I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nmalinoski

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K60 18Gbps

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:Why don't you just use the 3.5mm analog audio output from the OSSC to feed the receiver?
That would only work if the he was solely using AV1; it won't have any audio from AV3, and using that jack for AV1 audio out prevents it from being used for audio in for AV2.
Hkr wrote:Just wanna confirm that the setup listed in the OP can pass that signal through fine without needing to dejitter mod my consoles. I currently have my ossc plugged directly into the TV, but the TV has no audio out so I can't connect it to my 70s receiver like I want.
If you get the Vorke HD41Pro switcher, you can turn on its ARC feature and use its 3.5mm TRS jack to feed audio into your stereo receiver. I have this switcher and an unmodded NES (and an RGB decoder), but personally haven't used the switcher's ARC feature (I have an HDMI-capable AVR), and I unfortunately wouldn't be able to test it until sometime next week.
Hkr

Post by Hkr »

nmalinoski wrote: That would only work if the he
She.
nmalinoski wrote: If you get the Vorke HD41Pro switcher, you can turn on its ARC feature and use its 3.5mm TRS jack to feed audio into your stereo receiver. I have this switcher and an unmodded NES (and an RGB decoder), but personally haven't used the switcher's ARC feature (I have an HDMI-capable AVR), and I unfortunately wouldn't be able to test it until sometime next week.
Sorry, your wording is confusing there. Do you have a NES with a NESRGB board installed, fed into an ossc and out through the Vorke without the jitter issues?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Hkr wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: If you get the Vorke HD41Pro switcher, you can turn on its ARC feature and use its 3.5mm TRS jack to feed audio into your stereo receiver. I have this switcher and an unmodded NES (and an RGB decoder), but personally haven't used the switcher's ARC feature (I have an HDMI-capable AVR), and I unfortunately wouldn't be able to test it until sometime next week.
Sorry, your wording is confusing there. Do you have a NES with a NESRGB board installed, fed into an ossc and out through the Vorke without the jitter issues?
I have an entirely stock NTSC front-loader NES and a Kramer FC-4044 RGB decoder. The original composite output of the NES would be run into the RGB decoder and converted to YPbPr for the OSSC. As far as I know, the FC-4044 predates Kramer's digital processing, so it doesn't screw with 240p, and it shouldn't screw with the sync.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Hkr wrote:But go on, continue to shit on my choices instead of answering a simple question.
Jesus, get over yourself, it was a joke If the question was that simple, you wouldn't need assistance answering it would you?
Gara

Post by Gara »

My time sleuth came in and I can give another confirmation that the denon 3500h adds zero lag when processing is off. I didn't explore it much but initial testing with the processor on added 40ms.

Also found out just how God awful my tvs are with 480i content. One older panasonic plasma was over 109ms. I'm looking forward to seeing the results with my small collection of video processors.

The time sleuth is an expensive toy with far too few profile settings but it sure is a welcome tool. Takes all the guess work out
ossator

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K 18Gbps

Post by ossator »

lettuce wrote:Ive done a bit of research on the issue i was having with the few splitters ive tried not accepting an 5.1/7.1 PCM audio signal and just DD or DTS, now i know this isnt really an issue where the OSSC is involved but thought id mention it anyway. It would appear a ot of these splitters dont have a very sophisticated EDID implementation, when only using a 1080p source then there doesnt seem to be an issue its when you push it up to 4K it then cant support a PCM audio output. I will try and get a spiltter that has the EDID jumpers on the device and see if they are any better
Hi, i just bricked my VORKE HD41 pro using their officially provided firmware/tool aswell. Can you please provide me your bin dump? Thx
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

One more update from me. For the ViewHD splitter recommended in the OP, definitely put that after all the switchers, at least if you want auto switching to work. I tried putting it between two switchers and even just between my PS4 and the switcher and it causes some issues there. Namely, I think that it doesn't output any signal from the splitter until it gets the EDID info from the display, but it can't do that until the switcher changes to that input and the switcher won't do that without signal from the splitter. Bit of an endless fail loop :p So anyway, splitter at the end of the chain works best.
sky8000

