Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
47%

Total votes: 53

BulletMagnet

Re: 2020 (D) Presidential Primary - Welcome to the Gravelanc

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rob wrote:"White nationalists" have little influence and no power. Or maybe you can name some powerful figures for me?
Harderrrr...
At no point in this thread have I made an issue of something so rare that there exists only two examples, and from those two examples fear-mongered a nightmare future for a group that wasn't involved in either of those two examples. I'm interested in the macro. When I use an example it is to illustrate a wider issue.
There we fucking go! :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

You could've bashed your elbows on the keyboard and it would've made no difference.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Rob wrote:high rate of rape in Alaska
Is due to the constant raping committed by its pale male population, enabled by incompetent local government. A little thinking should have told you demographic data on offenders is collected. So is geographic; the most assaults happen in an area where natives are less than 7% of the total.

And don't think I missed the admission that you're a result of immigration yourself. :wink:
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

system11 wrote:Mostly (but not entirely) for people posting in and reading this thread - probably worth reading the rules page as I updated them.
Honestly 90% of the problems here come from Rob turning this into a race thread. And then everyone is easily baited in engaging him on the topic. (And it's not just BulletMagnet, there's been many others who have been baited into that pointless abyss over the years.) system, even many of the largest gutters of the internet, such as the Bodybuilding Political Forum, have a rule against racial superiority posts.

(And as I've exasperatedly begged those who engage him on the matter again and again to understand - the race thing is just a shield or a decoy for a real, substantive issue in his life. He obviously wants attention. Even if it's negative, it feeds some need of his. Look at his posts from the start of this thread versus now. Small and normal inputs, not a swirling vortex that swallows everything into oblivion.)

This thread is already inherently antagonistic - our terminal values vary greatly when it comes to our bank accounts and how we view our wars of capital acquisition. Our degrees of delusion also differ on how much we can separate a politician's personality from the actual system they serve. Friction and emotion are fine and normal.

But absolutely nothing of value comes from these statements (they're not arguments) about how the white race is the best or other races are inferior. It drowns everything else out. Just look at the exchange above, nobody got anything out of that. Words are written, nothing is said or heard. That's the primary problem here. (If there was a "Rob's Race Thread About Race (Specifically Which Ones Are Best And Which Are Doo-doo)" thread here, with the same exact posts, you'd delete that in a heartbeat. And ban anyone who'd try to recreate it. So why tolerate it, just because it's embedded inside here?)

There's like 25 of us here, and we've known each other forever. It's inevitable we'll have bad days. (Friendly getting furious at me because I kept making fun of the Vita is one of the weirdest experiences I've had on the internet - I actually like the guy's posts. When they weren't part of forum wars or passive aggressive "I hate this guy" type stuff. I wish he was still here, just, chilled out a little. There's only a few years left in this place, feels really empty sometimes.)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Honestly 90% of the problems here come from Rob turning this into a race thread.
Have you been paying attention to the campaigning or anything at all? If the topic of race offends you, you should not concern yourself with American politics and just watch cartoons.
But absolutely nothing of value comes from these statements
The guy hawking expired tins of communism.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Rob, I told you I don't read your posts anymore. I apologize for reading that one from last week that gave you a mistaken impression. I scrolled past it quickly, but it only takes 1 second to read one of your posts to completion. A glazing glance at it as it blurred past was all it took to make my day a little shittier. If we had an ignore list, you'd have been on mine years ago.

I want to talk about things. I want to think about things. Here, it's specifically about where society was, and where it is going. You, have a terminal need to derail as far away from such things as possible.

I'm sorry your life sucks so much man.

Like I said to that other guy, I love you. Stop asking people to hurt you just because you're sad and in pain. It's not going to help anything.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BryanM wrote:Rob, I told you I don't read your posts anymore.
Believe me, given the mischaracterizing above, I can tell.
I want to talk about things. I want to think about things.
You and me both.
Here, it's specifically about where society was, and where it is going. You, have a terminal need to derail as far away from such things as possible.
I personally, Rob of Shmups Forum, am making America and American politics about race. I have invented this for my own personal satisfaction. But seriously, I think you are confused about the world you are living in.

system11

Post by system11 »

Identity politics really is the worst thing to ever happen to race relations since Apartheid.

