gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
H6rdc0re

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by H6rdc0re »

ldeveraux wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote: Fidde SE made me a special Scart cable with a switch. Works absolutely fantastic.
Who's that? Is there a link?
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cabl ... xyaRZR2X4C
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

moltomolto wrote:These are the sync specs:

Sync
Input type RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs
Output type RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB
Input level 2 V to 5.5 Vp-p with ±0.2 VDC offset max.
Output level TTL: 4V to 5V p-p, unterminated
Input impedance 510 ohms
Output impedance 75 ohms
Max. propagation delay 85 ns
Max. rise/fall time 2 ns
Polarity RGBHV: tracks polarity (or force negative sync via internal jumper)
RGBS, RGsB: negative

How exactly should my cable be wired based on this?
Bump. Can anyone help me out? All of this is very confusing for me so I’d really appreciate if any experts could clarify. Do I need my cable re-wired for TTL?
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: As an aside, I also didn't realize there were no LED to indicate which port was active, which the Bandridge has. Also no way to manually select port, also available on the other unit. I hate to say it, but with no difference in sync time, and limited quality bump, I feel like the Bandridge has the leg up...
Please don't tell me you didn't know what you're purchasing. :)
Signal quality is the most important thing. I can hardly come up with a setup where I would want to know the active port number. BTW both active port number and manual port selection can be implemented easily using EXT connector. But guess what - nobody wants it.
superg

Post by superg »

moltomolto wrote: Bump. Can anyone help me out? All of this is very confusing for me so I’d really appreciate if any experts could clarify. Do I need my cable re-wired for TTL?
I'm sorry I can't help you much with Extron. Maybe somebody with a similar setup can chime in.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

H6rdc0re wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote: Fidde SE made me a special Scart cable with a switch. Works absolutely fantastic.
Who's that? Is there a link?
Here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scart-RGB-Cabl ... xyaRZR2X4C
I have the TGCD dock, so I can't use that.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: As an aside, I also didn't realize there were no LED to indicate which port was active, which the Bandridge has. Also no way to manually select port, also available on the other unit. I hate to say it, but with no difference in sync time, and limited quality bump, I feel like the Bandridge has the leg up...
Please don't tell me you didn't know what you're purchasing. :)
Signal quality is the most important thing. I can hardly come up with a setup where I would want to know the active port number. BTW both active port number and manual port selection can be implemented easily using EXT connector. But guess what - nobody wants it.
I'm not blaming you dude, I just can't visibly see the difference in switch picture quality, and I don't think it switches any quicker. I've never owned one of your switches before, I foolishly assumed it would have the bells and whistles compared to a Bandridge that's ~1/3 the price. Everyone here says they are the best but I just don't see it. My bad for not looking close enough at what I was getting, but that's my opinion.

If manual selection and port indicator can be done easily (cheaply too?) then for that price I would have done it. Or at least tell me how I can do it? If I'm troubleshooting a console or my system as a whole, it's extremely helpful to know which console is where, and whether it's giving signal. Yeah, your LED will provide some of that, but it's just another complication to see if the switch is working properly.

There was that dude a year ago who was berating you about being late, changing your schematics, charging more money, etc, and I defended you despite never using your products. I didn't think that with all the recommendations here it would be lacking in any way for other switches. But I also know how you are about returns, so now I'm stuck with them.
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: I'm not blaming you dude, I just can't visibly see the difference in switch picture quality, and I don't think it switches any quicker. I've never owned one of your switches before, I foolishly assumed it would have the bells and whistles compared to a Bandridge that's ~1/3 the price. Everyone here says they are the best but I just don't see it. My bad for not looking close enough at what I was getting, but that's my opinion.

If manual selection and port indicator can be done easily (cheaply too?) then for that price I would have done it. Or at least tell me how I can do it? If I'm troubleshooting a console or my system as a whole, it's extremely helpful to know which console is where, and whether it's giving signal. Yeah, your LED will provide some of that, but it's just another complication to see if the switch is working properly.

There was that dude a year ago who was berating you about being late, changing your schematics, charging more money, etc, and I defended you despite never using your products. I didn't think that with all the recommendations here it would be lacking in any way for other switches. But I also know how you are about returns, so now I'm stuck with them.
Take it easy, I will accept a return from you if you want. PM me.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

ldeveraux wrote: I'm not blaming you dude, I just can't visibly see the difference in switch picture quality, and I don't think it switches any quicker. I've never owned one of your switches before, I foolishly assumed it would have the bells and whistles compared to a Bandridge that's ~1/3 the price. Everyone here says they are the best but I just don't see it. My bad for not looking close enough at what I was getting, but that's my opinion.
I think most people would have to agree with superg on this aspect
superg wrote: Please don't tell me you didn't know what you're purchasing. :)
The store page for the switch describes what it does. It seems like you for reasons unfathomable assumed it would do things that nobody ever said it would (like switching "quicker" ...?!?! which is just a confusing metric i don't understand the point of) and are upset that it didn't meet these expectations.

Now on the manual override, I agree it would be nice to have. I'm not sure if superg just means the general % of people that want this is small, but when he says
superg wrote: BTW both active port number and manual port selection can be implemented easily using EXT connector. But guess what - nobody wants it.
that is objectively false. There was a question about this on the previous page that he responded to a few times, so I have to assume he is being hyperbolic here.

I know not having a manual override is one of the reasons I actually was hesitant to buy one of these switches for a while. Now I have 2 gcompsw and 2 gscartsw in my setup, and while I do still think it would be nice to have a manual override just because, I can't really say for what reason I would actually NEED it. The autodetection works perfectly fine for everything i have setup. The only real use I can think of for a manual override would be to compare two consoles, like if i wanted to compare the video output on my supergrafx with my duo-r and see which is better for a certain title or something... maybe.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Very nice product. I think the price is actually a bargain once you look at how it is constructed. Very reasonable shipping costs and delivery window. Thanks for making these.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
KakoC11

Post by KakoC11 »

Hey Superg, was just wondering if my order has been shipped? placed it on May 18. can PM you the details.

superg

Post by superg »

KakoC11 wrote:Hey Superg, was just wondering if my order has been shipped? placed it on May 18. can PM you the details.

There are several orders which were made this Friday and Weekend, I will print labels today and drop it off tomorrow.
If your order was made earlier, PM me your paypal email / transaction id.
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

kres24GT wrote:So I finally got around to plugging my in today and the slot the USB adapter plugs into snapped off. How can I fix?
Bump. Any help here would be appreciated.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

kres24GT wrote:
kres24GT wrote:So I finally got around to plugging my in today and the slot the USB adapter plugs into snapped off. How can I fix?
Please post a picture of the damage. "snapped off" might be irreparable or it might be a 2.2 second resoldering job.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

the Goat wrote:
kres24GT wrote:
Please post a picture of the damage. "snapped off" might be irreparable or it might be a 2.2 second resoldering job.
Links to photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fDU8f ... vjpDVcMvTp
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y7skI ... tR-yvF4dNE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wmGA6 ... bTB9r7NC50
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kahne ... 3tHiRewX2I
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

-the Goat
kres24GT

Post by kres24GT »

I changed the links.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

kres24GT wrote:
I changed the links.
Thanks.

I don't see any permanent damage. I think the USB socket can be soldered back on no problem. You just need to find somebody who can do that for you.
-the Goat
superg

Post by superg »

kres24GT wrote:
MicroUSB is available only in surface mount package thus it's less sturdy than barrel power connector (on the previous versions). If you aren't careful enough you can break it and rip off 1-4 mounting traces and possible other. A good thing about it is that it's repairable.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Sorry if this isn't appropriate (although I've previously asked superg if I could post this for sale), but I've a gscartsw_lite surplus to my requirements now that I'm using the latest model. I haven't listed on eBay yet as I've got to go into external storage to locate the range of power plug adapter variants (I used the UK one and stored the others somewhere), but anyone interested DM me with a sensible offer and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

superg wrote:
kres24GT wrote:
MicroUSB is available only in surface mount package thus it's less sturdy than barrel power connector (on the previous versions). If you aren't careful enough you can break it and rip off 1-4 mounting traces and possible other. A good thing about it is that it's repairable.
Mini USB is supposed to be sturdier. Is it more expensive than Micro USB or something?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

nmalinoski wrote:Mini USB is supposed to be sturdier. Is it more expensive than Micro USB or something?
It is getting harder to find power supplies with micro USB termination and it is also much uglier.
-the Goat
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

the Goat wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:Mini USB is supposed to be sturdier. Is it more expensive than Micro USB or something?
It is getting harder to find power supplies with micro USB termination and it is also much uglier.
What's wrong with bundling a power supply with a USB A port and a USB A to Mini USB cable?

And what do looks have to do with anything? I'd rather have something that's both functional and durable than fragile and "pretty".
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote: And what do looks have to do with anything? I'd rather have something that's both functional and durable than fragile and "pretty".
Barrel connector is the most durable and through hole, never was an issue but a lot of people requested USB and at the time I thought about it MicroUSB was the latest.
(I don't plan to change anything :))
ifury512

Post by ifury512 »

superg wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: And what do looks have to do with anything? I'd rather have something that's both functional and durable than fragile and "pretty".
Barrel connector is the most durable and through hole, never was an issue but a lot of people requested USB and at the time I thought about it MicroUSB was the latest.
Hello superg i recently bought the gcompsw, but PayPal use the wrong address and for some reason i can't PM you. I did send you a email to the store with the address correction and PayPal transaction.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

superg wrote:
While I agree that barrel connectors are even more durable, using USB for power means that you only get 5V, unless your device is smart enough to negotiate for more. There's so much variability in voltage with barrel connectors that, if you're careless, you can plug in the wrong barrel connector and blow/pop something, which has been seen several times over the years with the OSSC.

And I don't expect you to change your design. Micro USB should be fine for an AV switcher, since it's not like one would be handling it while it's powered on or on a regular basis.
ErebusMaligan

Post by ErebusMaligan »

It's definitely fixable, I had the exact same issue with the usb port on my MIST system at one point, but on that one the side points weren't soldered well to begin with, so I think that's why it came off. Some flux and a few seconds with a soldering iron can fix it up.

Maybe the design could be strengthened in some way by adding additional grounding pads to the side and soldering some kind of thick wire or bracket across the top of the connector to hold it on better?

Barring that it could always be hot glued or epoxied in place by anyone worried about it i suppose.
superg

Post by superg »

ErebusMaligan wrote:It's definitely fixable, I had the exact same issue with the usb port on my MIST system at one point, but on that one the side points weren't soldered well to begin with, so I think that's why it came off. Some flux and a few seconds with a soldering iron can fix it up.

Maybe the design could be strengthened in some way by adding additional grounding pads to the side and soldering some kind of thick wire or bracket across the top of the connector to hold it on better?

Barring that it could always be hot glued or epoxied in place by anyone worried about it i suppose.
Everything is soldered right in this case, people usually tear it with grounding pads.
superg

Post by superg »

ifury512 wrote: Hello superg i recently bought the gcompsw, but PayPal use the wrong address and for some reason i can't PM you. I did send you a email to the store with the address correction and PayPal transaction.
I responded to your store email.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

superg wrote:
kres24GT wrote:
Its a lot less common but if it helps there are a few micro USB port designs which have DIP mounting points, for example:-
https://milescn.en.made-in-china.com/pr ... e-DIP.html

I realise you switched from 12V to 5V with the latest gscartsw/gcompsw models so decided to switch to micro USB (which makes perfect sense) but if you did ever want to consider another barrel connector an alternative is the EIAJ-02 plug (4.00mm/1.7mm) which is used for PSP's and the XRGB-Mini. Its typically only used for 5V so less chance of accidents, and there are USB to EIAJ-02 cables readily available which are perfect for use with USB power supplies which have USB type A ports.
superg

Post by superg »

Link83 wrote: Its a lot less common but if it helps there are a few micro USB port designs which have DIP mounting points, for example:-
https://milescn.en.made-in-china.com/pr ... e-DIP.html

I realise you switched from 12V to 5V with the latest gscartsw/gcompsw models so decided to switch to micro USB (which makes perfect sense) but if you did ever want to consider another barrel connector an alternative is the EIAJ-02 plug (4.00mm/1.7mm) which is used for PSP's and the XRGB-Mini. Its typically only used for 5V so less chance of accidents, and there are USB to EIAJ-02 cables readily available which are perfect for use with USB power supplies which have USB type A ports.
I'm not so sure about the connectors which aren't sourced by digikey / mouser. It might work but I don't want to end up with broken batch to fix.
Adding additional power options is off the table, as I've said I don't plan to work on it anymore.