Psyvariar Delta

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DejahThoris

Re: Psyvariar Delta

Post by DejahThoris »

Koa Zo wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
Regular edition had sold out this morning according to their twitter.
The reliability of information from these business people is Zero.
How asinine could they be to have Target and Best Buy list their product for sale but then not fulfill that distribution?
I really dont know. Could they be that disfunctional?

As of now, I'm assuming their Twitter comment was just in reference to availability from their website only, as other retail sites still have it listed for order.
Their website is what the poster above me was talking about, and in turn what my comment was regarding. They said they couldn't find the regular edition on their site, I stated it was sold out.

But yes, they're absolutely ridiculous. "Hopefully you'll get lucky" or whatever they told that guy who'd pre-ordered at retail is incredibly concerning...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well hot damn, I actually got a shipment email! Now the next part of the drama: will it arrive??? Will it make people trust them enough to pre-order Radirgy Swag?

Some brave soul should order the physical copy whenever it comes out in Japan to see if it has an English language option. 8)
syveL

Post by syveL »

Got my dispatch copy in the mail earlier today.

Is there a trick to rolling with the joystick? I gave up after about an hour and a half and switched to using the button instead. It made the game a lot easier to the point of feeling almost like cheating. And is there a difference between Rosalia and Sakura?

My initial impressions are kind of poor/mixed. This game has definitely been overhyped here and on other forums. I'm not saying it's bad. The music is great though.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

Played it and got a fairly early 1cc. I feel that I better understand the series as a whole now, which should make Psyvariar 2 a bit more enjoyable.

Love the Cybattler ship, makes it feel like a totally different game. Also digging all four soundtracks. Overall pretty good, I gotta say.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
ciox

Post by ciox »

RawlingGunnar wrote: Love the Cybattler ship, makes it feel like a totally different game. Also digging all four soundtracks. Overall pretty good, I gotta say.
Hope they hold on to the promise of adding DLC ships, Blanche is alright but I want to see what they can come up with as far as really mixing up the mechanics.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

ciox wrote:[Hope they hold on to the promise of adding DLC ships, Blanche is alright but I want to see what they can come up with as far as really mixing up the mechanics.
Psyvariar Chronicle Saviour
-
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well well well, fleece my bees and grease my knees, my copy finally arrived. Has all been forgiven?
Let me first find a non-sucky d-pad to play this game on my TV, first. Time to dig out the Hori pad.
RawlingGunnar wrote:Played it and got a fairly early 1cc. I feel that I better understand the series as a whole now, which should make Psyvariar 2 a bit more enjoyable.

Love the Cybattler ship, makes it feel like a totally different game. Also digging all four soundtracks. Overall pretty good, I gotta say.
Fairly early 1cc? Did you get the requirements for the final boss? Half the stages don't appear if you aren't getting proper leveling out of the stages :mrgreen:

I think the replays can show how you can jump 40+ levels in the second stage (2-D Volcano) - all in the opening 40 seconds. It's a great game to try and optimize your route.

I haven't played enough of Blanche, mainly because I haven't figured out how to play the game without buzzing yet. Not getting those stage milestones (don't know how yet; e.g. X-A after the first two stages) feels 'wrong!'
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

Really excited to give this a try. I've been playing my PS2 copy for a long while and I hope this version is superior.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I had this pre-ordered at target, and it is now gone off their website for the Switch and just the PS4 version exists. Did they really completely fuck up the retail release of this?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Johnpv wrote:I had this pre-ordered at target, and it is now gone off their website for the Switch and just the PS4 version exists. Did they really completely fuck up the retail release of this?
Your guess is as good as anyone's. If you ordered retail "You may be in luck" and they've "Seen retail cancel orders at random".

Amazon canceled my order back in January and I re-ordered at Gamestop.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

DDDP wrote:Really excited to give this a try. I've been playing my PS2 copy for a long while and I hope this version is superior.
I can't speak to Revision, but according to this topic, this port fixes a bug with Medium Unit's short bomb that existed since the PS2 port, so there is that! Being able to play this game on not-ancient hardware - both console and TV - is certainly a plus.
DDDP

Post by DDDP »

EmperorIng wrote:
DDDP wrote:Really excited to give this a try. I've been playing my PS2 copy for a long while and I hope this version is superior.
I can't speak to Revision, but according to this topic, this port fixes a bug with Medium Unit's short bomb that existed since the PS2 port, so there is that! Being able to play this game on not-ancient hardware - both console and TV - is certainly a plus.
That's good to know. Thank you for the info. I don't mind booting it up on the PS2 but yeah, this will be nice to play on modern hardware.

The soundtrack, updated graphics, and bonus modes certainly don't hurt, either.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

DejahThoris wrote:
Johnpv wrote:I had this pre-ordered at target, and it is now gone off their website for the Switch and just the PS4 version exists. Did they really completely fuck up the retail release of this?
Your guess is as good as anyone's. If you ordered retail "You may be in luck" and they've "Seen retail cancel orders at random".

Amazon cancelled my order ages ago as well. If this Target order truly is gone then fuck this company. I just won't buy the game, digitally or physically and show this shit show of a company no support. I've plenty of other games to play.
insofaras_itself

Post by insofaras_itself »

Johnpv wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:

Amazon cancelled my order ages ago as well. If this Target order truly is gone then fuck this company. I just won't buy the game, digitally or physically and show this shit show of a company no support. I've plenty of other games to play.
If you look here you should still be able to see the Switch version on Target's website:

https://www.target.com/p/psyvariar-delt ... A-53678501

I was wondering about this too, but I think it's an automatic procedure related to the fact that they had the release date set as July 9th. When that date came and went and Target didn't acknowledge receiving stock for the SKU, it disappeared from the site. The PS4 version is still up because it has a release date of August 6th.

I'm still not confident that Target will receive the game, but I think this explains why the game disappeared from their website.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

EmperorIng wrote:Fairly early 1cc? Did you get the requirements for the final boss? Half the stages don't appear if you aren't getting proper leveling out of the stages :mrgreen:
Well, I didn't say TLB1LC, did I? I played it and beat it in 1 credit, on normal-difficulty stages. Of course there's more to it :roll:
-
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

physical edition arrived directly from dispatch games today. at least the shipping was fast :roll:

unfortunately, probably won't be able to get some runs in until later this week, but I'm exciting to get some buzzing in!
a creature... half solid half gas
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Went to my local Gamestop on 7/9/19 to inquire if they had gotten in their shipment of Dispatch's Psyvariar Delta and was told to come back on 7/23/19 to pick it up. Will check to see if they have in stock or not. It's cool to boot up the original Taito G-Card versions of Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision from time to time for ol' times sake.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

I managed to find a copy of this at Best Buy yesterday, so anyone looking maybe give them a try.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

My PS4 version arrived, and I have a question for others who ordered from Dispatch's store and got their shipment: we were told that the "Blanche" DLC voucher would be included on a piece of paper, not on the disc, but I don't see a code included anywhere, either in the shipping box or the game case itself. There is a "Thanks for ordering" postcard and a "City Connection x Dispatch" decal, but no DLC as far as I can tell; I won't be able to play the game until this weekend, so is the DLC indeed on the disc, or am I just missing something obvious here?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I didn't even think about that, but those are the only two pieces of "paper" I received too. I booted it up for a quick minute last night but didn't notice anything. I'll try digging around too.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I received a small postcard with the Blanche DLC code on it. Hopefully you saved the packaging; try looking through it again? :(

I will say that playing this game on anything but the Hori pad is a bridge too far. Maybe because I'm used to playing it on my Hori Fighting Commander on PC, but it feels the most natural.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah my Switch copy had a small business card that had the DLC code printed on it, its not in the game case itself or anything.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ah man, ordered my copy from Play-Asia since no stores nearby had one in stock... and no DLC card came with it. My copy had the "foil" cover, but I don't know if that's really supposed be the LE or not. Seems like all copies have the same foil cover?

Still, it's a solid port and a nice upgrade from my PS2 copy. Gave me an excuse to dust off the FlipGrip too.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

drunkninja24 wrote:Yeah my Switch copy had a small business card that had the DLC code printed on it, its not in the game case itself or anything.
mine did not :(

p.s. whatup drunkninja!!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

RawlingGunnar wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Fairly early 1cc? Did you get the requirements for the final boss? Half the stages don't appear if you aren't getting proper leveling out of the stages :mrgreen:
Well, I didn't say TLB1LC, did I? I played it and beat it in 1 credit, on normal-difficulty stages. Of course there's more to it :roll:
What is the level requirement to unlock the other stages? I had the same experience of just blowing through the "core" game, but I've forgotten the tricks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Jonpachi wrote: What is the level requirement to unlock the other stages? I had the same experience of just blowing through the "core" game, but I've forgotten the tricks.
Wikipedia has a surprisingly detailed list of level requirements/etc. It must have been written by a true fan. 8)

You'll want to be ~60 by the time you are finishing the Volcano stage (2-D) to get to the first X stage, Photon (X-A). You could probably get that at the Valley stage but I am less well-versed in its buzzing opportunities.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

EmperorIng wrote:
Jonpachi wrote: What is the level requirement to unlock the other stages? I had the same experience of just blowing through the "core" game, but I've forgotten the tricks.
Wikipedia has a surprisingly detailed list of level requirements/etc. It must have been written by a true fan. 8)

You'll want to be ~60 by the time you are finishing the Volcano stage (2-D) to get to the first X stage, Photon (X-A). You could probably get that at the Valley stage but I am less well-versed in its buzzing opportunities.
Whoa, that's a nice surprise! I would have likely never checked wikipedia for this type of info. Thanks!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok, let's talk about that Cybattler DLC for a minute:

1) The mech's name is Blanche? Like the Golden Girls character?
2) Three out of four of the directional shots are basically useless. I suppose there are a few instances where the left and right shots might get you out of a jam, or catch an enemy that's entering/leaving from the side, but not often. The reverse shot is kinda just there because it was in the OG arcade game. It really begs the question of why this character was included when the core gameplay of Psyvariar has very little synergy with the character's source material.
3) There's very poor/no visual feedback for rolling. Again, why is this character in the game when its visual design doesn't allow for an animation that's core to the gameplay?
4) It's easy mode. The shield recharges quickly enough that you're basically getting a free extra life every minute if you can hang in there. This may explain why they thought it was worth the inclusion.
5) It's $4.99 on the NA eshop for just this one character.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Jonpachi wrote:Ok, let's talk about that Cybattler DLC for a minute:

1) The mech's name is Blanche? Like the Golden Girls character?
2) Three out of four of the directional shots are basically useless. I suppose there are a few instances where the left and right shots might get you out of a jam, or catch an enemy that's entering/leaving from the side, but not often. The reverse shot is kinda just there because it was in the OG arcade game. It really begs the question of why this character was included when the core gameplay of Psyvariar has very little synergy with the character's source material.
3) There's very poor/no visual feedback for rolling. Again, why is this character in the game when its visual design doesn't allow for an animation that's core to the gameplay?
4) It's easy mode. The shield recharges quickly enough that you're basically getting a free extra life every minute if you can hang in there. This may explain why they thought it was worth the inclusion.
5) It's $4.99 on the NA eshop for just this one character.
Yep...
There are some instances where enemies come at you from behind in the Delta stages, it's fun to deal with them either with the stock ships or this ship that can shoot behind.
However the highlight of this release is definitely the Delta stages themselves, whether they were made with player input or the devs were just very inspired, they're a lot of fun.

No idea what's coming next as far as content, hopefully there is something. Maybe check this for hints https://twitter.com/ore808?lang=en
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I wrote Dispatch back in late July asking them to look into the missing promised DLC voucher from my copy of Psyvariar Delta I ordered from their store; the next day they replied and said they were working on it. It's now been a month since then, and despite repeated follow-up requests from me there has been total radio silence from them.

I don't know if Dispatch is just such a mess that they've somehow legitimately lost track of this issue, or whether they deliberately sent the "yup, we're totally on the job, just sit on back" message with no actual intention of taking action in hopes I'd forget about it, but either way methinks that, if they even manage to stay in business as it is, they're not seeing another penny from me.