That said, Rob you have to stop and think about some of the stuff you've been posting. As soon as you start wheeling out Israel conspiracy theories, it puts you in the select group of wingnut crazies along with the far left and far right. Just look at the fucking mess the UK Labour party is in. I don't usually do this, but there have been various reports and complaints about your posts, and honestly the majority I've ignored because they were in my opinion overly fragile. My tolerance of speech is pretty high - some of these points have been important points people don't want to hear, but in my opinion you're slipping down a spiral now that you don't want to end up at the bottom of and pretty soon will be in clear breach of the rules.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

the majority I've ignored because they were in my opinion overly fragile
Shoe and Friendly were banned for much less. The content of most posts is "I hate you" to every perceived slight (he probably didn't even acknowledge that I also criticized other people for taking his bait).

Friendly never went above a 20% ratio on that. Rob is probably over 80% or something.

The racism isn't the core problem - it's successfully hijacking the thread into a miserable pool of toxicity.

I hate opening this thread these days. And I fucking love arguing with people.

Case in point:
system11 wrote:Just look at the fucking mess the UK Labour party is in.
Some moderate centrists are trying to regain control of the party from the right-wingers who've controlled it for the past ~40 years?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't read your posts
The content of most posts is "I hate you"
I believed you the first time.
system11 wrote:As soon as you start wheeling out Israel conspiracy theories, it puts you in the select group of wingnut crazies along with the far left and far right.
Gotcha.
system11

Post by system11 »

BryanM wrote:
system11 wrote:Just look at the fucking mess the UK Labour party is in.
Some moderate centrists are trying to regain control of the party from the right-wingers who've controlled it for the past ~40 years?
Not quite - the hard left are in control of it, the marxists. That's primarily Corbyn and McDonnel, people who were kept at arms length back in the 80s while there were still sensible leaders there who understood the problem they represent. The party is beloved by the "liberal" left and students, who despise working class views. Moderates (including centrists left over from the Blair years) are slowly being forced out by the Momentum mob, who are basically a reincarnation of Militant - a far left group who tried the same thing in the 70s. Labours last classic actual-working-class period was the Kinnock years. Antisemitism binds the elements of Labour who are in control, together. They're the first party to get hit with a full EHRC investigation since the BNP.

There isn't actually a right wing party in the UK, not unless you count the fringe parties and those are very dodgy, little more than BNP remasters. The Conservatives are basically sat around or just to the left of Blair, who was a centrist through and through. Not because they want to be (well some do, most just go along with it), but because they're trapped in a "do what we think people will vote for / virtual signal" loop.

I see a lot of US folk equate Labour to the Democrats and Conservatives to Republicans, but that's a whole spectrum shift. The Dems are closer to the Tories than Labour. I think that even though US politics are quite a clown show at the moment, ours are actually much more broken.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

system11 wrote:Antisemitism binds the elements of Labour who are in control, together.
Israel is a real country that exists. Not an imaginary world of perfect elves who frolic in the woods - just fallible human beings. Here are the objective political positions in the real world on the Israel-Palestine conflict:

Far Left: Emigrate all Israeli citizens who wish to, to a place like Montana or Utah. Give the Palestinians (formerly known as Philistines) their country back.

Left: Encourage Israel to stop annexing land and abide to even one territorial treaty. Even if a new one needs to be drafted. Actually enforce it.

Right: Allow Israel to assume complete ownership of the remaining small regions of the west bank and gaza strip that are outside their control. Another forty to seventy years should be enough.

Far Right: Manifest destiny the entire middle east. Have Israel administer it as a proxy state.

The "far" positions as you see, are what one would call "unrealistic" to "insane". Note how I use the word "far" with an objective definition that means something, and isn't just a snarl word?

The "Right" position is the current policy our coalition has - a one state solution where only Israel remains. You could be disingenuous and say "You're full of it, the guys on the TV tell me we have a two-state position!"

Which is false. Step one to a two state solution is to acknowledge that there are two states.
They're the first party to get hit with a full EHRC investigation since the BNP
Ok. That sounds totally different than the TRUMP IS A RUSSIAN STOOOOOGE probe we had here. I am totally sure we'll hear about this again.

