BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
JBueno MD

Re: BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

Post by JBueno MD »

Tokyo-J wrote:Play-Asia has the Korean version on Sale for $24.99

https://www.play-asia.com/battle-garegg ... jDIdxOB9F4
Thanks, got yet another version of Garegga. Now I'm just missing the PCB.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

My Limited Run Games PS4 version shipped this morning. I bought the Standard.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

congrats, that's gonna be a cool piece.
Lan Di

Post by Lan Di »

Tokyo-J wrote:My Limited Run Games PS4 version shipped this morning. I bought the Standard.
Still waiting on mine to ship. :cry: :cry:
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

My (Standard) copy arrived earlier today.

The disc includes the latest patch, so once it's installed to the PS4, you're ready to play.
it290

Post by it290 »

Still no shipping notification for the deluxe edition. Hopefully it doesn't slip back too far—I have the digital version already but I want that vinyl, damnit!
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Yay the Post Office lost my package. :evil:
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Tokyo-J wrote:Yay the Post Office lost my package. :evil:
That was an early suicide.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

brokenhalo wrote:
Tokyo-J wrote:Yay the Post Office lost my package. :evil:
That was an early suicide.
Sorry to laugh at this, but... :lol:

I do hope your game arrives soon!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

It showed up while I was at the post office they tell me it is delivered. Glad it arrived.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Delivered here today! Man, this gets the award for worst 'booklet' ever made :lol:

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Same. Yeah cheap, but we get the definitive version ever on disc so, well...

Dang, gotta sell my useless KR version now. :lol:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Xyga wrote: Dang, gotta sell my useless KR version now. :lol:
Is there additional content on the Limited Run Games disc versus the Korean disc?

Also, yes that LRG "booklet" is patheticly lazy and careless. Even if they arent going to produce a real booklet with meaningful content, they already paid for the printing on the inside of the single sheet, at least place a white line drawing of some game art or something.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I'm struggling to understand why a company who makes niche collector's products would not bother to put in a proper printed manual. I'd not be happy if I purchased this.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Blame the current market. Companies have decided it's fair to ship the absolute bare minimum for our physical product, and consumers have let them get away with it. LRG ship limited-edition games - there is zero incentive for them to package these games any differently than the rest of what's out there.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

As much flak as Nicalis gets (for good reason), they nailed the US packaging for the Switch versions of Cave Story+ and Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap. Reversible cover, full color manual, and a mini cd soundtrack.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I'm struggling to understand why a company who makes niche collector's products would not bother to put in a proper printed manual. I'd not be happy if I purchased this.
Why would they care, most of their customers don't even open the shrinkwrap...

And they have now an unconditionnal fan base.
When LR annouce they release a game that will not bear their "number" on it and that customers DON'T NEED it for a COMPLETE LR collection, that makes me laugh so hard...

As pricey as they are, their limited editions are still really nicely done and have real bonus content.
Last edited by plasticxo on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

plasticxo wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:I'm struggling to understand why a company who makes niche collector's products would not bother to put in a proper printed manual. I'd not be happy if I purchased this.
Why would they care, most of their customers don't even open the shrinkwrap...

And they have now an unconditionnal fan base.
When LR annouce they release a game that will not bear their "number" on it and that customers DON'T NEED it for a COMPLETE LR collection, that makes me laugh so hard...
Couldn't agree more. It's actually pretty sad when people who are just hoarders try to pass themselves off as gamers...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Come on now, it isn't a black and white line like that. I treasure my collection, which stays in impeccable shape, and also get plenty of actual use out of my stuff. The care I take of my games is a direct result of real love for the hobby.

Someone having more of a collector's mindset than you != less of a gamer's mindset. At least not just because.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

bigbadboaz wrote:Blame the current market. Companies have decided it's fair to ship the absolute bare minimum for our physical product, and consumers have let them get away with it. LRG ship limited-edition games - there is zero incentive for them to package these games any differently than the rest of what's out there.
I guess I'm one of the few who is happy that there pretty much is no manual. One less thing to think about when collecting a game.

All I really want is physical media and a holder.... that is it :)

I remember collecting JP imports for the Saturn and Playstation and it was almost mandatory to include a spine/obi card lol
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

But isn't the whole appeal of collecting "neat stuff"? A bare case and disc ain't so neat.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

From LRG's own About Us page
Limited Run Games wrote:We're game collectors and players who fear the prophesied all-digital future. We hope that we're not crazy to think that there are other people like us that still want physical games. (...)
Our goal is to serve gamers and collectors by bringing physicality back to games.
And in at least one interview, one of the owners referenced how the wanted to preserve the experience of being able to read a manual while sitting on the shiter.