Re: I recommend this HDMI Equipment for OSSC + 4K@60Hz RGB H

Post by sky8000 »

djc5166 wrote:
djc5166 wrote:
Fudoh wrote:The ViewHD switch is great indeed, but here in Europe it's hard to find under the ViewHD branding. Instead it's available under the "VORKE" branding (under 60 EUR on Amazon). It's the identical unit and performs nicely.
I think all of these that look like this (rs232, IR, toslink) use the same internals with the same stm32 arm core and hdmi switch chips,

I stupidly tried to update the firmware on my Vorke model from their website, all it does is brick the unit.

The swclk and swdio pins are exposed on the pcb for the stm32, I was going to try getting a stm32 programmer and flashing the firmware manually.

Not sure if it will work, but the programmer is like 7$ so it's worth a shot, Vorke has 0 customer service. They will absolutely not help you with the unit even though they provide the tools to update/brick your switch.
So I was able to dump the flash from a 2nd ViewHD/VORKE switch and then flash my bricked unit, and all is working again. I can provide the bin to anyone who bricked their unit trying to update it like I did. All you need is a cheap STM32 USB programmer.
Hi, I also bricked my switch trying to upgrade it. Could you send me your firmware dump. Thanks.
simbin

Post by simbin »

Did anyone ever find cheap 5x splitter that works with OSSC? I'm not spending $50 on splitter that is nuts lol
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

simbin wrote:Did anyone ever find cheap 5x splitter that works with OSSC? I'm not spending $50 on splitter that is nuts lol
You could try buying splitters on Amazon and returning them if they don't work. 5-way splitters seem to be a bit rare, but here's an 8-way for $40.

By the way, what do you need a 5-way splitter for? Capture plus four simultaneous monitors?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

If you meant to say switcher, the Smartooo or whatever they call themselves now that I recommended earlier in the thread is working great for me and that's a 5x1. I use two of them now.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

simbin wrote:Did anyone ever find cheap 5x splitter that works with OSSC? I'm not spending $50 on splitter that is nuts lol
If you're willing to spend money on the OSSC, why not also spend on a good quality switch known to work well with it?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Is anyone aware of an HDMI switcher where one of the inputs is an ARC uplink port? I can't seem to find any advertising ARC support that simply aren't switchers with built-in audio extractors.

My setup is a little awkward in that I have the TV (which doesn't support ARC) at the front of the room, and then everything else (AVR, consoles, related AV and networking gear) is on the left-hand side of the room, separated by a doorway. I have an active HDMI cable (which does support ARC), an Ethernet cable, and speaker wires crossing the doorway through a rubber cord cover, which is completely full.

What I'd like to do is move some of my consoles, namely the wireless ones (PS3, Xbox 360s, Xbox One), and the Roku to the front of the room, where the TV is, but I'd have no way to get the audio back to the AVR. If I could move the AVR to the front of the room, I would, but there isn't a shelf or surface deep enough to accommodate it.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I've clicked on a ton of links but haven't seen this: has anybody found and affordable MATRIX HDMI switcher? By 'matrix' I mean that you can loop devices in and out of it, split signals to multiple outputs, and have for example Input 1 go to Output 1, 2, & 3; while at the same time Input 2 is going to Output 4, 5, & 6.

Just wondering as I'm having some issues with my Extron SMX matrix HDMI switcher when using upscalers like the OSSC (it's dropping signal on occasion, I made a post about it here if anybody by chance has one of these models, or the Extron DXP).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Dirk, I saw Gara mention the "ViewHD Vhd-pro4x4" MATRIX switcher in another topic. Since the ViewHD 4x1 non-matrix switcher is the one you recommend, think I'll be safe with getting this 4x4 matrix by the same company? I PM'd Gara to see if he can expand on what sort of OSSC torture testing he put his through...

