OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
paulb_nl

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by paulb_nl »

With my N64 I get the best results with 3 for lineX4 and 4 for lineX5. https://i.imgur.com/wNzLJdx.png
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Seeing some of you guys know how to calculate all of this. Would it be possible to make a tool for calculations?
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Finally sitting down and trying to get everything configured between the OSSC and the VP50.

With 11+ systems and various resolutions, is there enough room to have all the profiles on the ossc saved for easy access?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Finally sitting down and trying to get everything configured between the OSSC and the VP50.

With 11+ systems and various resolutions, is there enough room to have all the profiles on the ossc saved for easy access?
Likely no. You've only got 15 slots, and here are some things to consider:
  • Genesis/MD has two resolutions
  • TG-16/PCE has at least two common resolutions
  • GameCube may need one for GC games and one for GBA
  • Saturn has two or three
Some are very close and won't require a lot of tweaking to jump between. You can see the list I've been maintaining here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1954283489
RottenToTheGore

SavagePencil wrote:
RottenToTheGore wrote:Finally sitting down and trying to get everything configured between the OSSC and the VP50.

Some are very close and won't require a lot of tweaking to jump between. You can see the list I've been maintaining here:

Thanks, I'll check it out. It would be nice if I could do something like have 2 microSD cards and switch them out depending on the system I wanted to play. But I'll probably go with the most commonly used system and then tweak when I need to.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

RottenToTheGore wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:

Thanks, I'll check it out. It would be nice if I could do something like have 2 microSD cards and switch them out depending on the system I wanted to play. But I'll probably go with the most commonly used system and then tweak when I need to.
Managing profiles on multiple SD cards sounds like an utter hassle, as does having to keep track of which games use which video modes and therefore which profile to load.

What does the rest of your setup look like? Are you going for more of a fully-automatic setup, or do you have some manual switching involved with something like an Extron CrossPoint?
RottenToTheGore

nmalinoski wrote:What does the rest of your setup look like? Are you going for more of a fully-automatic setup, or do you have some manual switching involved with something like an Extron CrossPoint?
Crosspoint>OSSC>VP50>Receiver>Display
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Is there no way to get a correct 4:3 aspect ratio in 5x Line mode? Doesn‘t matter if I use Generic 4:3 or 256x240 optim. the picture ist always stretched slightly.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

5x is based on a 1600x1200 output. If you're using the cropped 5x 1080p output mode, the pixel ratio remains identical. It just seems a little wider because of the cropping.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Even using 1600x1200 generic, 5x is just a bit too wide with the default settings. You can set the horizontal sample rate to 1950 to correct it.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Sirotaca wrote:Even using 1600x1200 generic, 5x is just a bit too wide with the default settings. You can set the horizontal sample rate to 1950 to correct it.
Why not just use 1920x1200p?
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

H6rdc0re wrote:Why not just use 1920x1200p?
Won't make a difference. The issue is present in all 5x generic sampling modes unless you change the sample rate.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

What exactly is preventing the OSSC hardware from displaying a 9x interger?

Is it a lack of ram?

Will there be a future design that releases or an add on kit for OSSC?

What are the chances that OSSC will be the unit to handle 4K upscaling?
Copyright 1987
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Hoagtech wrote:What exactly is preventing the OSSC hardware from displaying a 9x interger?

Is it a lack of ram?

IIRC, FPGAs that can hit the pixel clock required for 4K (>500MHz) cost $1,000s right now, or at least the dev boards do.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Sirotaca wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Why not just use 1920x1200p?
Won't make a difference. The issue is present in all 5x generic sampling modes unless you change the sample rate.
The default generic line5x samplerate value is selected for increased compatibility. As mentioned, 1950 should give aspect identical to generic 3x/4x modes.
bobrocks95 wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:What exactly is preventing the OSSC hardware from displaying a 9x interger?

Is it a lack of ram?

IIRC, FPGAs that can hit the pixel clock required for 4K (>500MHz) cost $1,000s right now, or at least the dev boards do.
Not only the FPGAs are expensive, but the tools and IP required for developing for them cost 4-digit figures. Not really well suited for open projects that try to keep entry cost for new developers low. For now that's the case, but things are likely to get more affordable in future so we'll keep an eye for that.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Having problems with the remote either not working (no reaction on the ossc) or the ossc not reacting to it (light goes on but nothing happens) way too often. sometimes it's fine, but usually changing a few settings takes much longer than it should.

Anyone else experienced this?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

I did, but at an ancient version of the OSSC firmware; the problem has since been solved.
Any chance "ancient firmware" applies to you?
ryu

Post by ryu »

I'm on 0.78a
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ryu wrote:I'm on 0.78a
This is a very old one from years ago, why don't you update to 0.83 or at the very least 0.82?

It's very easy, you only need a Micro SD Card.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Would an Altera Cyclone V allow for a better OSSC (v1.7?) with Line 6x (240p) and Line 3x (480p) support? With current 4K TV's and 1440p monitors that should improve functionality I think.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

is it possible to load the profiles numbered 10-15 via the remote hotkey?
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

maxtherabbit wrote:is it possible to load the profiles numbered 10-15 via the remote hotkey?
Can we load (quickly) the profiles numbered 1-9 with the remote? Just wondering since you mentioned the above (and I missed this if we can, I'll try it when I'm home).
ryu

Post by ryu »

Dochartaigh wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:is it possible to load the profiles numbered 10-15 via the remote hotkey?
Can we load (quickly) the profiles numbered 1-9 with the remote? Just wondering since you mentioned the above (and I missed this if we can, I'll try it when I'm home).
The button in the lower left corner with the purple marker. press that then a button from 0 to 9 to load the respective profile
Lawfer wrote:
ryu wrote:I'm on 0.78a
This is a very old one from years ago, why don't you update to 0.83 or at the very least 0.82?

