OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 strange loss of sync on AV3 ?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Midge_the_Mouse

OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 strange loss of sync on AV3 ?

Post by Midge_the_Mouse »

OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 strange loss of sync on AV3 ?(when previously working)

Okay i will first list all eqip being used
OSSC 1.6 ossc_0.82-aud firmware
RetroTink2X 3.2 pcb and very latest firmware for PAL 60
Correct psu's for both OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2
VGA output adapter that shipped with the RetroTink2X from VGP
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 PAL
ATARI 800XL home computer PAL

I have double checked all VGA leads/HDMI-DVI lead/PSU leads/adapters these all work perfectly
Same for Samsung SyncMaster P2250 and ATARI 800XL these all work perfectly
OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 these all work perfectly in different scenarios with different systems (i don't believe both units are at fault)
Both OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 were correctly set to DVI mode
RetroTink2X 3.2 was set to pass-though mode with S-VIDEO

When everything is hooked up using AV3 RGBHV signal is going to monitor with Test pattern and GREEN LED lit with no RED LED lit

I don't know what i have done wrong in the settings or something has changed only that previously everything seemed to be working

I'm really really stuck here on advice on what to do next or what other settings i could try or change any help really really appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by Midge_the_Mouse on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Re: OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X 3.2 strange loss of sync on AV3

Post by nmalinoski »

I'm not sure I follow. The OSSC is set to AV3-RGBHV, its LED is solid green, and it's showing a test pattern? Usually the test pattern means it hasn't received sync yet. What does the OSSC's LCD say?

Do you get a picture if you remove the OSSC and HDMI->VGA converter, and set the RT2X to line-double to 480p/576p?
Midge_the_Mouse

Pressing button 3 RGBHV just cycles though the LCD display RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB and then settling at one of them with NO SYNC with GREEN LED lit and the Test pattern displayed
No picture is displayed removing the OSSC and HDMI->VGA converter, and set the RT2X to line-double to 480p/576p
Midge_the_Mouse

Any ideas guys i'm desperate here?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

try turning the auto input stuff off and manually selecting RGBHV?
Midge_the_Mouse

maxtherabbit wrote:try turning the auto input stuff off and manually selecting RGBHV?
Thank's just tried this it's same result as below

Pressing button 3 RGBHV just cycles though the LCD display RGBHV/RGBS/RGsB and then settling at one of them with NO SYNC with GREEN LED lit and the Test pattern displayed

Could the firmware or one of the profiles be be corrupt?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

In your thread(s) on VGP, we established that you still get no picture when using just the RT2X configured for line-doubling, which tells me the OSSC doesn't even enter into it. There's something wrong from the RT2X back towards the console.

One thing you might want to try is connecting composite output from the 800XL to the Green/Y input on AV2 on the OSSC and setting the input to AV2-YPbPr. That should get you sync at least sync, and, assuming your TV can accept the 800XL's refresh rate, a black-and-white image. If you still don't get sync on the OSSC, and you've validated that AV2 works fine with component sources, or at least that that same approach works with another composite source, then I would say there's something borked with your 800XL.

If, however, the OSSC does get [stable] sync from the 800XL's composite output, then there's something wrong with the RT2X or the cables you're using.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I s-video modded my Atari 7800 and connected it to the the RetroTink2x, then to the OSSC. No matter what I tried, I could not get a signal to transfer properly from Atari to TV. After initial struggles, It would look good for 1 minute before going black and white for some reason. I worked with Mike at RetroTink but we couldn't figure out a fix. I ended up using a generic Amazon converter to get there. It's just my one experience here, but my guess is the RetroTink isn't playing nice.
Midge_the_Mouse

Different S-VIDEO cable from the 800XL using only composite to the Green/Y input on AV2 on the OSSC and setting the input to AV2-YPbPr got me black and white signal no sync issue
Yet doing the same as above with the original cable got me same no sync

Heres the part I don't understand using both cables with only RT2X and S-VIDEO on a different monitor i had zero issues so i thought original cable was ok
I just don't understand how the ossc and RT2X worked perfectly then stopped for no apparent reason
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:try turning the auto input stuff off and manually selecting RGBHV?