I really need an 8x8 matrix but I don't think anything exists that is proven to work (yet) with the OSSC and all it's modes.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:Dirk, I saw Gara mention the "ViewHD Vhd-pro4x4" MATRIX switcher in another topic. Since the ViewHD 4x1 non-matrix switcher is the one you recommend, think I'll be safe with getting this 4x4 matrix by the same company? I PM'd Gara to see if he can expand on what sort of OSSC torture testing he put his through...

I really need an 8x8 matrix but I don't think anything exists that is proven to work (yet) with the OSSC and all it's modes.
I think the short answer is no. I believe he tested two switchers by Vorke, the Prosumer 4x1 and a different 5x1, and the 5x1 had problems (It's been a while; my details may be mixed up). ViewHD is a different brand, so there's a chance they have more consistency in their product line, but it's not guaranteed. If the switcher you're looking at is on Amazon, I'd take advantage of their return policy; order it, run your tests as soon as you receive it, send it back if it doesn't work, and report your findings in this thread.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I tried the HDFury Vertex 2 (ouch $399) last night and it's a promising device. Initial setup was messed up and I haven't run a full set of tests yet, so this is not a recommendation yet.

What got my attention:
-TMDS auto switching. It actually analyzes the inputs to see if there's an active signal instead of just voltage.
*This is *HUGE* for auto-switching. This means I can chain other HDMI switchers to *every* port.
-An HDMI audio-only output. I previously had a ~$80 in the chain just to do this part reliably.
*There's also SPDIF & stereo analog outputs. Which is nice.
-Splitting it built into the switch. I previously had a device just for splitting my final output
-4K upscaling of 1080p signals. With a claim of low lag.
*I haven't tested the lag. But it surely couldn't be worse than my TV's upscaling. And the 1080p restriction is promising that it's just line & pixel doubling.
-Downscaling of 4K to 1080p
*My computer monitor isn't 4k and this is a nice feature for playing PS4 on the computer monitor when my wife is watching TV.

My initial impression was that it was absolute junk. I tried the OSSC 3x with an etim modded AV Famicom playing castlevania. It was frequently dropping frames. Every 4-5 seconds. I then tried the final output of my existing switcher chain to easily test ps4 pro without rewiring. This kept dropping signal and showing garbage at the bottom of the screen.

After I hooked up the PS4 pro directly to the device it worked flawlessly. And at some point my OSSC just started working flawlessly. I had done a firmware update of the vertex2 at some point.
I eventually got the PS4 pro working through another switch by reducing it's 4k output to YUV420 instead of RGB. So it must be some mix of maximum bandwidth + another switch that's causing the problem. I should remind that 2160pRGB directly into my splitter/extractor/tv previously worked. So this is some specific Vertex2 incompatibility.

After ~2 hours of testing (definitely not comprehensive) I landed in this configuration.
Port 1: PS4 Pro set to 2160pRGB.
Port 2: A Vorke HD41 chained to PS3, XBox, and Wii U. Haven't tested any of the leaf devices yet
Port 3: A ViewHD 5x1 from my graveyard. Chained to XBox One X and Nintendo Switch
Port 4: OSSC left always on

From full power on I get the OSSC test pattern as expected. I can start up castlevania by powering the famicom and play automatically.
I then turned on the nintendo switch. It overrode the OSSC through port 3 as expected.
I turned off the nintendo switch and after a couple seconds I was looking at castlevania again
I turned on the xbox one x and loaded into Halo no problems.
Shut down the xbox one x and after it fully powered down I went back to OSSC castlevania automatically
Powered on the PS4 and got that on screen automatically
Turned the PS4 back off and went back to the OSSC

The fact that the 2 switches chained into ports 2 & 3 weren't fighting the OSSC is frankly huge to me. This coupled with the built in audio extraction and splitting I need means my OSSC has 4 HDMI hops completely removed from it's chain. Which should reduce sync time on resolution change by a ton.

This is super promising. Enough that I'm convinced to try an HDFury X4 to auto upscale funky OSSC resolutions to 1080p so I can leverage the Vertex's 4k upscaling (as well as hopefully solve weird aspect ratios for 480p/960p in my setup)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

DirkSwizzler wrote:I tried the HDFury Vertex 2 (ouch $399) last night and it's a promising device. Initial setup was messed up and I haven't run a full set of tests yet, so this is not a recommendation yet.

What got my attention:
-TMDS auto switching. It actually analyzes the inputs to see if there's an active signal instead of just voltage.
*This is *HUGE* for auto-switching. This means I can chain other HDMI switchers to *every* port.
-An HDMI audio-only output. I previously had a ~$80 in the chain just to do this part reliably.
-Splitting it built into the switch. I previously had a device just for splitting my final output
*I haven't tested the lag. But it surely couldn't be worse than my TV's upscaling. And the 1080p restriction is promising that it's just line & pixel doubling.
*My computer monitor isn't 4k and this is a nice feature for playing PS4 on the computer monitor when my wife is watching TV.

My initial impression was that it was absolute junk. I tried the OSSC 3x with an etim modded AV Famicom playing castlevania. It was frequently dropping frames. Every 4-5 seconds. I then tried the final output of my existing switcher chain to easily test ps4 pro without rewiring. This kept dropping signal and showing garbage at the bottom of the screen.

After I hooked up the PS4 pro directly to the device it worked flawlessly. And at some point my OSSC just started working flawlessly. I had done a firmware update of the vertex2 at some point.
I eventually got the PS4 pro working through another switch by reducing it's 4k output to YUV420 instead of RGB. So it must be some mix of maximum bandwidth + another switch that's causing the problem. I should remind that 2160pRGB directly into my splitter/extractor/tv previously worked. So this is some specific Vertex2 incompatibility.

After ~2 hours of testing (definitely not comprehensive) I landed in this configuration.
Port 2: A Vorke HD41 chained to PS3, XBox, and Wii U. Haven't tested any of the leaf devices yet
Port 3: A ViewHD 5x1 from my graveyard. Chained to XBox One X and Nintendo Switch

From full power on I get the OSSC test pattern as expected. I can start up castlevania by powering the famicom and play automatically.
I then turned on the nintendo switch. It overrode the OSSC through port 3 as expected.
I turned off the nintendo switch and after a couple seconds I was looking at castlevania again
Shut down the xbox one x and after it fully powered down I went back to OSSC castlevania automatically

The fact that the 2 switches chained into ports 2 & 3 weren't fighting the OSSC is frankly huge to me. This coupled with the built in audio extraction and splitting I need means my OSSC has 4 HDMI hops completely removed from it's chain. Which should reduce sync time on resolution change by a ton.

This is super promising. Enough that I'm convinced to try an HDFury X4 to auto upscale funky OSSC resolutions to 1080p so I can leverage the Vertex's 4k upscaling (as well as hopefully solve weird aspect ratios for 480p/960p in my setup)
Awesome review! But $400 for essentially a really good HDMI switch? is it better than a $400 Denon, etc receiver?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

ldeveraux wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:I tried the HDFury Vertex 2 (ouch $399) last night and it's a promising device. Initial setup was messed up and I haven't run a full set of tests yet, so this is not a recommendation yet.

What got my attention:

Awesome review! But $400 for essentially a really good HDMI switch? is it better than a $400 Denon, etc receiver?
I agree that $400 is steep. And you make a good point that a good receiver is probably a better use of money. Here are my specific counterpoints for my case
-receivers don't auto switch. I *need* auto switching
-Most receivers cap out at like 8 inputs. I have more devices than that to hook up (the above testing wasn't comprehensive)
-I don't trust a receiver to have a good upscaler.
*I actually distrust receivers so much that I try to bypass them entirely for video. And opt for the 1080/720p black signal as their audio input so they can't cause frame drops
-I can actually use the downscaling feature. Something I haven't seen from a receiver
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The HDFury scaling devices don't offer a full 4:4:4 pipeline. HDFury is a bit weird about it, because they claim their units can do it, but test patterns have shown otherwise. It's a probably a 4:4:4 input AND output, but a 4:2:2 processing path in between. At least on anything up to the Vertex 1. Haven't seen the Vertex 2 yet.