It's very easy, you only need a Micro SD Card.
Oh man I got my unit from a restock last year or so - thought those came with an up to date firmware. Guess I'll upgrade when I feel like it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

As of 0.83, no. When you hit the Profile Select button on the remote, it only lets you select 0-9. Would be nice if it let you hit the Profile Select button to increment by 10, so hitting Profile Select twice would let you select 10-15 by hitting 0-5 respectively; and, for good measure, hitting it a third time cancels the profile selection.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

nmalinoski wrote:
As of 0.83, no. When you hit the Profile Select button on the remote, it only lets you select 0-9. Would be nice if it let you hit the Profile Select button to increment by 10, so hitting Profile Select twice would let you select 10-15 by hitting 0-5 respectively; and, for good measure, hitting it a third time cancels the profile selection.
that sounds good to me, I use a harmony remote with macros for all my consoles so having a 2-3 step IR command to set the profile is pretty essential

being forced to manually navigate the menu structure for profiles 10-15 makes them useless in my application
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I discovered something interesting yesterday - I have an HDMI->VGA DAC that outputs a bizarre psuedo-random series of negative-going pulses on the Green line when it is not receiving an input signal, though it is well-behaved otherwise.

I noticed that when the OSSC was set to sample YPbPr on AV2, if the DAC is connected to AV3 and not receiving input, the image displayed on the OSSC's output would contain a visual disturbance. If I unplugged the DAC from power or turned on the source going to it the disturbance disappears.

My operating theory is that even though the SoG input pins on the TVP chip are separate for AV3 and AV1/2, the heinous signal being generated on Green by my DAC is disturbing the SoG slicer. (Maybe the internal isolation is not that great?)

As for the disturbance itself - best way I can describe it is randomly occurring flashing horizontal bands of varying width
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Last night, I hooked up my PlayStation with its freshly-installed PSIO to play some MediEvil, and the second intro movie (the one with the scrolling text and narration) reliably has a rapid, wavy, horizontal distortion; it's not like the slow horizontal waviness that at least one other person has reported on the VGP forums. Nothing in that video is legible. The videos before and after, as well as gameplay, are unaffected.

I believe the startup video is being displayed in 480i@59.94, while the affected video is being displayed at 480i@59.90, and gameplay is at 240p (I don't recall the refresh rate). What's weird is that this same distortion affects the white Sony boot sequence, but only some of the time, and a power cycle of the OSSC doesn't fix it.

I'll come back later and edit in the correct numbers, and I'll try input cycling to see if that does anything.

Edit: I had 480i set to Passthrough when this was happening, and I'm thinking that either my display or AVR simply doesn't like 480i over HDMI. I know there were some 480i-over-HDMI issues with some Denon AVRs, so I'll try that test firmware to see if that does anything for me.

Edit 2: Looks like the VIC test firmware in the above linked thread fixes whatever issue I was having; 480i over HDMI ends up looking normal; although it doesn't look like my TV is doing any proper deinterlacing. I can't tell the difference between Passthrough and line2x from the OSSC; I get the same amount of that vertical shimmering, so my TV might be doing bob deinterlacing. I haven't tried turning game mode off; that might make the image look better at the expense of some lag, but, to me, it really doesn't look bad as it is.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

marqs wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:what I found a bit curious about my results: I'm using linex4 for N64 and linex5 for genesis - so with a modifier or '2' that yields a samplerate of 386.5 for the N64 and 427.4 for genesis in 320px mode.

According to the thread on VGP where the N64 "deblur" sampling profile was originally discussed, you said the N64 should be each scanline 3093/4 (773.25) by the numbers, but 3094/4 (773.5) would be commensurate with what the OSSC reports for v. refresh. I got better results with a value of '2' (386.5x2=773) than with a value of '3' (386.75x2=773.5)
They are both equally far from 773.25, have you checked line5x where 386.6 should provide the best result according to calculations?
I went back and retested N64 in both linex4 and linex5, this time taking care to go through a cycle of sampling phase adjustment after any rate change and looking super close at the screen. I got best results in linex5 with a mod of '4' and in linex4 with a mod of '3'

I'm thinking the N64 pixel clock is in fact 773.5
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I get very slight wobble when using Generic 4:3 with my Mega Drive (only console tested), in either 3x or 5x mode. If I change to 320x240 optimized the wobble goes away. Is there any way I can fix this? I prefer Generic 4:3 as it hides a good portion of the jailbars :)

TV is an LG C8.
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Anyone have some suggested settings for running 5x 1600x1200 on a CRT PC monitor? Looking through this thread I haven't seen any settings that aren't for LCDs which don't seem to work well in my case. I have been able to recreate the look of a GBA screen just fine but I can't get the thin division so it ends up just looking...weird. This is my first time playing with it all so I figure I have much to learn. Maybe I am missing something? Hoping someone else is in my same boat and has some settings to get me started.