PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mainpatr5

PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by mainpatr5 »

https://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=s9_acss_ ... 6974564051

American gamers can finally play Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire without paying hundreds of dollars! For the PC-Engine mini, coming out next year.
EmperorIng

Re: PC Engine Mini games list,includes SAPPHIRE!

Post by EmperorIng »

The Japanese line-up is so much better it's not even funny. Who are they duping with the turbo games? Chew Man Fu instead of Castlevania? Yeah, my demand is frothing. :roll:

EDIT: good thing you can have both... on both versions of the system?
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

Keep in mind that both the Japanese and US line-up are included in the same console, no matter the region.

The only exception is Tokimeki Memorial, which is exclusive to the PC-Engine Mini. Instead, those who go with the Turbografx-16 Mini will get Salamander.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Huh, interesting. How exactly does this work? In the US version, are the Japanese games hidden somewhere?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Marc

Post by Marc »

Crap, if all regions include all games, then that's a seriously impressive line up!
Isn't one of those screen shots Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.... Super Grafx GnG?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yes, Aldynes is also on there. Regular PC Engines, the SuperGrafx, and all three grades of the CD-ROM² are considered to be the same platform.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Huh, interesting. How exactly does this work? In the US version, are the Japanese games hidden somewhere?
Oh they're not hidden or anything.

https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/us/en/

As the website states, there are 24 Turbografx-16 games and 26 PC-Engine games for a grand total of 50.
Special World

Post by Special World »

No Gate of Thunder? Was that a CD only game?

That's a great lineup, but man, Gate of Thunder is my favorite one!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Marc

Post by Marc »

I presume the thing will be just as easy to crack as the SNES mini though. Once I've supported the company by buying the actual hardware, I've no qualms about adding other stuff that's unlikely to be made available any other way.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Really solid line-up indeed. I had a PC Engine Duo-R ~10 years ago and quite a few of the games listed here, so I'll be picking this up and diving back into that world for a spin.

If there's anything I'd have wished to be included, it's Nexzr and the aforementioned Gate of Thunder.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I just baaaaarely talked myself out buying a Duo-R I stumbled onto in a retro import shop last week. So glad I held out! This line-up is amazing. I kinda want all three variants.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've had no interest in 'mini' consoles so far, but I'm definitely buying that one. *drool*
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
FRO

Post by FRO »

I will most likely be investing in this. Tons of good shmups included, alongside a relatively strong lineup, otherwise. For a legal, legit way to play many of these games w/o spending a fortune, I'm totally on board.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Lords over Gate is very strange to me. Surely if you recognize one they both deserve to be in there? And IF picking just one, Gate would seem to have more straightforward appeal, no?

Shame that the licensing changes over the years preclude inclusion of the NEC logo on the Japanese pads. Just doesn't look right, or feel right that a classic reissue should lose the branding the machine always carried.

Love the way they shoehorned 2P support in by "stacking" USB ports where the original round connector used to be. That's a nice touch!

**edit** seems they're making Sony's mistake and charging $99 (without even including the second pad if I'm correct)? Bad mistake..
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

bigbadboaz wrote:charging $99 (without even including the second pad if I'm correct)? Bad mistake..
'K, buy sapphire for 99.00 or less... can't be done. Since this is real life, this lineup is actually more than worth 99 bucks. Heck on Sapphire alone, it's worth 300.00 for all three variants... which then would give you three pads.
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The quality of emulation and hackability will quickly define the value though, and we don't know much about that yet, don't we ?

I mean just look at how expensive and complicated a fully working NEC setup can be, whether you go for the actual full-hardware or SSDS3 solutions.

If the Mini's any good and exploitable then $99 is nothing.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

RawlingGunnar wrote:'K, buy sapphire for 99.00 or less... can't be done. Since this is real life
The point - which was fairly obvious - is that Sony just took on a massive loss by pricing at that level. Konami could have trouble selling acceptable amounts, regardless of what niche people like you or me think the library is worth.

Save the attitude.
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

I just don't see this thing doing very well. The question is whether it'll be overproduced and the price will crash, or whether konami will give up fast and the limited quantity will be snatched up by scalpers?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Yeah, I don't see the PC-Engine being a super popular buy for America and Europe. But they're probably counting on Japan for the bulk and then some preorders from the other regions to give it a little boost.

The problem with the Sony machine is that the lineup of games was crap and everyone knew it. As somebody who's not a huge PC-Engine gamer, this one is missing Gate of Thunder and Devil Crush, and that's all I can think of. Except the middle Star Soldier game, right? I'm sure there's a legion list for fans, but I could think of a billion obvious omissions from the PSX one. It was an awful lineup. Even when they chose the right series, they chose the wrong game. This lineup? It's quite good.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Special World wrote:The problem with the Sony machine is that the lineup of games was crap and everyone knew it. As somebody who's not a huge PC-Engine gamer, this one is missing Gate of Thunder and Devil Crush, and that's all I can think of. Except the middle Star Soldier game, right? I'm sure there's a legion list for fans, but I could think of a billion obvious omissions from the PSX one. It was an awful lineup. Even when they chose the right series, they chose the wrong game. This lineup? It's quite good.
Sony also randomly mixed and matched NTSC and PAL versions of software, they used an off-the-net emulator instead of a custom in-house one, the options on the unit were bare-bones, nearly all the games suffered from very noticeable input lag... the list goes on and on. The $99 price point was the least of Sony's problems when it came to the PS Mini.
RawlingGunnar

Post by RawlingGunnar »

bigbadboaz wrote:The point - which was fairly obvious - is that Sony just took on a massive loss by pricing at that level. Konami could have trouble selling acceptable amounts, regardless of what niche people like you or me think the library is worth.
Wanna know what else is fairly obvious? The Playststion Classic lineup SUCKS like no other mini console to date.
bigbadboaz wrote:Save the attitude.
Lol take your own advice buddy >:D
IS THIS WORLD SPINNING AROUND
-
Should be "Trolling Gunner," amirite?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Sure the PS had other problems besides price. But both mini consoles that succeeded before it were priced well below it. There is simply no way to know if $99 is viable in this niche - under any circumstance - until someone else comes along and succeeds.

The TG-16 is FAR more niche than the original PlayStation. It remains surprising that Konami would set the price that high. Unless they know they'll get into the black with specialty sales numbers at $99/unit, they're taking a risk.

Of course, now that pricing is out for accessories, it really looks like they're just out of their god damn minds.
it290

Post by it290 »

Anyone know if it's possible to preorder the Japanese version anywhere? I definitely want this, but don't want that gross looking TG16 case.

Also, if anyone is interested in the Japanese version turbo controller or multitap, Amazon _does_ have those listed for preorder, oddly enough.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

it290 wrote:Anyone know if it's possible to preorder the Japanese version anywhere? I definitely want this, but don't want that gross looking TG16 case.

Also, if anyone is interested in the Japanese version turbo controller or multitap, Amazon _does_ have those listed for preorder, oddly enough.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07 ... 6974564051

Ships to the US.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

bigbadboaz wrote:Sure the PS had other problems besides price. But both mini consoles that succeeded before it were priced well below it. There is simply no way to know if $99 is viable in this niche - under any circumstance - until someone else comes along and succeeds.

The TG-16 is FAR more niche than the original PlayStation. It remains surprising that Konami would set the price that high. Unless they know they'll get into the black with specialty sales numbers at $99/unit, they're taking a risk.

Of course, now that pricing is out for accessories, it really looks like they're just out of their god damn minds.
The Neo Geo Mini originally released around the $110 mark and only included a charge cable and some decals. Controllers and a mini HDMI cable were all sold separately. SNK have released at least 6 variants of the unit stating that sales have been much higher than what they expected (they consider the "console" a success).

So yeah, the $100 price point has been tested. In the case of these mini consoles, if you release an appealing product containing respectable emulation and include a good selection of software, then the units will sell.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

if this turns out half as good as it sounds and if the games listed come to fruition, then Im all in.
it290

Post by it290 »

DejahThoris wrote:
it290 wrote:Anyone know if it's possible to preorder the Japanese version anywhere? I definitely want this, but don't want that gross looking TG16 case.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07 ... 6974564051

Ships to the US.
Thank you!
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
lkermel

Post by lkermel »

That's a really good line-up! I would have personally switched Psychosis with Magical Chase, and I'm really surprised they didn't include Gate of Thunder... more exclusives would have been awesome, I mean, the Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone ports are very good, but Coryoon or PC Genjin 3 would have been nicer picks I think. Still a great line up! May be the first 'mini' I purchase!
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Xyga wrote:The quality of emulation and hackability will quickly define the value though, and we don't know much about that yet, don't we ?

I mean just look at how expensive and complicated a fully working NEC setup can be, whether you go for the actual full-hardware or SSDS3 solutions.

If the Mini's any good and exploitable then $99 is nothing.
I'm fairly inclined to agree, but as someone who owns and has hacked the NES mini (obtained for $40) to play any console including PCE and PCE CD, among many others, AND to have external storage, this PCE Mini has limited value for me.

One of the main problems about hacking these is that while you'll likely be able to hack this and put every PCE card-based game ever made on the internal memory (they're usually around 512kb or so per ROM, so the entire library only ends up being about 100MB total,) there's probably going to be very little extra internal storage included in the device to put any more PCE CD games on here (which average around 200MB each,) which is where a lot of the console's best games really are. It's also questionable whether this will really get hacked or not, since it's mostly Western hacking communities who end up hacking these things, and let's face it; Westerners don't and never did give a shit about PCE/TG16.

Further than that, not only will a hack have to happen in general, but there will also have to be a more advanced hack to add additional USB storage in order to put more PCE CD games on here, so the chances of it seem somewhat slim given the lack of interest in the console in general. Hell, hackers even gave up on advancing the PS Mini hacks not long after it came out due to the storage expansion issue and obvious lack of people giving a shit about the device in general.

I'd like to be more hopeful about this, as I love the PCE aesthetic and controllers, but already having a hacked mini device that can play these (that rarely actually gets played in reality..) makes the value of this very little for me.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Of course, anyone could also just shove a Pi in the case and get even more (esp if 4)

Almost nothing is worth buying as a product nowadays, if you take into account everthing DIY, customized, or simply...a PC.

It doesn't have to make any sense, some people will buy them mini's because they don't want to bother with tinkering with hardware and software, 50 titles limit but no hassle.
And then there'll be the people who buy it to hack anyway, just because, and the design is cool. :mrgreen: