Pawarumi, new SHMUP from 2018

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
syveL

Re: Pawarumi, new SHMUP from 2018

Post by syveL »

Thanks for the response! I'm going to wait for the hard copy. I don't really care about the superplay, because figuring out the patterns yourself is half the fun.
MsK` wrote:I was suggested though to at least provide the choice between 1080p 30fps and 720p 60 fps in docked mode, what do you guys think about that option?
That would be nice, but maybe aim for 900p.
Good Luck!
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

MsK` wrote:
syveL wrote:Hey Pawarumi Dev. I saw this game on the upcoming section of the e-shop; looks cool. I have a couple of questions.
Have you downgraded the graphics enough since April to hit 60fps on the Switch?
Are the controls reconfigurable, for arcade sticks? The game also seems like it could be a 3-button shooter instead of 4. (Hit all three for super attack.)
Are you planning a physical release with a company like Limited Run, Play Asia, or some other?

edit:
4 buttons insteam of 5; I saw that there is a brake button. I think that 5 buttons is pushing it; I don't like using my pinky.
I don't "downgrade" the graphics, I optimize them! The game is almost as pretty on switch than on xbox one haha! But no, I was too busy working on the publishing of the game, I didn't have time yet to get another look at the latest developments on unity's side for the switch. I'll get to that after the switch/xbox release. If I finally manage to get a stable 60fps, there will be an update. I was suggested though to at least provide the choice between 1080p 30fps and 720p 60 fps in docked mode, what do you guys think about that option? I actually didn't check if running in 720p did provide a smooth 60fps but that would be an option.

All the action buttons are remappable so yes, your arcade stick will be fine! But the game does indeed play with 5 buttons, pushing all 3 attack buttons won't trigger the super attack. Well, I've seen people play with highscores without using the brake button so you can try that :D

A physical release is planned but nothing to announce there yet. Well except that I would really love to have a superplay dvd with it. Start scoring hard people! If that happen I will probably hold a contest to make the videos for that dvd! (with cash prize)
GFoyle wrote:Weird that it hasn't shown up on europe eshop coming soon section yet, I would think it would be released on same date here.
It's just that Nintendo of Europe is quite small and super busy. They haven't validated the page yet.
kassj0peja wrote:It is only 15 dollars for Switch. I hope it will be released on Xbox soon too.
Yup. Pre-orders will start in a few weeks actually!
I prefer 60FPS even if it has to be 720P in docked mode. 30FPS does not feel right in a shmup. Please release running at least 60FPS and this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Thanks
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Hey btw, we released a new trailer recently! It features the switch exclusive "Joyful" ship skin. A skin that takes on the color of your joy-cons ^^ (I'm so proud of that silly thing :p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yUM6axVJ-o
Dodge the bullet, save the world.
Working on Pawarumi, check it out!
My twitter | Manufacture 43's Twitter
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Maybe I will finally pick up your game now that it's on the Switch.
I really respect you guys for pursuing a novel aesthetic.
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Thanks! I sincerely appreciate :)
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Cooking is finished, a fresh Pawarumi is now available on Xbox Ones and Switches near you haha :D
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Great, I will buy it on Xbox. Is there Playanywhere planned?
Winane

Post by Winane »

Pawarumi's itch.io page says the game (or maybe just the page?) was updated 14 days ago (July 11, 2019), but the download page still lists each file as being from Jul 09, 2018. :?
Will the itch.io version be getting an update soonish?
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Yep, sorry, I updated the steam version and forgot about the kickstarter drm free and itch.io drm free versions. Will update ASAP!
kassj0peja wrote:Great, I will buy it on Xbox. Is there Playanywhere planned?
Is that the Xbox One + Windows 10 thingy? We don't have a Windows 10 / Windows Store version, so, unfortunately, no.
Winane

Post by Winane »

Yay, thanks!
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

Pawarumi PS4 will see a physical release from EastAsiaSoft / Play-Asia.

Did the console editions get significant new features from the original PC release? Like new modes, accessibility options, etc? I'm hoping at least the PS4 disc is fully-patched.
system11

Post by system11 »

Aaand - that's ordered. Physical releases FTW.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Yeah, I slept on the digital version on Steam, but I'm down for physical copy for PS4!
Hope it does great for the dev team.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I preordered it as well. This is one I'd probably have to put a lot of time into, but it's been so well reviewed, I figured I might as well jump on it.
pressureworld

Post by pressureworld »

I'm also excited for the physical release and plan to order soon. It looks like a cool game.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Giving Pawarumi a second chance here. What hits me over and over is that after the first run, all the story cutscenes and cinematic camera zooms are just wasting my time. I want to spend my time shooting things with your interesting color match system. An option to autoskip all of that would be appreciated.
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

US PS4 Release has landed, I repeat, US PS4 Release has landed.

JP Release coming on Friday. Awaiting on partner for EU Release.

