Sony PSP screen differences between models?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Sony PSP screen differences between models?

Post by Classicgamer »

I recently replaced my broken PSP because I broke the screen. I didn't think to check the model number and the new one I received seems to be the older fat model. the screen seems different.

Is there a difference in the screen resolution with each PSP model? The screen on my old PSP 2000 was crisp. Almost too jagged on old sprite based games. The screen on my new PSP 1000 has a softer image that seems almost out of focus. Kinda like when they display 240p games in 480i on the PS2...

Is this just a difference in the quality of the lcd panels they used or is there an actual difference in the native res?
Gara

Re: Sony PSP screen differences between models?

Post by Gara »

The screen is different on every model. 1000 is usually considered the worst of the lot. The biggest contentions come from 2000 vs 3000. 2000 has less ghosting but much worse colors and brightness. 3000 has a bright vibrant image but suffers from an interlacing problem that in my opinion makes it horrid.

Pspgo has by far the best screen of the psp lineup. Smaller but beautiful with none of the interlacing problems. Without a grip the pspgo is very awkward for long sessions. The best way to play psp games is to just use a Vita. The original oled screens works wonders on them and is an exact 2x scale of the psp image.

Try YouTube. You should find a ton of videos giving examples of the screen differences.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Overall PSPGo has the best screen, main issues are that it's smaller and weirdly shaped compared to the PSP-1000/2000/3000, there is also an issue I noticed is that the heat from the battery who is placed on the right side of the PSPGo causes the right part of the screen to become faded (because of the heat of the battery).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I found that every new model was an upgrade to my eyes. I think the GO looks great but the digital only and smaller screen make it a no go option for me. I end up prefering the 3000 for physical games.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Classicgamer wrote:I recently replaced my broken PSP because I broke the screen. I didn't think to check the model number and the new one I received seems to be the older fat model. the screen seems different.

Is there a difference in the screen resolution with each PSP model? The screen on my old PSP 2000 was crisp. Almost too jagged on old sprite based games. The screen on my new PSP 1000 has a softer image that seems almost out of focus. Kinda like when they display 240p games in 480i on the PS2...

Is this just a difference in the quality of the lcd panels they used or is there an actual difference in the native res?
The contrast ratio is better on the 3000 compared to previous models but displays in interlaced and is noticeable.

The 2000 has a softer image but is an upgrade from the 1000 series. It also displays a progressive image with no line trembling. (Personal choice)

The psp go is beautiful but doesn’t support physical UMD. It supports a ps3 controller and if jail broken can play psp games comfortably from your couch

The ps tv can emulate psp decentlyif jailbroken but is not actual hardware and has the disadvantages of
Emulation like input lag and screen tearing. The advantage is you can use a ps4 controller but that is added lag as well.

I really liked the color on the psp 3000 but was turned off by the tremble. If you want to play tv out it doesn’t matter though as it’s component out supports progressive:

The go is the ultimate tv out device if your starting fresh and do not wish to use your umds

If your looking for the a lesser screen brightness and contrast ratio that has a progressive screen go for the psp 2000.
Copyright 1987
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Just to clarify, you can play PSP games on the PSP Go on a TV (from the couch) without jailbreaking. The jailbreaking is just for loading PSP ISOs.

Of course, the game library for the PSP Go is pathetic, only 52 full games are available for sale.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Guspaz wrote:Just to clarify, you can play PSP games on the PSP Go on a TV (from the couch) without jailbreaking.
You can do the same with PSP-2000 and PSP-3000.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, but without the DualShock 3 support that the Go has.

The Go is kind of ideal for PSX games, then. They were digital-download-only, so the Go's lack of an optical drive isn't an issue, and like the 2000 and 3000, it can output 240p analog video for use on a TV/OSSC/RetroTink. And PSX on PSP isn't emulation, but hardware backcompat.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

If playing on a TV is on the table and this isn't exclusively about finding the nicest compact portable screen, then a PS3 with a Cobra-enabled CFW (like Rebug) is also a great option for PSP games.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

It's all a little odd and hard to understand. According to Wiki all 3 models used the same 272 x 480 screen res. Why they chose a 272 line display for 240p content is beyond me but it accounts for the soft image on the PSP 1000.

It seems like we are missing some key info on what makes the displays look different on each model. It's more than just contrast or brightness. They would likely have needed to improve the scaling capability on later models to make 240p content look sharp in 4:3 aspect ration on a 272 line screen. Or, perhaps the 2000 is the only model to use a 60hz refresh rate?