if you actually disabled all of the auto input stuff, nothing would be cycling on the LCD
Midge_the_Mouse

maxtherabbit wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:

if you actually disabled all of the auto input stuff, nothing would be cycling on the LCD
I will check this again maybe i made a mistake
I have just updated the latest firmware too ossc_0.83-aud see if that makes any difference
Midge_the_Mouse

I have now tried this with Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL still no joy i have assume the VGA-HDMI adapter is at fault (it seems cheap anyway)
Can anybody please recommend a good quality replacement that does 240p/288p pass-through supported /1600 x 1200 with OSSC
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I have now tried this with Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL still no joy i have assume the VGA-HDMI adapter is at fault (it seems cheap anyway)
Can anybody please recommend a good quality replacement that does 240p/288p pass-through supported /1600 x 1200 with OSSC
This is pretty much a gold standard for VGA to HDMI, though no mention of 1600x1200. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HOLM0/

Doesn't the OSSC essentially output VGA to HDMI though? I still think the RetroTink is at fault, but that's my experience.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I have now tried this with Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL still no joy i have assume the VGA-HDMI adapter is at fault (it seems cheap anyway)
This is pretty much a gold standard for VGA to HDMI, though no mention of 1600x1200. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HOLM0/

Doesn't the OSSC essentially output VGA to HDMI though? I still think the RetroTink is at fault, but that's my experience.
I have one of the Portta converters. I don't actively use it, but it worked well during my brief testing.

The OSSC, to my knowledge, digitizes first, then does its processing, and outputs digital RGB (and I guess now YCbCr if you configure for it) to the HDMI TX IC.
Midge_the_Mouse

Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL via only the RetroTink using S-VIDEO all works perfectly
Old Fujitsu Siemens laptop outputting VGA direct into the OSSC works perfectly too so i don't think it's OSSC issue
I have correct specific PSU'S for both the RetroTink and OSSC so i don't think that a issue too

Seems like i'm not only one having issues in the comments
https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... a-adapter/

Also i'd like to remind people for a while all seemed to be working fine then just stopped
For me the adapter looks and feels like the weakest cheap link like £/$ 5 product off eBay

Seems like theirs two version of same product

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HOLM0/ recommend by ldeveraux

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008I03ZEM/ recommend by nmalinoski
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL via only the RetroTink using S-VIDEO all works perfectly
Old Fujitsu Siemens laptop outputting VGA direct into the OSSC works perfectly too so i don't think it's OSSC issue
I have correct specific PSU'S for both the RetroTink and OSSC so i don't think that a issue too

Seems like i'm not only one having issues in the comments
https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... a-adapter/

Also i'd like to remind people for a while all seemed to be working fine then just stopped
For me the adapter looks and feels like the weakest cheap link like £/$ 5 product off eBay

Seems like theirs two version of same product

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HOLM0/ recommend by ldeveraux

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008I03ZEM/ recommend by nmalinoski
Look man, if you really want to try one of the adapters, then buy one and give it a go. If it works, great, keep it. If not, return it to Amazon. If you think your current adapter is the problem spot, replace it with another. Don't keep repeating "the adapter is the problem" and waiting for validation; we don't know for sure. Take the initiative to fix this yourself!
Midge_the_Mouse

I have already ordered adapter from Amazon should here next wednesday
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I have already ordered adapter from Amazon should here next wednesday
Fantastic! Keep us updated, hope this works out for you!
Midge_the_Mouse

Tested with both these two brand new units and default unit and no matter what i do nothing works
I also tested the three adapters on their own they work fine
I also tested the OSSC on it's own that works fine
Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL i have tested they fine i know those are not at fault
So i have requested a return and replacement of the RetroTink as i belive it's has developed a fault when it was once working fine with the default unit and now works with none them

http://www.goliathcomputing.co.uk/produ ... dmivga.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088HOLM0/
Midge_the_Mouse

After testing this product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962189058.html on it's own a seeing it work fine
Then i rigged up HDMI to RGB converter inline with the OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X in the correct order using AV2
I still get a test screen and soild green light on the display with NO SYNC MESSAGE (not flashing)

