NESRGB board available now

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cicada88

Re: NESRGB board available now

Post by cicada88 »

Does anyone have a good source on Nintendo AV Multiouts to use with this mod? retrofixes.com has them for $20 a piece, but I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. I wouldn't mind high quality 3D printed, but the ones I've seen are a bit of an eyesore in lighter color plastics.

Also which version would be recommended for installation in an NES toaster--SNES, GC, or N64 style? Goal would be to use the same exact cable for RGB on an NES toaster and a Super Famicom.

tl,dr; cheapest, easiest to install, "factory look" Nintendo Multiout source?
keropi

Post by keropi »

I noticed something on the page about how to add the de-jitter function to the older NESRGB boards:
Isolate the PPU pin 18 (clock) from the NESRGB board. I recommend cutting the small part of the pin off so it no longer makes contact with the socket. I DO NOT recommend bending the pin away from the socket at that causes the pin to fatigue and possibly break off. Solder a wire between the isolated PPU pin 18 and palette pad 2.
Shouldn't it read : "Solder a wire between the isolated PPU pin 18 and palette pad 3" instead since pad 3 is now the PPU clock output ?

I am debating doing the je-ditter mod or not... :mrgreen:
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

There are a few errors in his guide. On this previous page of this tread you can read how to do it right :)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

cicada88 wrote:Does anyone have a good source on Nintendo AV Multiouts to use with this mod? retrofixes.com has them for $20 a piece, but I was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. I wouldn't mind high quality 3D printed, but the ones I've seen are a bit of an eyesore in lighter color plastics.

Also which version would be recommended for installation in an NES toaster--SNES, GC, or N64 style? Goal would be to use the same exact cable for RGB on an NES toaster and a Super Famicom.

tl,dr; cheapest, easiest to install, "factory look" Nintendo Multiout source?
I looked into options when I did it and ended up with retrofixes.
Problem is that the cost of 3D printing the housing and then printing the PCB combined is going to be over $20 once you ship them. There isn't a big enough demand to do a injection molded part.
I have seen people take the real connector off a fully-dead donor n64. But then there's some creative soldering involved.
I believe that they are all the same on the three systems with the multiout, but the GameCube uses the separate digital out for component
Link83

Post by Link83 »

vol.2 wrote:I believe that they are all the same on the three systems with the multiout, but the GameCube uses the separate digital out for component
The actual part is slightly differently designed between the SNES, N64 and GC versions (GC version even has metal shielding) although IIRC the AV Famicom and SNES/SFC versions are the same.
Last edited by Link83 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Thanks vol.2 and Link :)

I'm starting to realize why this NESRGB mod is so expensive. You can literally buy an entire untested SNES or SFC console shipped for the same price they sell the salvaged av connector for. More work obviously, but you do get some spare parts to boot.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

cicada88 wrote:Thanks vol.2 and Link :)

I'm starting to realize why this NESRGB mod is so expensive. You can literally buy an entire untested SNES or SFC console shipped for the same price they sell the salvaged av connector for. More work obviously, but you do get some spare parts to boot.
Your best bet is probably asking in the 'wanted' sections on somewhere like the benheck or bitbuilt forums, which are mainly for people who portabalize consoles and trim the motherboards. Many years ago I bought a few N64 MULTI OUT ports from members there who had portabalized N64 consoles and had trimmed the motherboards. I'm not sure how active the scene is nowadays, but there's likely to be a few older members with spare parts still around.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

cicada88 wrote:Thanks vol.2 and Link :)

If you want to go with a factory connector, I have a multiout that I salvaged from a dead SNES years ago. Send me a PM if you're interested.
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

Hey guys, need a little help getting clarification on the NESRGB install.

The wiring diagram states Pin1 of CPU and Pin2 of CPU for the 2nd and 3rd pins from the left at the top of the board. How can I find and confirm which pins are pin 1 and pin 2 on the NES motherboard? Am I supposed to solder to the legs of of the CPU once I figure out which pin is which? It looks like wires are soldered to the CPU from the example picture but it too blury to tell.

