Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART Converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART Converter

Post by strygo »

eBay Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/YPbPr-to-RGB-S ... Sw6QJdJDXo

Has anyone tried one of these? I'm still looking for a solution that handles 240p-1080i. I ran into issues with the Garo and Garo 2 (documented in the Garo thread). The Extron CVC 300 has produced the best results for me, but it doesn't automatically handle 480i/480p (requires the use of a small dial on the front).

I'd love to pick up an RTC 2200 or an Audio Authority 9A65 but haven't been able to track either one down. I'm hoping this Linuxbot3000 might be the answer.
muggsy

Re: Linuxbot3000 YPbPr to SCART Converter

Post by muggsy »

I have 2 of these. I have not tested anything above 240/480i but with a correct power supply I got good results

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

A slightly older version of their VGA to YPbPr converter gave me purple streaks on dark to bright color transitions. This was when it was plexiglass instead of in an enclosure- not sure if board designs have been updated.

May be worth a shot, but Shinybow's are still available new for just a bit more, and are recommended by pretty much everyone.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
strygo

Post by strygo »

bobrocks95: I have a Shinybow, and I agree that it is great. For this, I’m looking to go the opposite direction and this task has proved more elusive.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

strygo wrote:bobrocks95: I have a Shinybow, and I agree that it is great. For this, I’m looking to go the opposite direction and this task has proved more elusive.
Ah, my bad for not catching that. I think it's worth a shot then- linuxbot accepted my return quickly and with no arguments or anything, they were fine to work with if you do run into any issues, but return shipping to New Zealand hurt a bit.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:Shinybow's are still available new for just a bit more, and are recommended by pretty much everyone.
I'd buy one myself, but the Shinybow (the SB-2840 ??) is double the price.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

ldeveraux wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Shinybow's are still available new for just a bit more, and are recommended by pretty much everyone.
Double the price, but thoroughly tested and vetted by the community. I will say I felt the same way before, and people recommended the Shinybow but I wanted to try multiple other (cheaper) options first, and I would have saved time, money, and headache just going with the Shinybow from the start.

Not knocking Linuxbot's stuff, it would be nice if someone took the plunge and these cheaper alternatives were ran through their paces, but again the Shinybow is still available brand new for now...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Double the price, but thoroughly tested and vetted by the community. I will say I felt the same way before, and people recommended the Shinybow but I wanted to try multiple other (cheaper) options first, and I would have saved time, money, and headache just going with the Shinybow from the start.

Not knocking Linuxbot's stuff, it would be nice if someone took the plunge and these cheaper alternatives were ran through their paces, but again the Shinybow is still available brand new for now...
Yeah that's true. This does SCART to component, what about going the other way? I was thinking the Extron HD 301 or Gefen Hi Def scaler?
strygo

Post by strygo »

eBay had a 10% in-app eBucks special, so I caved and ordered the YPbPr -> SCART adapter. I'll update this thread with my experience once I receive it.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

The Shinybow is up to $156 on EBAY now. Yikes!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ldeveraux wrote:The Shinybow is up to $156 on EBAY now. Yikes!
Order from Ani-AV instead. it is $75 on there : https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=220
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

FinalBaton wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:The Shinybow is up to $156 on EBAY now. Yikes!
Order from Ani-AV instead. it is $75 on there : https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=220
Yeah, that's a far better option. Ordered from there, thanks!
strygo

Post by strygo »

Finally. I think my search has come to an end. The Linuxbot device arrived last weekend, but I didn't have time to test it until tonight. The device works great. I highly recommend it.

As a refresher, I've been looking for a good YPbPr to RGB SCART converter for quite some time. The challenge has been finding a no fuss solution that can handle 240p/480i/480p/720p. My setup routes a handful of YPbPr systems (Xbox, GC, Wii, PS2, PSP) through a Shinybow component switch to a W-Hydra. My W-Hydra is out of RGB slots, so in a perfect world, I'd add a second SCART switch and use RGB for these systems. But I digress.

