Mega SD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
broken

Re: Mega SD

Post by broken »

nmalinoski wrote:
broken wrote:Side expansion support isn’t for a future revision. It’s a simple add on passive adapter that allows the MegaSD to attach to it.
So, to play 32X CD games, one would need one Mega SD with that adapter attached to the expansion port, and then either an original game or a second Mega SD in the 32X?

You don't need anything in the cart slot. If you insist on leaving the 32X plugged in, you can attach the MegaSD to the side expansion slot to play both CD and 32XCD games.

Then, you know, you could plug it into the top of the 32X for regular Genesis/Mega Drive roms.

However in both scenarios you won't be able to play SMS games (if that matters to you) since it gets blocked in the 32X cart slot and the side expansion doesn't have what we need to make SMS games work.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Did you check about having another flash cart in the main slot while mega sd is in the side?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

broken wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
broken wrote:Side expansion support isn’t for a future revision. It’s a simple add on passive adapter that allows the MegaSD to attach to it.
So, to play 32X CD games, one would need one Mega SD with that adapter attached to the expansion port, and then either an original game or a second Mega SD in the 32X?

You don't need anything in the cart slot. If you insist on leaving the 32X plugged in, you can attach the MegaSD to the side expansion slot to play both CD and 32XCD games.

Then, you know, you could plug it into the top of the 32X for regular Genesis/Mega Drive roms.

However in both scenarios you won't be able to play SMS games (if that matters to you) since it gets blocked in the 32X cart slot and the side expansion doesn't have what we need to make SMS games work.
I'm guessing this doesn't work on units with a CD attached/built in?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:I'm guessing this doesn't work on units with a CD attached/built in?
According to Bob's video, that is correct. You'd need some way to disconnect the CD circuitry from the expansion bus, which I would assume involves cutting one or more traces.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

nmalinoski wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:I'm guessing this doesn't work on units with a CD attached/built in?
According to Bob's video, that is correct. You'd need some way to disconnect the CD circuitry from the expansion bus, which I would assume involves cutting one or more traces.
On the X'eye and whichever Wondermega is the same as the X'eye you can simply disconnect the cable between the boards and it boots as a Genesis according to a guy over on AP. No trace cutting.

I intend to see if it works the same for the Wondermega RG-M1 in a week or so here.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Shame you still need to mod a Genesis 3 to play SMS games? I thought this last official revision was a stripped down version not compatible with 32X, Sega CD or Master System.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

azmun wrote:Shame you still need to mod a Genesis 3 to play SMS games? I thought this last official revision was a stripped down version not compatible with 32X, Sega CD or Master System.
That's true, although the VA1 revision of the Genesis 3 can be modded for SMS and 32X compatibility. They're quite rare though, out of all the Genesis 3s I've encountered most of them had the VA2 board which can't be modded (AFAIK).
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Konsolkongen wrote:In case someone watches RetroRGB's video and tunes away before the end; Sonic CD stutters like crazy, looking borderline unplayable, but since this happens in his demonstration of original hardware too I assume it's just a capturing issue. This threw me off initially :)
The problem actually happened somewhere in Premiere's rendering. I spent a few hours trying to fix it, but gave up because video quality had nothing to do with this video (MSD's video is exactly like original discs/carts). Also, after I hit around the 30 hour mark on these videos, I gotta just concentrate on what's the most important fixes and move on. I know that's not what perfectionists want to hear, but I'm stretched completely thin anyway and until I upgrade to a faster computer, there are going to be issues that just aren't worth spending 10+ hours fixing. Sorry if that offends anyone, I'm just being honest and giving an explanation.

azmun wrote:Shame you still need to mod a Genesis 3 to play SMS games? I thought this last official revision was a stripped down version not compatible with 32X, Sega CD or Master System.
If you're using a Genesis 3, you'd really need to add a Sega Triple Bypass. None of them with play Sega CD audio without a mod and VA2's won't play SMS or 32x at all. I still LOVE these little consoles though and after installing a 3BP, they're EXCELLENT (even the VA2's)! LOL, I still hear people talking shit about them too...but clearly they've never seen or heard a modded one in person:
https://www.retrorgb.com/genesis3.html
https://twitter.com/RetroRGB/status/1141096326056370178
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