Come to think of it... what recent generation games have had proper manuals with great graphic design?
Such as a manual with backstory, world map, character intros, boss teasers, moves and instruction summaries, options, etc?
It's a darn shame that is becoming a lost component of the game experience - an actual booklet to read separate from the game but fully priming you to play and be psyched about playing the game.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Outside of the JP versions most manuals were crap tho.
Today devs can shove all that and much more inside the game itself if they feel like, there's enough rom space and resolution real estate to put a manual, strategy guide, art book, and ost in every game.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

To be honest the only people buying these releases are shelfqueens, collectards and a few hardcore enthusiasts, the majority of which are afraid to even remove the shrinkwrap let alone actually remove and read the manual because that might hurt resale value. No kid is going to find this under the xmas tree or next to the birthday cake and get any enjoyment out of it or its manual.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

spmbx wrote:To be honest the only people buying these releases are shelfqueens, collectards and a few hardcore enthusiasts, the majority of which are afraid to even remove the shrinkwrap let alone actually remove and read the manual because that might hurt resale value. No kid is going to find this under the xmas tree or next to the birthday cake and get any enjoyment out of it or its manual.
That's not being honest, that's you projecting prejudice and assumptions on people you dont know.

Xyga wrote: Today devs can shove all that and much more inside the game itself if they feel like, there's enough rom space and resolution real estate to put a manual, strategy guide, art book, and ost in every game.
Yes exactly what has ruined the experience of having a manual separate from the game.
Today's dev's can distribute their products without any physical medium whatsoever, that's exactly the point of why people talk about preserving or providing "physicality".
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well you can't stop that, I mean the real estate is there so thay will use it (or not), but that doesn't mean a physical disc or cartridge cannot be.
Honestly I wouldn't mind a generic white box and the disc period, as long as what's on the disc is complete and finished, with all the useful contents and info included.
LRG aren't far from offering that when it comes to standard releases, so I don't mind the form, the problem comes from collecting nuts and I don't know if we can really blame a company for placing itself in the way of the niche flux that makes money.
Options like platinum/ages/simple series etc are better, but to this day still underdevelopped, unfortunately, as they weren't supported enough by the big 3.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Shelcoof wrote:I remember collecting JP imports for the Saturn and Playstation and it was almost mandatory to include a spine/obi card lol
I got a 50(!) USD discount on my former copy of Radiant Silvergun because I specifically declined the inclusion of the obi. This was 2002. I don't even want to think how much complete copies are going for these days.

I'm one of those idiots that welcomes digital. Physical things tend to weigh me down. I unloaded 95% of the gaming stuff I had in 2007, tragically before the retro game boom. But if I had unlimited funds, space for a gaming room, and friends to enjoy it with me, I'd want to collect PC-Engine stuff again. I think HuCards and the JP briefcase-style setup are the coolest things.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

OmegaFlareX wrote:in 2007 ... before the retro game boom.
Lol, I don't know if you can call what followed a boom, more like a wreck. The golden age of retrogaming was definitely around 2000~2010 anyway.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Xyga wrote:Well you can't stop that, I mean the real estate is there so thay will use it (or not), but that doesn't mean a physical disc or cartridge cannot be.
Honestly I wouldn't mind a generic white box and the disc period, as long as what's on the disc is complete and finished, with all the useful contents and info included.
LRG aren't far from offering that when it comes to standard releases, so I don't mind the form, the problem comes from collecting nuts and I don't know if we can really blame a company for placing itself in the way of the niche flux that makes money.
Options like platinum/ages/simple series etc are better, but to this day still underdevelopped, unfortunately, as they weren't supported enough by the big 3.
Its getting harder and harder for me to shell out money for a physical when half the content needs to be downloaded and patched in. In many cases I'd just go digital for titles I know do this.

I'd be happy too with just a disc and a generic box. Nice artwork on the box wouldn't hurt either :)

I'm actually sort of dreaming of the day when consoles will impliment a cartidge slot again and I can pop in my game cart and connect my controller...

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:I remember collecting JP imports for the Saturn and Playstation and it was almost mandatory to include a spine/obi card lol
I got a 50(!) USD discount on my former copy of Radiant Silvergun because I specifically declined the inclusion of the obi. This was 2002. I don't even want to think how much complete copies are going for these days.

I'm one of those idiots that welcomes digital. Physical things tend to weigh me down. I unloaded 95% of the gaming stuff I had in 2007, tragically before the retro game boom. But if I had unlimited funds, space for a gaming room, and friends to enjoy it with me, I'd want to collect PC-Engine stuff again. I think HuCards and the JP briefcase-style setup are the coolest things.
Digital has its benefits as well. As a collector I'm good with both. As long as I have some way of owning the game and playing anytime I want I'm happy.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shelcoof wrote:Its getting harder and harder for me to shell out money for a physical when half the content needs to be downloaded and patched in. In many cases I'd just go digital for titles I know do this.
Yeah that's what I mean about the late reprints, cheaper and more up-to-date revisions of the game, they're the ones that are worth buying physical IMO.
Heck some even come with the extension pack(s) or alt. versions on disc too, and you pay less than the first release for all that.
Lots of collectors don't like them because they look cheap but heh. Also of course they come late and more importantly we're never certain an actual reprint will be a thing...
Guess if it was a sure thing for every game too many customers would wait and that would impact profits.