input from, say, a component game console to a SCART console (whichever has active signal) and then route that signal upstream to the 16 port HDMI switch. And then additionally the 16 port switch intelligently autoswitches between a modern HDMI console and my retro component/SCART consoles as well. Again, my expectations are low.
My dream set up requires a rather specific set of behaviors from a combination of devices.

(You’d think someone in the retro gaming community would have figured out a completely automatic set up by now for those with > 10 or 15 consoles that use a combination of SCART, component, and HDMI.)
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote:
superg wrote:

It does blink, it just displays as described.
Purple / green image is weird. Check your component cable going from switch to screen. Unplug everything except green RCA, this carries sync and brightness so you should get BW image. Then add other video RCA one by one (blue then red). Have some color test patterns from 240p test suite or something similar.