UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - 2021-01-30 UPDATE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dax

Re: UltraHDMI group-buy ROUND 7 - accepting participants

Post by Dax »

I will admit it is frustrating to not have much contact from Marshall, since he's the only one who knows how to produce these, but I'm not concerned. We'll get them eventually, peeps! I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
Balleratt

Post by Balleratt »

I paid the price for my pre-modded Ultra HDMI N64...but it was all worth it and then some! I mean this is some kind of black magic stuff, and the N64 games looks absolutely bonkers on my Sony AF9 65" Bringing the N64 over to HDMI along with GameCube via the EON MK-2 HDMI adapter is a decision I just can't regret 8)

EDIT: Did not read topic well, But I just wanted to spread my joy for this thing anyways 8)
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Balleratt wrote:I paid the price for my pre-modded Ultra HDMI N64...but it was all worth it and then some! I mean this is some kind of black magic stuff, and the N64 games looks absolutely bonkers on my Sony AF9 65" Bringing the N64 over to HDMI along with GameCube via the EON MK-2 HDMI adapter is a decision I just can't regret 8)

EDIT: Did not read topic well, But I just wanted to spread my joy for this thing anyways 8)
Yup! I really appreciate that such a thing exists, even if UltraHDMI is so difficult to obtain.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Balleratt wrote:I paid the price for my pre-modded Ultra HDMI N64...but it was all worth it and then some! I mean this is some kind of black magic stuff, and the N64 games looks absolutely bonkers on my Sony AF9 65" Bringing the N64 over to HDMI along with GameCube via the EON MK-2 HDMI adapter is a decision I just can't regret 8)

Yup, I did consider getting in on one of these order groups, but in the end paid the extra and just got my own ready modded console about a year back. Can’t sing the praises of the Ultra HDMI enough - just to see all my old favourites on my 55’ LG is something to behold :) hope everyone gets their order soon.
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Gametech just tweeted that Marshall contacted them and their kits are on the way this week.
Hopefully that’s good forecasting for us.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

TonyCheckraise wrote:Gametech just tweeted that Marshall contacted them and their kits are on the way this week.
Yes! Ours should be from the same production batch as the Game-Tech.US 100 pre-orders he sold through the "lottery" system -- so I also expect to receive ours soon!
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Ichinisan wrote:
TonyCheckraise wrote:Gametech just tweeted that Marshall contacted them and their kits are on the way this week.
Yes! Ours should be from the same production batch as the Game-Tech.US 100 pre-orders he sold through the "lottery" system -- so I also expect to receive ours soon!
Perfect!
audiohacked

Post by audiohacked »

Hi,

I was part of Round 5, and I loved installing the Kit and playing my N64 console. Thanks Ichinisan!

As soon as I have some disposable income, I plan on buying more kits.

Regards,
Audiohacked

P.S. Thanks Ichinisan for organizing this!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Semi-update for round 6 / 7:
Still no shipping confirmation from Marshall for the round 6 order we submitted March 14. @GameTechUS has received his 100 "lottery" kits from the same production batch, so I expect to receive a shipping notice for our round 6 kits any moment now. On July 2, I received an "order complete" email from Game-Tech.US for the "lottery" kit I ordered on April 5, so I contacted Marshall to ask if there was a status update for my March 14 order. He responded quickly and said our order should ship "in the next few days."

I'll be watching for the shipment notice from RetroActive. When that comes through, I will submit the round 7 order ASAP!
SinnerOG

Post by SinnerOG »

Ichinisan wrote:Semi-update for round 6 / 7:
Still no shipping confirmation from Marshall for the round 6 order we submitted March 14. @GameTechUS has received his 100 "lottery" kits from the same production batch, so I expect to receive a shipping notice for our round 6 kits any moment now. On July 2, I received an "order complete" email from Game-Tech.US for the "lottery" kit I ordered on April 5, so I contacted Marshall to ask if there was a status update for my March 14 order. He responded quickly and said our order should ship "in the next few days."

