Post your flavor of the month VG music

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Post your flavor of the month VG music

Post by BIL »

^ Love Koumajou Densetsu II - I was thinking of its OST while revisiting Castlevania music for the tracknames thread. Pro-standard sidescroller with some formidable BGMs. Stage 2 / Style Of Bloody Destiny was always my favourite, it absolutely smoulders.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Syo0q6WGs
Amazing remix of "Trisection" from Final Fantasy Tactics. More tracks in this album:
https://materiacollective.bandcamp.com/ ... cs-remixed
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Put on the Omega Boost OST because I needed something to write to, and now I remember that just like the game, it fuckin HAWT. Jaggedly aggressive RIDDIM and almost Sabbathy grunge riffs accented by brutalised samples, punctuated by some judiciously cooling soundscapes. Calculatedly cacophonic. Thing's looped like six times already, zero fatigue. (I know music is good when it gets my fucking brutal ADD/procrastination combo under control - me fookin ears r ringin, ya coont!)

Big fan of the game itself but never really gave the soundtrack an independent spin until now. As usual it helps to have the moving pictures in your head, haha. SPARK OF DRUM's tube-sliding giant metal spider battle in particular. You can hear his claws grinding the walls showering you with sparks! Or is that he fookin br00tal charge blast? *BAOW*

IIRC, as was SCEA's wont there were a few Nu-Metal acts on the OST. IDGAF, actually less. Fortunately JP OST's missing 'em. I do know Feeder did the last boss BGM "Shade," which wasn't bad really. Fits the trippy upbeat mood of the battle. RIP liquid metal space butterfly, you had some moves.

THE ODD LIFE FORCE SWEET JESUS FUCK THAT A GOOD RIFF :shock: Image Image
A MEASURING WORM That howl, jebus. Bizarrely anthromorphosized the rusted-to-hell monster tank it's fought to amidst a wicked sandstorm.

SPARK OF DRUM RIP giant metal spider, VIPER BOOSTED you in your shit so hard you fucked.
ORBITAL FLIGHT Take my fuzz riff bust you pussy!
BETA BETA Take it again! I always heard the sample as "I WAS HUMAN." Which worked great fighting the rival red mech that uses this theme. He really wants to knock your fuckin block off! Good body language!
GROUND AND THE SKY Oh thanks, I needed to chill out. Automatically hearing the shriek of the heavy bomber attack before snapping its wings off with the almighty body ram. One of countless bosses it's unbelievably satisfying to VIPER BOOST into drifting scrap.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Old favourite Star Trader (X68k) OST. Ultimate painkilling grooves.

>The Logic Of Shooters
>Ugly Beauty (absolute stormer)
>Else

Big fuckin feels too!

>Visual Scene 1 / Start Demo Image
>Visual Scene 3 / Ending
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Dongolopticon

Post by Dongolopticon »

Death Ephemera

The OST isn't even available online, as far as I know. Best I could give is a gameplay link.
Stage 1 is my jam.
i am good at shup
BIL

Post by BIL »

Relistening to Siter Skain's Alltynex Trilogy OSTs while writing, and this old favourite jumped out like a motherfucker.

Husk / Zodiac Orphiuchus

Trademark Jirurun endgame, the sound of bleak victory. By even his keen standard, the synth-shrouded gallop is irresistibly furied and inescapably wounded. (edit: link fixed)
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://soundcloud.com/ocremix/13-poop- ... on-strader
Remix of the shit boss song from Conker's Bad Fur Day. Lovely. :lol:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

ISLANDS from Shin Contra.

Love this, one of my all-time fav music remixes. Headbanging everytime! :o
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SSLNUVahw

Kou Ogata is so amazing, great arrange.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmOWW9MN1BU

Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance - Successor of Fate (YM2612 Cover)
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCJs-ulByk

Gundemonium Recollection Arranged OST - Helft mir klagen
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Urban Reign - (2005) PS2 beat 'em up.

Never heard of the game but the rawk's purdy good.

Urban Reign OST - 01 - Intro; https://youtu.be/RToiGV8-4dg?list=PLGjX ... sAeNP&t=60

Full version of main theme; - 18 - "Finishing Touches"; https://youtu.be/GJpVmrRFwnU?list=PLGjX ... EyLKYsAeNP

- 08 - "Nowhere to Go", has that Beat'en up vibe going on; https://youtu.be/qO5GGOgpye4?list=PLGjX ... YsAeNP&t=2
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of my perennial long-players, Sakimoto/Iwata's Revolter OST for PC-88. The former's first soundtrack, AFAIK, and I suppose their first collaboration by default? It's an easy recommendation for fans of their later landmarks, either way. I know precious little of the game (STG, I think?), but as with their more aggressively offbeat, at times cataclysmically intense Starship Rendezvous, this is a work unto itself. Intro is a killer one/two of grand cosmic ambience unceremoniously crushed by monster hook, swiftly reconfigured for soldiering bass. Also Galaxy Force II-calibre slap attack @ 7m15s, stomping martial beat ala Gauntlet (MD) @ 11m02, immediately segued into sunny Salamander bounce @ 14m - straight into the sort of funk-neurotic meltdown exemplified by Rendezvous.