Any ideas what would be my next steps or using different settings or perhaps i'm missing something really really stuck here any help please most appreciated
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:After testing this product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962189058.html on it's own a seeing it work fine
Then i rigged up HDMI to RGB converter inline with the OSSC 1.6 and RetroTink2X in the correct order using AV2
I still get a test screen and soild green light on the display with NO SYNC MESSAGE (not flashing)

Any ideas what would be my next steps or using different settings or perhaps i'm missing something really really stuck here any help please most appreciated
I'm still not clear on your setup. You're trying to get the Atari (VGA) output to your TV or receiver via HDMI? If the Atari cable is VGA (15-pin?) why are you using a RetroTink? Shouldn't your Atari output go directly to the VGA input on the OSSC? The RetroTink only outputs HDMI, so I'm not sure how you have it chained with the OSSC.
Midge_the_Mouse

ldeveraux wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:After testing this product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32962189058.html on it's own a seeing it work fine

I'm still not clear on your setup. You're trying to get the Atari (VGA) output to your TV or receiver via HDMI? If the Atari cable is VGA (15-pin?) why are you using a RetroTink? Shouldn't your Atari output go directly to the VGA input on the OSSC? The RetroTink only outputs HDMI, so I'm not sure how you have it chained with the OSSC.
For all systems Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL the outut video is S-VIDEO or composite into the RetroTink first/HDMI to RGB/OSSC1.6 ouput to HDMI display

I'm basically using the RetroTink to get S-VIDEO or composite though the OSSC 1.6 to HDMI as the OSSC 1.6 does not directly support S-VIDEO or composite

Iv'e had it working before then it stopped for some unknown reason dunno if i fucked up a setting or something else

What i can tell you i gone though 3 HDMI to VGA adapters and HDMI to RGB converter and it's been same story over and over solid green light with test pattern and no sync message

I'm lead to believe theirs two ways of getting S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI

1st output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to VGA adapter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI

2nd output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to RGB converter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI

Here is a video of hows it's done using the 2nd option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKZLGVMctlk&t=182s
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:No picture is displayed removing the OSSC and HDMI->VGA converter, and set the RT2X to line-double to 480p/576p
so you're still not getting any image with the RT2x connected directly to source and display? if so, then either your RT2x doesn't work, your source doesn't work, or they are incompatible.

messing around with the OSSC won't change a thing, if you can't get the RT2x working directly to display then the problem is definitely upstream
Midge_the_Mouse

maxtherabbit wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:No picture is displayed removing the OSSC and HDMI->VGA converter, and set the RT2X to line-double to 480p/576p
so you're still not getting any image with the RT2x connected directly to source and display? if so, then either your RT2x doesn't work, your source doesn't work, or they are incompatible.

messing around with the OSSC won't change a thing, if you can't get the RT2x working directly to display then the problem is definitely upstream
That's the thing using the RetroTink directly with for all systems Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL works with S-VIDEO composite works fine

Using all systems Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL with composite S-VIDEO/ or RF output work fine so i know for fact the systems are not at fault

I don't think it's compatibility issue with any of systems as the Commodore 64 is known to work with 1st output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to VGA adapter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI
and the Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL have the S-VIDEO or composite outputs

I have it working before with Atari 800XL with 1st output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to VGA adapter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI then it just stopped

I suspect it a issue with the RetroTink with it's fiddly design and dinky buttons and switching from HDMI TO DVI MODE by removing power cable i think it's just asking to break
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

That's the thing using the RetroTink directly with for all systems Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL works with S-VIDEO composite works fine

Using all systems Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 64/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL with composite S-VIDEO/ or RF output work fine so i know for fact the systems are not at fault

I don't think it's compatibility issue with any of systems as the Commodore 64 is known to work with 1st output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to VGA adapter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI
and the Commodore C16 and Commodore Plus 4/Commodore 128/Atari 800XL have the S-VIDEO or composite outputs

I have it working before with Atari 800XL with 1st output S-VIDEO or composite from RetroTink into HDMI to VGA adapter into the OSSC 1.6 ouput to HDMI then it just stopped

I suspect it a issue with the RetroTink with it's fiddly design and dinky buttons and switching from HDMI TO DVI MODE by removing power cable i think it's just asking to break
if using the retrotink directly works fine, just use it directly - what's the point of chaining it into the OSSC? are you line doubling the RT2x output to 960p or something?
Midge_the_Mouse

