Rolling Gunner (Switch)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GSK

Re: Rolling Gunner (Switch)

Post by GSK »

guigui wrote:
GSK wrote:
kid aphex wrote:Has anyone heard rumor of a physical copy?
The overseas publisher Mastiff has already announced a physical version, it'll be released later in the year, US and EU.
Cannot find the news on Mastiff site. Cannot find many infos on games they released btw, do you have a link to the announcment ?
It was written on their press release: https://mailchi.mp/28aa19fa76e3/rolling ... ch-june-20

"A physical edition of Rolling Gunner is also planned for release in late 2019."

Mastiff's a publisher that's been around for a while but they haven't brought over much that anybody here would care about... Technic Beat, Gurumin, one of the Gungrave games and lots of shovelware.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Trying to sum up the hyper system, as well as scoring elements.

GREEN HYPER
* Collect medals to fill the main counter. Kill popcorn with shot, and big enemies with laser to gain more medals. You also gain more medals the closer you are to enemies.
* When the main counter reaches 1000, you can trigger the green hyper
* When you trigger the green hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a decent number of invincibility frames.
* During green hyper, your shot/laser power increases, and enemies shot faster

RED HYPER
* Collect medals during green hyper to increase the central red gauge around your ship
* When the central red gauge reaches 10% of its max, you can trigger the red hyper
* When you trigger the red hyper, you get a screen cancel, and a very low number of invincibility frames, do not even count on it.
* During red hyper, your shot/laser power increases greatly, and enemies shot very faster/bigger, bad guys.
* Hyper refill is teh sh*t : right before the red hyper finishes, destroy a big enemy, or a bunch of popcorn, so that the screen fills with medals. Let the red hyper finish, then collect the medals. If you get enough of them onscreen, here you are ready to green hyper again.

SUBCOUNTER (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, small counter on the bottom left counter)
* subcounter increases with each medal grabbed
* subcounter increases twice as fast while in Green or Red hyper
* subcounter decreases by 50% when the current hyper ends (not when you go from Green to Red)
* subcounter maxes at 10000
* During Green hyper : subcounter value is added to the score gained by each medal.
* During Red hyper : 2*subcounter is added. This is one of the biggest source of points in the game since each medal normally gives a maximum of 1000 points ; but with subcounter maxed at 10000 and red hyper, each medals is 21000 points. One can get about 50 millions points on stage 1 boss this way, see video courtesy of stanshall on this very forum : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI05nsn ... e=youtu.be

RANK/MULTIPLIER : (scoring system, Original or Expert modes only, top counters)
* little green rank counter increases with each medal grabbed during hypers
* once it reaches 10000, it is reset to 0 and you gain 0.1 rank.
* the base multiplier is 1, to which is added your current rank. So 1.3 rank means x2.3 multiplier to all score gained
* rank makes game harder : faster bullets, more bullets. It can make some parts quite hard, but the difficulty increase is nowhere near as noticeable as in Garegga though.
* rank decreases by 0.1 when you autobomb, by 0.2 when you bomb, by 0.3 when you die (and so does the multiplier)
* the multiplier is the other big source of points in the game, it can quite easily reach x3 by stage 5 or such if no-miss-no-bomb up to here.
Last edited by guigui on Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Spoiler
The true final boss has a death scene when you defeat it, huh? And a very awesome and satisfying one to boot, too.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Finally was able to pick this up (the NIS sale screwed with my game budget in a major way). Despite a couple rough edges, it's hard to believe it's an indie. Initially, I thought the option aiming was awkward, but I kinda/sorta got the hang of it. I'm good with the fast ship (and can consistently no miss the first stage with it), okay with the medium ship, and laughably bad with the slow.

I think it's because I can reposition the option the quickest with the fast ship, since I pretty much constantly use the locked shot. The problem I have with the free aim shot (the trigger) is that the game throws so much precision dodging at you, so early and often, most the time when I try to use the free aim shot my option is swinging all over the goddamn place except where I need it to be. It almost seems like a design hiccup or oversight, but maybe it's purpose will become more clear to me as I progress.

They did a really good job with the sound. The sound effects--especially for things like mowing down a wave of popcorns--make things feel really fun and satisfying.

Anyway, I've only put less than an hour into it, so I'm not going to give any sort of verdict. But so far, it's been successful in luring me away from Radirgy S which is a feat unto itself.
guigui

Post by guigui »

For sure this game is awesome, definitely a good Cave alternative these days.