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation- ... am-NES.pdf

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation- ... _large.jpg
Star1

Post by Star1 »

As seen in this image http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation- ... -wires.jpg the two wires going to AUXA_CPU1 and AUXB_CPU2 are cpu 1 and 2.
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

Thanks! Audio is working! I am getting garbled sprites in the games (like when your games are dirty but mine are not) I have a blinking light win and clean carts but not matter what I try some graphics look garbled. I tried different games and changing power supplies. I also noticed that I have the same problem even with the nesrgb board in the “off mode” when I am hooked up to composite.

I made sure all of the ppu pins are soldered in well.

The games play fine and the sound is fine it just seems that the character sprites are messed up.
Any ideas?
kynrek

Post by kynrek »

kynrek wrote:Thanks! Audio is working! I am getting garbled sprites in the games (like when your games are dirty but mine are not) I have a blinking light win and clean carts but not matter what I try some graphics look garbled. I tried different games and changing power supplies. I also noticed that I have the same problem even with the nesrgb board in the “off mode” when I am hooked up to composite.

I made sure all of the ppu pins are soldered in well.

The games play fine and the sound is fine it just seems that the character sprites are messed up.
Any ideas?

Someone else had the same symptoms on NES dev https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14045 and mine was the same problem flowed some more clean solder on all the PPU points and now it works great!
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

Hi guys,

i need you help, please. I have a PAL NES (i'm in Italy), modded in order to play both PAL A and PAL B games. I would like to mod it with RGB output, not only in order to have a better image on my crt, but also because this is the only way to use the NES with OSSC scaler on a lcd tv.

Here https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... path=60_61 Voultar can mod my console for 75$.
1) I suppose I have to choose FRONT LOADER mod, am I right? The TOP-LOADEr mod is for Famicom
2) I have to buy all the components here: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207. But i don't know if i have to buy all these:
2A) NESRGB kit (US Distributor) Price: AU$109.00
2B) NESRGB adapter board #1 (US distributor) or NESRGB adapter board #2 (US distributor) ???
2C) Cable set for NESRGB/2600RGB -- RGB SCART (US distributor) --> I want to connect my console via RGB SCART to my crt

Do I need something else?

3) Here I have to choose multiple options: https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=56 but i have some doubts, for example:
3A) Palette switch: what do you suggest to choose from the 3 options?
3B) Front Loader AV/Connector: what is it? I want to connect my NES with a RGB scart cable, so i need only the cable that i linked above on bullet 2C, am I right?

Does anyone modded the NES using Voultar? Does the NES work correctly both on a CRT and on a LCD screen? Do you use it with OSSC?

thank you very much for your help!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

legolas119 wrote:i need you help, please. I have a PAL NES (i'm in Italy), modded in order to play both PAL A and PAL B games. I would like to mod it with RGB output, not only in order to have a better image on my crt, but also because this is the only way to use the NES with OSSC scaler on a lcd tv.
The NESRGB is arguably the best way to use the NES with the OSSC (which is a line-multiplier, not a scaler), but it's not the only way. Other devices, like the RetroTINK 2X (paired with an HDMI to YPbPr component converter) and VGP's upcoming Koryuu, would allow you to take the composite video output from the NES and input it into the component input on the OSSC.