If you have to completely replace the output circuitry for video and audio to make the console playable, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to call the thing a POS
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

maxtherabbit wrote:If you have to completely replace the output circuitry for video and audio to make the console playable, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to call the thing a POS
This comment in a TerraOnion thread of all places... :wink:
FBX

Post by FBX »

DejahThoris wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:If you have to completely replace the output circuitry for video and audio to make the console playable, I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to call the thing a POS
And yet all my TO devices work beautifully on my consoles...
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

With a little coaxing.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

LOL the Genesis 3 is perfectly playable despite having only mono audio, just that it’s lacking a few features.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

FBX wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:
And yet all my TO devices work beautifully on my consoles...
Seriously FBX??
Guess you gotta keep face with them now but my mind is blown reading those words from the guy that made the audio bypass for their SSDS3 and multiple video captures of various fixes.

@maxtherabbit and DejahThoris Thanks for getting coffee all over my keyboard guys.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Syntax wrote:
Seriously FBX??
Guess you gotta keep face with them now but my mind is blown reading those words from the guy that made the audio bypass for their SSDS3 and multiple video captures of various fixes.
I'm talking about the Rev B SSDS3 hooked into my Super Grafx. Okay, so they messed up the original revisions of that device, but everything else like the NeoSD and now the MegaSD has been fantastic.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

FBX wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Seriously FBX??
I'm talking about the Rev B SSDS3 hooked into my Super Grafx. Okay, so they messed up the original revisions of that device, but everything else like the NeoSD and now the MegaSD has been fantastic.
What's the difference between the NeoSD and NeoSD Pro?
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Standard sd loads off sd to memory - not the quickest.

I *believe* pro can instant load 1 favourite (has that stored in ram) and then hold 4 others for quick loading in on board flash memory ... others can then be loaded/swapped from sd more slowly. I *believe* that was the deal.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

And only the Pro got NGCD support, right?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Mmh... personally my MCD/SCD experience has been to just plug ye olde MCD2, shove a burned game with edited TOC (Force PAL region and 60Hz if needed), use the switches on the MD, and go.
Depending on the game that worked either perfectly, or with audio tracks sync issues.

For the rare times I would actually play it that was a good solution, some years ago a standalone MCD2 could be found for like 15 bucks, today it's more like 150+.

I guess if your REALLY have an interest in the MCD/SCD library, really, then the Mega SD isn't too absurd an investment.
But if it's just for a handful of games, emulating on your PC is 800% more rational.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
broken

Post by broken »

Pro cart has 1 high speed ram slot (volatile - power off and on and whatever is in that slot goes away) and 4 flash memory slots vs just 1 flash memory slot on the regular NeoSD. With the Pro cart you could flash your 4 favorite games to the flash slots for instant game play and keep the ram slot open for whenever you want to try something else out.

The Pro cart has a brand new, custom made shell and custom designed snaplock case with 2 sets of artwork (1 insert in JP and the other English).

While the Pro cart costs quite a bit more, it's a more premium deluxe package. And the CD game support is a cherry on top.

Fudoh wrote:And only the Pro got NGCD support, right?
Correct. To do CD support we needed a boat load of ram, and the regular NeoSD cart doesn't have that.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

FBX wrote: I'm talking about the Rev B SSDS3 hooked into my Super Grafx. Okay, so they messed up the original revisions of that device, but everything else like the NeoSD and now the MegaSD has been fantastic.
That's because those don't have A/V output circuitry to circumvent :P.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Just got an email that my Mega SD has shipped! Excited to try this thing out, REALLY looking forward to seeing how Sega CD games work on this thing!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Something tells me as time goes by people will discover a few nasty surprises with the Mega SD's FPGA emulation of some things. This is a cliche by now but FPGA stuff is only as good as the code. Even with the much simpler ODE that is the SSDS3 there are increasing reports of bugs, especially with seek times and with the much touted Arcade Card emulation, and to make things worse using the SSDS3 locks you out of using an actual Arcade Card to fall back on and circumvent those issues, just like this device locks you out of using a real S/Mega CD.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