Horrific transgressions against humanity that'll completely dwarf the stuff that's done in the open and already known, like the Iraq war and our torture+rape dungeons.

Or the forces that are currently angling for another regime change in Iran. Which is still the underlying terminal goal of this engineered distract-and-smear strategy.

You know what would be a lot easier? If invading Iran were the moral and correct thing to do. Just like Medicare For All, you could just say the thing you want to do honestly and out loud. All the time on repeat like a broken record. And people would build a movement to make it happen.

That's the difference between corporate politics and popular politics.
I see a lot of US folk equate Labour to the Democrats and Conservatives to Republicans, but that's a whole spectrum shift.
The Tories are the same as Richard Nixon - to the right of Voldemort. But shackled by opposing forces that still have some power left.

Your communists made a few more gains in the past that ours were able to. Just because it's impossible to roll back nationalized health care or the minimum wage, doesn't mean that the donors don't have wet dreams of getting rid of that stuff.
the left of Blair, who was a centrist through and through
There is no such thing as a "centrist" or a "moderate". It's pablum - a meme to pretend to not have an active position on something when they very much do have a position on something. "Decorum poisoning", leftists call it. (Which is much more polite than the term the right wing uses... but seriously, how fucked up is it for it be considered rude to admit to having actual goals and opinions?)

You're either for or against something. Or agnostic, which is active support to the status quo.

Everything is political and ideological - even retreating from reality is itself an act that cedes power to another.
quash

Post by quash »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeGBOD8_yZ4

When did you realize The Matrix is non-fiction, except instead of sentient robots it's baby boomers?
system11

Post by system11 »

BryanM wrote:There is no such thing as a "centrist" or a "moderate". It's pablum - a meme to pretend to not have an active position on something when they very much do have a position on something. "Decorum poisoning", leftists call it. (Which is much more polite than the term the right wing uses... but seriously, how fucked up is it for it be considered rude to admit to having actual goals and opinions?)
No, that's not what a centrist is. That's what people on far ends of the spectrum claim a centrist is, some very angrily claiming that centrists are "enabling fascists" or indeed "enabling communists" except you hear that rather less often. Both claims are retarded. A centrist is willing to listen to ideas from "left" or "right" and tends to feel one way more than the other on any particular one of those ideas. It does not mean not having a position on individual ideas, but not feeling compelled to pick based on idealogical leaning.

And yes the EHRC is very different to the Trump circus. It's become involved due to actual facts rather than media spun allegations or whining from 'the other side', their most recent press releases until this were actually slamming the currrent government over spending cuts affecting the poor.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeGBOD8_yZ4

When did you realize The Matrix is non-fiction, except instead of sentient robots it's baby boomers?
Shit, dude. It's not as weird as becoming a Navy ensign at the age of 47 because nobody else will hire you.

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

Forget weird, how about it being downright inter-generational theft?

And yet you want to give these greedy fucks even more money, because there's a marginal chance that could be you one day.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:Forget weird, how about it being downright inter-generational theft?

And yet you want to give these greedy fucks even more money, because there's a marginal chance that could be you one day.
You're gonna have to be a little more specific with who're referring to with "greedy fucks." The military? The Republicans? Who exactly am I going to be one day?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

Boomers. It doesn't matter which party they affiliate with, it doesn't matter how much money they claim to have, every last one of them is entitled to the core. The ones who deny it are just a little more self aware than their peers and don't want to admit that they lived life on easy mode at our expense.

Again, you and your ilk will continue to deny that Social Security will inevitably fail and bankrupt our country, because you have an investment in the system (past what we're all forced to contribute, that is) and can't bring yourselves to admit that you are basically the same as the boomers who ruined everything for us, only you have much less to show for your warped value system. Love em or hate em, at least the boomers were self serving and laughed all the way to the bank. What are you getting out of the system? Serious question.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:Boomers. It doesn't matter which party they affiliate with, it doesn't matter how much money they claim to have, every last one of them is entitled to the core. The ones who deny it are just a little more self aware than their peers and don't want to admit that they lived life on easy mode at our expense.
I think you're a little confused as to whose expense they lived life on easy mode (Baby boom started in 1944):
Spoiler
(Mods can we please get an image tag to resize pictures?)

