Eden's Edge & Eden's Aegis (new thread)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
CyberAngel

Re: Eden's Edge & Eden's Aegis (new thread)

Post by CyberAngel »

Okay, this is worth making a new post for so that it's not lost in the shuffle.

Eden's Edge v1.21 - Heaven
CyberAngel & 46,881,850 & ALL & ON & Formation

Video

See? Told you I could pull this off. This is very close to my top estimate so I'll definitely take this as my PB. Now I can move on to higher difficulties without any regrets.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Your recent activity has made me realize I don't know much of anything about Eden's Edge. For example, how do the gems work? Seems like occasionally they will simply gravitate towards you, however some of them don't. Are there specific enemies you want to kill for score? How important is collecting a lot of gems compared to not allowing your chain to drop?
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

blossom wrote:Your recent activity has made me realize I don't know much of anything about Eden's Edge. For example, how do the gems work? Seems like occasionally they will simply gravitate towards you, however some of them don't. Are there specific enemies you want to kill for score? How important is collecting a lot of gems compared to not allowing your chain to drop?
The ones that spawn from cancelled bullets gravitate to you from anywhere, for others there's a short radius where they get attracted to you. Moving left and right lets you gather them from a wider area.

Scoring is all about gem chain counter. The bigger number you can get the better. One big chain is always better than two small ones. Grabbing more items is always good but sometimes you'd want to space them out to keep your chain alive. Special note about bombs - your chain doesn't drop for its whole duration. That's how I managed to connect a few big chains into even bigger ones.

(And if you want to do the math yourself - the bonus you get for the chain once you drop it is your chain counter SQUARED, times ten.)
blossom

Post by blossom »

Eden's Aegis v1.11 - Original - Wait On
blossom & 201,568,710 & ALL & ON & Eve
video

I don't know what to say about this score. One half of me is baffled that I could reach 200 million and the other half of me is not surprised when taking into consideration all my hours of practice.
Last edited by blossom on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Another 200m. Great stuff - been very interesting seeing this game get a revival!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
blossom

Post by blossom »

I've tried a couple runs of Eden's Aegis original mode after that 200 million and there's an immediate mental block, where I know I could hit 207 million in theory, but my heart's not in it - "you hit 200 million, who cares about improving small mistakes?" Not exactly burn out, more that I'm satisfied and motivation is hard to find. So I think I'm going to take a break from the game, and when I return, I'll devote all of my attention to hell mode. I've messed around a bit with stage practice, and while I'm struggling with the concept of revenge bullets in some places more than others, most of my route for original mode appears to apply for hell mode.

Although I do have a question - is it considered lame or cheap to skip out on the TLB for a submitted run? As far as we can tell, the TLB will spawn only if you have a bomb in stock. VHP lost two lives to the boss, which amounts at least to 6 million potential points that were lost. My idea is to make sure I've used every bomb during the stage 5 boss so that I don't have to throw away lives to the TLB.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

IIRC it's not uncommon for scoring runs of other games to intentionally skip TLBs if possible. It's the end score that matters so do whatever works. Unless beating TLB can cover for the lives lost, of course.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Yeah, I'm thinking as long as I specify it's an ALL clear instead of an ALL! clear that I shouuuuld be fine? (Clearly I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm currently trash at hell mode, but it's a long term goal of mine.)

Oh btw, earlier today I got a 1cc of Eden's Edge heaven mode, 27 million points. I can't even imagine how to improve that, would need more experience with it. Don't think I'm a fan of the scoring in heaven or original, though, the strict DDP-esque chaining isn't my favorite thing. Hell mode, on the other hand, is a little fascinating. I love how you're encouraged to hold your fire to allow enemies to fill the screen with bullets. Feels weird skipping to hell and not doing original, but I feel it's justified since the scoring system is entirely different. Probably won't be something I focus on anytime soon either way, just something I do for a credit or two when I'm bored.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

27 mil? Let me guess, a 2-miss run? Survival is rewarded greatly, 5 mil per extra life (7.5 mil on Hell/Doom). Can't say for sure due to no experience with harder modes, but hanging around Heaven/Original until you can no-miss them might still help with understanding the basic ideas behind the patterns on higher modes.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Does anyone have a link to NTSC-J's 46 million replay in Eden's Edge original mode? I don't see him posting either in this thread or the old thread. Or maybe there's a higher score from this not posted on the forum, the same way Eden's Aegis has a 219 million replay out there?

