Mega SD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ikaruga11

Re: Mega SD

Post by Ikaruga11 »

If only this would work with the JVC X'Eye. Luckily, I also have two Model 1 non-TMSS VA3 Sega Genesis consoles.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

spmbx wrote:A sega cd ODE would be a gdemu-like device i plug into my segacd unit, not this.
I think it'll depend on how you want to define an optical drive, whether that's as specific as just the optical assembly or as broad as referring to the entire unit; and which one you go with would depend on what you want to get out of your Genesis/MegaDrive.

If it's just the optical assembly, yeah, a GDEMU-like ODE would get you as close to all-original hardware as possible.

If you consider the Sega CD units in their entirety as optical drives, an ODE could be an FPGA implementation of the Sega CD hardware, which would net you the functionality of the unit without any of the bulk; and, because the data bus that the Sega CD uses is accessible from both the expansion port and the cartridge slot, an FPGA implementation could be attached to either. In the case of the Mega SD, that device effectively attaches an FPGA Sega CD through the cartridge slot.
mario64 wrote:
Syntax wrote:No 32x mode?
Mega SD supports 32x cartridge-based games (requires a 32x) but I don’t think you can play the small handful of 32x disc-based games. Or perhaps with the adapter they mentioned it can play those disc games?
From Bob's video, no, it effectively cannot play the disc-based 32X games, because the 32X does not pass-through the the connection to the data bus that the Mega SD uses to provide its Sega CD implementation. In order to play those games, either the Mega SD would need an FPGA implementation of the 32X, so it can play 32X games without a 32X, or you would need a Sega CD or suitable alternative connected to the expansion port.

I might have misheard Bob during that segment of the video, but I think he mentioned the possibility (and, even if he didn't, this might work) of using an edge connector dongle to connect the Mega SD to the expansion slot so that it can provide its FPGA Mega CD on the expansion port while being used in a 32X.

If we ever get to the point of a Mega SD powerful enough to run an FPGA 32X, then that should be able to run 32X CD games off of one Virtua-Racing-sized cart. Additionally, should we get to that point, I would really hope that it would be designed to simultaneously address the problem of mixing analogue video by tapping the digital RGB from inside the console (if possible) and providing digital output.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I might have misheard Bob during that segment of the video, but I think he mentioned the possibility (and, even if he didn't, this might work) of using an edge connector dongle to connect the Mega SD to the expansion slot so that it can provide its FPGA Mega CD on the expansion port while being used in a 32X.
yes, Terraonion said they might release such an adapter themselves.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

I evidently misunderstood the original announcement to indicate you could still play Sega CD games even with a 32x connected. Bob found out, however, this is not the case. With a 32x connected you totally lose Sega CD functionality and can only play cartridge-based games, at least without this adapter they mentioned. For me this is very disappointing. I'll have to stick with my CDX/32X configuration in order to be able to play all the games. Now we just need someone to mod the 32x so it passes the necessary data
LDigital

Mega SD

Post by LDigital »

mario64 wrote:I evidently misunderstood the original announcement to indicate you could still play Sega CD games even with a 32x connected. Bob found out, however, this is not the case. With a 32x connected you totally lose Sega CD functionality and can only play cartridge-based games, at least without this adapter they mentioned. For me this is very disappointing. I'll have to stick with my CDX/32X configuration in order to be able to play all the games. Now we just need someone to mod the 32x so it passes the necessary data
Todd confirmed this to me in the official forums. 32x essentially blocks the signals meaning you have to do some unplugging to use it like you would with sms games.
I think this might be moddable as there was someone who managed to mod their 32x to work with sms games but the details were lacking and it only worked with certain model genesis. Perhaps one of the tech gurus can figure it out.

Edit: found it. Works on gen 2 only and fixes sms issue. Maybe this would do it?

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... post687032

I am going to pick up a second genesis to use with this cart as a holding measure until someone figures out a fix
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

FBX wrote:
SamIAm wrote:
I'm also in the camp that would have preferred a simple replacement for the optical drive. I would have bought that immediately, but this? I'll wait until my real hardware breaks. I just re-greased the gears a couple of months ago.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. FAR more people were going to pass on the device if it had just been an ODE laser replacement. I saw several posts stating as much.
It would be nice if they would offer both options. The current Mega SD is amazing for sure. But the limitations with having to disconnect the 32X and Sega CD from the Genesis to play Sega CD games with the Mega SD are deal breakers. With a real Sega CD and 32X you don't need to disconnect anything unless you want to play Virtua Racing or use the power base converter for Master System games.
Last edited by the Goat on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Wolf_ wrote:Besides most people think the tower of power looks terrible (or at least that was by far the most popular opinion for 25 years+)
Nope. The fully assembled Genesis/Sega CD/32X looks glorious and it was glorious back int he day too.
Wolf_ wrote:needing 3 power bricks is BS.
Agreed. That is why I made a custom power supply that powers all three components from one A/C adapter.
-the Goat
broken