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

quash wrote:Boomers. It doesn't matter which party they affiliate with, it doesn't matter how much money they claim to have, every last one of them is entitled to the core.

...can't bring yourselves to admit that you are basically the same as the boomers who ruined everything for us
It's not really productive to do the generational scapegoating game. It's just another way to Otherize someone and generate conflict when there wouldn't be any naturally. Humans are just human. Even the boomers.

The only difference between us and them is that they grew up on television. Force fed the shallow corporate memes from birth. We grew up during the emergence of the internet, where it's possible to hear alternative opinions to austerity and unnecessary war. Where we can do much better than David Brooks and Mark Shields.

We can assign money without ever even printing it, and do it plenty for corporate handouts all the time, but you act as if its a limited physical construction like oxygen or water or something.
quash

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:I think you're a little confused as to whose expense they lived life on easy mode (Baby boom started in 1944)
lmao yes, the federal reserve is your friend!

Seriously man, come on. Not this bullshit of how high taxes used to be again. The IRS collected the highest amount of taxes in history in 2016.
BryanM wrote:It's not really productive to do the generational scapegoating game. It's just another way to Otherize someone and generate conflict when there wouldn't be any naturally. Humans are just human. Even the boomers.
Boomers are the first generation to have it better than their parents and their kids, at least in modern history. I think that speaks to something different about them that they don't even have the foresight to ensure their progeny doesn't have a shorter and poorer life than they did.
The only difference between us and them is that they grew up on television. Force fed the shallow corporate memes from birth. We grew up during the emergence of the internet, where it's possible to hear alternative opinions to austerity and unnecessary war. Where we can do much better than David Brooks and Mark Shields.
Have you read BulletMagnet's posts? Plenty of people are still plugged in to the MSM matrix, although more and more are slowly weening themselves off from it. Thankfully we have gatekeepers like Alex Jones to prevent anyone from figuring out what's really going on, so expect another decade or so of the country chasing its own tail.
We can assign money without ever even printing it, and do it plenty for corporate handouts all the time, but you act as if its a limited physical construction like oxygen or water or something.
Makes you wonder what might happen to such a system if it were to fall out of their control, huh?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

quash wrote:Have you read BulletMagnet's posts?
I am disturbed that he seems to be an apologist for the actions of the democrats.

Republicans wield power - they implement their billionaire tax cuts and wars. Stuff that either can't be undone or doesn't get undone. The democrats, do not wield power, they exist solely to defeat and suppress leftists. Their function when they do bungle up and get elected (mostly through the efforts of the GOP being The Worst, not by the DEM's merit), mainly seems to be to keep seats warm on the Supreme Court for Mitch McConnell to fill them in a couple years, I guess?

Joe Biden is already doing the "Trump is a special kind of evil, but republicans are otherwise super cool and we need to bomb Iran" shit already.

His +10 on Trump will evaporate deeper than Hillary's +20 did when the actual election arrives. With "opposition" like this... At this point we might as well coronate Donald as god emperor for life for real.
Makes you wonder what might happen to such a system if it were to fall out of their control, huh?
I suppose the countries within our hegemonic alliance would shift into being something more like Iceland?

It's hard to call that cataclysmic or mild. For the white collar criminals who actually got to visit prison there, I guess it would be a world-ending event for them.
quash

Post by quash »

BryanM wrote:Republicans wield power - they implement their billionaire tax cuts and wars. Stuff that either can't be undone or doesn't get undone. The democrats, do not wield power, they exist solely to defeat and suppress leftists.
I'd wager it's the other way around, except that Republicans can't even manage to keep their base intact.

We can pull out of Afghanistan tomorrow, if we want to. We have no real stake there besides CIA fuckery with the opium trade. We can raise taxes as soon as the next Democrat president takes office. We can't undo sixty years of demographic displacement without taking drastic action, and seeing how Democrats are projected to win every presidential election from 2024 onwards, it may come sooner than you think.
I suppose the countries within our hegemonic alliance would shift into being something more like Iceland?
Yeah, I guess nothing would happen. All those shareholders in the federal reserve who we don't even know the identities of would just roll over and take it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:demographic displacement
Just say "White Genocide," Rob has long since pushed things past the euphemism and innuendo stage in this thread.
quash wrote:Seriously man, come on. Not this bullshit of how high taxes used to be again. The IRS collected the highest amount of taxes in history in 2016.
There are two explanations for you saying this:

1. You thought I wouldn't notice you making the massive error of comparing the 1944 tax rate to the actual dollar figure collected more than half a century later (in a country with triple the population). In which case I'm insulted.

2. You got this talking point off one of your fever swamp news sources and failed to notice the massive error yourself. In which case I'm deeply worried that our naval personnel manning those huge warships have such a weak understanding of math. I mean just think of the possible consequences...
quash wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1GK0HU

What do these three news articles all have in common? I was there for all of them.
Ah.

quash

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:Just say "White Genocide," Rob has long since pushed things past the euphemism and innuendo stage in this thread.
I mean yeah that's part of it, but just you wait until the new ethnic majorities start fighting among themselves. Ever been in a neighborhood with black streets and latino streets? You will be, eventually.
There are two explanations for you saying this:

1. You thought I wouldn't notice you making the massive error of comparing the 1944 tax rate to the actual dollar figure collected more than half a century later (in a country with triple the population). In which case I'm insulted.

2. You got this talking point off one of your fever swamp news sources and failed to notice the massive error yourself. In which case I'm deeply worried that our naval personnel manning those huge warships have such a weak understanding of math. I mean just think of the possible consequences...
or 3. You have completely missed the point that I have made time and time again in this thread that the tax rate doesn't necessarily mean people are actually paying that much, nor does it necessarily reflect tax revenue, and as such, it is a misleading metric at best.

or 4. You're still completely and totally ignoring the fact that your parents/grandparents robbed you blind before you were born. But more taxes will fix that, right? :roll:
Ah.
Just to be sure I didn't make a totally bogus flub, I went back to that post and counted the number of articles I linked. I count three above my statement and one beneath it which is clearly intended to be read as a separate point. I know you have a hard time with these things, so let's make it as simple as possible.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's not 100% their fault. The electorate, and what they're allowed to select from, is curated from top-down.

Lee Carter's district is a wonderful example. Place had been solid Republican since the dinosaurs. Lee Carter, dreaded DSA agent, became the democratic nominee one year. He helped to increase turnout by roughly 50% and beat the republican. By a margin of ten percent. (And of course as a reward, They tried to primary his ass out with Mark Wolfe, a "former" republican.)

As has been pointed out a bunch of times, "none of the above" would have been the president in 2016 if it had been on the ballot.

The system is engineered to be this way. Who even has free time to run a campaign or show up to committee meetings?

* Rich people, but not so rich as to be unmotivated by a $5 million payout at the end of the rainbow. Lawyers are the perfect vessels for this, as they know a lot of wealthy people they can beg money and exposure from.

* NEETs. If they're not broke. Gas, a car, and insurance costs money, man.

* Retirees. If they have some savings and are physically able to walk marathons every day.

That's about it. It's kind of a miracle we don't grind orphans into gruel and feed them to cows, when you think about it.
quash

Post by quash »

ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

The News with Rick Sanchez had an episode (Monday?) where they laid waste to the US/Israeli narrative on Iran. And then in the same show they had the holistic health lady on and a report about UFOs... *facepalm*
A well balanced breakfast, etc.
Since this has been mentioned, I think the word "regulated" also needs attention. Whereas people would assume it means regulated as in "encumbered by bureaucratic rules, restrictions, and legalese" it seems more likely that it means "well equipped." Common military gear was often referred to as regular issue or regulation. See for instance the "regulation greatcoat" which is in some ways the predecessor of the trench coat.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Thom Hartmann has had Helen Caldicott on several times. I know he has a lot of think tank slimes on there, but Helen is an especially crankpot crank that doesn't need amplifying. It demeans and delegitimizes us all.

The double standard is real of course. CNN can have a "fun" segment on UFO's or spend weeks on fantasy theories of a missing plane disappearing into another dimension from falling into a black hole and not be considered crank news.

That's the familiarity of exposure.

The simulation world as crafted by media is remarkably cult like - why would anyone care about actors in general unless they were told to care about them? Did radio use to have its actors on for hours of mid day advertising for their wares? It's super weird man.