Has anyone tried upgrading the PSP 1000 screen to see if sharpens the image?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:If playing on a TV is on the table and this isn't exclusively about finding the nicest compact portable screen, then a PS3 with a Cobra-enabled CFW (like Rebug) is also a great option for PSP games.
That would be an emulator right? What's the difference between that and just using PPSSPP?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:It's all a little odd and hard to understand. According to Wiki all 3 models used the same 272 x 480 screen res. Why they chose a 272 line display for 240p content is beyond me but it accounts for the soft image on the PSP 1000.
My understanding is that PSP games are rendered at the screen's native resolution, not that they're rendered at 240 lines and upscaled to 272 lines. What sources say PSP games are 240p native?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:If playing on a TV is on the table and this isn't exclusively about finding the nicest compact portable screen, then a PS3 with a Cobra-enabled CFW (like Rebug) is also a great option for PSP games.
That would be an emulator right? What's the difference between that and just using PPSSPP?
I think difference is that it uses the PS3's native PSP emulation which is supposed to be flawless, like the native PS2 emulation.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

What is "native emulation"? That sounds like a made-up term. Early PS3 units had actual PS2 hardware onboard, but none of them ever had any PSP hardware...

The software emulator that the PS3 used for PS2 games (after all PS2 hardware was removed) was very far from perfect. It was tuned for each game and people who tried to use it for unsupported games found varying compatibility.
Last edited by Guspaz on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

What about the European-only PSP street? I would presume it's on par with the PSP go in regards to display quality, but does have a UMD drive.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

fernan1234 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
I think difference is that it uses the PS3's native PSP emulation which is supposed to be flawless, like the native PS2 emulation.
I've read that PSP emulation on PS3 can have noticeably worse performance than a real PSP. Wasn't this emulator primarily used for those very light "mini" games on PS Store?

Also, the 240p Guspaz mentioned was when playing PS1 games only, and outputting to a TV. PSP games are 272p natively, just like the screen :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
I don't think any official Sony emulation has been flawless. There are PS1 games that are not fully compatible with the PS2's backwards compatibility, the CECHA and CECHB PS3s were not 100% compatible with all PS2 and PS1 games (I had difficulty finding a similar incompatibility list, but psdevwiki has a fairly comprehensive list), and the CECHC and CECHE PS3s even less so due to the elimination of the PS2 EE.
Thomago wrote:What about the European-only PSP street? I would presume it's on par with the PSP go in regards to display quality, but does have a UMD drive.
Considering when it was released, I assume the PSP Street is based on the PSP-3000 series and would therefore have a similar screen.
Konsolkongen wrote:Also, the 240p Guspaz mentioned was when playing PS1 games only, and outputting to a TV. PSP games are 272p natively, just like the screen :)
Oh, if we're talking PS1 games, then he should try setting the emulator's display mode to Original (or native or whatever it's called) so that it gets windowboxed. I have a PSP-1001, and PS1 games get a little fuzzy in full-screen mode, but are nice and crisp when windowboxed and at their native resolution.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yeah looking into it I was probably off about PSP on PS3, I haven't tried it much myself but I remember reading that a lot of games run without issues with cobra enabled. PS2 games that are not incompatible with PS3 emulation do run without issues on all models now apparently.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

nmalinoski wrote:Considering when it was released, I assume the PSP Street is based on the PSP-3000 series and would therefore have a similar screen.
It definitely doesn't have any interlacing artifacts.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

fernan1234 wrote:Yeah looking into it I was probably off about PSP on PS3, I haven't tried it much myself but I remember reading that a lot of games run without issues with cobra enabled. PS2 games that are not incompatible with PS3 emulation do run without issues on all models now apparently.
"Games that are compatible are compatible" is not a terribly useful statement...

You can see the full list of PS2 games tested against ps2_netemu, Sony's software PS2 emulator that was used for all their download PS2 games on the PS3:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Class ... ility_List

The compatibility is overall mediocre. Not all hardware features are implemented. For example, the emulator doesn't even support mipmapping, a pretty basic GPU feature. That wasn't emulated until the PS4 version of the PS2 emulator.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Honestly the PSPGo not playing UMDs is a feature. Much better off loading game isos.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Guspaz wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Yeah looking into it I was probably off about PSP on PS3, I haven't tried it much myself but I remember reading that a lot of games run without issues with cobra enabled. PS2 games that are not incompatible with PS3 emulation do run without issues on all models now apparently.
"Games that are compatible are compatible" is not a terribly useful statement...