The RT2X can also be used by itself, connecting directly to your TV, but the best you're going to get is 480p; the OSSC would be able to get you 720p (line3x), 960p (line4x), 1080p (line5x), or 1200p (line5x), though, if your TV doesn't like the native refresh rate of the PAL NES, you're going to have to get either a Framemeister or get your console modded with a Hi-Def NES (to be used in lieu of the OSSC).
legolas119 wrote:Here https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... path=60_61 Voultar can mod my console for 75$.
That's how much the service costs; you would be responsible for shipping to and from the US, so you need to factor that into what you're spending.
legolas119 wrote:1) I suppose I have to choose FRONT LOADER mod, am I right? The TOP-LOADEr mod is for Famicom
Top loader refers to both the Famicom, the AV Famicom, and the NES-101 that was released in the US.
legolas119 wrote:2) I have to buy all the components here: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207. But i don't know if i have to buy all these:
2A) NESRGB kit (US Distributor) Price: AU$109.00
2B) NESRGB adapter board #1 (US distributor) or NESRGB adapter board #2 (US distributor) ???
2C) Cable set for NESRGB/2600RGB -- RGB SCART (US distributor) --> I want to connect my console via RGB SCART to my crt
3) Here I have to choose multiple options: https://voultar.com/index.php?route=pro ... duct_id=56 but i have some doubts, for example:
3A) Palette switch: what do you suggest to choose from the 3 options?
3B) Front Loader AV/Connector: what is it? I want to connect my NES with a RGB scart cable, so i need only the cable that i linked above on bullet 2C, am I right?
Addressing point 2, if you look at the product page for the NESRGB kit itself, there's a dropdown towards the bottom where you select which console you're going to fit the NESRGB to, and, if it's anything other than a front-loader, there's an additional charge for adapters. Since you have a front-loader, there's no need for an additional adapter.

Addressing point 3, it's entirely up to your personal preference. If you don't want a gaudy switch fitted to your console, you can opt for a fixed palette, or you can pay the $40 upcharge for Voultar's IGR board, which seems to let you reset the console and switch palettes using button combinations on the controller.

The AV connector selection determines whether you end up using the 8-pin DIN supplied with the NESRGB kit, which means you need the 8-pin DIN to SCART cable from Tim Worthington's online shop, or, for $50 more, you can get a Nintendo AV Multi-out fitted (which is what's pictured on Voultar's product page for the installation service), which lets you use off-the-shelf SNES SCART cables (though you will still want to follow the cable recommendation that's on Voultar's product page).
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

many thanks! So, I try to recap:

1) Alternative solution to NESRGB Front-Loader (really expensive if i consider shipping cost and additional components):
1A) RetroTink 2x: i read that it is good. Currently my NES is modded and I'm using the component output with a SCART connection: so, what i need in addition to RetroTink 2x in order to connect the console to OSSC? This solution is good but it can only manage signal to 480p: it means that in my fullHD lcd or in a 4K tv, the signal will not so good, am I right?
1B) Koryuu Composite & S-Video to Component Converter: is it better than RetroTink? Do you know if it will be able to get 720p or 1080p?
1C) Hi-Res mod with Voultar: with this mod i can directly use the NES on my fullHD tv withour OSSC. But is it better to use OSSC in order to have a good picture, really close to a crt effect? Or is this mod good as the OSSC filters?

2) NES RGB Front-Loader: if i'm not wrong, in this page http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203 i should buy only these 2 items: NES RGB Kit and Cable set for NESRGB/2600RGB -- RGB SCART. Correct?

Thank you!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

legolas119 wrote:1A) RetroTink 2x: i read that it is good. Currently my NES is modded and I'm using the component output with a SCART connection: so, what i need in addition to RetroTink 2x in order to connect the console to OSSC? This solution is good but it can only manage signal to 480p: it means that in my fullHD lcd or in a 4K tv, the signal will not so good, am I right?
You are using composite output (single yellow RCA Cable), not component (Green+Blue+Red); the only time you'll be using component output is if you already have a NESRGB with the component video addon board installed.
legolas119 wrote:1B) Koryuu Composite & S-Video to Component Converter: is it better than RetroTink? Do you know if it will be able to get 720p or 1080p?
First, the Koryuu hasn't been released yet. Secondly, it serves a different purpose than the RT2X. The RT2X is intended to allow people with consoles that are limited to composite (like the NES), S-Video (like the N64 and NTSC GameCube) and SD-only YPbPr component (any console that can output RGB and is supported by HD Retrovision's cables, like SNES, Genesis/MD, PS1) outputs to be simply used with a contemporary, HDMI-only TV.