Should probably look up a tracklist but I like the oldschool prog one-track effect tbh!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Dragon Spirit Stage 1 Arrange in Smash Bros Ultimate!!

Also quite fond of this Cross Your Heart arrange. That climax at 2:10 is heavenly.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Been listening to the Air Duel soundtrack on my headphones a lot. It's a shame the game isn't particularly well known (or liked where it is known), if only because the music is some of the best from this special period in Irem's/HIYA's career (in which I'd include R-Type II and X-Multiply). There's a powerful depressive, paranoid creepiness to it that's belied by the game's bog-standard military exterior.

Stage 5
Boss
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh wow, that is a good deal more bloodcurdling than I'd have assumed from my casual screenshot perusals. Boss track is totally channeling the classic 'orrible R-Type Boss BGM! Stage 5 reminds me a bit of Dangerous Seed's OST, albeit vastly more developed - Seed is some good "creep rock," catchy and darkly spacey, but the loops are pretty short.

Was compelled to blast Geostorm's main theme afterward. Although it's nowhere as tuneful an OST as X-Multiply or Ninja Spirit, that fat riff gives the signature filthy M## tone a nice airing out. Dulled, rust-flecked chrome baking in the sun is what it always brings to mind (or perhaps old strings). Also, that balls-hard bass guitar sound. Tan-tan tan-tannn-tannn... It's deployed well in-game too, roaring back in for some choice setpieces, after soundtracking that one dude suplexing a missile out of his doomed heli onto your train!

---

Yet another brilliant MD hardware rip from Dustin O'Dell, King Colossus / Tougi Ou. Epic YM2612 fantasy in the vein of Gauntlet, Bad Omen and Master of Monsters. Although not quite as stunning as those Terpsichorean-driven monsters, it's certainly good enough to enter their orbit. Composer Kenichiro Isoda also worked on Crying/Biohazard Battle, making smart use of its unmistakable verminous thrum.

An Old Sad Dance
Southwest Cave / Luferia Castle (Hazardous Biology detected!)
Silent Fog / Staff Roll (outstanding phantasmal tones, here)

Didn't know this was a JP exclusive. tbh I don't know much about the game at all, other than its title and soundtrack. Boxart is pretty neat.
Spoiler
^ Manga Ahnuld kinda flubbed his pose with those knees, but I dig the detail and characters overall... and the back cover's scene of gladiatorial death from above is very cool!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Hell yeah, Geo Storm's soundtrack is fantastic. I know it's probably common knowledge that it's all originally from Air Duel, but I do love its heavier, more desperate-sounding take on the boss theme.

Currently playing the GOG version of Diablo and I'd completely forgotten how brilliant Matt Uelmen's work was on this game (outside the famous Tristram piece, like). The series is now largely filled with stock cinematic filler music that belies a dearth of influences outside of summer blockbuster pablum and other games, and it's sad to remember that in its first incarnation the music was so atypical, vibrant and promising.

Caves
Catacombs
wxrmhxle

Post by wxrmhxle »

Deadbolt's OST in general.

Particularly The Proverbial Dust Biters
issa oof
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://materiacollective.bandcamp.com/ ... fantasy-ix
A most excellent Final Fantasy IX remix album. Far more interesting than the OCRemix album, which was fine.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Klatrymadon wrote:I know it's probably common knowledge that it's all originally from Air Duel, but I do love its heavier, more desperate-sounding take on the boss theme.
Nice - I'd no idea. :o Then again I don't know much of Air Duel... no excuse these days, I know. :mrgreen:
Cool title! One for the evocative VGM tracknames thread.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Speaking of, had some stuff I wanted to dump in there...
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah same Image Got a lot of catching up to do!

edit: speaking of balls-hard bass, ho ho hoooly fuck! It's been a while and I forgot how good Rolling Thunder 2's OST gets. Ayako Saso got the funk.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BIL wrote:Yeah same Image Got a lot of catching up to do!

edit: speaking of balls-hard bass, ho ho hoooly fuck! It's been a while and I forgot how good Rolling Thunder 2's OST gets. Ayako Saso got the funk.
...and it was her professional debut, even (well, first complete OST). An eternal favourite for a certain type of summer day, indeed, with Where is the target? and The Final command being two songs that would have been far more appropriate for a Bond movie than any of the garbage used in the JB movie franchise over the decades. An exception would be Pizzicato Five's score for At Her Majesty's service's Japanese version, of course.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

I always liked RT3 alot as well. There's a whole bunch of goodies in there, but my favorites are the intro and ending theme.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com