PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ED-057

Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by ED-057 »

Nice game list but where's muh 240p?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Further than that, not only will a hack have to happen in general, but there will also have to be a more advanced hack to add additional USB storage in order to put more PCE CD games on here, so the chances of it seem somewhat slim given the lack of interest in the console in general. Hell, hackers even gave up on advancing the PS Mini hacks not long after it came out due to the storage expansion issue and obvious lack of people giving a shit about the device in general.
Thankfully, I think you're a bit out of touch here. The PS Mini hacks are still rolling along, and USB storage - huge - has already happened. The people doing this work, along with all the shit done to the SNES Classic, are huge retro enthusiasts so I don't think lack of interest in the PCE will be the issue either.

That's "the" issue, though. My concern would be simple disinterest in redoing all this work AGAIN after NES, SNES, PS, and probably the Genesis. Add in the likelihood that the PS will remain the most powerful of the bunch, and even these incredible coders might decide it's simply not worth it to keep doing more machines.
it290

Post by it290 »

bigbadboaz wrote:Thankfully, I think you're a bit out of touch here. The PS Mini hacks are still rolling along, and USB storage - huge - has already happened. The people doing this work, along with all the shit done to the SNES Classic, are huge retro enthusiasts so I don't think lack of interest in the PCE will be the issue either.
Then again, not much has been done with the Neo Geo mini, and that was arguably a more popular console in the West back in the day...
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Neo mini's a bit of a different case. The form factor, higher price, and significantly lower penetration make it a less obvious choice to dedicate time and effort to. I wouldn't attribute it to lack of interest in the console. If you watch the modding subreddits, since RetroArch was ported it seems 25% of the users are asking about Neo Geo, Neo Geo, Neo Geo...
Special World

Post by Special World »

Anyone else clicking that (later) link and getting a message that the PC-Engine version won't ship to your location?

Either way, torn on PC-E vs TG-16. The PC-E looks nicer, but I would like to have Salamander.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, I wasn't able to pre-order the PCE mini for US shipping via Amazon JP (although thanks to the sojourn I did end up ordering a Mega Drive Tower Mini, blast it). Probably will wait 'til play-asia opens up preorders to get one of those. I'm not really that concerned with the differences between the game lists as I already have a Duo-R and a PCE with SSD3, but ideally would like the white PCE + turbo controller for collection purposes.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

One of the Hudson titles that was developed but never released for the PCE nor the TG-16 was Bomberman HD that required a specially modified PC Engine console (hooked up to an analog based HDTV monitor setup) and had support for up to ten players -- Konami owns the rights to this particular prototype PCE game. Konami could release this cool prototype PCE Bomberman HD game as an exclusive for the upcoming PCE/CoreGrafx/TG-16 mini consoles -- with two multi-taps + ten PCE or TG-16 controlllers and it's doable on a modern HDTV setup. This prototype Bomberman HD was the basis for the ten player version on the SS Bomberman port indeed. It'd be nice to play the original PCE version of Bomberman HD though.

Nice to hear that Bomberman '93 will be released on all three PCE mini consoles but tis a shame that Bomberman '94 wasn't included also (as it's the best version of Bomberman out of the three PCE based BM games). Bomberman '94 was released for the MD & Genesis consoles under the proper name of Mega Bomberman but with four player support from the get-go.

That's cool to hear that all three mini PCE variant consoles have support for CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 & Arcade CD-Rom2 + SuperGrafx as well.

It was no problem finding a brand new TG-16 system at the local The Good Guys, Toys-R-Us, Babbages, Electronics Boutique, FAO Schwartz, etc. back in 1989 and into the early 1990s. NEC had made the mistake of releasing the TG-16 within two weeks of Sega releasing it's Genesis console stateside back in the summer of 1989 at the MSRP of $189.99 USD (the Genesis debuted with a MSRP of $199.99 USD respectively). It was typical to pony up to $59.99 USD for a single brand new Turbo Chip game back in the day.