Also, how in the fuck do I play this in full screen? Is it possible? There is a text file that allows you to type 1 for windowed and 0 for full screen, however all typing 0 does for me is the game won't launch at all.

edit: you know, I get the impression that the chaining between heaven and original is mostly the same, so I might have more to learn from your heaven mode replay than I thought, CyberAngel - although I'm still annoyed by the game's lack of full screen
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

blossom wrote:Also, how in the fuck do I play this in full screen? Is it possible? There is a text file that allows you to type 1 for windowed and 0 for full screen, however all typing 0 does for me is the game won't launch at all.
Works for me. Looks horrible in widescreen but it starts fine. You do have to wait for a couple of seconds though. But I can help brainstorm for a solution if you can't make it work at all.
blossom wrote:edit: you know, I get the impression that the chaining between heaven and original is mostly the same, so I might have more to learn from your heaven mode replay than I thought, CyberAngel - although I'm still annoyed by the game's lack of full screen
Yeah, it still mostly depends on items from destroyed enemies and those don't change at all. The patterns are obviously trickier to dodge (mostly because the bullets are faster) but the approach to every situation remains pretty much the same.
blossom

Post by blossom »

I'd be open to hearing any and all ideas you have, would love to play Eden's Edge more often but not by staring at this tiny window. However, something that might help you: if you have an NVIDIA graphics card, there's actually a way to stop that nonsense where 4:3 games are stretched out to be widescreen. Go to the NVIDIA control panel, in the list of options on the left hand side choose "Adjust desktop size and resolution". The scaling mode should be "Aspect ratio", the scaling should be performed on GPU and not Display, and you should check the box that says "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs." Shout out to Emuser for helping me figure this out so I can play Blue Wish Resurrection and Eden's Aegis full screen, if I'm ever in the mood. Typically I use a program called DXWnd to play Eden's Aegis in a larger window, however the only other game this program seems to cooperate with is Cho Ren Sha.

On an unrelated note, yesterday I was bored and did some math. High level scores of Eden's Aegis original mode typically get 4.5 million on stage 1, and for hell mode it's possible to earn at least 8 million. That 3.5 million is 44% of the difference between original and hell, so let's just assume EVERY stage has as much of an increase - considering the WR for original mode is 219 million, you would be looking at a possible score of AT LEAST 316 million for hell mode. That's not taking into account the TLB, either, because you can cheese your way out of that fight. So let's do something else. The best end stage chain I've seen for original mode stage 5 is roughly 20,000. Each phase of a boss multiplies that by 200, and she has 4 phases. You're looking at 16 million more points, minimum, which I can guarantee is higher in theory because hell mode provides a much higher chain. Let's assume the chain can go as high as 30,000 and call it an even 340 million. This is all a rough approximation. What I'm saying is... I'm excited to see what might happen with Eden's Aegis hell mode in the years to come.
Prinny

Post by Prinny »

Eden's Aegis v1.11 - Original - Wait On
Prinny & 221,853,700 & ALL & ON & Nanathy

Eden's Aegis v1.11 - Original - Wait Off
Prinny & 173,876,830 & ALL & ON & Nanathy

Wait On video
Wait Off video

Experimented with bombing the first flower in stage 5 in the wait on run. Some minor mistakes but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have for it.
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

Eden's Edge v1.21 - Original
CyberAngel & 23,007,470 & ALL & ON & Formation

Video

Finally managed to save a life so my score isn't TOTAL garbage and worthy of posting now.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Seeing as multiple new scores have been submitted without an edit to the leaderboards, I've taken the liberty to create a new thread.
wxlxy95

Post by wxlxy95 »

Eden's Aegis - ACCEL
MET - 32,027,650 - ALL! - Guard ON/Wait OFF - RIDMIE
Date: Nov 5th 2014

Replay
Video (Youku)
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Wow, very cool to see an Accel clear! :shock: