PS2 Scart with noise rolling up the screen

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KevinPike

PS2 Scart with noise rolling up the screen

Post by KevinPike »

It's a little hard to explain, outside what I said from the title, so have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjokUtX ... e=youtu.be

I turned the sharpness all the way up to make it more visible, but even with sharpness off it is still visible.

I'm not sure what to make of it, other than maybe unclean power. I bought the cable (which is sync on luma) from Retro Access, and they were pretty good from what I heard.
fernan1234

Re: PS2 Scart with noise rolling up the screen

Post by fernan1234 »

This kind of rolling noise is almost always power-related. Are you using one of the consoles that has an external power supply?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Does this only happen with rgb scart? Try Composite to see if that still happens.
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

fernan1234 wrote:This kind of rolling noise is almost always power-related. Are you using one of the consoles that has an external power supply?
I'm using a 7000 series slim model that uses external power.
Taiyaki wrote:Does this only happen with rgb scart? Try Composite to see if that still happens.
I tried it with composite, and got the same result, if not more violent: https://youtu.be/50ud2usd-gM
So is this a problem in externally powered slim consoles or something? Can it be repaired?
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

No, he's saying that in all likelihood the problem is not the console but the power brick. Try swapping the power brick, but if at all possible try before you buy because it's not a guaranteed fix.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Yep, I'd bet a lot on it being the power brick. If it's a third party one then that's 100% the cause. If it's OEM then that'd be weird but probably just faulty.
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

fernan1234 wrote:Yep, I'd bet a lot on it being the power brick. If it's a third party one then that's 100% the cause. If it's OEM then that'd be weird but probably just faulty.
Yeah, it's an official. I'm trying a friend's tomorrow.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

You could also try plugging it into a different power socket, like if you have it plugged into the same powerstrip as the telly and hifi, try it in it's own socket.
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

Tried a friend's power brick, mine was just failing it seems. Thank you for the suggestions