Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Re: Vasara Collection coming to Switch!

Post by BulletMagnet »

Japanese release date is November 24th, nothing new on anywhere else.
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

Vasara collection physical edition is up for preorder on Strictly Limited Games store on 28th July. PS4, Vita and Switch.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Loom1es wrote:Vasara collection physical edition is up for preorder on Strictly Limited Games store on 28th July. PS4, Vita and Switch.
FFS, not dealing with that shower of fuds, Oh well looks like digital copy for me :cry:
Loom1es

Post by Loom1es »

The Vasara Collection is open for preorders at Strictly Limited Games store https://t.co/wYdmBXUKlg
There are switch and ps4 versions available now with a second batch coming available tomorrow (28th).
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Some how I missed both of these (didn't see they went up on the 27th and forgot about it this morning. This is going to be up on the eshop right?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, it is coming out digitally on XBone, PS4, and Switch. I underestimated how fast these would sell out. But fuck collectors, I'll just stick with digital then. 8) The collection is listed on Steam as well, though that won't satisfy everyone.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

A physical release of the PS4 version is happening in Japan. Preorder bonus look like the SLG ones (soudtrack, mini book), but maybe without the bundle box. This one surely is not as limited as the european release.
I don't know about a Switch or a Vita release though...
Hanzohattori1

Post by Hanzohattori1 »

Thanks to this shumps forum, I was able to find out about Vasara, as well as other games. I was able to get both the PS4 and Vita standard versions. During the first batch, the sale went live at 15:00. Had both versions in my cart at 15:01, clicked checkout less than thirty seconds later and was notified that the Vita version sold out :shock:. I was pissed, but bought the PS4 version as it and every other version sold out soon after. I went back to the site while on break at work and saw that a second batch was going up in a few hours, so I made sure to stay awake and bought the Vita version as soon as it was available again. I considered getting a CE of one, but really didn’t think the extras were worth it.
GFoyle

Post by GFoyle »

Digital edition is up for pre-order on Switch EU eshop at least, -50% discount so the price is about 5€ here. Release date 15th of August.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

GFoyle wrote:Digital edition is up for pre-order on Switch EU eshop at least, -50% discount so the price is about 5€ here. Release date 15th of August.
Wow that is pretty cheap.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Vasara Collection will launch for PC via Steam on August 13, Xbox One via the Microsoft Store on August 14, and Switch via the Nintendo eShop on August 15

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxNtIaamaRA

Eshop Link $5 Pre-Order price https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/v ... on-switch/
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Is anyone going to update the thread title here, since it's coming out on every platform and not just the goddamn Switch? More people will likely look at the thread if it includes other platform as well.

Also, physical games are a joke in 2019. All these limited run companies release absolute bare bones releases of these games that have no added value to justify the inflated prices, and people are so obsessed with the idea of merely having a standard case with an art insert that they get upset when they realize the fucking eBay scalpers have 10 devices set up to spam the website and buy tons of copies to resell as soon as they go up for sale, leaving almost none for people who actually want to own and play the game. What a shitty, ugly cycle
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Hanzohattori1 wrote:Thanks to this shumps forum, I was able to find out about Vasara, as well as other games. I was able to get both the PS4 and Vita standard versions. During the first batch, the sale went live at 15:00. Had both versions in my cart at 15:01, clicked checkout less than thirty seconds later and was notified that the Vita version sold out :shock:. I was pissed, but bought the PS4 version as it and every other version sold out soon after. I went back to the site while on break at work and saw that a second batch was going up in a few hours, so I made sure to stay awake and bought the Vita version as soon as it was available again. I considered getting a CE of one, but really didn’t think the extras were worth it.
I think it's interesting the fact that although I'm sure everyone who was prepared to shell out cash for these editions noticed it, no one yet commented in this thread about the fact that the Vita version is gimped out of the new graphics mode.
So the version with actuall less content was the first one to sell out. Says a lot about the collectors' market. :)
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Is anyone going to update the thread title here
Eh, I'm enough of a Vasara fan to take you up on that, heh.
All these limited run companies release absolute bare bones releases of these games that have no added value to justify the inflated prices
I guess you could argue that an "increased sense/degree of ownership" or something like that is part of the implied value of such editions, but yeah, unfortunately the invisible hand seldom finds itself an invisible joystick to just relax with for a bit.
Ddshot

