Bands of noise on PSone

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Bands of noise on PSone

Post by vol.2 »

My PSone mini is exhibiting faint horizontal bands of noise.

I thought it was crappy sync, so I replaced the caps in the circuit between the video output chips and the multi out. This actually helped the image quite a bit, but it didn't remove the noise. (I realized after the fact that there had also been sync issues and some color issues).

Does anyone have an idea about what's causing the noise?

Thanks

edit: The bands of vertical noise roll upwards across the screen and are about 1 1/2" wide. If I had to describe the appearance of the noise, I would say that it's shimmery and digital as opposed to analogue snow. Also, I have tried a composite cable and the noise isn't there, but the image looks shaky and smeared. (significantly worse than it does on other psx consoles)
nmalinoski

Re: Bands of noise on PSone

Post by nmalinoski »

What kind of RGB cable are you using? Is it cheaply made, or did you get it from one of the trusted boutique manufacturers, like Retro-Access or Retro Gaming Cables?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

nmalinoski wrote:What kind of RGB cable are you using? Is it cheaply made, or did you get it from one of the trusted boutique manufacturers, like Retro-Access or Retro Gaming Cables?
Trusted manufacturer. It's a known working cable. flawless on my PS2 (although it's supposed to be a PS1 cable, not a 2)
Kez

Post by Kez »

I would try to eliminate EMI and power noise, try a different PSU, unplug any unnecessary devices nearby, try plugging it directly into the wall, etc.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Kez wrote:I would try to eliminate EMI and power noise, try a different PSU, unplug any unnecessary devices nearby, try plugging it directly into the wall, etc.
I had a feeling I should try a different psu, but I didn't have one on hand. I'll have to buy one and give it a try. I'm using a non-oem one I had lying around. I checked it out with a multimeter, and it seems to work with different equipment, but it's definitely something I should eliminate.

Thanks
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

vol.2 wrote:
Kez wrote:I would try to eliminate EMI and power noise, try a different PSU, unplug any unnecessary devices nearby, try plugging it directly into the wall, etc.
I had a feeling I should try a different psu, but I didn't have one on hand. I'll have to buy one and give it a try. I'm using a non-oem one I had lying around. I checked it out with a multimeter, and it seems to work with different equipment, but it's definitely something I should eliminate.

Thanks
It was the power supply. New one shows no noise. However, image still seems a bit blown out, especially during menu or system screens. I think I still prefer the PS2s image quality because it seems crisper. Or maybe there is still something wrong with it that I can't determine.

edit: fixed sentence structure :)