If you don't mind, good for you.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Fudoh wrote:The HDFury scaling devices don't offer a full 4:4:4 pipeline. HDFury is a bit weird about it, because they claim their units can do it, but test patterns have shown otherwise. It's a probably a 4:4:4 input AND output, but a 4:2:2 processing path in between. At least on anything up to the Vertex 1. Haven't seen the Vertex 2 yet.

If you don't mind, good for you.
Do you know if that applies to pass-through modes? I doubt this is something I could spot with my eye, but just curious.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

As far as I recall it only affects scaling - or possibly other processing tasks like SDR/HDR conversion or RGB to YCbCr / vice versa, but for mere switching you should be fine.

There are very effective 4:4:4 test patterns out there, which make is really easy to spot. RTings has a 720p test image on their page. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling If you want to create differently sized patterns from it, just duplicate the image on your desired canvas size (instead of scaling it).

With a pattern like this it's extremely easy to spot.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Fudoh wrote:As far as I recall it only affects scaling - or possibly other processing tasks like SDR/HDR conversion or RGB to YCbCr / vice versa, but for mere switching you should be fine.

There are very effective 4:4:4 test patterns out there, which make is really easy to spot. RTings has a 720p test image on their page. https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling If you want to create differently sized patterns from it, just duplicate the image on your desired canvas size (instead of scaling it).

With a pattern like this it's extremely easy to spot.
Thanks for the info!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

The pattern on this page is also useful.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/confus ... r.2059833/
We apologise for the inconvenience
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Confirmed that upscaling appears to have subsampling issues and passthrough does not seem to.

I'm assuming that the math works out such that it's hard to detect for downscaling. It wasn't obviously broken in that case.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

Anybody have any experiences with either of these two 8-port HDMI switches? I want to get the switch recommended in the first post of this thread for my main / 4K devices but I need the extra ports for non-4k devices. I don't want to run into a bunch of problems, so I'm looking around for options, I probably need 10 - 12 total HDMI ports to connect everything.

Here are the switches I'm referring to.

Monoprice 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4067

IOGEAR 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B005S0YNNM

Worth mentioning, There is also a 4K version of the IOGEAR 8-port switch too, but it's much more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B07HLR9QGV
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

excalibur wrote:Anybody have any experiences with either of these two 8-port HDMI switches? I want to get the switch recommended in the first post of this thread for my main / 4K devices but I need the extra ports for non-4k devices. I don't want to run into a bunch of problems, so I'm looking around for options, I probably need 10 - 12 total HDMI ports to connect everything.

Here are the switches I'm referring to.

Monoprice 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4067

IOGEAR 8-port HDMI switch

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B005S0YNNM

Worth mentioning, There is also a 4K version of the IOGEAR 8-port switch too, but it's much more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-8-Port-Sw ... B07HLR9QGV
I have not tried either since they don't auto switch. Let us know your results if you try one!
Star1

Post by Star1 »

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'll try my luck.

If I use a 4K hdmi switch, would my pc detect it as 4K regardless, or does it depend on the monitor connected to the other end of the switch?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Star1 wrote:Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'll try my luck.

If I use a 4K hdmi switch, would my pc detect it as 4K regardless, or does it depend on the monitor connected to the other end of the switch?
I believe the switcher is just going to relay the EDID information from the connected display, so it'll depend on the display.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

nmalinoski wrote:
Star1 wrote:Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'll try my luck.

I believe the switcher is just going to relay the EDID information from the connected display, so it'll depend on the display.
That's the usual way they work. But they're all a bit different.

HDMI is voodoo. So you can't be 100% sure something will work the way you think it will until you plug it in. And even then it might throw you a curveball if you change some other device in your chain.