I'll be watching for the shipment notice from RetroActive. When that comes through, I will submit the round 7 order ASAP!
Awesome! Thanks for the update!
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Any updates on this? It’s been a few few days.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

TonyCheckraise wrote:Any updates on this? It’s been a few few days.
Nothing. I sent Marshall a message earlier this afternoon. Hopefully he will respond with some kind of shipping confirmation.
Dax

Post by Dax »

I wonder if Marshall would ever consider assigning some trusted peeps to the production side of things to speed things up a little. I understand why the whole production is so mysterious (him not wanting his design secrets revealed, etc.) but since the UltraHDMI is objectively the best option to producing the best quality for our N64s and the demand being obviously high because of it, its production seems to be bottle-necked by a one man operation.

My friends and I are still super excited to receive our kits, but at the rate production/shipping seems to be going, it looks like we won't be getting them (Round 7) until December or later. I just wish we heard more detailed/frequent word as to what was happening on that end.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Dax wrote:I wonder if Marshall would ever consider assigning some trusted peeps to the production side of things to speed things up a little. I understand why the whole production is so mysterious (him not wanting his design secrets revealed, etc.) but since the UltraHDMI is objectively the best option to producing the best quality for our N64s and the demand being obviously high because of it, its production seems to be bottle-necked by a one man operation.
Yup. Multiple times I've offered to fly to his town and help with the tedious stuff. He probably doesn't think I'm really serious about it. I literally say "I'm serious."
Dax wrote:My friends and I are still super excited to receive our kits, but at the rate production/shipping seems to be going, it looks like we won't be getting them (Round 7) until December or later. I just wish we heard more detailed/frequent word as to what was happening on that end.
Yeah. I never received an explanation for why it took 12 weeks to receive the kits for round 5. Now it's even longer to receive the kits for round 6 (still waiting). Marshall once said "turn time is 5 weeks" over a year ago but apparently that is no longer achievable. He is probably just far too busy. I'll order as many as we can from each batch even if those batches take a long time. I'm sure it's less work for Marshall to send larger orders to a few buyers (versus smaller orders to many buyers). I believe that's why he removed the public ordering page that used to let anyone order 3+ units back in 2016. Hopefully Marshall will find a way to increase production in the future. I'm still willing to go to his town and help out if he'll give me the "go ahead."

I actually ordered 80 units back on March 14 (70+ for group-buy participants and the rest for myself). I wanted to order 100 units, but Marshall told me that was too many for the small production batch he was planning. Then, Jason / Game-Tech.US announced 100 pre-orders given out by the "lottery" system. So this batch would need to be at least 180 units. It's probably closer to 200 because Marshall always identifies some defects. I signed up for the Game-Tech.US lottery. Then I was selected and paid immediately on April 5. I received the "lottery" kit more than a week ago, but I'm still waiting for the 80 units I ordered from RetroActive on March 14.

In my June 13 conversation with Marshall, I told him again that I'm ready to order at least 200 kits -- but I also told him I'm waiting to get shipping confirmation from the March 14 order. I hoped that would encourage him to finish the outstanding orders and get started on the next batch ASAP. Based on his replies, it seemed to have the intended effect -- so I'm surprised Game-Tech.US actually got kits first.

I contacted Marshall two nights ago and asked if he was still working on the order. He responded immediately, but only said "yeah"

I have a bunch of N64s here ready to be upgraded. I'll be watching very closely for that shipping confirmation!
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:I have a bunch of N64s here ready to be upgraded. I'll be watching very closely for that shipping confirmation!
Thanks for your detailed response, dude. You can only do so much, I totally understand that.

I still commend you a hell of a lot for organising such a large group buy with only little responses in return from the supplier. That takes patience. You're clearly dedicated and it'd be great if he took you up on your offer for lightening production load for him. On behalf of everyone waiting, you deserve a huge thanks from all of us, so thanks a tonne, man.

Marshall likely has his own reasons for things taking this long, but it sadly doesn't make it any less frustrating. All we can hope for is things improving, I guess.
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Dax wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:I have a bunch of N64s here ready to be upgraded. I'll be watching very closely for that shipping confirmation!
Thanks for your detailed response, dude. You can only do so much, I totally understand that.

I still commend you a hell of a lot for organising such a large group buy with only little responses in return from the supplier. That takes patience. You're clearly dedicated and it'd be great if he took you up on your offer for lightening production load for him. On behalf of everyone waiting, you deserve a huge thanks from all of us, so thanks a tonne, man.

Marshall likely has his own reasons for things taking this long, but it sadly doesn't make it any less frustrating. All we can hope for is things improving, I guess.
This is a good point. I know I’ve voiced my frustration about the time but I’d like to be clear that my frustration isn’t with Ichinisan in the least. Putting together a large group buy is a hassle and we appreciate the effort. That being said, MARSHALL I WILL FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE AND COME STEAL MY PAID-FOR KIT lol. I feel bad for the people who have to still wait to have them installed, at least I am managing that part myself so all I need are the parts
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Dax wrote:

Thanks!

1.5 years ago I thought it would take only a few rounds to satisfy most of the demand, but there's still no end in sight!

TonyCheckraise wrote:... That being said, MARSHALL I WILL FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE AND COME STEAL MY PAID-FOR KIT lol. I feel bad for the people who have to still wait to have them installed, at least I am managing that part myself so all I need are the parts
LOL grab a 64drive cart + UltraSave while you're there! ;)
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

....... do I even need to type what this message is about at this point?
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

TonyCheckraise wrote:....... do I even need to type what this message is about at this point?
Another week will make it 5 months since the round 6 kits were ordered on March 14.

It seems to me that there weren't enough kits in the last batch. That's just my intuition. Marshall hasn't actually said so. My 80-unit order (70+ for group-buy round 6 and the rest for myself) really should have been completed before the Game-Tech.US order of 100 units for the "lottery" pre-orders. I figure my order was submitted and paid-for at least 3 weeks before the Game-Tech.US order, so I don't understand why the Game-Tech.US order was completed first.

A couple days ago I specifically asked Marshall if there were enough kits from the last batch. He still hadn't responded when I checked the conversation earlier this morning. He must have had a bunch of kits on-hand when he commented a month ago that the kits would ship "in the next few days." Maybe a lot of them failed testing, but still it would be nice if he could ship at least part of the order.

When I hear something from Marshall, I will pass it along.
SinnerOG

Post by SinnerOG »

Really poor entrepreneurship on Marshall's part. Starting to get anxious if we will ever get them honestly, you think he'd at least have the decency to give more frequent and specific updates.
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

SinnerOG wrote:Really poor entrepreneurship on Marshall's part. Starting to get anxious if we will ever get them honestly, you think he'd at least have the decency to give more frequent and specific updates.
Yeah I think we all understand that the manufacturing and testing processes have speed bumps and whatnot. I just can’t believe the lack of communication. According to gametechUS’ twitter, their order shipped before the 4th of July. Also according to their twitter, on 6/25 they had tweeted that Marshall was preparing to ship their order and that they didn’t know when the next pre order would be because Marshall was working on the next hardware revision. So who knows at this point what the deal is. What I gather is that if there weren’t enough units for this round, then we’re going to be stuck waiting for a whole new hardware revision.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

SinnerOG wrote:... Starting to get anxious if we will ever get them honestly, you think he'd at least have the decency to give more frequent and specific updates.
TonyCheckraise wrote:Yeah I think we all understand that the manufacturing and testing processes have speed bumps and whatnot. I just can’t believe the lack of communication. According to gametechUS’ twitter, their order shipped before the 4th of July. Also according to their twitter, on 6/25 they had tweeted that Marshall was preparing to ship their order and that they didn’t know when the next pre order would be because Marshall was working on the next hardware revision. So who knows at this point what the deal is. What I gather is that if there weren’t enough units for this round, then we’re going to be stuck waiting for a whole new hardware revision.
I made contact with Marshall again last night. He just returned from an out-of-state business trip.

He said he just got his "burn jigs" set up again and now he just needs to find the boards to start programming them. So it sounds like Marshall still has boards on-hand and we aren't waiting for another production batch to be completed. That's a relief! I hope that means I'll get shipping confirmation in a few days.

I'm still kinda surprised these boards weren't programmed all-at-once along with the 100 units for Game-Tech.US -- probably would have been less work to set up just one time for programming all the kits from a batch. He puts an installer / purchaser ID on the boards, so maybe he tries to make sure nothing gets crossed by programming / testing / shipping an order before moving on to the next.
Last edited by Ichinisan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Problem is that Marshall wants to have too much control of the process end-to-end and he becomes the bottleneck.

I understand you don't want others to copy you, but paranoid much? Successful companies become successful because they trust their employees; especially those that have been with them for a long time.

This is an unfortunate problem that seems to plague our retro community scene far too often (Ultra HDMI, GDEMU, Rhea/Phoebe, USB-GDROM, ...) All great products, controlled by individuals with 0 brain cells for business and customer support in their head.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Jason from Game Tech seems to handle most of the distribution anyhow, why doesn't Marshall just have him handle the testing/flashing/packing like Jason already does for the hidefnes? Then batch sizes wouldn't have to be limited to small amounts due to Marshall's free time.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Guspaz wrote:Jason from Game Tech seems to handle most of the distribution anyhow, why doesn't Marshall just have him handle the testing/flashing/packing like Jason already does for the hidefnes? Then batch sizes wouldn't have to be limited to small amounts due to Marshall's free time.
I'd be more than happy to take on those responsibilities! :)

Jason is in Indiana, I'm in Georgia, and Marshall is in Kansas. I've told Marshall more than once that I'll gladly fly out there and handle all the tedious stuff! Not just programming / testing / packing / shipping -- if he shows me how I'd even handle scheduling production with manufacturers and parts acquisition.

Anyway, I don't think Marshall really needs help distributing them since there are enough buyers who will gladly order as many as they can get (Game-Tech.US, Video Game Perfection I think, RetroAsia, this group-buy, and others). If Marshall keeps making bulk shipments to his biggest buyers UltraHDMIs will filter down to the people who want them. He just needs to keep making them.

From what I can tell, Dan Kunz (citrus3000psi) has been doing a great job making DCHDMI and other kits without absurd wait times. It would sure be nice if everyone else could do that!
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

I just got the shipping confirmation email for the March 14 order of 80 kits! (70+ for group-buy round 6 and the rest for myself)

I will contact each individual round 6 participant ASAP.

I'll process some of the round 7 inquiries I have already received and send out a few "last call" emails and consolidate the final payments, then I'll place the round 7 order ASAP!
TonyCheckraise

Post by TonyCheckraise »

Ichinisan wrote:I just got the shipping confirmation email for the March 14 order of 80 kits! (70+ for group-buy round 6 and the rest for myself)

I'll process some of the round 7 inquiries I have already received and send out a few "last call" emails and consolidate the final payments, then I'll place the round 7 order ASAP!
BLESS THE LORRRRD
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ichinisan wrote:I just got the shipping confirmation email for the March 14 order of 80 kits! (70+ for group-buy round 6 and the rest for myself)

Woah! Hell yeah, progress! That's awesome to hear. I'm on the round seven list, so I expect it'll still be a long while, but I'm happy to hear things are moving along.

Is it safe to assume that round seven might be the Rev. 2 boards at this point, since it looks like they haven't been put into production yet? Super curious to find out.
CZroe

Post by CZroe »

Ichinisan wrote: I made contact with Marshall again last night. He just returned from an out-of-state business trip.
Ah, so it wasn't just the Vintage Computer Fest West that drew him away from the task at hand. ;)
Dax wrote:Is it safe to assume that round seven might be the Rev. 2 boards at this point, since it looks like they haven't been put into production yet? Super curious to find out.
Tough to say. He has indicated that multiple HW1 batches in the past were likely the last batch of HW1... even been saying this since before it was public that he was working on a HW2! I'm not even sure it is supposed to be public but GameTech started talking about it when the last we had heard was that we weren't supposed to say anything yet.

AFAIK, it's still functionally identical except that it supports an optional analog add-on board. This means HW2 should be a direct substitute. Unfortunately, the flex is being updated so you likely can't just switch boards if you want the RGB-expandable version. Not sure what is changing there but, at the very least, IGR will finally be on the same connection.

Yay! No more tethering otherwise-disconnectable boards! ;) /S

Yeah, not really that exciting... especially since I typically make my IGR connection with a disconnect anyway.

Edit: Oh! I guess I should mention that Ichinisan got the kits today. He's knee-deep in testing them with a known-good install right now so he'll probably be busy until late tonight/early AM. I'm sure he'll update you himself soon.
Ichinisan

Post by Ichinisan »

Round 6 update! I opened the package on video and all 76 kits tested fine. There should have been 80 kits, but 4 were missing!

There were some strange gaps and overlaps in the serial numbers that made it difficult to sort them, but I noted which 4 were missing and Marshall said they are on the way to me in another package. I already received enough kits for group-buy round 6 (planning to use the rest as inventory when I launch WeStillPlay.com).

I'm packing and shipping the kit-only (no install) orders right now!
Last edited by Ichinisan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.