You can see the full list of PS2 games tested against ps2_netemu, Sony's software PS2 emulator that was used for all their download PS2 games on the PS3:

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Class ... ility_List

The compatibility is overall mediocre. Not all hardware features are implemented. For example, the emulator doesn't even support mipmapping, a pretty basic GPU feature. That wasn't emulated until the PS4 version of the PS2 emulator.
I wouldn't recommend a PS3 as anyone's main PS2 solution, for sure. Personally I only use a fat PS2+HDD with OPL on a CRT. But it does look like the more popular titles that most people care about do run as they should, and it is overall pretty convenient for people casual PS2 play especially via HDMI on a flat panel.

For PSP it may also be a pretty convenient solution as long as the games you care about run as they should. Apparently games will look better than on the portable screens, and like PS2 games now the images can be loaded directly from the XMB.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If you just want to play PSP games on a big screen, you have other options, including PSP video output and PS TV (though the latter has a quite blurry upscale).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Honestly the PSPGo not playing UMDs is a feature. Much better off loading game isos.
Yeah games playing off UMD wasn't so great, games running off the PSPGo internal flash memory are great nothing beats that, the memory cards for the PSPGo also are pretty good (just slightly not as good the internal memory).

Guspaz wrote:If you just want to play PSP games on a big screen, you have other options, including PSP video output and PS TV (though the latter has a quite blurry upscale).
No this is emulation and the result is beyond awful no matter what resolution you choose., compared to that the un-upscaled 480p outpout of the PSPGo on a 1080p looks fantastic in comparison.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Basically psp1000 is a no-go and psp-2000 or psp-3000 is really up to personal preference imho. The go is nice but i’ve always found it too gimmicky and an ergonomic disaster coming from the proper psp form factor.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:It's all a little odd and hard to understand. According to Wiki all 3 models used the same 272 x 480 screen res. Why they chose a 272 line display for 240p content is beyond me but it accounts for the soft image on the PSP 1000.
My understanding is that PSP games are rendered at the screen's native resolution, not that they're rendered at 240 lines and upscaled to 272 lines. What sources say PSP games are 240p native?

I'm sure you're right about games made specifically for the PSP. The screen differences that bother me are most evident on games previously made for other (usually 240p) systems like my Capcom Classics and SNK collection UMDs. All 3d games made for the PSP look bad on any screen.

Most of my UMDs have the option to display native res (for the game), "modified" which is 4:3 scaled to 272p and a fullscreen option (which stretches 4:3 content to widescreen. The image on my psp 1000 is relatively crisp at native res but the image is squashed like on a pal console. The modified 4:3 fills the vertical space properly but with a loss in clarity. Same with fullscreen.

My PSP 2000 allowed sprite based games to be played in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio without a loss of clarity. It had the opposite issue (I.e. Jaggies). As both have 272p screens, I assume the loss in clarity is related to the framerate.

I haven't seen a PSP 3000 but I doubt it suffers from interlacing issues. Most likely, the bothersome "interlacing effect" is from the screen running at 30fps progressive instead of 60. I can't find any actual info on this though.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Lawfer wrote:No this is emulation and the result is beyond awful
Pick your poison. The PS3 is emulating it. The PS Vita/TV is emulating it. The only way to play PSP games on a big screen without emulation is on an actual PSP, and the only way to do that from a couch (well, other than a very long component cable) is via a PSP Go.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Guspaz wrote:
Lawfer wrote:No this is emulation and the result is beyond awful
Pick your poison. The PS3 is emulating it. The PS Vita/TV is emulating it. The only way to play PSP games on a big screen without emulation is on an actual PSP, and the only way to do that from a couch (well, other than a very long component cable) is via a PSP Go.
The PSP-2000 and 3000 let's you do that too.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 don't support controllers. So you need to hold the PSP in your hands and get some component extension cables, which is not ideal compared to a dualshock 3.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Guspaz wrote:The PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 don't support controllers. So you need to hold the PSP in your hands and get some component extension cables, which is not ideal compared to a dualshock 3.
The original component cable is pretty long, maybe 2.00m? 2.50m? You will have to use the PSP as a controller, but these play UMDs, if not you can install Custom Firmware on a PSPGo and call it a day, there's quite a few fan-translated games too: https://www.romhacking.net/?page=transl ... ssearch=Go

Oh you also need a PS3 to sync the Dualshock 3 to the PSPGo and you will lose the sync each time you rehook the Dualshock 3 on the PS3 needing to redo the process again, the best thing to do is get a dedicated dualshock 3 just for the PSPGo, never hook it again and use the Dualshock 3 Charging Station.