By December of 1993, at the American Toys-R-Us stores, you could buy a brand new TG-16 system for a mere $29.99 USD + brand new TurboChip cart based games for a mere $19.99 at that particular point in time.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

If any documentation about how the Hi-Ten Bomberman system works exists, I doubt Konami knows about it. It would be amazing to create an emulator for it, but also completely guesswork without knowing how it works. Although it's based on a PCE, I'm not sure you could really compare it to one, since the HD video output means the video chip would need to work completely differently - and honestly that's pretty much the defining difference in basically any video game console.
Frank Cifaldi already touched on the subject in his Twitter post about the game, after Takahashi himself gave him a copy of the CD with the game on it:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status ... 6495042560

Honestly, I would love to see the code and have a crack at it myself, but it's probably not gonna happen. :P
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:but tis a shame that Bomberman '94 wasn't included also (as it's the best version of Bomberman out of the three PCE based BM games). Bomberman '94 was released for the MD & Genesis consoles under the proper name of Mega Bomberman but with four player support from the get-go.
What do you mean? Bomberman 94 -IS- on it. It's just listed under the Japanese titles.
Honestly though, I think 93 is better than 94 in certain aspects, but overall 94 probably is still the better game.

I have a lot of thoughts on the Bomberman series as a whole, and considered making a new thread to it, but I don't know if anyone else on this forum would be interested.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Ah yes, the fabled but not much seen nor played Hi-Ten Bombman game from 1993 from the likes of Hudson Soft. Makes me wonder if the analog based HDTV used to display it was running in 720 x 480 or 720i/720p format? So only five of those specially modified PCE consoles were made -- how many still exist today?

My bad, I didn't see Bomberman '94 listed under the Japanese PCE game list for the mini PCE consoles -- cool to hear that it there for completeness. I'd have to say that BM '94 is better than BM '93 because of the introduction of the kangaroo characters that help you out. Sure, there are plenty of Bomberman fans out there, myself included -- please do make a Bomberman thread, Sumez.

Back to the PC Engine mini thread at hand.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

bigbadboaz wrote:Thankfully, I think you're a bit out of touch here. The PS Mini hacks are still rolling along, and USB storage - huge - has already happened. The people doing this work, along with all the shit done to the SNES Classic, are huge retro enthusiasts so I don't think lack of interest in the PCE will be the issue either.
Last I heard there was the USB storage, but it also took up one of the controller USB slots to be able to use it, which is just a plain inconvenience and would require buying even more extra parts just to get it to work along with playing 2 players. Was it hacked to run RetroArch and all the other consoles, or just expanded to use the USB to hold more PS1 games? I haven't followed it since a few months after release when most people I know who were following the progress said it had slowed and accomplished most of what they wanted to do with it.
That's "the" issue, though. My concern would be simple disinterest in redoing all this work AGAIN after NES, SNES, PS, and probably the Genesis. Add in the likelihood that the PS will remain the most powerful of the bunch, and even these incredible coders might decide it's simply not worth it to keep doing more machines.
This is the other biggest issue, for sure. But how is the PS more powerful? Is the chip actually more powerful? Cause the NES and SNES minis run PS1 games flawlessly, so I haven't looked into the actual architecture of them to compare since it seemed fairly irrelevant if the Nintendo minis already had an ARM processor capable of running the PS1 stuff perfectly.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It has a significantly better SoC and more RAM. For either of the coming 16-bit minis to use something similar would be massive overkill, although another year later who knows what's cheap in the parts bin.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Has there been any confirmation as to who is doing the emulation? There was a rumor going around that M2 was going to handle the PCE/Turbo Mini emulation, and based on what I've been told about how they're doing the Sega Genesis/MD mini, it's per-game emulation, rather than a single emulator for all games. If that's the case, it may be harder to strip out the ROM and repackage it with a different one, making adding games to it a more difficult proposition. I'm still on board, because the value of the included games alone, thus the per-game cost ratio, is substantially low. But for anyone excited about the hacking prospects, that probably needs to be determined
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Sumez wrote:I have a lot of thoughts on the Bomberman series as a whole, and considered making a new thread to it, but I don't know if anyone else on this forum would be interested.
*raises hand*
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

FRO wrote:But for anyone excited about the hacking prospects, that probably needs to be determined
If hackers get involved to any real extent, you can be sure RetroArch will be introduced as a way to get a general emulator on the system. So maybe not ideal as far as using M2's work across the board, but there WILL be a way to add games.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Getting the TG-16 Mini, Multi-Tap, two extra controllers, and the AC Adapter. Don't feel like paying extra to import the European Model, I like Salamander, and same library. I only doing the extra controllers if the system becomes hack open, which I believe I will have to use one of the USB Ports on the console. With everything its overpriced, but we'll see....
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

Konami is adding 8 more games to the PC-Engine Mini.

-Tengai Makyou II
-Splatterhouse
-Galaga '88
-Dragon Spirit
-The Genji and the Heike Clans
-The Legend of Valkyrie
-Seirei Senshi Spriggan
-Spriggan Mark 2

Unfortunately, Tengai Makyou II will not be included in the Turbografx / Coregrafx minis.

Updated list - https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/us/en/
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I noticed the link says Snatcher CD-ROMantic is listed on the TG-16 as well. Do you think that means it'll be translated? (ditto for Legend of Valkyrie)
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

EmperorIng wrote:I noticed the link says Snatcher CD-ROMantic is listed on the TG-16 as well. Do you think that means it'll be translated? (ditto for Legend of Valkyrie)
Neither game will be translated I'm afraid.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

PepsimanVsJoe wrote:Konami is adding 8 more games to the PC-Engine Mini.

-Tengai Makyou II
-Splatterhouse
-Galaga '88
-Dragon Spirit
-The Legend of Valkyrie
-Seirei Senshi Spriggan
-Spriggan Mark 2

Getting better all the time. I have 5 of those 8 and I'm still stoked for them.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, have to give credit that they're still adding. It was already a large list and anyone would have assumed things were final at this point. Wonder what drive this decision?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

PepsimanVsJoe wrote: Unfortunately, Tengai Makyou II will not be included in the Turbografx / Coregrafx minis.
That's a weird choice, considering it has plenty of other text driven games in Japanese. I wonder why they did it?

On the other hand, apparently the western release has Salamander, but the Japanese doesn't?
That's a huge point in that one's favor.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Am I the only one unable to see the actual site content on that konami page beyond the "Select Your Region/Language" thing? I've tried multiple browsers with and without adblock and it never actually loads anything when I select something from that box and fill in the birthdate :?:
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

M2 seem to have confirmed they're the ones programming the PC Engine Mini https://twitter.com/M2_STG/status/1159391975788838913 :D :D :D
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

drunkninja24 wrote:Am I the only one unable to see the actual site content on that konami page beyond the "Select Your Region/Language" thing? I've tried multiple browsers with and without adblock and it never actually loads anything when I select something from that box and fill in the birthdate :?:
I had to do it twice as well, not sure if it was that or clicking away the footer about cookies that finally allowed me to view the site.

Really cool thing, this, I pre-ordered my Core Grafx Mini as soon as they went up. Bit of a rare case where the EUR release is arguably the best one - the JPN one doesn't have turbo controllers included, instead they're sold separately, and the US one takes up more shelf space simply because that's how it originally was. You can literally fit two PC Engine Minis/Core Grafx Minis in the space that the TurboGrafx Mini takes (120 mm x 115mm x 35mm vs 240 mm x 156 mm x 35 mm). And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

PepsimanVsJoe wrote:Konami is adding 8 more games to the PC-Engine Mini.

-Tengai Makyou II
-Splatterhouse
-Galaga '88
-Dragon Spirit
-The Legend of Valkyrie
-Seirei Senshi Spriggan
-Spriggan Mark 2

Unfortunately, Tengai Makyou II will not be included in the Turbografx / Coregrafx minis.

Splatterhouse for the win, superb effort 8)
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

I'm wondering if Konami will announce further games in the near future. Several websites announce this new update as being the "final" line-up, but nowhere on Konami's own website or Twitter feed do they state this as such. I'm still holding out for Gates of Thunder and maybe Final Soldier, heh.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's really M2 in charge ? * heavy breathing *
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FRO

Post by FRO »

Martinov wrote:I'm wondering if Konami will announce further games in the near future. Several websites announce this new update as being the "final" line-up, but nowhere on Konami's own website or Twitter feed do they state this as such. I'm still holding out for Gates of Thunder and maybe Final Soldier, heh.
That would be amazing, to get both of those included.
Xyga wrote:It's really M2 in charge ? * heavy breathing *
That's what I heard, and was trying to figure out, but I'm not sure there's been confirmation of that.

EDIT: Looks like M2 has confirmed it via Twitter:
https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1159405768333938689
Domino

Post by Domino »

Well, there's that. More STGs and M2 confirming they are doing their magic on it. Still a shame the Mega Drive Mini will not have any CD titles. Also, still debating to get a Mega Drive Mini when I have a MegaSG. I guess no point going forward.

I still have my TG-16 Mini pre-order from Amazon active. Would love a Core Grafx, but I think the price just for a cosmetic difference is eh.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Ghegs wrote:And US/EUR wins in the game selection as far as I'm concerned.
Salamander is indeed a plus, but too bad the included Splatterhouse for US/Eur is the censored US version with the red mask...
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.