Joystick for Shmups on Nintendo Switch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shelcoof

Re: Joystick for Shmups on Nintendo Switch

Post by Shelcoof »

FRO wrote:
I'm thinking more for older retro stuff, i.e. PlayStation, Saturn, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx, etc. I know that if I built a custom stick with the Brooks fighting board, and married it with the retro board, I can buy RJ45 plug converters for many older consoles, and I can get a lot of mileage out of that. The up front expense of the parts to build it, however, is the sticking point (pun intended) for me. Just a good stick body can be pricey, if I want to get something that's already cut, molded, and has the holes I need for stick and buttons. I don't really have tools to do the work myself, so I need something that's already kind of plug and play. I might look into the Brooks PS2 and DC converters, though, to see what they would set me back. That might be worth looking into for an interim solution.
I'll tell you I went that route a few years back of wanting a universal Joystick and I didn't get very far. I had issues at the time sourcing one of those universal PCBs and finding RJ connectors for each console. Most of the stuff was out of stock at the time.

So I improvised and went with what was best for me at the time. I had several arcade joysticks for the Xbox 360 and PS3 which I gutted and used for cases.

I pad hacked my Sega Saturn pad and gutted my HRAP SA. Now I have a Saturn Joystick :)

Dreamcast had some really good converters like the Innovation and Total Control 3.

Unfortunately for the PS2 I had to buy a Hori Arcana Heart stick because I failed at pad hacking a PS2 controller :(
Then realizing that I wasn't able to mount an LS-32 in it :(
So I gutted the PCB and installed it in one of my PS3 I sacrificed.
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

I need a stick. Trying to play Raider on the joycons was a joke. Soooo hard!
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Last week I got and installed this dpad cap https://skullnco.com/collections/switch ... button-cap to my switch joycon "dpad" and thus far it's made using joycon "dpad" much more enjoyable in shmups (it's not same as real dpad in feel, but much much better than using the separate buttons as dpad or using analog stick in shmups, which aren't designed for it). It doesn't cost much and has free worldwide shipping too. ps. I also got the grip case from them, which is great too.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Does anyone know if there is an adapter to take a wired USB controller and have it go to bluetooth? I really like my modded F300 but bluetooth definitely has less delay on the Switch than its USB ports. I don't want to buy and mod another stick, would like to be able to just use my F300.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

GFoyle wrote:Last week I got and installed this dpad cap https://skullnco.com/collections/switch ... button-cap to my switch joycon "dpad" and thus far it's made using joycon "dpad" much more enjoyable in shmups (it's not same as real dpad in feel, but much much better than using the separate buttons as dpad or using analog stick in shmups, which aren't designed for it). It doesn't cost much and has free worldwide shipping too. ps. I also got the grip case from them, which is great too.
Might consider getting this, I've already tried a similar kit from ebay ( arrived from China ) and the result was pretty bad, I think it somehow made the D-pad usability worse. Ended up going in the bin shortly after I got it.

As for an arcade stick solution for the Switch.... I use a Hori RAP 4 with the Mayflash Switch converter and it works great. Also use the same stick on PS2 with a Brook converter and soon will get a Dreamcast one too. Hopefully they release a Saturn one later on as well. I like having the same stick and being able to use it on PC, PS4,PS3,PS2, Switch, Dreamcast etc.. The Brook adapters aren't cheap but it saves me having multiple arcade sticks for different platforms.
Mark_MSX

Post by Mark_MSX »

I think there are many viable options, so you don't have to get the Brooks Ultimate board.

However, if you are curious about it, I can give some feedback on the product.

So when I bought the Brooks Ultimate board, I purchased it with some skepticism. Being a multi-console board, I figured it would be laggy and temperamental. However, I am happy to say that this is not the case. The Brooks board has the same input lag as the Hori 360 stick (the really fast one) and has a bunch of great usability options like being able to manually select which type of input you want by holding a button when you plug it in. In addition to the Switch, I've found it to be extremely useful and I definitely recommend it to anyone interested. Having all the input options really comes in handy, even on PC where certain indie games only accept X-input and certain JPN indie games only accept D-input.