I'm not getting output quality i want directly from the RetroTink i had hoped going via OSSC 1.6 would help with more line doubling options
If you have multiple systems like me that have S-VIDEO or composite that you wanna use with the RetroTink or you want to switch HDMI to DVI mode then you have treat the unit like delicate flower
The unit is so diddly each time you plug or unplug a cable it's more wear
I cant see how pulling the plug on already powered unit then plugging back in with a dinky button helps seems like asking for trouble
Even then theirs no clear indication that HDMI or DVI mode was selected properly
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I'm not getting output quality i want directly from the RetroTink i had hoped going via OSSC 1.6 would help with more line doubling options
If you have multiple systems like me that have S-VIDEO or composite that you wanna use with the RetroTink or you want to switch HDMI to DVI mode then you have treat the unit like delicate flower
I cant see how pulling the plug on already powered unit then plugging back in with a dinky button helps seems like asking for trouble
Even then theirs no clear indication that HDMI or DVI mode was selected properly
here's the thing - since the RT2x is doing the digitizing of the signal, the quality is going to pretty much be what it is

all the optimal sampling options the OSSC has are moot in this application, because the initial sampling is being done according to bog standard NTSC/PAL specs by the RT2x

the only way the OSSC could help you would be if your TV just happened to do a particularly bad job of upscaling 480p, in which case you could get sharper scaling by using the RT2x in passthrough mode and using the OSSC in higher line modes (though they will be limited in compatibility by the display)

bottom line is, IMO the quality you are getting out of the RT2x directly is probably the best you are going to get out of an s-video source until a device reaches market that can transcode s-video into YPbPr completely in the analog domain
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Midge_the_Mouse wrote:The unit is so diddly each time you plug or unplug a cable it's more wear
See I think this is your problem right here. The OSSC just works, assuming you send it an appropriate signal. And honestly, it accepts quite a bit. But you're getting what you pay for with the OSSC. It's expensive and worth the money, is still developed, semi-constant updates, it's a great unit. The RetroTink on the other hand is less expensive, rarely updated, semi-supported both publicly and by the developer. I'm not saying it's junk, but it's definitely more finicky than other converters/scalers both in usability and output quality. You said yourself it was working and now magically doesn't.
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I suspect it a issue with the RetroTink with it's fiddly design and dinky buttons and switching from HDMI TO DVI MODE by removing power cable i think it's just asking to break
Yes, this right here I've been telling you since you started the thread. The RT is just less universally compatible in my experience. I had component modified my C64 and tried direct HDMI out put to TV and couldn't get a signal. I had s-video modified my Atari 7800 and the RetroTink gave the same result. I had emailed Mike about both of these, but gave up when he couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. It just sits in a box on my shelf now, hoping someday I'll have a system that will utilize it.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ditch the RetroTink. Get Amazon's s-video/component/composite to HDMI converter I previously recommended and go into the OSSC. It's simpler, easier, and you'll find more often than not, it just works!
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Midge_the_Mouse wrote:I'm not getting output quality i want directly from the RetroTink i had hoped going via OSSC 1.6 would help with more line doubling options
here's the thing - since the RT2x is doing the digitizing of the signal, the quality is going to pretty much be what it is

all the optimal sampling options the OSSC has are moot in this application, because the initial sampling is being done according to bog standard NTSC/PAL specs by the RT2x

the only way the OSSC could help you would be if your TV just happened to do a particularly bad job of upscaling 480p, in which case you could get sharper scaling by using the RT2x in passthrough mode and using the OSSC in higher line modes (though they will be limited in compatibility by the display)

bottom line is, IMO the quality you are getting out of the RT2x directly is probably the best you are going to get out of an s-video source until a device reaches market that can transcode s-video into YPbPr completely in the analog domain
Yeah, or this :wink:
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ldeveraux wrote: Get Amazon's s-video/component/composite to HDMI converter I previously recommended and go into the OSSC. It's simpler, easier, and you'll find more often than not, it just works!
that may very well "work" in the sense of giving an image, but the quality problems with respect to sampling will be exactly the same as the RT2x

chaining a ADC device through a DAC into the OSSC's input really just defeats the whole purpose of the OSSC