Re: Vasara Collection (NSW, PS4, XB1, PSV, PC)

Post by Ddshot »

Can’t believe how PlayStation has let the switch dominate,with all the shmups realised,they have really missed a trick there not to mention exclusives like rolling thunder,I also hate the digital trend call me old fashioned but I like to own the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Ddshot wrote:Can’t believe how PlayStation has let the switch dominate,with all the shmups realised,they have really missed a trick there not to mention exclusives like rolling thunder,I also hate the digital trend call me old fashioned but I like to own the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like physical versions also. However most of them have come out long after the digital release this cycle. I just end up getting both as I do not like to wait for the physicals to come out. I just keep them sealed and am satisfied with knowing I have them if needed.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop site, Vasara Collection appeared 8/02/2019, Friday, with an very attractive pricepoint of a mere $4.99 USD (with a suggested MSRP of $9.99 USD after 8/15/2019). It's a mere 1.3gb d/l + 69mb update to version 1.01. Cool to learn of the new fangled four player co-op STG fest to spice things up within this Switch Vasara port (something that was not available with the original SSV arcade hardware pcb iterations of Vasara & Vasara II initial as they were limited to a 2 players maximum affair at best). You'll be able to play it on the forthcoming 8/15/2019 announced release date.

It's awesome to play the original SSV (a tri-joint collaborative effort between arcade developers/publishers of Sammy, Seta & Visco with this particular arcade motherboard setup) pcb versions of Vasara & Vasara II on a candy cab or supergun setup for ol' times sake/nostalgia with the hard-core arcade pcb hobbyists these days.

The real question is: Will we see other SSV STG titles released (such as Visco's Storm Blade and/or Seta's Twin Eagle II) on the Switch platform as well? Hmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

If I knew it would be 5 bucks digitally, I probably would've passed on the physical edition tbh.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:On the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop site, Vasara Collection appeared 8/02/2019, Friday, with an very attractive pricepoint of a mere $4.99 USD (with a suggested MSRP of $9.99 USD after 8/15/2019). It's a mere 1.3gb d/l + 69mb update to version 1.01. Cool to learn of the new fangled four player co-op STG fest to spice things up within this Switch Vasara port (something that was not available with the original SSV arcade hardware pcb iterations of Vasara & Vasara II initial as they were limited to up a 2 players maximum affair at best). You'll be able to play it on the forthcoming 8/15/2019 announced release date.

It's awesome to play the original SSV (a tri-joint collaborative effort between arcade developers/publishers of Sammy, Seta & Visco with this particular arcade motherboard setup) pcb versions of Vasara & Vasara II on a candy cab or supergun setup for ol' times sake/nostalgia with the hard-core arcade pcb hobbyists these days.

The real question is: Will we see other SSV STG titles released (such as Visco's Storm Blade and/or Seta's Twin Eagle II) on the Switch platform as well? Hmmm...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I would like to see Storm Blade. Other Visco titles such as Captain Tomaday , Ganryu , and Breakers have been released on Dreamcast in the last few years as well.
bobasaurus

Post by bobasaurus »

I preordered the switch version since it's so inexpensive and looks great in previews. My flip grip finally shipped today, so I'll have something to try it out with. I'd be happy to get any other recommendations for switch shmups supporting tate mode.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I grabbed the Collector's Edition from Strictly Limited but I also pre-ordered the eShop release - I don't mind paying an extra €5 when it means I don't have to change the cartridge if I want to play something else that I only have physically.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Hanzohattori1

