Mega SD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Re: Mega SD

Post by Kez »

Elrinth wrote:As Spain is in EU, we do not have any customs taxes which is lovely.
I'm not sure why your item shipped from Spain - but the issue is that most or all of the items that ship moving forward will be coming from Andorra, which is not in the EU.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Kez wrote:
Elrinth wrote:As Spain is in EU, we do not have any customs taxes which is lovely.
I'm not sure why your item shipped from Spain - but the issue is that most or all of the items that ship moving forward will be coming from Andorra, which is not in the EU.
I know it's Wikipedia, but this says Andorra is considered an EU member where non-agricultural trade is concerned. I'm not an expert when it comes to the EU or trade, but I take this to mean that there would be no tariffs or customs taxes incurred if you're in the EU and buying something from Andorra.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

LDigital wrote:I ordered within the first 2hours of announcement and had my shipping confirmation 11 days ago. I still can’t get a tracking update via dhl as my tracking info isn’t found. What a mess
I had the same problem. It wasn’t until I received an email from Terraonion on Monday I could get the tracking info. DHL actually tried to deliver today even though it was meant to arrive tomorrow.
Kez

Post by Kez »

nmalinoski wrote: I know it's Wikipedia, but this says Andorra is considered an EU member where non-agricultural trade is concerned. I'm not an expert when it comes to the EU or trade, but I take this to mean that there would be no tariffs or customs taxes incurred if you're in the EU and buying something from Andorra.
I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of international customs but it is a fact that many people in the EU have been charged tax (specifically VAT) on the Mega SD, myself included. I wouldn't be comfortable giving anyone in the EU the impression that they won't have extra to pay.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Kez wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: I know it's Wikipedia, but this says Andorra is considered an EU member where non-agricultural trade is concerned. I'm not an expert when it comes to the EU or trade, but I take this to mean that there would be no tariffs or customs taxes incurred if you're in the EU and buying something from Andorra.
I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of international customs but it is a fact that many people in the EU have been charged tax (specifically VAT) on the Mega SD, myself included. I wouldn't be comfortable giving anyone in the EU the impression that they won't have extra to pay.
Sorry, I don't mean to give that impression. Maybe they did just raise the price 17 EUR and are masking that by no longer showing the VAT-included price as well.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Kez wrote:
Legally VAT (value added tax) is a completely separate animal from import tariffs. Among other uses VAT is a way for the EU to make buying from outside the EU less attractive, without violating WTO rules and other trade agreements. In truth goods sold within the EU have VAT tacked on as well. But the customer sees VAT as an extra expense when importing.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

LDigital wrote: my shipping confirmation 11 days ago. I still can’t get a tracking update via dhl as my tracking info isn’t found. What a mess
This is my experience too :( Hopefully it comes soon.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Yeah I'm sorry, I confused this with a different parcel (RetroTink2X) from a guy on facebook.
I have the exact same experience as you all other, there is no information to be found on the DHL homepage on the terraonion package!
parodius

Post by parodius »

I received an email from Terra Onion 2 days ago about my DHL shipment, among other things it was mentioning "Due to the sheer number of shipments being sent out, this process could take up to 3 weeks to complete".
Lo and behold, I received the parcel today in Singapore !

I'll try it this week end hopefully.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

My Mega SD is here! And I haven’t organised the contents of my SD card properly so I can’t select individual CD games. Doh! Still the cart and packing look good and it runs fine on my Mega SG. I’ll get back to sorting the files out later. Straight on to Aleste as soon as I can.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

CMcK wrote:My Mega SD is here! And I haven’t organised the contents of my SD card properly so I can’t select individual CD games. Doh! Still the cart and packing look good and it runs fine on my Mega SG. I’ll get back to sorting the files out later. Straight on to Aleste as soon as I can.
Good to hear you got yours, looking forward to hearing your impressions! Once you get things up and running would you mind explaining how you need to have things structured on the sd card? I have all the roms I need already and if I know how things need to be setup on the sd card I can get a head start before mine arrives.
FBX

Post by FBX »

AceFan84 wrote:
Good to hear you got yours, looking forward to hearing your impressions! Once you get things up and running would you mind explaining how you need to have things structured on the sd card? I have all the roms I need already and if I know how things need to be setup on the sd card I can get a head start before mine arrives.
You can structure the folder system however you like, but I believe Sega CD games each need their own folder for the images. You can put all those folders in a main folder and call it "Sega CD" or whatever you like. The menu system allows you to navigate to sub-folders.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

FBX wrote:
AceFan84 wrote:
You can structure the folder system however you like, but I believe Sega CD games each need their own folder for the images. You can put all those folders in a main folder and call it "Sega CD" or whatever you like. The menu system allows you to navigate to sub-folders.
Ok cool, thanks!
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

This is such bs, I had a tracking number 13 days ago and it still doesn’t track and there is no sign of it
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

My first impressions of the Mega SD are very positive. I like the Euro demo scene style interface. Games load quickly, the sound is clear and accurate and all of the games I’ve tried so far seem just like they should. It’s a real treat seeing them on a modern display.
I’m using ver 2.00 BIOS for US Sega CD. After registering the device I see the new firmware that supports Virtua Racing isn’t available yet.

Played some Silpheed, Bari-Arm, Nobunaga and his Ninja Force this evening. All running perfectly as far as I can see.

Curious about what the scaler speed option is for though.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

Anybody in Maryland, USA receive theirs yet? I am going on vacation and am worried that it is going to be delivered right after I leave. Does DHL give any sort of notifications? They still say my tracking number is invalid...
FBX

Post by FBX »

CMcK wrote:My first impressions of the Mega SD are very positive. I like the Euro demo scene style interface. Games load quickly, the sound is clear and accurate and all of the games I’ve tried so far seem just like they should. It’s a real treat seeing them on a modern display.
I’m using ver 2.00 BIOS for US Sega CD. After registering the device I see the new firmware that supports Virtua Racing isn’t available yet.

Played some Silpheed, Bari-Arm, Nobunaga and his Ninja Force this evening. All running perfectly as far as I can see.
Glad you like it! Neodev is constantly working on bug fixes too. They want to get as close to 100% as possible as far as games working without issue.
broken

Post by broken »

MegaSD Firmware 1.02 R04 Public Release!

- Fix sprites not appearing in some games until unpausing if restoring to paused state
- Add Virtua Racing. SSP160x core used with permisson from Sergey Dvodnenko
- Add Reset to defaults option
- Fix backup ram not working properly when using the enhanced SSF2 mapper
- Fix The Terminator (and probably others) not detecting the end of track when playing the last track of the CD
- Megadrive Games with save RAM overlaying ROM area will now have save RAM enabled by default, instead of requiring whitelisting
- Fix Final fight freezing randomly and on continue screen.
- Fix Corpse killer hang when skipping cutscenes.
- Fix SMS bankswitching in some console models
- Fix Make My Video audio/video desync and glitches
- Fix some pier solar reprints not working in MD+ mode
- Fix Flux not detecting megacd in MegaSG console

HOW TO UPDATE

Place the firmware file in the SDCard and boot MegaSD. After the MegaSD splash, a message will pop up notifying a new software update is available. Press A button to update or B button to continue to the menu.
While updating DON'T TURN YOUR CONSOLE OFF. It will take some time depending on the systems needing update (up to 1 minute), you'll see progress bars to ensure it's working properly.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
parodius

Post by parodius »

broken wrote:- Fix Final fight freezing randomly and on continue screen.
Great !
I've been testing various rips of Final Fight CD this afternoon, after I noticed my freshly ripped Final Fight CD japan version patched with Pyron's color enhancements was freezing during the demo at Guy's profile, and randomly at the end of stage 1.
Now it's working fine.

Edit : and the support of VR is a nice bonus.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

LDigital wrote:This is such bs, I had a tracking number 13 days ago and it still doesn’t track and there is no sign of it
Update. It’s finally due to arrive on Wednesday but I got hit with a £55 import charge due to importing from outside EU. Leaves a bit of a bad taste as I didn’t see anything about Andorra or factor in this cost. I suppose I need to get used to it for when we turn ourselves into the North Korea of Europe.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Is it possible To play pier solar with cd audio without mega cd attachment ? :)
broken

Post by broken »

Yes. MegaSD supports Pier Solar plus it’s audio Cd.
Todd of Retro Frog

LDigital

Post by LDigital »

It’s received! I am instantly finding some issues with it though. Need to check my iso set. If there’s a trusted set someone knows, please pm me

