XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Strider77

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by Strider77 »

So I've FINALLY gotten around to getting one of these things after depending on my XRGB3 for over a decade (head to believe it's been that ling).

My question is about the Saturn. I've read on here that jailbars can be an issue unless you use an older revision of the firmware? Is that still the case?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Kez

Post by Kez »

field3d wrote:Hello. I have maybe a fool question. How do you move from left to right the settings of the zoom when you call zoom from the remote control? For example, I press a button of zoom in the remote control, I see a bar that I can figure if you move left or right you increase or decrease a value. In my case if I use the arrows of the remote control, left or right arrows, simply does nothing. How can you activate that you can move that values? Hid how you move that values?
Perhaps your zoom is currently disabled - try accessing zoom from the menu and check that it is turned on.
Old_Man_Willow wrote:However the real problem is, that when I alter my picture settings to make them brighter, the borders around the picture get brighter too!
If black is not showing as black, your brightness is too high. This can also be cause by using the wrong range as you have deduced, even if it seems too dark upon change it may be correct. I would suggest trying to view some test patterns to calibrate your brightness (a calibration DVD would work). As a starting point use FBX's PS2 480i profile, and generally I would tweak the brightness on the TV itself rather than the FM. If nothing else works, there is a "BLACK" setting on the FM which would eliminate the border if you turned it up a bit, but would probably also crush some blacks so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Anyone tried to hook up a Neo Geo mini on the Framemeister ? Does it work with scanlines added ?
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

HI guys just hooked mine up and my screen is tainted pink also no sound at all.

What could be causing this?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can be caused by a faulty EDID readout from your display. Disabling options like deep color support on the TVs side are supposed to fix both the color and audio issue. Certainly worth a try!
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

Fudoh wrote:Can be caused by a faulty EDID readout from your display. Disabling options like deep color support on the TVs side are supposed to fix both the color and audio issue. Certainly worth a try!

Have tried that and still no sound!

I just tried the composite in from Sega Saturn and that has sound.
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

BTW i bought the Euro Scart adaptor from retro Gaming Cables..

Is there else where perhaps thats why im having issues?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you get sound from one source, but not from your RGB one, then RGB audio source on the FM might be set to the RCA inputs on front instead of the MiniDIN input.
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

For some reason some of the games cause what seems to be a drop out. The screen will go blank (Black) for a second and then come back on.
This is with my Neo Geo AES console.

Im assuming its something in the TV settings perhaps?

Does anyone here use their NEO GEO aes on their framemeister and have this similar issue?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Should be gone if you increase the sync level setting on the FM.
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

Fudoh wrote:Should be gone if you increase the sync level setting on the FM.
its currently at 3.. I think the next option to choose is 10?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can usually increase it up to 15 and this should get rid of sync drops like those.
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

Fudoh wrote:You can usually increase it up to 15 and this should get rid of sync drops like those.

Ok thank you!!
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

cvaniafan wrote:Anyone tried the Neo Geo Mini on the Framemeister via the HDMI input ? How does it look with scanlines added ?

Bumping my question since the Neo Geo Mini has a poor quality native video output and no scanlines option ! :)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can't overlay scanlines on a 720p signal. You'd get 360 scanlines instead the 240 you want. And I don't think the NG Mini can output 480p, can it?
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

Fudoh wrote:You can't overlay scanlines on a 720p signal. You'd get 360 scanlines instead the 240 you want. And I don't think the NG Mini can output 480p, can it?
Thanks for your reply. I lack some knowledge about this topic, it's a bit complicated.
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

I got my 480p rbg scart cable from Retro gaming cables uk on Friday and I really like it so far . Still try to figure the best configeration for this Setup. Do you guys think that using the Settings used for the Toro Vga box would be decent starting Point?
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

/
Last edited by KevinPike on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

So I have just recently obtained an Framemeister, I have updated it to the recent firmware but haven't got around to configueing it yet. I have a 4K Sony AF9 OLED TV and mostly PAL consoles and games With exception of a 50/60 Hz modded Super Famicom and Sega Mega Drive. Most consoles is hooked up using RGB-cables. I might move either the Wii,Xbox or PS2 over to component just ti utilize the inputs of the FM, snd free up a slot on the coming gscartsw.

What I have picked up is that people mostly prefer having the Framemeister set at 720p for scan lines? I am all yours here folks. Every hint of help is appreciated for the most appropriere setup.
zombie343

Post by zombie343 »

I have 2 questions:

1.) I own the original gscartw (with VGA and Scart output), and gcompsw...can someone point me to the correct USA power supply to use for each one?

2.) I would like to feed Sega Naomi video output to XRGB mini. Does the gscartw do sync-combining? If yes, will any VGA-to-SCART cable > gscartw > XRGB-mini work in this configuration? If no, what are my options? (I have JVS and Capcom I/O boards to help this situation. But would like to avoid super guns because I want to connect this Naomi to the gscartw then Framemeister.

Thank you. I love your work!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

zombie343 wrote:Does the gscartw do sync-combining? ... If no, what are my options? (I have JVS and Capcom I/O boards to help this situation.
Did you mean to post this in superg's thread? :P

The gscartsw (any version, really) doesn't do sync combining, largely because it's a SCART switcher, and SCART has no facility for transmitting separate sync. You would need a different device, be it an Extron RGB interface with a BNC->SCART cable or a whatever-to-SCART cable with a built-in sync combiner.
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

Micomsoft are officially stopping production of the Framemeister at the end of june.
https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/1 ... 2367245312
If you plan to purchase a unit, go for it before they disappear from the market completely (or the price goes berserk!).
copy

Post by copy »

I hope they're working on a 4K successor.

By the way, I noticed there was a minor non-incremented update to the 2.04 firmware in March. The download page says: "Corrected errors in menu display. (March 15, 2019 postscript)." I guess they fixed a typo or something.

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini.html
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

If anyone is looking for one, I recently put mine up for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64774&p=1370015#p1370015

Comes CIB, with an additional high quality 8-pin DIN to SCART cable from retro-accessories. Highest quality cable on the market.
Midge_the_Mouse

Post by Midge_the_Mouse »

I can see it now all bastards on eBay will be using tags "rare" "vintage" "retro" "collectors item" for mega stupid money on second hand units
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

Are there any good PAL user profiles out there on the web?
K0rN b4LL

Post by K0rN b4LL »

They never did add a 1:1 HDMI passthrough did they?
aliensstudios

Post by aliensstudios »

K0rN b4LL wrote:They never did add a 1:1 HDMI passthrough did they?
They did at some point. I think it's called HDMI Direct in the settings. It works relatively well, but it will drop the PS4's picture from time to time unless you run it through an HDCP stripper first. To my knowledge no update ever fixed this. All the other HDMI sources I've put through it don't have that issue though.
GraphicNoise

Post by GraphicNoise »

Hi everybody, I'm back on the topic after almost 2 years of having fun with the Framemeister without any issues.

Sadly yesterday a really annoying one appeared though:
Although the XRGB isn't perfectly suited for that, I also used it for playing my PAL GameCube via RGB (COMP as SYNC by Retrogamingcables) as the quality you can get is still better than what my HDTV's internal upscaler produces.

For some reason since I turned it on yesterday after a longer break from playing the GameCube the Framemeister seems to have issues receiving 576i input - the image frequently drops out or gets distorted every 1-2 seconds, often with the audio dropping out as well. I switched off the auto sync to avoid additional dropouts caused by my HDTV getting a new signal every time and had a game and later on just the main menu running to play with the settings, but whatever I did didn't change anything.

I suspected the cable to be broken, but it worked perfectly when plugged into the HDTV directly, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Furthermore I also tried my PS2 over RGB (= also 576i) this morning (which I usually use via Component) with the exact same issue, so I suspect that the Framemeister might somehow be broken. I've tried my PS1 and Saturn to make sure it's not the Euro Scart to XRGB adapter as well and they ran perfectly fine.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue and might have a solution? Any help is appreciated.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

GraphicNoise wrote:Hi everybody, I'm back on the topic after almost 2 years of having fun with the Framemeister without any issues.

Sadly yesterday a really annoying one appeared though:
Although the XRGB isn't perfectly suited for that, I also used it for playing my PAL GameCube via RGB (COMP as SYNC by Retrogamingcables) as the quality you can get is still better than what my HDTV's internal upscaler produces.
Is the cable specifically designed for the PAL GameCube, with a 75ohm resistor to ground and 220uF capacitor on the Composite video line?