As for option positioning, you're supposed to kill popcorn with shot (trigger, free option) and bigger ennemies with laser (fixed option), because it makes more medals appear. So the whole option thing is to aim it at popcorn by moving, then fix it at bigger guys correctly. Makes a lot of sense in later stages.

I could dig the game quite a lot recently and make it consistently to stage 6 boss, nowhere clse to a clear though.

Anyone also playing this to share scores and tips ? Current best on Original is 700M for me.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Any word on the physical release of this game?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

xxx1993 wrote:Any word on the physical release of this game?
Top of this page...
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Well, if it's late 2019, I hope it isn't too late. And I hope it isn't limited either.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Come on No one playing this game ? I got the 1CC, though without triggering the TLB which requires rank 15 at least, and I'm really enjoying scoring it.
Any player ? Any high score thread ?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I thought the game had an easy TLB condition, just don’t continue... Or does that only apply to Novice Mode?
guigui

Post by guigui »

There are other conditions, I was wrong last time I replied to you. As far as I know :

Novice : beat stage 6 boss without continuing.
Casual : beat stage 6 boss without continuing.
Original : beat stage 6 boss without continuing, and with rank 15 at least.
Expert : beat stage 6 boss without continuing, and with rank 15 at least.

Here is a run of Original which does not trigger the TLB :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uQWtUYamtA

And a run of Expert, True ALL, impressive. Though to be honest the fight agains the TLB is just a question of how many bombs you have left and how lucky you are on the last pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsERoTjed48
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Because I watched Serraxor’s review of the Switch version, he said the Novice Mode has an easy TLB run. So the extra conditions only apply to the Original and Expert Modes?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Yes, rank 15 condition is for Orignal or Expert only, as in post above.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Good. I don't know how I'd be able to fill in those ranks anyway.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Rank increase while you're in hyper : 10k medals gotten during your hyper make it increase by 1. So, to increase rank : use hypers as often as possible and gain as much medals possible during them. Also do not autobomb, bomb, or loose a life since it decreases rank by, respectively, 1,2 and 3. Easy ?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

And I'm not supposed to use a continue on the final boss, right? I can lose a life or two, though, right?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Hmm, it depends on how many hypers you use. Losing a life make you loose 3 ranks, and you need to kill the stage 6 boss with rank 15. So yes, you can loose a life or too, but spending all your bombs and lifes is out question.

For instance, this is the best run I could achieve as of now in terms of rank :
Clear stage 1 : rank 4
Clear stage 2 : rank 8
Clear stage 3 : rank 15
Clear stage 4 : rank 19 (bomb, autobomb, death on boss here, 6 ranks lost)
Clear stage 5 : rank 23 (same as stage 4)
Clear stage 5 : rank 0 (see what happened here ??)

So yes, triggering the TLB in Original is hard. Weirdly, it may be easier in Expert, because enemies drop more medals, so more hypers, so more rank.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I'm talking about Casual or Novice Modes. I can lose lives against the Stage 6 boss is what I meant.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Novice or Casual you can loose as many lives as you want, just dont continue. Novice and Casual are quite easy to 1 life clear, I could almost no miss no bomb Novice once.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Come on No one playing this game ?
I'm playing. But I have to admit, I'm having some serious problems getting into it.

A good portion of that is coming down to my initial issue I described above. The game's raison d'être, it's moniker, the rolling gun, is something that requires a certain amount movement freedom to operate. Yet, the game seems obsessed with making you weave through tight bullet patterns, giving you no freedom of movement, and rendering it's moniker pretty much useless.

It's almost like the game was put together by two different people that really needed to have a conversation with each other, as it almost feels like the gameplay is one giant miscommunication.

I've attempted to play as you instructed, using the free shot to mow down popcorns. But it seems I'm only ever able to do this for three second intervals before I'm in the middle of another bullet curtain, and have to switch back to fixed shot in order to hit anything.

And the problem with playing with the fixed shot pretty much exclusively is that it's not real interesting.

Maybe I'll break my "don't watch any videos until scoring a 1cc by myself" rule (I do this so I'm forced to figure things out for myself and forge my own path), and hit youtube to see if there's something I'm missing. I mean, it's called "Rolling Gunner" I wanna use the rolling gun for christsakes!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I only intend on playing on Novice and Casual anyway. Hey, at least the true final boss gets an awesome death scene once you defeat it.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I’ve had this for PC for a few months but it chugs hard on my laptop. Really want to give it a proper run when I’ve got something better to run it on, though.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
guigui

Post by guigui »

^ Looks like the Switch is the shmup system this generation.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

How's the progressing going on this one? I picked the game up again today and figured out survival solutions for the second half of stage 3 just by playing a bunch of credits without continuing. Did a lttle practice in training here and there but mostly enjoy playing credits.

guigui mentioned getting a clear, which is pretty impressive especially considering that I haven't seen a video posted on the internet yet of a clear of original mode. Anyone else get a clear of original mode?
guigui

Post by guigui »

There are videos of Original and Expert clear on YT.

Unlike many games, I found the Casual mode helped me quite a bit here. Even though enemies do not have their Original pattern, you at least learn their position and how to deal with them quickly. Do not play Novice for too long though, because your shot deals more damage and you'll learn bad habits.
As for general tips on how to progress toward Original clear :
* use your bombs
* do not autobomb
* use your hypers
* do not autobomb during green hyper, use red hyper instead
* practice the bosses
* do not autobomb
* use your bombs

Stage wise :
* Stage 3 is a b***h with those turrets minibosses, use your bombs.
* Stage 4 descending part may be hard, stick to the left and do not move too much.
* Stage 4 midboss drops an extend if you kill him without bombing
* Stage 5 is quite easy, except the midboss, use your bombs
* Stage 6 is nice, do you have bombs left ?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Does stage 4's extend work if you hyper, or does that still count as a bomb? I triggered it once but couldn't remember how I did it.
guigui

Post by guigui »

You can hyper, does not count as a bomb. Only bombing or autobombing cancels the extend.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

guigui wrote:There are videos of Original and Expert clear on YT.

Unlike many games, I found the Casual mode helped me quite a bit here. Even though enemies do not have their Original pattern, you at least learn their position and how to deal with them quickly. Do not play Novice for too long though, because your shot deals more damage and you'll learn bad habits.
As for general tips on how to progress toward Original clear :
* use your bombs
* do not autobomb
* use your hypers
* do not autobomb during green hyper, use red hyper instead
* practice the bosses
* do not autobomb
* use your bombs

Stage wise :
* Stage 3 is a b***h with those turrets minibosses, use your bombs.
* Stage 4 descending part may be hard, stick to the left and do not move too much.
* Stage 4 midboss drops an extend if you kill him without bombing
* Stage 5 is quite easy, except the midboss, use your bombs
* Stage 6 is nice, do you have bombs left ?
Stage 3 has been fine so far. Don't need any bombs for this one. Those miniboss patterns can mostly be macrodoged. I haven't seen stage 4 much so I don't really have any solutions for that stage yet. Mostly still dodging reactively on that one. I think I'll be able to get a clear on Original. Just not sure how hard the later stages are yet. I'll keep these tips in mind.
guigui

Post by guigui »

You're right that macrododging turrets minibosses in stage 3 is the solution. The second one can also give an easy hyper refill which fits nicely the end of the stage.

As for the difficulty, stage 6 is tough, and long. The only times I could clear the game was when I did not loose too many bombs via autobombs ; and then stage 6 was a bombfest.
This is not good though, because the TLB only appears if you beat stage 6 boss with a rank of at least 15 (and without continuing ofc). Since bombing makes you loose 2 ranks, I killed stage 6 boss with rank 0, nowhere close to the TLB appearance.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

guigui wrote:You're right that macrododging turrets minibosses in stage 3 is the solution. The second one can also give an easy hyper refill which fits nicely the end of the stage.

As for the difficulty, stage 6 is tough, and long. The only times I could clear the game was when I did not loose too many bombs via autobombs ; and then stage 6 was a bombfest.
This is not good though, because the TLB only appears if you beat stage 6 boss with a rank of at least 15 (and without continuing ofc). Since bombing makes you loose 2 ranks, I killed stage 6 boss with rank 0, nowhere close to the TLB appearance.
What is a hyper-refill? I'm not 100% solid on how the hypers work. What I noticed so far:

* Shooting popcorn enemies with shot increases medals faster. When you reach 1000 you get access to the first hyper
* Activating hyper seems to cancel bullets into medals.
* If I've activated the first hyper sometimes I can activate a second hyper which will increase bullet speed but also increase the size of the medals.

Activating the second hyper doesn't always work so I'm not really sure what the conditions are. I also have no idea what the second smaller number is under the first larger number.