fernan1234 wrote:Something tells me as time goes by people will discover a few nasty surprises with the Mega SD's FPGA emulation of some things. This is a cliche by now but FPGA stuff is only as good as the code. Even with the much simpler ODE that is the SSDS3 there are increasing reports of bugs, especially with seek times and with the much touted Arcade Card emulation, and to make things worse using the SSDS3 locks you out of using an actual Arcade Card to fall back on and circumvent those issues, just like this device locks you out of using a real S/Mega CD.
Severe language for a potential game crash.
I suppose that is why they make these firmwares updatable over time and develop them.
I haven’t received mine yet but can’t wait to put it through it’s paces.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Xyga wrote:Mmh... personally my MCD/SCD experience has been to just plug ye olde MCD2, shove a burned game with edited TOC (Force PAL region and 60Hz if needed), use the switches on the MD, and go.
Depending on the game that worked either perfectly, or with audio tracks sync issues.

For the rare times I would actually play it that was a good solution, some years ago a standalone MCD2 could be found for like 15 bucks, today it's more like 150+.

I guess if your REALLY have an interest in the MCD/SCD library, really, then the Mega SD isn't too absurd an investment.
But if it's just for a handful of games, emulating on your PC is 800% more rational.
My thoughts on this 100%. If you point a gun at me and pick either PCE CD library or the MCD library, the answer is pretty easy: PCE CD. Except for the Core Design MCD titles and maybe replaying Snatcher again, MCD library were mostly duds or don't cares. I would use the money on other things that I want (like a Super NT but it's a must you need a flash cart for the external chip games). Then again, I could use the save states feature of the MegaSD, but it isn't needed for me really.
FBX

Post by FBX »

fernan1234 wrote:Something tells me as time goes by people will discover a few nasty surprises with the Mega SD's FPGA emulation of some things. This is a cliche by now but FPGA stuff is only as good as the code.
Neodev is constantly working on the firmware to ensure fixes to broken games as they are reported. You can try to catch everything in one shot before release, but you're never going to pull that off.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

FBX wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Something tells me as time goes by people will discover a few nasty surprises with the Mega SD's FPGA emulation of some things. This is a cliche by now but FPGA stuff is only as good as the code.
Neodev is constantly working on the firmware to ensure fixes to broken games as they are reported. You can try to catch everything in one shot before release, but you're never going to pull that off.
He does seem to eventually post a reply in their forum's bug thread, but I gave up on the product after noticing that no actual fixes have been made for reported bugs that are pretty old by now. And then they changed focus to the Mega SD, but maybe they'll come back to the SSDS3 bugs later, we'll see.

The save state feature for MD games will be interesting to see, especially how it compares to the way Krikzz's Mega Everdrive v2/X7 does it. On the latter it can be a bit finnicky, it's like how the experimental save state on the SD2SNES does it where the music track does not carry over with the state, and at times loading a state leads to glitches in some games.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Trust me, Neodev works very hard on bug fixes. There was one for Final Fight I think it was that was causing a crash on the 5th stage. He ends up having to spend hours playing up to that stage every time to test a code fix.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

As much as I love their products (I really do), TO makes it so hard to love them as a company. With their recent move to Andorra (so, to a location outside the EU) they're just pissing at their European customers. Of course it's in their right to choose any location for their company they wish for, but with it they basically turned all the prices on their website from "vat included" to "vat excluded" over night - not only actually rising prices by about 17% on their end (before taxes), but only requiring all European customers to pay their local VAT upon arrival.

Might be OK for new customers, but especially for their core customer base who ordered from them before, this were really bad news. And by not communicating anything of this, it's really nothing but a slap in the faces of their customers. Piss poor move.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:With their recent move to Andorra (so, to a location outside the EU) they're just pissing at their European customers. Of course it's in their right to choose any location for their company they wish for, but with it they basically turned all the prices on their website from "vat included" to "vat excluded" over night - not only actually rising prices by about 17% on their end (before taxes), but only requiring all European customers to pay their local VAT upon arrival.
WTH? I only knew that Norway wasn't part of the EU. But damn, so even if someone lives in Spain or France and they want to say buy a Mega SD, they need to pay the increased price plus VAT?