Post by Hanzohattori1 »

Turrican wrote:
Hanzohattori1 wrote:Thanks to this shumps forum, I was able to find out about Vasara, as well as other games. I was able to get both the PS4 and Vita standard versions. During the first batch, the sale went live at 15:00. Had both versions in my cart at 15:01, clicked checkout less than thirty seconds later and was notified that the Vita version sold out :shock:. I was pissed, but bought the PS4 version as it and every other version sold out soon after. I went back to the site while on break at work and saw that a second batch was going up in a few hours, so I made sure to stay awake and bought the Vita version as soon as it was available again. I considered getting a CE of one, but really didn’t think the extras were worth it.
I think it's interesting the fact that although I'm sure everyone who was prepared to shell out cash for these editions noticed it, no one yet commented in this thread about the fact that the Vita version is gimped out of the new graphics mode.
So the version with actuall less content was the first one to sell out. Says a lot about the collectors' market. :)
I knew the Vita version wouldn’t have the new graphics mode, and I didn’t (and still don’t) care. I get to play the originals on my handheld, that’s pretty much all that matters to me.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Turrican wrote:the Vita version is gimped out of the new graphics mode.
So the version with actuall less content was the first one to sell out.
The Vita version is actually getting it's own, EXCLUSIVE mode in place of it. EXCLUSIVE! :lol:

Edit: Nvm I'm retarded, there's nothing here. Could've sworn they said on twitter they couldn't get the 3D mode to work on Vita and would be replacing it with a new 2D mode, but I guess not.
Last edited by DietSoap on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantomas

Post by Phantomas »

I preordered the special edition for PS4. I think it's a great price for the work of Strictly Limited Games.

prophetic

Post by prophetic »

DietSoap wrote:
The Vita version is actually getting it's own, EXCLUSIVE mode in place of it. EXCLUSIVE! :lol:
Is PlayStation blog correct? Vita is the only version with TATE? I mean, it sounds like the blog post was written by one of the porting team members...

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/08 ... next-week/
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

So what is this... Timeless Mode I keep hearing about?
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

prophetic wrote:
DietSoap wrote:
Is PlayStation blog correct? Vita is the only version with TATE? I mean, it sounds like the blog post was written by one of the porting team members...

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/08 ... next-week/
I have it on very good authority that TATE will be in other versions too. PS4 definitely, so I'd assume Switch as well. The other modernish mode is a widescreen vertical scroller though for 4 players, so no TATE there I'm pretty sure..
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Just picked this up on Switch and Steam, since it was so cheap. The ports of the two original games seem really solid. There isn't too much in the way of display options (smooth filter or sharp pixels, left or right tate), but what's there works well. The new "Vasara Timeless" mode is predictably pretty boring, though, shoehorning the original mechanics into a 16:9 horizontal playfield and adding a 'dash' manoeuvre to alleviate the tedium of traversing it. It possibly wouldn't be so noticeable if the pace of the action itself wasn't so sedate - here's hoping it picks up in the later stages!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Couldn't pass on the $5 deal on Switch. I realized this is the first time I've ever "pre-ordered" a digital game. So weird to see it download, but I can't open the file until Thursday. ;)
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Trying out the steam version, and something I noticed right away in Vasara 1 (This does not apply to Vasara 2):

The arcade pcb uses 2 buttons: shot and bomb. Holding shot uses a melee attack, and if your gauge is full, it automatically uses the Vasara attack the next time you melee.

The steam version uses 3 buttons: shot, bomb, and Vasara attack (I won't count rapid fire as an extra button). If your gauge is full, you can still use the regular melee attack without being forced to use the Vasara attack, saving it for when you really want to use it.

Very interesting change. Unless there's a different version of the Vasara 1 pcb I haven't seen, or perhaps a dip switch setting I don't know about.

btw the default button layout is really stupid. I hope we get a patch soon with a button config.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.