Over.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... 0000000000
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Quick question: I backed the KS and opted for the physical PC disc. I still have the email from way back when which had a link to re-download the game - which I was told to use once the game had received updates - but it no longer works. Is there any other means for me to update my copy of the game?
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Oh, I'll check what's wrong and fix this asap! Could you please pm me your e-mai? The one you used on kickstarter when you backed the game.

Edit: fixed.
Last edited by MsK` on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Play Asia has started shipping copies of the game as of today, just FYI.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ordered! I have been forgetting to pre-order this one from PA, so I'm glad I didn't miss the physical copy before they sell out. Thanks for the update!
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Hey, I was wondering, to anyone who played it: what's your favorite part or thing in the game?
guigui

Post by guigui »

Physical PA arrived this week, nice.

The game is also on sale on the Switch EU Eshop at 7.5€ (-50%).
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
auryn

Post by auryn »

MsK` wrote:Hey, I was wondering, to anyone who played it: what's your favorite part or thing in the game?
In terms of spectacle I love the part in level 3 where stone gate opens and all those tiny fighters swarm out. Level 3 boss with the ball game was also a fun find. Currently stuck in level 4, haven't managed to reach level 5 yet.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

There's a review of the Switch version on Metacritic that claims it runs at 30 fps. I have the PS4 version arriving from PA today, and I do hope that's not the case with that one as well. Can we confirm 60 fps on PS4 and PC?
auryn

Post by auryn »

Jonpachi wrote:Can we confirm 60 fps on PS4 and PC?
60 fps on PC here for sure. IIRC there's a comment on the previous page from the dev about FPS on Switch
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

Only the Switch version is locked at 30FPS. There is a mod/hack that unlocks the capping and overclocks the system, I wouldn't thrust that thing, it's not that easy. I have a version where all levels but the desert level are optimized and run at 60FPS. I want to finish my work and get the desert level at 60FPS too before releasing it. To achieve 60FPS on Space and Desert I also added dynamic resolution. The resolution will drop up to 30% to maintain 60FPS. On the Space level it happens like 3 times for an instant, otherwise it's pretty solid. I hope I can get the same on the Desert level :)

The PS4 version runs at 1920x1080 on 60FPS. On PS4Pro it's also 60FPS but at a resolution of 2.5K or 3K. I don't remember exactly on which settings we settled in end.

Xbox One is also at 60FPS and in 4K on Xbox One X.

The PC version is completely unlocked so it should even run at 120FPS on fast enough monitors. I never tested though.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

MsK` wrote:Only the Switch version is locked at 30FPS. There is a mod/hack that unlocks the capping and overclocks the system, I wouldn't thrust that thing, it's not that easy. I have a version where all levels but the desert level are optimized and run at 60FPS. I want to finish my work and get the desert level at 60FPS too before releasing it. To achieve 60FPS on Space and Desert I also added dynamic resolution. The resolution will drop up to 30% to maintain 60FPS. On the Space level it happens like 3 times for an instant, otherwise it's pretty solid. I hope I can get the same on the Desert level :)

The PS4 version runs at 1920x1080 on 60FPS. On PS4Pro it's also 60FPS but at a resolution of 2.5K or 3K. I don't remember exactly on which settings we settled in end.

Xbox One is also at 60FPS and in 4K on Xbox One X.

The PC version is completely unlocked so it should even run at 120FPS on fast enough monitors. I never tested though.
Thanks! On a PS4Pro so I'm excited to finally see it in action tonight.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Some first impressions:

- Gameplay visuals are great, and I actually really enjoy the camera work in certain sections - it really does make it feel more epic and alive.

- The core system of colors is both a strength and a weakness. I enjoy making the decision to put myself in some danger to refill my shield when in need, and it feels good to tear into a group of enemies with the right alternate color. Yet, the value of going for Crush over Drain for score is not super clear, and the HUD is just HUGE. I took a few hits when my ship went behind all of it, and I wish some of those elements were reduced, and/or placed somewhere more outside the main play space. I find myself fighting to keep my ship away from them, and that's pretty frustrating.

- That stage 3 boss is an interesting test for the player, and I get that you want a midway point where you stop and really make sure the player understands the systems before ramping the difficulty, but man... there does not seem to be much of a way to brute force it, and it is super tedious if you mess up too many times. I found it frustrating to have to read text to know what to do correctly, and the terms still don't really make sense to me. "Drain" seems like it should be for shield and "Boost" seems like it should be for the super attack. Totally subjective, but those two kept getting crossed in my brain. Why not just use "Shield" and "Attack" and "Score" instead of arcane terms I have to remember?

- Overall super solid though, and I do intend to stick with it to at least 1CC it on Normal. Well worth the price of admission for the physical copy, and it's always a joy to get something new and really different on the scene.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Nobody else really playing this one? I've dedicated myself to finishing it, since it's one of those games that requires such specific muscle memory that I fear it would be hard to pick back up again if I don't. I got to the last boss last night, whom I've beaten in training, but I bungled the moving laser field going in, and was on my last bit of health. I should have just gone for it as-is, but I gambled on Boosting to increase my shield and that did me in. SO CLOSE!