I’m not sure if it’s my stock gen 2 or what but I am getting the same loud sd read noise that plagued the unmodded sssd3 before the capacitor fix. I am wondering if an audio bypass mod would deal with that

More impressions soon
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

LDigital wrote:’m not sure if it’s my stock gen 2 or what but I am getting the same loud sd read noise that plagued the unmodded sssd3 before the capacitor fix.
Well it wouldn't be a TO product without some nice SD read noise. It's part of the signature experience at this point :lol:

But just in case, make sure that your video cables are properly seated. With SSDS3 sometimes I got SD noise when there wasn't supposed to be any or as much and tightening the cable connection helped, I guess the audio line on the AV connector can easily pick up the noise from their well-designed circuits.
Gara

Post by Gara »

LDigital wrote:It’s received! I am instantly finding some issues with it though. Need to check my iso set. If there’s a trusted set someone knows, please pm me

I pmed you a link to the redump set everyone seems to be using. I'm not aware of anyone doing a curated set specifically for the mega sd. It would be nice to see fan translations and things like the unworking designs mods included.
FBX

Post by FBX »

LDigital wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s my stock gen 2 or what but I am getting the same loud sd read noise that plagued the unmodded sssd3 before the capacitor fix.
It can't be that loud. Not even close in fact. They worked on that for like two months getting it as close to nil as possible. On my M1 consoles, you have to crank it up even louder than a cap-fixed SSDS3 on a Super Grafx.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

FBX wrote:
LDigital wrote:
I’m not sure if it’s my stock gen 2 or what but I am getting the same loud sd read noise that plagued the unmodded sssd3 before the capacitor fix.
It can't be that loud. Not even close in fact. They worked on that for like two months getting it as close to nil as possible. On my M1 consoles, you have to crank it up even louder than a cap-fixed SSDS3 on a Super Grafx.
It really is but I am not getting the issue on my hd gen1 so I’ll put it down to the gen 2 which I just picked up and suspect could be noisy as it gives a little noise on my everdrive also. I will see what that is like after I do an audio bypass.

Thanks for the link

In sonic cd I have tried 2 different region dumps and on both I get about 1 second of the start of the music missing on the titlescreen and palmtree panic act1, however after those two incidents act 2 or time warp music plays in full as expected. Possibly 2 bad dumps?

Also I’m getting a tiny amount of intermittent audio dropout on the snatcher intro music, sounds like 1ms every 3 seconds or so. Hoping this is a bad dump issue too.

Had a random crash on silpheed first level when I got the first power up. Couldn’t get that issue to repeat.

Still testing but it’s a nice piece of kit. There are some non software issues that I want to give the terra team a chance to respond on so I’ll leave it at that for now
broken

Post by broken »

We recommend the redump ISO’s.
Todd of Retro Frog

Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Ordered mine two weeks ago, apparently they haven't shipped yet. Said something about they're catching up on all of the orders.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

LDigital wrote:
FBX wrote:
LDigital wrote:
It really is but I am not getting the issue on my hd gen1 so I’ll put it down to the gen 2 which I just picked up and suspect could be noisy as it gives a little noise on my everdrive also. I will see what that is like after I do an audio bypass.

Thanks for the link

In sonic cd I have tried 2 different region dumps and on both I get about 1 second of the start of the music missing on the titlescreen and palmtree panic act1, however after those two incidents act 2 or time warp music plays in full as expected. Possibly 2 bad dumps?

Also I’m getting a tiny amount of intermittent audio dropout on the snatcher intro music, sounds like 1ms every 3 seconds or so. Hoping this is a bad dump issue too.

Had a random crash on silpheed first level when I got the first power up. Couldn’t get that issue to repeat.

Still testing but it’s a nice piece of kit. There are some non software issues that I want to give the terra team a chance to respond on so I’ll leave it at that for now

It's your consoles. The power rails on the US Genesis, especially the model 2 are plain awful for noise. I have been working on the nomad circuitry for months. I took the opportunity to test both my Everdrive X7 and the MegaSD using the custom Triple Bypass I am designing. Not only is the background noise noticeable with both, it's noticeably worse on the Everdrive X7. This was confirmed using MDFourier. I did comparisons of both drives with no other changes and the noise floor and affect on the audio channels was not just audibly noticeable but noticeable scientifically as well.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech