Why no 19XX?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SnotShot

Why no 19XX?

Post by SnotShot »

It seems that one of my favorite shoot em ups has remained stuck in some kind of unreleased limbo, I am talking about Capcom’s 19XX specifically. From what I have been able to gather it has never appeared on any of their compilation/classic collection releases over the years and actually with the upcoming release of that Capcom Home Arcade device later this year which includes formerly unreleased games like Progear, and 1944, it remains one of the only shoot em ups that Capcom has never bothered bringing to home console.

I’m not really sure what the problem is? At this point Capcom has released every other game in the 194X series in some form or another. It kinda is a bummer since I think it’s one of their finest shooters and one of my all time faves. Why do they continue to ignore it? I just find it a little odd? You’d think they would have just slapped it on one of their classic arcade compilations by now or at least made it available digitally.

I am aware that there are other titles like Warzard and Dimahoo that Capcom has equally ignored but there is a bit of a difference because those two are independent one off games and 19XX was already part of a long running and successful series, a series which continued on even after 19XX with a couple more games.

I had read that in a M2 poll of which game they should tackle next that 19XX rated very highly so could that be it? Is it because Capcom plans to do something with M2 concerning the game? Or is it that Capcom simply has zero interest in making it available?
bigbadboaz

Re: Why no 19XX?

Post by bigbadboaz »

Timing. When XX was contemporary anything 2D was getting dumped on in the mainstream; they likely didn't see enough incentive for home ports.

As for the Capcom Home Arcade, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing they didn't include anything TATE on the assumption the thing is going to be plugged into people's existing - horizontally oriented - living room sets. '44, as a vertizontal, makes sense in this context over XX.
SnotShot

Post by SnotShot »

bigbadboaz wrote:Timing. When XX was contemporary anything 2D was getting dumped on in the mainstream; they likely didn't see enough incentive for home ports.
Oh sure, I definitely understand that 19XX came out at a rough time for traditional 2d type games and Capcom probably didn't see the point bringing it to home console, but why haven't they released it since then? They have come out with multiple compilations both physical and digital over the years for many systems and still nothing. I mean, we've gotten some pretty obscure games from Capcom's catalog on those compilations yet they haven't bothered to include this game. As I mentioned they have now brought all of the other 194X games home in some way or another with the exception of 19XX, why has it been singled out for exclusion? I do realize that Progear and 1944 are locked behind a $260 device, but still, its something, and it may lead to another compilation down the line.

I know that no one can really answer this except for Capcom but I'm still left here wondering what they are waiting for? I guess I can only hope that maybe they do another collection similar to their Street Fighter Collection, with all the 194X games on it this time.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

SnotShot wrote:I know that no one can really answer this except for Capcom but I'm still left here wondering what they are waiting for?
Arcade accurate compilations are always nice but the best (and most lucrative?) compilations are the ones that come with a M2-style treatment (arrange modes, customizable parameters etc.) Capcom is fully aware that their titles are emulated to near perfection so a quick n dirty barebones job won't do these games justice.
The resources to do a proper compilation are either not there at the moment or Capcom decided to use them on titles with a broader appeal, like Street Fighter or even the Beat ’Em Up Bundle :wink:
I'm pretty sure there will be a Capcom shooters package somewhere down the line though...