My STG Music Album (alt. Devil Engine trax) - Codes inside!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
EmperorIng

My STG Music Album (alt. Devil Engine trax) - Codes inside!

Post by EmperorIng »

WARNING!
An Original shmup Music Album
THE STG CHRONICLE
Is Approaching Fast!

https://ec2151.bandcamp.com/album/the-s ... hmup-omake
I was one of the original composers and sfx guys working on Devil Engine, but for a few different reasons my music didn't make the final release. Some of my sound effects are still in the game (and I am still listed in the credits).

I decided not to let the music 'go to waste' and wrote some additional tracks to make my own shootemup album, THE STG CHRONICLE. It has a lot of different styles in it, from Technosoft to ZUNTATA. It's funny to think of the wildly contrasting moods making their way into the finished project, versus the more unified sound design that is in the game as is. The music is pretty near and dear to me, with some tracks being my best work yet.

Since this forum means a lot to me I decided I'd share some free album codes! Pick one and go to https://ec2151.bandcamp.com/yum
It would be great if those with bandcamp accounts leave a recommendation! If you want to pay for it, I won't stop you, but seriously, the codes are right down here. :mrgreen:

Codes:
Spoiler
adwh-354r
--------
vb4g-h44c
--------
lfql-722s
45r4-vlxl
c7mh-geae
--------
esvr-cvh4
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
d7px-7b2s
s5fh-vhxl
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
Album art and ship render was by Adam Ferrando, who is the dev behind Demon's Tilt (which I did the music for).
Last edited by EmperorIng on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am, edited 8 times in total.
schnuth

Re: My STG Music Album (alt. Devil Engine trax) - Codes insi

Post by schnuth »

This looks pretty dope, and I can always use new music. I used code vwwc-3phr. Thanks a lot!
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Awesome! I used the code laxx-cbpx can't wait to listen <3
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Thank you so much!

I used c6ej-xcup.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I used mc2b-epsp. Thank you! :)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I have listened to the tracks you posted on soundcloud for some time now, congratulations on the album, there's some neat stuff there for sure.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

cnrr-ewan
^ Used this, keep rocking on dude.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Thank you! I used code 9jjq-cnpd.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks to all of you for checking it out! I'm proud of the work so I am happy to see some interested listeners.

There are still unused codes, so please have at it! 8)
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Used clrj-3733, thanks! I'll check it out soon.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Definitely interested in hearing to this 8) will grab a code tonight
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Thanks for sharing. Used code ppcm-edqx.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Used dcxb-xr7b!! Thanks! 8)
LSU

Post by LSU »

Used code d7px-7b2s - looking forward to listening - thanks!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I used code esvr-cvh4. Started listening just now. Thanks!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
KAI

Post by KAI »

Used 7as3-5pew. Awesome album, thanks for sharing it.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Used sr5s-g5ae

Thank you. I'll give it a listen with breakfast tomorrow!
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Just wanted to say, I keep replaying this. It's honestly fantastic.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

8)

Used 7jda-b3c2..

cheers
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

DejahThoris wrote:Just wanted to say, I keep replaying this. It's honestly fantastic.
I'm really happy to hear that! By all means, since there's a few codes left, share one or two with folks you think might like it.

And if there's any regular bandcamp users out there, please feel free to leave a little mini-review or recommendation!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Used h3b7-ecan, cheers ING!

Last Slow Dance With Destiny is stunning. :o The ebb and flow was giving me vibes of Blast Wind's The Longest Voyage, in a less overtly hair-metal style. Ending/Staff Roll BGM? Loving Teardrops Over The City too, has that melancholic jazzy Rayxanber III tone (one I've found in few other STGs, come to think of it).

This totally sounds like something you'd find in a PCE-CD Redbook gamerips folder, and you know I mean that in the fondest terms imaginable. Image
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Used code h9jq-xdup. Very nice work. :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Man I listened to this, and it is not just merely "good" - it's damn great.

I can tell you have real musician chops thanks to some details scattered about on the albums. Details that take the songs to higher levels. Details that I don't hear in 90% of Soundcloud chiptuners' music :

-the Doors-esque organ in Strike for Justice! is so good. It takes a good keyboard player to come up with those lines. some pretty intricate, and very interesting/spicy leads

-the choice of sax as lead instrument in Teardrops over the City is insanity - the good kind. very swell

-the stacatto piano behind the punch-led riff in Not So Fast! is genius. Supports the riff without stealing it's thunder, and lifts it to new heights

-the percussions and marimba set the stage in Roar of the Jungle, but the pan flute really thugs at the heartstrings with a "lost Inca civilization" kinda vibe. beautiful and powerful. (all of the slower moody pieces are very powerful in fact)

-Diabolus ex Machina ~ Mechanical Insanity has some gravitas that's just too cool to ignore - legit Final Fantasy 7 vibes

All the rythm sections are crisp and tight, with just enough variations in them, with beautiful, smooth basslines permeating the soundtrack (again : good musicianship evident here). Really perfectly/tastefully programmed.

And all the songs have a clear feel and VGM stage-context. with all moods being so fun, honestly.

Splendid job, man. Be proud!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I didn't initially notice responses, so sorry for my slow reply! But rest assured, I am really grateful for the listens and you guys sharing your thoughts!
BIL wrote: Last Slow Dance With Destiny is stunning. :o The ebb and flow was giving me vibes of Blast Wind's The Longest Voyage, in a less overtly hair-metal style. Ending/Staff Roll BGM? Loving Teardrops Over The City too, has that melancholic jazzy Rayxanber III tone (one I've found in few other STGs, come to think of it).

This totally sounds like something you'd find in a PCE-CD Redbook gamerips folder, and you know I mean that in the fondest terms imaginable. Image
It pleases me that my music pleases the mighty BIL! :wink: It's funny you mention RayXanber, as during the period i was writing the music for Devil Engine, my two largest inspirations were RayXanber and Taito's RAY series. So the soundtrack as it stands is something of a mish-mash lovechild of Yasuhito Saito and Tamayo Kawamoto! It's funny to see these two competing influences throughout my proposed soundtrack, especially when contrasted with the furious Technosoft homage Qwesta's work became.

Last Slow-Dance was originally envisioned as a last-stage BGM - and after I knew I was off the project for good I decided to ditch any semblance of game-looping BGM and just go wild. The track I had in mind was something of a bald-faced homage to RayXanber II's final-stage BGM. Much like the RAY series, I loved the contrast between shoot-em-up hell and downbeat/relaxed music. It creates a perfect juxtaposition in my mind. In fact, more than once while thinking of the track, your phrase "LIGHTERS IN THE AIR FOR ZOUL'S LAST STAND" crossed my mind. :mrgreen: Since ZUNTATA ushered a younger Ing into the love of STG, their melancholy brand of shmup jamz tattooed itself onto my head. This can also be heard in Wave Rider's latter shift from upbeat rock to introspective jazz.

I am quite proud that you think this music can stand toe-to-toe with some of the PC Engine's greatest hits. Though it might not ever reach the heights of Sexy Dynamite. I mean, I accept that.
FinalBaton wrote: And all the songs have a clear feel and VGM stage-context. with all moods being so fun, honestly.
Splendid job, man. Be proud!
Coming from an accomplished musician as yourself, this means quite a bit to me, so thank you! I very much appreciate it given your perspective from a live artist and VGM-connoisseur. :D

As to some of your specific comments:

-I don't know why I decided to add a celtic-flavored solo to Strike for Justice, but it infinitely elevated the track in my opinion. I am sure you have found yourself not really knowing where an improvisational section will lead, as was the case with me, but I try to get out of the way of my own brain when something interesting is happening.

-I was really happy with the Roar of the Jungle track, though it was eventually cut because it lacked the energy for a boss track the dev wanted (again, see my thoughts above as to my reasons). The wistful flute section ties the whole track together, I agree.

-the sax lead for Teardrops over the City was a special request, and the original frame of reference I had was Neo Kobe from SNATCHER. The track is actually an expansion of a short famitracker chiptune I wrote like ten years ago that I tried to bury (because it sucked)... "Expansion" in the sense that the only thing that survived was the first few bars of the melody. This act of self-thievery would result in my most popular track from old builds. A big moment of pride was hearing through the grapevine one of the ZeroRanger devs saying that they really liked the track. It's the little things in life!

-Rhythm is my biggest self-conscious weaknesses in music writing. Drums especially. So I get nervous with them and either over-write them, or get worried about having the same loop play the whole time. So I try to write new patterns for each major section, all by hand. I don't think most listeners can tell that these aren't drum loops, or that they were all written note-by-note, especially since my approach to writing drums is so basic (start with bass+snare, then layer hihats/rides on top + cymbals/toms for emphasis). I am more comfortable with bass because my time in a jazz band rhythm section as a young lad let me groove and listen to some talented friends improvise.
BIL

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:In fact, more than once while thinking of the track, your phrase "LIGHTERS IN THE AIR FOR ZOUL'S LAST STAND" crossed my mind. :mrgreen:
Always was a quality thread, that. ^__^ Sarabada ZOUL, you creepy fucks! In the end, it has to be this way! (;`ω´;)
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I used the code 45r4-vlxl.

Sneaking in a listen while at work and it's fun stuff. Find myself constantly checking if I have another game playlist running in some other tab which speaks well about the "authenticity" of the sound. For the lack of a better wording, it feels "ripped" from the game and not like a "clean" export straight out the DAW, but in a good way? :mrgreen:

Feeling especially drawn to Roar of the Jungle and A Single Ray of Light but Teardrops over the City is strong as well.

Going to check this out at a more leisurely pace over the weekend and definitively check out your other works.

Edit: Okay, so it sounds much clearer at home (no surprises there) but it's well mixed with the stereo effect being utilized a satisfying amount.
Last edited by Ji-L87 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHECKPOINT!
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Many thanks for this! I used code rhb5-c8pa 8)