Post by broken »

the Goat wrote:
FBX wrote:
SamIAm wrote:
I'm also in the camp that would have preferred a simple replacement for the optical drive. I would have bought that immediately, but this? I'll wait until my real hardware breaks. I just re-greased the gears a couple of months ago.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. FAR more people were going to pass on the device if it had just been an ODE laser replacement. I saw several posts stating as much.
It would be nice if they would offer both options. The current Mega SD is amazing for sure. But the limitations with having to disconnect the 32X and Sega CD from the Genesis to play Sega CD games with the Mega SD are deal breakers. With a real Sega CD and 32X you don't need to disconnect anything unless you want to play Virtua Racing or use the power base converter for Master System games.

Considering the different variations in laser mechanisms between the Model 1 and Model 2 CD units , and then all the variations between the different all-in-one units, I don't see how just replacing the drive is remotely reasonable. Unless you guys like the idea of 6 different ODE models.

We wanted an add-on that could play as many different formats as possible on as many different machines as possible. So the cartridge slot made the most sense.

For anyone really upset about the 32X compatibility caveats, we will introduce the side expansion adapter. Then you can just park the MegaSD on the side of your Genesis or Mega Drive console and still have full CD and 32X CD compatibility even with a 32X attached.

However, that side expansion port has it's own limitations: no SMS game support and no cartridge rom loading of any kind for either Genesis/Mega Drive or 32X due to the addressing on that port, the maximum rom size is something like 256kb (don't recall the exact size) effectively making it useless. So we disabled rom loading from the side expansion port because of that.

No matter how you approach this there are compromises to be made. So we picked the format that gave us the greatest compatibility and game support.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

It’s probably commercially (and in popular opinion) the most viable way to make such a thing. However for me playing megadrive is also about using the authentic hardware and having a no-fuss experience. I don’t see the use in having an original megadrive hooked up, using with a hardware emulated version of a cd console and having all the quirks and incompatibilities that this will inevitably have. It’s a great technical achievement but it’s not for me, and that’s fine.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

For me the ideal option at this point is a 32x mod to allow SMS and Mega SD to work with it connected. I’m sure there are folks around here capable of figuring it out when the time comes and would gladly contribute to the cause. Even better would be for TO themselves to publish details on how to do the 32x mod. Clearly they have the in-depth knowledge of which signals need to get passed
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

broken wrote:...
No matter how you approach this there are compromises to be made. So we picked the format that gave us the greatest compatibility and game support.
Right, I think you probably made the correct choice for maximum profitablity. I don't fault you one bit for that.

End of the day, I guess I am not the target audience for the mega sd. Maybe once the Genesis expansion port adapter is available it will be more attractive to be.

I would buy a (cheaper) Sega CD ODE that replaces the CD drive on a real Sega CD in 2.2 seconds.
-the Goat
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

broken wrote:
the Goat wrote:
FBX wrote: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. FAR more people were going to pass on the device if it had just been an ODE laser replacement. I saw several posts stating as much.

Considering the different variations in laser mechanisms between the Model 1 and Model 2 CD units , and then all the variations between the different all-in-one units, I don't see how just replacing the drive is remotely reasonable. Unless you guys like the idea of 6 different ODE models.

We wanted an add-on that could play as many different formats as possible on as many different machines as possible. So the cartridge slot made the most sense.

For anyone really upset about the 32X compatibility caveats, we will introduce the side expansion adapter. Then you can just park the MegaSD on the side of your Genesis or Mega Drive console and still have full CD and 32X CD compatibility even with a 32X attached.

However, that side expansion port has it's own limitations: no SMS game support and no cartridge rom loading of any kind for either Genesis/Mega Drive or 32X due to the addressing on that port, the maximum rom size is something like 256kb (don't recall the exact size) effectively making it useless. So we disabled rom loading from the side expansion port because of that.

Are you part of the neosd team? Your post is written like it is. I don’t know all forum names

With the side adaptor, could it be made to still work in conjunction with an old fashion everdive?

I imagine you could make a special Rom that when loaded from an everdrive let’s the mega sd take over the show from the side port, similar to when you load a bios with real sega cd hardware.

That way we get the best of both worlds and people still have a use for their old flash hardware.

I would certainly go for this
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

LDigital wrote: Are you part of the neosd team? Your post is written like it is. I don’t know all forum names
His signature says he is part of TO anyhow.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

Ah I view on Tapatalk app. Can’t see any sigs with my settings. Hopefully we can get a direct response on my question then. Seems like a good solution if possible
broken

Post by broken »

I'm honestly not sure how it would behave in that case with an everdrive in the console and our cart plugged into the side expansion. Will have to look into that.
Todd of Retro Frog

LDigital

Mega SD

Post by LDigital »

broken wrote:I'm honestly not sure how it would behave in that case with an everdrive in the console and our cart plugged into the side expansion. Will have to look into that.
You would know better but I think the everdrive would take precedence. A mega sd bios Rom could be loaded through it to allow the mega sd to run. I’m sure there’s a solution in there somewhere.
Let us know what you find out.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

SavagePencil wrote:
spmbx wrote:I don’t really understand why it’s called a sega cd ODE if it emulates the entire console. That’s really something different.
It's not emulating the core Genesis, is it? AFAIK, it emulates the drive and the additional 68000 and the chips in the SegaCD. Hair-splitting?
spmbx wrote:We’re saying the same thing. It emulates the entire sega cd console, it’s not an optical drive emulator. This isn’t even close to hair-splitting.
Yeah it is :) ... the name is 'Mega sd'. The strap line is 'mega drive and mega cd fpga cartridge'. The 3rd expanded claim or feature is that it incorperates the 'world's first mega-cd/seg cd fpga optical disc emulator'. An article has a abrupt headline that's not the full story and you don't 'understand'... you're splitting hairs... with an article writer... not terraonion. Climb down ;)

Terraonion at it again? They truely are on a roll eh? ... Despite not always hitting outright home runs with their work imho their passion and efforts are truely impressive.

Despite loving the look of the mk1 semi-tower of power (mega drive+cd only) myself I've got to agree this is the only practical approach - the rarity + fragility of the mega cd vs base unit is an unfortunate pedigree. Direct 32x support would have been a cherry on top, but I'd choose looking after the cd over the 32x (presuming after all it was an either/or choice and not - as I reckon a liklihood - the only practical thing they could do on their setup)... besides don't honestly believe people love the 32x, never see much passion for it even amongst those who worked on it - which 32x game would you truely miss if it just never happened? ...there's so little there [could just end this point here] that didn't happen elsewhere but better [coffin meet nail].
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

KRIKzz is not going quietly into the night.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/11429 ... 79138?s=21

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8955.0

tl;dr - He has strongly indicated that Sega CD support will be included in the next-generation Mega Everdrive.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Small niche markets like these are the type where consumers gain the most from competition. Very happy to hear those news from KRIKzz.
donluca

Post by donluca »

https://youtu.be/i569jGYkDiU

looks like a first review is up.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

RetroRGB's review is online as well and Smokemonster also did a live session demo'ing the unit.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

In case someone watches RetroRGB's video and tunes away before the end; Sonic CD stutters like crazy, looking borderline unplayable, but since this happens in his demonstration of original hardware too I assume it's just a capturing issue. This threw me off initially :)
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

SamIAm wrote:KRIKzz is not going quietly into the night.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/11429 ... 79138?s=21

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8955.0

tl;dr - He has strongly indicated that Sega CD support will be included in the next-generation Mega Everdrive.
If he can beat the MegaSD on features/price, more power to him.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I hear lots of funky things about Terra Onion, so I might just wait on the next Mega ED. He's pretty reliable.
naz

Post by naz »

This is the best part:

krikzz forum: "...once mega-ed will get CD support, mega-sd will have nothing against everdrive except like notably higher price than mega-ed."

:D
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

naz wrote:This is the best part:

krikzz forum: "...once mega-ed will get CD support, mega-sd will have nothing against everdrive except like notably higher price than mega-ed."

:D
Has krikzz expressed any potential support for/production of a dongle to put its FPGA SegaCD on the expansion port to achieve support for 32X CD games, similar to what TerraOnion proposed (ostensibly for a future revision)?
broken

Post by broken »

Side expansion support isn’t for a future revision. It’s a simple add on passive adapter that allows the MegaSD to attach to it.

We will produce the adapters if there is enough demand.
Todd of Retro Frog

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

broken wrote:Side expansion support isn’t for a future revision. It’s a simple add on passive adapter that allows the MegaSD to attach to it.
So, to play 32X CD games, one would need one Mega SD with that adapter attached to the expansion port, and then either an original game or a second Mega SD in the 32X?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is the issue here that people really want to play the six or so 32X CD games (all up-colored FMV re-releases IIRC), or do they just want to not unplug the 32X?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

SavagePencil wrote:Is the issue here that people really want to play the six or so 32X CD games (all up-colored FMV re-releases IIRC)
Yes.
SavagePencil wrote:or do they just want to not unplug the 32X?
Yes.

I also don't want to unplug my Sega CD. I have zero use for a FPGA version of the Sega CD's CPU, ASIC, memory, etc. An ODE to replace the mechanical CD-ROM drive would be great though.
-the Goat