The Koryuu, on the other hand, is intended to be a simple decoder that takes composite and S-Video sources and decodes them to YPbPr component, without changing the resolution or framerate, which can be routed into AV2 on the OSSC, as opposed to the route most people take with the RT2X, which is to add an active HDMI to YPbPr component converter to convert the HDMI output to YPbPr for use with AV2 on the OSSC.

The Koryuu arguably pairs better with the OSSC, because it decodes straight to YPbPr, rather than needing a secondary device to convert HDMI to YPbPr.
legolas119 wrote:1C) Hi-Res mod with Voultar: with this mod i can directly use the NES on my fullHD tv withour OSSC. But is it better to use OSSC in order to have a good picture, really close to a crt effect? Or is this mod good as the OSSC filters?
I don't recall what kind of scanline features the Hi-Def NES offers (feels more like a gimmick to me than anything). I do know you can get some neat grid scanlines with the OSSC that I don't think you can get with the Hi-Def NES. Like with the RT2X and the Koryuu, one is not necessarily better than the other, just different. The Hi-Def NES is going to get you a crisper image, digital from console to display (rather than digital to analogue to digital), that will readily work with any HDMI television with less equipment than a NESRGB would.
legolas119 wrote:2) NES RGB Front-Loader: if i'm not wrong, in this page http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203 i should buy only these 2 items: NES RGB Kit and Cable set for NESRGB/2600RGB -- RGB SCART. Correct?
You need at least the NESRGB kit. Whether or not you get that cable depends on whether you want to use the 8-pin DIN or if you want to have a Nintendo AV Multi-out fitted, which I explained in my previous post.
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

thanks.
I think that I will wait the Koryuu converter, it should be a not so expensive solution and it could be able to use OSSC also with highter resolution thant 480p...I hope...

Voultar said that they manage order only from USA...so I can't use their mod in any case...
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

legolas119 wrote:I think that I will wait the Koryuu converter, it should be a not so expensive solution and it could be able to use OSSC also with highter resolution thant 480p...I hope...
If the quality of VGP's other products is any indication, I expect the Koryuu to be good, but make sure that your expectations are set correctly; whatever problems composite video suffers from (blurriness, shimmering, color issues) will still be present and will be exacerbated when scaled up on a large display. I don't know precisely what tricks the Koryuu might have, if any, but I expect it won't eliminate these problems, but you might be able to at least partly mask some of these issues with the OSSC's scanline functionality.

If you get a Koryuu, and the resulting picture doesn't bother you, great; it'll be a minor expense (compared to other options) to get your NES working on your TV. If it really bothers you, and the NES is important to you or you expect to invest a lot of time into NES games, then I would seriously consider looking into a NESRGB or Hi-Def NES. You might not be able to have your console worked on by voultar, but there should be plenty of capable modders available in the EU.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

vol.2 wrote:I looked into options when I did it and ended up with retrofixes.
Problem is that the cost of 3D printing the housing and then printing the PCB combined is going to be over $20 once you ship them. There isn't a big enough demand to do a injection molded part.
I have seen people take the real connector off a fully-dead donor n64. But then there's some creative soldering involved.
I believe that they are all the same on the three systems with the multiout, but the GameCube uses the separate digital out for component
trp-retromods.ca has them for $5 CAD for the PCB (hard gold with beveled edge) and $5 CAD for the plastic housing, either board-mount (as a drop-in replacement) or panel mount (for modding projects), including the screw and the headers.

It's not factory-look, though, it's home 3D printed, but for that price, and considering that he's got the PCB and 3D models up for download to make yourself, it's hard to complain.

I'm going to grab one and build an adapter for the NESRGB 8-pin to SNES socket to use an HDRV cable (because I don't want to do more cutting at the moment).

EDIT: It turns out that those prices are all USD, despite both the store and I being in Quebec, Canada.
Last edited by Guspaz on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabthegnome

Post by Fabthegnome »

Hello, here's hoping you'll be able to offer some advice.

I'm having some trouble with a RGB Famicom AV I purchased.

Initially everything worked as expected, but after some time the console will lock up, attempting to power the console off/on will just result in a blank screen.

I'm able to resolve the issue by re-seating the nesrgb board, but again, the console locks up shortly after.

It can take about several hours for the console to lock up, but this is after replacing the power regulator, before it would take just minutes until the console locked.

This leads me to believe it could be heat related, but I'm perplexed how/why re-seating the daughter board resolves the issue. (for a time)

Oh, and I made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gyvsLNqjE showing the issue. (skip to the 2:10 mark to see the console boot)
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Fabthegnome wrote:Hello, here's hoping you'll be able to offer some advice.

I'm having some trouble with a RGB Famicom AV I purchased.

Initially everything worked as expected, but after some time the console will lock up, attempting to power the console off/on will just result in a blank screen.

I'm able to resolve the issue by re-seating the nesrgb board, but again, the console locks up shortly after.

It can take about several hours for the console to lock up, but this is after replacing the power regulator, before it would take just minutes until the console locked.

This leads me to believe it could be heat related, but I'm perplexed how/why re-seating the daughter board resolves the issue. (for a time)

Oh, and I made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gyvsLNqjE showing the issue. (skip to the 2:10 mark to see the console boot)
What happens if you press the reset button when it locks up?
legolas119

Post by legolas119 »

nmalinoski wrote:
legolas119 wrote:I think that I will wait the Koryuu converter, it should be a not so expensive solution and it could be able to use OSSC also with highter resolution thant 480p...I hope...
If the quality of VGP's other products is any indication, I expect the Koryuu to be good, but make sure that your expectations are set correctly; whatever problems composite video suffers from (blurriness, shimmering, color issues) will still be present and will be exacerbated when scaled up on a large display. I don't know precisely what tricks the Koryuu might have, if any, but I expect it won't eliminate these problems, but you might be able to at least partly mask some of these issues with the OSSC's scanline functionality.

If you get a Koryuu, and the resulting picture doesn't bother you, great; it'll be a minor expense (compared to other options) to get your NES working on your TV. If it really bothers you, and the NES is important to you or you expect to invest a lot of time into NES games, then I would seriously consider looking into a NESRGB or Hi-Def NES. You might not be able to have your console worked on by voultar, but there should be plenty of capable modders available in the EU.
I have understood.. thanks. It's really hard to find a modder in EU for the NESRGB.. :(
Fabthegnome

Post by Fabthegnome »

Link83 wrote:What happens if you press the reset button when it locks up?
I've tested this and it's the same behaviour, blank screen, with no audio.

But the OSSC will detect RGBS 262p 15.74kHz 60.08Hz coming out of the console when powered, even if nothing appears on screen.

Tomorrow I'll be sure to take some detailed photos of the install too if there's time, but from what I can tell, it's a clean install, I had one of the recommended installers from game-tech do the work, and he even had it back from me for testing. (unfortunately, he couldn't replicate the fault, but did comment on the console running hot, thus the regulator being installed.)

I'm running the console through a gscartsw to a BVM and OSSC, but even running direct to either, the console still freezes up.

EDIT I decided to wait about 90 minutes last time the console locked up, and indeed the console successfully booted, I'll continue to test and gather more info, but this surely points to a thermal issue?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Fabthegnome wrote:
Link83 wrote:What happens if you press the reset button when it locks up?
I've tested this and it's the same behaviour, blank screen, with no audio.

But the OSSC will detect RGBS 262p 15.74kHz 60.08Hz coming out of the console when powered, even if nothing appears on screen.

Tomorrow I'll be sure to take some detailed photos of the install too if there's time, but from what I can tell, it's a clean install, I had one of the recommended installers from game-tech do the work, and he even had it back from me for testing. (unfortunately, he couldn't replicate the fault, but did comment on the console running hot, thus the regulator being installed.)

I'm running the console through a gscartsw to a BVM and OSSC, but even running direct to either, the console still freezes up.

EDIT I decided to wait about 90 minutes last time the console locked up, and indeed the console successfully booted, I'll continue to test and gather more info, but this surely points to a thermal issue?
Well if your cartridge connector is clean then other things to consider are the power supply (Try swapping PSU's to rule it out) or failing capacitors.

For example, there is a capacitor on the AV Famicom's reset switch line which has been known to fail and cause black screens, details can be found in this thread. Whilst your system doesn't seem to have exactly the same symptoms, it could be worth checking (and perhaps even consider a full recap)

Oh and was the Q1 transistor removed when the NESRGB was installed?
Fabthegnome

Post by Fabthegnome »

Thank you for the advice, I've cleaned out the cartridge slot and can't report any sort of issues starting a game when switching cartridges.

I've tried different power supplies, but unfortunately results are just the same.

I did take a look and the Q1 transistor is still present.

Oh, and as promised here's a photo of the install.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Fabthegnome wrote:Thank you for the advice, I've cleaned out the cartridge slot and can't report any sort of issues starting a game when switching cartridges.

I've tried different power supplies, but unfortunately results are just the same.

I did take a look and the Q1 transistor is still present.

Oh, and as promised here's a photo of the install.
I didn't think the AV Famicom needed the separate NESRGB Voltage Regulator board, since it has a large enough heatsink for the stock 7805? I would be tempted to remove that board and if necessary replace the motherboards stock 7805 with a 78S05 instead.

Also it looks like you have the HVCN-CPU-01 motherboard, so i'm guessing capacitor C14 is 1uF? If so you could try replacing it with 47uF, as thats what Nintendo used on later board revisions. To be honest a full recap is probably easiest, since the AV Famicom only has six electrolytic capacitors in total, and its the first thing I would try just so I could rule out failing capacitors as the cause of the issue.
Fabthegnome

Post by Fabthegnome »

Thanks again for answering so promptly. : ]

I believe the installer fitted the nesrgb voltage regulator along with replacing the original regulator as it was running too hot.

Indeed, I think a full recap would be the next best course of action, I'll discuss this with the installer.

EDIT I've done further testing, leaving the unit powered off for 1-2 hours did nothing this time, it's so inconsistent.
The only repeatable solution I've found is still to wiggle/re-seat the nesrgb board around.
keropi

Post by keropi »

Konsolkongen wrote:There are a few errors in his guide. On this previous page of this tread you can read how to do it right :)
Thanks for that - I had no idea! Appreciated!
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 »

Good Morning,

I'm hoping someone has an idea what my issue may be. I installed yesterday a NES RGB kit on my front loader. Picture is gorgeous except for one thing. I will post links to videos on what I am talking about. I noticed when I began testing with Mario Bros that when moving certain object display a streak of lines on the right side. It's not a huge problem but enough for me to notice. Problem is I don't remember if this console was already displaying these streaks before the mod and I just never noticed. I rechecked my work and all seemed ok.

Only issue I had was when taking out the PPU it took me quite awhile even though I was using a desoldering tool. One pin would not give no matter what I did. Finally part of the pin snapped but I had enough to make contact with that pin when soldering it on the NES RGB board. Aside from that no other problems.

Ignore what appears to be a noisy picture. I don't have a way to do video capture. See what I am talking about around the edges on the right side of things as I move. I also tried to capture this taking pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53947MJe9v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFD8UDKLovY

I circled on the pics below the streaks I am referring to. Obviously Nothing else in that picture can be seen by the eye. Sorry for the huge pics. Tried reducing size and it created a ton of additional lines that weren't there.

Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Is this an LCD-tv? Many VA type panels have this slight trail after moving objects. Depends heavily on the colors of the object and the background how visible this is.