Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
darknezz19

Re: Sony BA-5D/BA-5 Chassis TV RGB Mod with OSD Mix

Post by darknezz19 »

Did you have to adjust the RGB cutoff levels in service menu? My colors are overdriving and bleeding a lot. Are we spoosed to add 75ohm termination on out sync line or the crt already has this? I added a 75 ohm between red and composite and colors looked better and could see pixels a lot more clear. Doesn't seem right to have to add 75ohm termination from every rgb line to the sync line.
DRC

Post by DRC »

Could you post pictures of your mod? I'm having trouble visualizing what you are saying.

The 75ohm termination resistors are only on the RGB lines. They are terminated to ground, not your sync line.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

What size resistors did you use on the inline rgb lines and what size for the Vblank?
DRC

Post by DRC »

darknezz19 wrote:What size resistors did you use on the inline rgb lines and what size for the Vblank?
RGB inline resistors are 910ohms.
2K2ohm on a 5v line for blanking.

"Jumpers for the RGB lines are as follows -
R - JW341
G - JW342
B - JW343

I got 5V from CN006 Pin 7, and blanking goes to the cathode of D003. Im sure there are top side jumpers that could be used but I didn't look.
I used 910Ohm inline resistors, 75Ohm terminations, and removed R086, R087 and R088. I hate surface mount components haha.

I wired everything up to molex connectors for easy case removal, and to use either VGA for a Dreamcast @15k, or a SCART connector if and when I get something that uses it.

Would switching sync to Luma on S-Video or Component fix the left shift of the image? I just wired to composite video as thats what I'd used on the other few TVs I had modded.

Pictures here -
https://imgur.com/a/lZTtECe"
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

That's exactly the values I used as well, weird. Yes if you plug sync into top right input on svideo you wont get the horizontal shift. I couldn't get sync on component.

Do me a favor and check your video compared to composite and RGB and see if it's different.

Edit: MarkOZLAD am I working this math wrong for the external blank inline resistor?

R2 = 2200

5 * R2 / (R2 + 3300) = 3.0

When I add this up I'm getting 2v not 3v. First I add the 2200+3300 = 5500. Then muultiply 5*2200=11000 and then 11000/5500=2.
darknezz19

Post by darknezz19 »

I'm an idiot. Didn't know the RGB input line need inline 75 Ohm resistors and 220uf caps. Everything is fine now. Holly crap I just wasted 3 days of my life. Ah well at least got a good RGB picture now. *hangs head in shame*
samoeda

Post by samoeda »

mgerety wrote:
HellRazor wrote:Thank you so much mgerety! if possible please send a pic of the solder side of your little pre-drilled PCB where you put all the RGB and sync wires
I updated my post (a few back) with a much more complete set of pictures and instructions. I'm not including the back of the board in that because I suck at soldering.

WARNING!! HORRIBLE SOLDERING JOB BELOW:

mgerety

That way you made the link gives for example to connect the Dreamcast through this RGB connection using the horizontal and vertical?
DRC

Post by DRC »

I've modded a Sony KV-27FV300 today. Decided to go SCART instead of DB-15 this time around. Turned out great!

I was also able to get sync from pin 3 on the S-Video connector. There was no horizontal shift, and syncs fine. My other BA-5 set I modded would not take s-video for sync, which I find interesting.

Pictures here - https://imgur.com/a/g37gwYV
samoeda

Post by samoeda »

DRC wrote:I've modded a Sony KV-27FV300 today. Decided to go SCART instead of DB-15 this time around. Turned out great!

I was also able to get sync from pin 3 on the S-Video connector. There was no horizontal shift, and syncs fine. My other BA-5 set I modded would not take s-video for sync, which I find interesting.

It was very good man congratulations, I go from DB 15 even though I want to use Dreamcast, Pi and Xbox 360 and here in Brazil it is difficult to find Easy Scart connector and when you think it is very expensive!
samoeda

Post by samoeda »

I modified my Sony KV-29FV305 sync by normal cvbs but by Y / C the image turns black and white.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Are you sure it was running RGB when using composite?

"Imagine toggle switch OSD modding a TV in 2019" - maxtherabbit
samoeda

Post by samoeda »

MarkOZLAD wrote:Are you sure it was running RGB when using composite?
I sent you a MP.
Yulius

Post by Yulius »

Hi everyone, i try to mod my sony kv-29fv300, BA-5D chassis.
I follow all steps but when i finish, tv shows a horizontal red lines. https://ibb.co/RPJ5BrC
https://ibb.co/d0CBtLs
https://ibb.co/cLtr0TS
https://ibb.co/Jp9C2PY

And when turn off the tv, the standby led turn on 5 times wait a 1 seccond and repeat.
Someone know a solution or posible cause this error?
mgerety

Post by mgerety »

Yulius wrote:Hi everyone, i try to mod my sony kv-29fv300, BA-5D chassis.
I follow all steps but when i finish, tv shows a horizontal red lines. https://ibb.co/RPJ5BrC

And when turn off the tv, the standby led turn on 5 times wait a 1 seccond and repeat.

What is the video source? What are you feeding into it? Are you using what are you using for sync? Any specifics on the mod? Images?

To me, this looks like a sync issue. Hopefully someone better than me (Mark?) can chime in here.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

Yulius wrote:Hi everyone, i try to mod my sony kv-29fv300, BA-5D chassis.

Have you got sync going into the AV port?

Yulius

Post by Yulius »

For sync i use ypbpr (green port) but i try in others composite video and s-video and get the same problem.

I did investigate in service manual and the 5 times led turn on problem, is ik circuit problem (tv protection circuit), but this error dont exist before i moded the tv ( i look and search all circuit and i do not see any abnormal in conections or solders).

i have this photos and explain the rest.

https://ibb.co/BBPZh1M
https://ibb.co/1TVtzYz

here i inject rgb signal (i use a similar circuit board with 750 ohm external resistors,external rgb input and 75 ohm end line resistors) and blanking ( by 2.2K ohm and 5V point with a on/off switch)

-i get the ground for the circuit on pin 1 s-video i use this for 75 ohm ground end line resistors and ground in rca conectors (i use rca conectors in my mods for RGB inputs because its imposible i found scart conectors in my country)

- for sync i use all av inputs on tv ( composite, s-video and component)

this error have another anomaly, if i conect any rgb signal (snes, ps1,ps2) i see i not have the color red( only i have red color in the interference i show in the initial pictures)

first i think my mod have problems in solders or false conections, i repase all solders
and nothing.

i think i have one internal component with problems, service manual give me an idea what is this.

i buying a replacement on aliexpress and only have waiting for continue repair this tv.

this is a head ache but i dont want give up.
ShadowKingthe7

Post by ShadowKingthe7 »

So I take it this is the best place to go to in case I need help when I start modding? I have a Sony kv-27s42 (BA-4D chassis) and I am just waiting for the parts I ordered to come in
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

For CRT RGB mod of Sony BA-4D with OSD mux:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&p=1342960&hil ... d#p1342960

nintari

Post by nintari »

Thanks for this thread! I have been pondering doing this for quite some time and seeing this will certainly make things easier.

A couple questions though:
Currently I am using a SCART to YPbPr converter going in to my CRT....
I assume the main thing I will gain is slightly better sharpness and colors, and then of course the ability to go directly from my gscartsw in to my set again gaining a bit more in image quality due to me now bypassing both the internal processing on the TV and the converter.
I'm trying to research this now... but this mod would not work with say a PSX, PS1 (or whatever you like to call it) that is using sync on luma? corrrect? (again I'm just learning some of this so be gentle)
For lightguns that rely on composite video, I typically would unhook the green component cable form the back of the set and plug the composite lead from the light gun in to the corresponding port, and then plug the green cable back in. For this mod since you would be using the composite input port would you just hook the lightgun in to that port and it would pickup the sync (maybe needing a 75ohm termination on the back side of the lighgun pass through to terminate)? But I have seen many using s-video instead for sync.... but then how would I go about hooking up a lightgun like this...would I need to make a custom dongle?
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

nintari wrote:Thanks for this thread! I have been pondering doing this for quite some time and seeing this will certainly make things easier.

A couple questions though:
Currently I am using a SCART to YPbPr converter going in to my CRT....
I assume the main thing I will gain is slightly better sharpness and colors, and then of course the ability to go directly from my gscartsw in to my set again gaining a bit more in image quality due to me now bypassing both the internal processing on the TV and the converter.
I'm trying to research this now... but this mod would not work with say a PSX, PS1 (or whatever you like to call it) that is using sync on luma? corrrect? (again I'm just learning some of this so be gentle)
For lightguns that rely on composite video, I typically would unhook the green component cable form the back of the set and plug the composite lead from the light gun in to the corresponding port, and then plug the green cable back in. For this mod since you would be using the composite input port would you just hook the lightgun in to that port and it would pickup the sync (maybe needing a 75ohm termination on the back side of the lighgun pass through to terminate)? But I have seen many using s-video instead for sync.... but then how would I go about hooking up a lightgun like this...would I need to make a custom dongle?
The mod will generally work fine with Sync on Luma. Results may vary on different sets but I believe it is fine for all with these chassis.

Lightgun use should be the same as before.

nintari

Post by nintari »

MarkOZLAD wrote:
nintari wrote:
For lightguns that rely on composite video, I typically would unhook the green component cable from the back of the set and plug the composite lead from the light gun in to the corresponding port, and then plug the green cable back in. For this mod since you would be using the composite input port would you just hook the lightgun in to that port and it would pickup the sync (maybe needing a 75ohm termination on the back side of the lighgun pass through to terminate)? But I have seen many using s-video instead for sync.... but then how would I go about hooking up a lightgun like this...would I need to make a custom dongle?
The mod will generally work fine with Sync on Luma. Results may vary on different sets but I believe it is fine for all with these chassis.

How would it be the same if I am now feeding SCART directly to the set with no RCA Cable to plug in to the RCA lead for the light gun? Are you saying I could plug the RCA from the lightgun in to the corresponding port I am tapping off of for SYNC for the scart connector? Or (just thought of this) should I buy one of those in line SCART pass through that have the RCA Jacks on top
nintari

Post by nintari »

got most of my supplies gathered up..however I need to check to make sure I have all the resistors I need @ home.

Think there would be any issues with me using thin shielded 23AWG 6GHz cable (typically used for HD SDI)? May be overkill but I have plenty of it here, and I have red, green, blue, yellow, and purple. Also grabbed some audio cable that is shielded for this!
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

nintari wrote:
MarkOZLAD wrote:
nintari wrote:
For lightguns that rely on composite video, I typically would unhook the green component cable from the back of the set and plug the composite lead from the light gun in to the corresponding port, and then plug the green cable back in. For this mod since you would be using the composite input port would you just hook the lightgun in to that port and it would pickup the sync (maybe needing a 75ohm termination on the back side of the lighgun pass through to terminate)? But I have seen many using s-video instead for sync.... but then how would I go about hooking up a lightgun like this...would I need to make a custom dongle?

How would it be the same if I am now feeding SCART directly to the set with no RCA Cable to plug in to the RCA lead for the light gun? Are you saying I could plug the RCA from the lightgun in to the corresponding port I am tapping off of for SYNC for the scart connector? Or (just thought of this) should I buy one of those in line SCART pass through that have the RCA Jacks on top
I see your issue now. A few options.

1) instead of wiring the scart composite video and ground internally onto the AV port, install an RCA socket and wire to it. Then use a splitter to gun and to the AV port externally

2) wire the scart composite video to an RCA and daisy chain it internally to the AV port.

3) wire the scart composite video internally and to the scart composite video our pins and use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/CGTime-Scart-Fem ... B075N614LL

nintari

Post by nintari »

DRC wrote:I've modded a Sony KV-27FV300 today. Decided to go SCART instead of DB-15 this time around. Turned out great!

DRC I have the same set and am getting ready to open her up this weekend. I assume you tapped off the audio on the same s-video port but I cant quite see where you did happen to have any pics of that? If not I should be able to find it but you did so well on the rest of the pics you made it too easy lol
nintari

Post by nintari »

nintari wrote:

DRC I have the same set and am getting ready to open her up this weekend. I assume you tapped off the audio on the same s-video port but I cant quite see where you did happen to have any pics of that? If not I should be able to find it but you did so well on the rest of the pics you made it too easy lol
odd... if I try to tone out Right and left audio I keep getting tone through both on three points....
nintari

Post by nintari »

RGB Scart to YPrPb converter, then to YPrPb on KV-27FV300

Direct RGB scart In to KV-27FV300
nintari

Post by nintari »

this audio is driving me nuts!! Guess I'll have to look at the schematics instead of tracing / toning.

An oddity I noticed.... for some reason I'm now noticing trails on screen. For example in Metroid where the background is completely black and things move across screen I notice a trail / smearing as if the phosphors are not keeping up / dimming fast enough.... going to hook up to the scart to component adaptor again to see if I get the same results and just never noticed it before... I used the same resistor values as DRC for the RGB lines.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

It's been so long since I rgb modded any crt.

I have modded a 29kv305 Brazilian set that has the BA-5D chassis.
Now recently I got the FV310 38 inches model, a heavy beast and I'm going to rgb mod it.

I don't get with this instructions is the need for blanking. There's no need for it as far as I remember.
I removed the need for any mathematic equation just cutting the traces from the OSD IC as soon as the RGB signals goes out of the chip and cut the lines when those are about to reach the jungle IC.

Inject both there

Old pic here

imghost

This time I intend to make it as simple as possible. Recap and use a scart to rca connector. So only 3 more female rca jacks are needed, for r g and b. Just 3 holes to drill.
Sync goes to composite or component and audio goes in normally.

That's the plan.
MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

fandangos wrote: This time I intend to make it as simple as possible. Recap and use a scart to rca connector. So only 3 more female rca jacks are needed, for r g and b. Just 3 holes to drill.
Sync goes to composite or component and audio goes in normally.

That's the plan.
That's how I do my mods these days. RGB in via RCA and use a scart to RCA breakout. BNC adapters can easily be used with RCA. I also build Female Scart to RCA breakouts.

MarkOZLAD

Post by MarkOZLAD »

nintari,

Can you more clearly describe your audio problems? Having trouble following.

For stereo you may need to trigger a ground point in the right audio channel RCA input. Can do this by sticking an RCA plug in the input.