What I've tested so far:

- Garo V1: Issues with 720p/1080i, and sync drops on the W-Hydra when switching component sources.
- Garo V1 + Kenzei: At DirkSwizzler's suggestion, this solution resolves the 720p/1080i issues, but I still see sync drops when switching sources.
- Garo V2: Same issues as Garo V1.
- Extron CVC 300: Handles everything, but requires manual switching via a cumbersome dial between progressive and interlace sources.
- Linuxbot3000: Handles everything automatically. Doesn't drop sync when switching component sources.

Other things to note: the device itself is quite sturdy and also smaller than the other solutions. It uses USB-C, which was a minor pain (I needed to order a cable), but otherwise works great. I took a few photos of the device and screenshots. Apologies for the poor lighting.

https://imgur.com/a/ptHgVFv

It's available to order here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174012549809?V ... 4012549809
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There isn't any text visible on the chips, but that looks like possibly the same LMH1251 that the Garo uses, but it also looks like there's what looks like a THS7374, so they're buffering the the video output, unlike the Garo. Got a bodge wire/resistor going on there though.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

You didn't mention color accuracy... Wasn't that the main complain the last person who bought one of these on this forum had?
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Yeah I am curious how good this is. Especially with how good it interfaces with gscart.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

+1

Curious about this as well.

With a matrix switch, it should be possible to feed the OSSC direct component and SCART (using the converter box). That would allow for easy comparison.

Should be practically identical, but is it?
We apologise for the inconvenience
strygo

Post by strygo »

Absolutely no color issues observed on any of the systems I mentioned.

Bear in mind that there have been no reports of color issues with this device. My understanding is that those reports were for the RGB to YPbPr converter they sell.

In any case, I can do the comparison you suggest easily. It will be limited to my HS420 TV, but I will post some photos soon.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

strygo wrote:Bear in mind that there have been no reports of color issues with this device. My understanding is that those reports were for the RGB to YPbPr converter they sell.
Personally speaking, my issue was with the RGB to YPbPr adapter with the Dsub connector, yes.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

strygo wrote:Finally. I think my search has come to an end. The Linuxbot device arrived last weekend, but I didn't have time to test it until tonight. The device works great. I highly recommend it.

As a refresher, I've been looking for a good YPbPr to RGB SCART converter for quite some time. The challenge has been finding a no fuss solution that can handle 240p/480i/480p/720p. My setup routes a handful of YPbPr systems (Xbox, GC, Wii, PS2, PSP) through a Shinybow component switch to a W-Hydra. My W-Hydra is out of RGB slots, so in a perfect world, I'd add a second SCART switch and use RGB for these systems. But I digress.

What I've tested so far:

- Garo V1: Issues with 720p/1080i, and sync drops on the W-Hydra when switching component sources.
- Garo V1 + Kenzei: At DirkSwizzler's suggestion, this solution resolves the 720p/1080i issues, but I still see sync drops when switching sources.
- Extron CVC 300: Handles everything, but requires manual switching via a cumbersome dial between progressive and interlace sources.
- Linuxbot3000: Handles everything automatically. Doesn't drop sync when switching component sources.

Other things to note: the device itself is quite sturdy and also smaller than the other solutions. It uses USB-C, which was a minor pain (I needed to order a cable), but otherwise works great. I took a few photos of the device and screenshots. Apologies for the poor lighting.

It's available to order here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174012549809?V ... 4012549809
Thanks for the info. I have also been searching for a decent component to rgb solution to use a Wii and Xbox on my crt arcade monitors.

Out of curiosity, why do you need it for your PS2? They output RGB natively. I use mine on my tri-sync CRT in 15khz and 31khz with no issues.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The only output formats that the PS2 supports (without hard/soft modification) for all output resolutions are YPbPr and RGsB. While sync-on-green is not a problem for many setups, not everybody has displays or scalers or switches that support it.
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

strygo wrote:Finally. I think my search has come to an end. The Linuxbot device arrived last weekend, but I didn't have time to test it until tonight. The device works great. I highly recommend it.

What I've tested so far:

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll order one as well.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Guspaz wrote:The only output formats that the PS2 supports (without hard/soft modification) for all output resolutions are YPbPr and RGsB. While sync-on-green is not a problem for many setups, not everybody has displays or scalers or switches that support it.
Good point. My setup could handle RGsB, but I switched back to YPbPr to make room on my SCART switch. If I could completely eliminate YPbPr, I would, but a few of the systems don’t have great RGB alternatives.

I invariably get everything to fit, and then a new system comes out that causes problems. I’m facing similar issues with HDMI and all these mini consoles that keep coming out. :-P
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I, on the other hand, just competed my migration to all YPbPr, using all HDRV cables :P
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Guspaz wrote:The only output formats that the PS2 supports (without hard/soft modification) for all output resolutions are YPbPr and RGsB. While sync-on-green is not a problem for many setups, not everybody has displays or scalers or switches that support it.
I use the Ultimarc Playstation rgb cable made for tri-sync arcade monitors. It has a built-in sync strike and outputs RGBS in either resolution.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

That's not quite a sync strike, the LM1881 doesn't output a video signal so at best you'd get RGsBS, I think? In any event, that company doesn't seem to exist anymore (their website is now just a password prompt) and using an expensive active cable is still a disincentive for most people who are happy enough to just use YPbPr and get the same results with a simpler approach.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Guspaz wrote:That's not quite a sync strike, the LM1881 doesn't output a video signal so at best you'd get RGsBS, I think? In any event, that company doesn't seem to exist anymore (their website is now just a password prompt) and using an expensive active cable is still a disincentive for most people who are happy enough to just use YPbPr and get the same results with a simpler approach.
I don't know what's going on with their site but their Playstation tri-sync cable definitely outputs rgbs. It has a sync separator circuit built in. They aren't the only ones who sell an rgbs ps1 / ps2 cable either.

I'm not sure why you keep saying the cables are expensive. I paid around $20 for it. And, I paid less than $15 on ebay for my last two Extron RGB interfaces and they take care of any sync related issues. There are dozens of them on ebay right now starting at less than $10.

Maybe I am richer than I thought but $10 - $20 is not that much and it's obviously better than using a converter to go from component to RGB (in terms of image quality).

The only reason I'd use a component to RGB transcoder is if there is no other choice. The American Wii has no RGB option and, for reasons I'll never understand, the original Xbox disables it for 480p.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

My understanding is that the only output format that supports all resolutions on the PS2 is YPbPr; where RGB is concerned, it uses RGBS (sync on composite or sync on luma, depending on cable wiring) for 15kHz and then RGsB for all others.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Anyone feel like testing on a scope and posting results? It's a bit more complicated then just RGB signal testing, but Ste explains it pretty detailed in the last video on this page: https://www.retrorgb.com/oscilloscope.html
strygo

Post by strygo »

I don't happen to have a scope.

I went to do some comparison shots this weekend. I happen to have an EDTV (Sony HS420) wired such that I could easily test direct component from the various component systems against a conversion from component to RGB (via a variety of these converters) back to component (via the Shinybow RGB to component converter).

I discovered a noticeable degradation of signal quality. At first, I assumed it was the Linuxbot3000 converter, but then I tested all of the other YPbPr to RGB converters on hand and saw the same behavior. I eliminated a few hops in the chain (a W-Hydra and a Shinybow SCART distribution amplifier) and the problem persisted. I tested the Garo/Kenzei combo, the CVC 300, and this new device. So the problem seems to be with the RGB->YPbPr conversion.

I'm a bit perplexed about why I'm seeing this degradation on the Shinybow, since it had been such a step up from the CSY 2100 clone I'd first gotten. At the time, I did the majority of my testing on 240p content. I haven't seen others complain of this problem.

I plan to do what orange808 suggested - I'll route these various devices direct to the OSSC and take some photos for comparison.

I apparently also now need to figure out why the RGB->YPbPr conversion is problematic too. :)